Go to footer

You brought a snack....It better be a healthy one!

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: You brought a snack....It better be a healthy one!

Postby amynkansas » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:41 am

Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby LCneiny » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Last day of the first challenge of 2013!! Did everyone post their final WC, what you want to do to make yourself healthier and/or happier? How does everyone feel about starting on the 25th? Or was the plan to start again tomorrow....I just can't remember.

More importantly though, congrats on getting through this first one!! Let's keep the momentum going :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby Muffinmom » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:18 am

I'm going to attempt to start challenge #2 today, well see how it goes since I'm on myway to Houston right now. Buti brought my sneakers!

Healthy change for 2013? My target is to workout 5-6 times a week at least half hr at a clip. If I can get that down, I know the other healthy habits will follow.

Happy Monday!
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby absolutelyvlc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 am

I'm in for another kick at the can.
It was a holiday here yesterday, so other than drink my challenge goal of water and eat a balanced meal for dinner I.did.nothing.

I didn't do as well at the last Challenge as I know I can do. But I think that means that the goals I set for myself were good ones. Ones that will improve Me if and when I manage to achieve them. When I first started the Challenge (a million new moons ago) it was difficult to get 7 point days let alone 10 point days. But then by the last round of the Challenge (before we started switching things up) 10 point days weren't all that hard - which is good. That means I managed to incorporate these healthy habits into my lifestyle.
So now that I'm getting 6/7 point days I know I'm working on stuff again that will eventually become part of my healthy lifestyle.

Today is the first day of my new job. I'm stoked. Of course I wake up to freezing rain conditions. Should make the first drive in very interesting.
Anyway, since I worked all weekend (wedding makeup - yay! :roll: ) and did diddly squat yesterday (and no, that's not a new form of squatting exercises), and also since everything was closed yesterday cuz of the holiday, we have ZERO groceries in the house. I have a apple, and handful of figs and some crackers for lunch. Yeah, that is decidedly NOT balanced. Me thinks I'll be going out to get some lunch today. I hope there's somewhere close by my new office. With healthy options on the menu.

I'm rambling. My point was that I DID NOT start the new challenge yesterday. Was yesterday the official start day? Is there a new google doc or rules or anything?
If we haven't, I vote we start on the 25th (that way we can indulge at our Oscar parties hahaha j/k).
If we have already started can someone forward me the google doc/rules.
Thanks dolls!

Rob says; jogging is a healthy exercise
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby obava » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 am

I'm all for a new challenge, but it sounds like starting the 25th is what works best. Can I ask that we make a little change? I don't like the RAOK challenge. It was fun at first, but then it became something I dreaded. Did anyone else feel this way?
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby absolutelyvlc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 am

RAOK??
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:16 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:RAOK??

yes, Richard Armitage is more than OK ;) :lol: sorry, I'm a dork :oops: :P

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 am

I haven't stuck to the schedule, per se :? but I have done decent this time around :) so I'm up for a new one too. I actually made myself sit down yesterday and come up with three personal goals, a housekeeping schedule, and an exercise schedule 8-) ( I totally thought "sh-eh-jule" when typing "schedule", due to our accent conversation from the daily thread :lol: )
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby LCneiny » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:50 am

obava wrote:I'm all for a new challenge, but it sounds like starting the 25th is what works best. Can I ask that we make a little change? I don't like the RAOK challenge. It was fun at first, but then it became something I dreaded. Did anyone else feel this way?

Random Act of Kindness? Sure I had plans to either add another weekly goal/remove a "free" point, or replace this one with a new one.

If everyone else is okay with it, I'll replace this weekly goal with a different one.

I know what you mean Obava. And I think it speaks volumes that it's difficult to get that little deed in every week. Anyway, my goals lately have been very "me-focused" and while I know I need to do good things for others, I also know I really need to look at myself and improve ME before I can do better things in the rest of my life/world.
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby LCneiny » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 am

kelbel75 wrote:I haven't stuck to the schedule, per se :? but I have done decent this time around :) so I'm up for a new one too. I actually made myself sit down yesterday and come up with three personal goals, a housekeeping schedule, and an exercise schedule 8-) ( I totally thought "sh-eh-jule" when typing "schedule", due to our accent conversation from the daily thread :lol: )

You're so prepared!! I'm happy you're joining in again, yay :D

Do you pronounce schedule with an "sh" or a "sk" sound? I love the way our Brit counterparts say it with an "sh" but I would feel silly saying it like that, like I was pretending since I'm American.
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:35 am

LCneiny wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:I haven't stuck to the schedule, per se :? but I have done decent this time around :) so I'm up for a new one too. I actually made myself sit down yesterday and come up with three personal goals, a housekeeping schedule, and an exercise schedule 8-) ( I totally thought "sh-eh-jule" when typing "schedule", due to our accent conversation from the daily thread :lol: )

You're so prepared!! I'm happy you're joining in again, yay :D

Do you pronounce schedule with an "sh" or a "sk" sound? I love the way our Brit counterparts say it with an "sh" but I would feel silly saying it like that, like I was pretending since I'm American.

I say it with an "sk" sound. I never know if I should pronounce something in the "native" way or not. will I draw more attention to myself if I try to "fit in" when I clearly don't, or seem disrespectful when I intentionally say it wrong? :?
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby amynkansas » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:41 pm

how's the anti-pop thing going kel?
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby absolutelyvlc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:42 am

Ah, random act of kindness. Yes this was a difficult one! Difficult to accomplish a genuine, going-above-and-beyond act. Like Kelbel said, I don't count everyday common courtesy type things like opening a door for someone, or letting the person behind you in line with one item go ahead of you and your bulging buggy of groceries. so yes, this was a hard point to achieve. I committed to five RAOKs per month, and sadly only accomplished 3 in January.I'm k with doing away with it or not. Whatever is decided is good with me . I'm still going to keep it as part of my personal challenge. But maybe just modify it to two genuine RAOKs a month or smth. I think even just thinking about "did I do smth nice for someone today?", even if it is just an everyday common courtesy, I think for me anyway, reflecting on that helps me to Live in the Positive and be cognizant of bringing the positive into my actions.
Hm, as I'm writing this I'm contemplating the notion that maybe the simple everyday common courtesy gestures are just as important if not maybe even more so than the bigger out -of-the-norm type gestures. Maybe the challenge should be to focus on what you have brought to life with your everyday good person behaviours. Hmmm........
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby obava » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:52 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:Ah, random act of kindness. Yes this was a difficult one! Difficult to accomplish a genuine, going-above-and-beyond act. Like Kelbel said, I don't count everyday common courtesy type things like opening a door for someone, or letting the person behind you in line with one item go ahead of you and your bulging buggy of groceries. so yes, this was a hard point to achieve. I committed to five RAOKs per month, and sadly only accomplished 3 in January.I'm k with doing away with it or not. Whatever is decided is good with me . I'm still going to keep it as part of my personal challenge. But maybe just modify it to two genuine RAOKs a month or smth. I think even just thinking about "did I do smth nice for someone today?", even if it is just an everyday common courtesy, I think for me anyway, reflecting on that helps me to Live in the Positive and be cognizant of bringing the positive into my actions.
Hm, as I'm writing this I'm contemplating the notion that maybe the simple everyday common courtesy gestures are just as important if not maybe even more so than the bigger out -of-the-norm type gestures. Maybe the challenge should be to focus on what you have brought to life with your everyday good person behaviours. Hmmm........

I was just thinking this weekend that I need to be more positive, both in my outlook and in my interactions with others. Work is stressful. Us managers are now supposed to be writing up employees every time we have to talk to them about an aspect of their work, so that's creating a weird energy. Also, we are having serious budget problems and I don't know how to solve mine so I'm walking around thinking, thinking, thinking about laying people off, cutting services, cutting hours, firing clients- nothing good! I feel like I've got a Pigpen cloud of negative energy surrounding me and following me around constantly.

I could use some positivity in my life right about now!

PS Is it coincidence that I'm struggling with budget issues both at work and at home??? :?:
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am

amynkansas wrote:how's the anti-pop thing going kel?

*whines* it's so hard! (TWSS) I started last Wed., had pop when we went out to eat on Sunday, REALLY struggled on Monday...and then Tues. I fell off the wagon & had one :( oh well, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I will fall, but the important thing is to get back up again, right? ;)

as for the "random acts of kindness": I think that it should be a state of mind, rather than a check-list to mark off. so as long as you're aware of your kindness, or lack thereof, throughout the day, it will hopefully make you more inclined to positivity. it helps when it comes back to you :D but when it doesn't, it's difficult :|

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 am

kelbel75 wrote:as for the "random acts of kindness": I think that it should be a state of mind, rather than a check-list to mark off. so as long as you're aware of your kindness, or lack thereof, throughout the day, it will hopefully make you more inclined to positivity. it helps when it comes back to you :D but when it doesn't, it's difficult :|

I agree with this. It seems a little weird to purposely seek out 'nice' things to do and just sets you up to feel like a big asshole if you don't meet your goal. But if you just make it a general habit to be aware of what is going on around you and not walking around in a self-centered bubble you'll find you do ROAK's all the time without even noticing. They don't even have to be big things. Sometimes just smiling at a harried cashier is enough. Everyone on this board is a nice person, so I don't feel like there's anyone who just assholes their way through life, you just might not be aware of how nice you are. =)
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby LCneiny » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am

JodieO wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:as for the "random acts of kindness": I think that it should be a state of mind, rather than a check-list to mark off. so as long as you're aware of your kindness, or lack thereof, throughout the day, it will hopefully make you more inclined to positivity. it helps when it comes back to you :D but when it doesn't, it's difficult :|

I agree with this. It seems a little weird to purposely seek out 'nice' things to do and just sets you up to feel like a big asshole if you don't meet your goal. But if you just make it a general habit to be aware of what is going on around you and not walking around in a self-centered bubble you'll find you do ROAK's all the time without even noticing. They don't even have to be big things. Sometimes just smiling at a harried cashier is enough. Everyone on this board is a nice person, so I don't feel like there's anyone who just assholes their way through life, you just might not be aware of how nice you are. =)

This is how I approached the point for last challenge. I tried to make sure I was in a positive mode for most of the day/week and tried to go above and beyond at least once. For me, it wasn't a huge thing but more like a small thing that had the potential to be really helpful to someone - like Jodie's example of smiling or joking with a harried cashier, or leaving an extra big tip when going out somewhere.
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby absolutelyvlc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 pm

This to everything each of you said. I just like to actually tick it off on my spreadsheet because that makes me actually stop and think 'did I do something today that made a difference? Something that warrants me getting this point?'. And that means I'm actively reflecting on my behaviour and not just doing whatever. I have to cognizantly think about my actions throughout the day (or week, or whatevs). It's amazing to me how much a difference you can make to someone's life by the simplest of things . It's also amazing to me how often people look at you like you're trying to robb them or smth when you do smth nice for them. Crazy. But that's a whole other conversation isn't it.
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:47 am

Well, I tell you one thing's for sure - Obava wins all my gold stars and a big, giant hug to boot!!
I just got your "no special reason for this, congratulations on getting a new job and getting out of your
shiteous
other job" card in the mail, you sweet gem of a woman! If I were there in WY with you I'd cover you in smooches and make you smile as big as your card made me smile :D :D :D :D :D
Thank you.
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby amynkansas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 am

i am hoping to actually start exercising soon. I haven't been on the treadmill in weeks. I know what I would tell one of you if you said that..... "just get on for 10 minutes"...so that's what my goal is today.

speaking on gettin on for 10 minutes.....

amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:55 pm

amynkansas wrote:i am hoping to actually start exercising soon. I haven't been on the treadmill in weeks. I know what I would tell one of you if you said that..... "just get on for 10 minutes"...so that's what my goal is today.

speaking on gettin on for 10 minutes.....

I'd get on that for ten minutes. Or longer :)
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby Muffinmom » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:27 am

Hi! I'm back home, yeay!
I did great on the first day of my trip, pretty good 2nd day, by the 3rd day I was going down hill and 4th day I just gave up trying to "be good"... so I'm back to square one today.

I guess we're starting the challenge next week? I TOTALLY agree on not tracking the ROAK for the next challenge. I need to draft my goals though. Image

Got loads to catch up at the office so cant' hang around today - boohoo - loved all the pretty decorations - I just might pull my guitar out tonight after all these guitar pics!
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby amynkansas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Muffinmom wrote:Hi! I'm back home, yeay!
I did great on the first day of my trip, pretty good 2nd day, by the 3rd day I was going down hill and 4th day I just gave up trying to "be good"... so I'm back to square one today.

I guess we're starting the challenge next week? I TOTALLY agree on not tracking the ROAK for the next challenge. I need to draft my goals though. Image

Got loads to catch up at the office so cant' hang around today - boohoo - loved all the pretty decorations - I just might pull my guitar out tonight after all these guitar pics!

then I will add a couple more
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby LCneiny » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Locking this thread down for the new challenge starting TOMORROW :)
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Biggest Loser