Go to footer

Bu-ut oh! Oh, Those Summer Nights

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: Bu-ut oh! Oh, Those Summer Nights

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 am

Gianna wrote:Are blackberries - the fruit- the same as black raspberries? I know blackberries - the phone - are not.

We used to pick black raspberries as a kid and my gram makes the best jelly with them. I loathe all jelly except for that.

Google says they are not the same.

Are Blackberries the same as black raspberries?

Answer:Blackberries, (red) raspberries and black raspberries are distinct but closely related fruits, all in the genus Rubus. Fruits in this genus are actually an amalgamated fruit consisting of small drupelets that grow around a common core called a receptacle. Black raspberries have a dark color similar to blackberries, but like the red raspberry, the drupelets are more attatched to each other than the receptacle, so when harvested they leave behind the receptacle, which becomes a "rasp", causing the fruit to have a hollow appearance. In blackberries, on the other hand, the drupelets are more attached to the receptacle than each other, so when harvested the receptacle remains in the middle of the fruit. Blackberries are also typically a bit longer, while both types of raspberries are rounder. All three types can form hybrids, such as the boysenberry, which is a cross between a red raspberry and a blackberry. (Golden raspberries are red raspberries with a mutant recessive gene, btw.)
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 am

JodieO wrote:
Alexandra wrote:I don't mind grocery shopping, because in general, I get left alone then. No kid wants to tag along to the grocery store, and I get some much needed peace and quiet there.
33333333[/color]

I used to beg to go to the grocery store. So that I could then beg for a salad from the salad bar. I was a weird kid. I bet you're shocked!

I also wanted to peruse the Bop magazines whilst my mom was shopping.

My kids do not want to go to the grocery store. And when they do go with me, I end up with all kinds of strange things that I don't usually buy in the cart. For instance the last time my 9 yr old went she asked/begged for: a One Direction magazine that cost $9.99 :shock: :shock:, a giant bag of fish sticks, a giant bag of tater tots, assorted bags/cans of chips, ice cream sandwiches and a pile of fresh fruit. I bought the fruit, a can of Pringles, ice cream sandwiches (because I wanted some of those, too) and the tater tots - when she explained that she wanted to eat the tots while she watched Napolean Dynamite. (You can't argue with that logic. ;) )
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 am

Alexandra wrote:
My kids do not want to go to the grocery store. And when they do go with me, I end up with all kinds of strange things that I don't usually buy in the cart. For instance the last time my 9 yr old went she asked/begged for: a One Direction magazine that cost $9.99 :shock: :shock:, a giant bag of fish sticks, a giant bag of tater tots, assorted bags/cans of chips, ice cream sandwiches and a pile of fresh fruit. I bought the fruit, a can of Pringles, ice cream sandwiches (because I wanted some of those, too) and the tater tots - when she explained that she wanted to eat the tots while she watched Napolean Dynamite. (You can't argue with that logic. ;) )

If I was guaranteed to have kids as cool as yours, who knows...I might have had some!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:44 am

Alexandra wrote:
Gianna wrote:Are blackberries - the fruit- the same as black raspberries? I know blackberries - the phone - are not.

We used to pick black raspberries as a kid and my gram makes the best jelly with them. I loathe all jelly except for that.

Answer:Blackberries, (red) raspberries and black raspberries are distinct but closely related fruits, all in the genus Rubus. Fruits in this genus are actually an amalgamated fruit consisting of small drupelets that grow around a common core called a receptacle. Black raspberries have a dark color similar to blackberries, but like the red raspberry, the drupelets are more attatched to each other than the receptacle, so when harvested they leave behind the receptacle, which becomes a "rasp", causing the fruit to have a hollow appearance. In blackberries, on the other hand, the drupelets are more attached to the receptacle than each other, so when harvested the receptacle remains in the middle of the fruit. Blackberries are also typically a bit longer, while both types of raspberries are rounder. All three types can form hybrids, such as the boysenberry, which is a cross between a red raspberry and a blackberry. (Golden raspberries are red raspberries with a mutant recessive gene, btw.)

Interesting, I don't like a part of my food being referred to as a "receptacle".
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:50 am

Gianna wrote:
Alexandra wrote:

If I was guaranteed to have kids as cool as yours, who knows...I might have had some!

:lol: Thanks. They do have moments. But sometimes they also have moments when they are just huge PITAs, too. ;) :oops: :roll: (Clearly, I'm not in the running for mother of the year.)
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby JodieO » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:54 am

Alexandra wrote:
Gianna wrote:
Alexandra wrote:

:lol: Thanks. They do have moments. But sometimes they also have moments when they are just huge PITAs, too. ;) :oops: :roll: (Clearly, I'm not in the running for mother of the year.)

Personally I think that makes you a better mother than the ones who think the sun shines out of their childrens' every orifice no matter what they do or how they behave.

It also makes your kids better.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby LCneiny » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 am

Alexandra wrote:
JodieO wrote:
Alexandra wrote:I don't mind grocery shopping, because in general, I get left alone then. No kid wants to tag along to the grocery store, and I get some much needed peace and quiet there.
33333333[/color]

I used to beg to go to the grocery store. So that I could then beg for a salad from the salad bar. I was a weird kid. I bet you're shocked!

I love grocery shopping. I don't know why, I just love getting lost in the aisles and reading nutrition labels to pick out the best stuff (and sometimes the worst :))

Mr. LC hates it, but usually comes with me anyway because "he feels bad." WTF?? Dude, you complain and bitch while we are there so stay the fuck home!! Anyway, on the rare cases where he comes and is pleasant, he would behave and buy almost exactly the same things as your kids. Well, except for One Direction!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby LCneiny » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 am

Alexandra wrote:

My boss and I just had this convo the other day! His farmer's market had black raspberries but mine doesn't and now I want some. I love all berries. Even shnozberries.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 am

LCneiny wrote:
Alexandra wrote:
JodieO wrote:I used to beg to go to the grocery store. So that I could then beg for a salad from the salad bar. I was a weird kid. I bet you're shocked!

I love grocery shopping. I don't know why, I just love getting lost in the aisles and reading nutrition labels to pick out the best stuff (and sometimes the worst :))

Mr. LC hates it, but usually comes with me anyway because "he feels bad." WTF?? Dude, you complain and bitch while we are there so stay the fuck home!! Anyway, on the rare cases where he comes and is pleasant, he would behave and buy almost exactly the same things as your kids. Well, except for One Direction!

Mr. LC is just helping you get ready for having a child. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby dancing_echoes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm in trouble at work (again). And I sort of hate my life. But I just want to say that black raspberries are my favorite jam and it makes me sad that most DD stores don't carry black raspberry filled donuts anymore.

Carry on.
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Location: On Facebook, "investigating" the Britpack's whereabouts

Postby JodieO » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:06 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:I'm in trouble at work (again). And I sort of hate my life. But I just want to say that black raspberries are my favorite jam and it makes me sad that most DD stores don't carry black raspberry filled donuts anymore.

Carry on.

Ruh Roh.

Why are you in trouble?

DD only seems to make fad donuts now. I can't even get a chocolate sugared donut anymore because they are too busy making Oreo donuts or some other kind of stupidness. Asshats.

Whilst typing this out I was 'invited' into a conference call with 3 bosses that sort of started out like 'Hey Jodie, we're probably losing this major client and we thing it might be your fault...' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Thankfully turned out not to be my fault at all. PHEW.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Gianna » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:35 pm

JodieO wrote:
Ruh Roh.

Why are you in trouble?

DD only seems to make fad donuts now. I can't even get a chocolate sugared donut anymore because they are too busy making Oreo donuts or some other kind of stupidness. Asshats.

Whilst typing this out I was 'invited' into a conference call with 3 bosses that sort of started out like 'Hey Jodie, we're probably losing this major client and we thing it might be your fault...' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Thankfully turned out not to be my fault at all. PHEW.

Good grief...that's enough to give you a heart attack!

d_e - sorry work is sucking for you right now. Lets all run away and hang out on an island somewhere for a few months. ;)
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 pm

On the donut issue, I agree with you Jodie. Every once in a while I like a good ol' boring powdered sugar donut. I used to always get them at O'Hare if I happened to have a morning layover (before we had them here). But now you can't even find them! Annoying.
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm too lazy to Google: what is a tattertot?
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby Elsie_Tanner » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Gianna wrote:
JodieO wrote:
Ruh Roh.

Why are you in trouble?

Good grief...that's enough to give you a heart attack!

d_e - sorry work is sucking for you right now. Lets all run away and hang out on an island somewhere for a few months. ;)

Ahem... UK is an island. Just sayin'
Elsie_Tanner
Renee's Cooking Instructor

Postby Elsie_Tanner » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:54 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:I'm too lazy to Google: what is a tattertot?

Yes enquiring minds need to know
Elsie_Tanner

Postby JodieO » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Tater tot: A crispy, golden, delicious cylinder of processed potato goodness.

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Alexandra » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:18 pm

JodieO wrote:

Perfect description! And I might have served them to my kids with dinner last night. ;)
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby Elsie_Tanner » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 pm

JodieO wrote:

So I've done some research cough Google cough and we in UK has Ross oven crunchies when I was a kid which were what you call tater tots. Morrisons do potato crunchies which are the same so google tells me.
Elsie_Tanner

Postby amynkansas » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:59 pm

now I want tatortots and donuts.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:06 pm

I've been in a car for 6hrs. :shock: let's see if I can catch up:

*I love football season
*I like to sleep on well-worn( i.e. dirty) sheets
*I hate grocery shopping
*tater tots are a regular food source in our household
*I prefer normal donuts (and like to spell it: doughnuts)
*I loved grocery shopping as a child...b/c I was guaranteed doughnuts
*I don't like berries
*I am very pale (tho the 10,000 chocolate-colored moles I have all over my body give me small splashes of color)
*no one asked, but my favorite sandwich is peanut-butter and pickle
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm

I can't get a frame of reference for size on these tatertot things - are they like a hashbrown? Are they battered in smth? They look battered. Like panco flakes or smth.

Umm, peanut butter and pickles?! I may have just thrown up in my mouth
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:17 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:I can't get a frame of reference for size on these tatertot things - are they like a hashbrown? Are they battered in smth? They look battered. Like panco flakes or smth.

tater tots are about the size of your thumb. they're just basically little hashbrowns.

when I don't have pickles on hand, I eat peanut-butter and margarine instead.
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Gianna » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:40 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:I can't get a frame of reference for size on these tatertot things - are they like a hashbrown? Are they battered in smth? They look battered. Like panco flakes or smth.

No batter. Just fried. Probably about from the middle knuckle of your thumb to the end of your thumb. Not really big.
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Kay Kay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Drive by:

Ron looks good. Really good. But I didn't give them more than a cursory glance. Sorry Ron!

I LOVE blackberry jam, hate actual black, blue, and raspberries. They all too bitter for me.

Not a fan of tatertots or hashbrowns. Love french fries and baked potatoes.

Hate grocery shopping. I will be the frazzled mother with a screaming infant that's just putting 50 apples into her cart and leaving. All while giving the finger to disapproving shoppers.

Skanky Boobs, congrats on fitting into smaller pants! I know you've been working hard lately!

Thanks for all of the advice on the twitters. I am so overwhelmed by looking for child care options already. I might just strap a couple bottles to my cat and train her to lay next to my baby a few times a day. I trust her AND she's cheap.
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Daily Chats