Hey there muggles!!
"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other.
" - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Welcome to the first thread for the Harry Potter Summer Book Club. Here we'll introduce the ground rules and get to know each other better! Please dive in whether you're a long time forum poster or just joined, have read HP 17 times and counting or will be reading for the first time along with us, and everyone in between. The rules and regs
- Book Club will run from Memorial Day weekend (May 29-30th, 2010) to Labor Day weekend (September 4-5th, 2010). The thread for each week will be posted sometime during the weekend by either JodieO or Lindelle.
- We have 199 chapters to cover! This translates to 14 per week (except on the last week, when we'll read 17), so 2 chapters per day. However, we want to make the point that this is NOT school, this is just for FUN!
Want to read the whole book in one sitting? Go for it! Busy life and can't read that many chapters in a week? Go through however many you can or want to. Read the series a couple years ago and don't want to re-read, but still want to chat? Fine by us! In fact, we really only have ONE rule we'll enforce: NO SPOILERS!
- Spoilers suck. They can ruin people's enjoyment in reading things for themselves. However, we know that those of us who have read the books before will want to bring up things in future books - and that's why we have spoiler tags! Here's how to use them. When you are replying to the thread, use the box that says spoiler= and type inside that tag. For example, here's what happens when I write "dumpsters are for lovers" behind the spoiler tag. Click on it to reveal: [spoiler=]dumpsters are for lovers![/spoiler] We ask that when you post a spoiler behind the tag, you title the tag with a brief description that everyone can see about where it's from. You can do this by writing after the "spoiler=" tag. For example, if you want to mention something that happens in a later chapter of the book we're currently reading, please preface it with the tag [spoiler=Chapter 21], etc. If it's from a book we haven't started yet, please preface it with [spoiler=Book 5]. That way, people will know whether it is something they want to read or not. Make sense?? Warning -- if you reply to a post that has a spoiler box, while you are in the "post a reply" page the spoiler will be uncovered, so if you don't want to see the spoiler, don't reply to that post. We know this all seems complicated, but feel free to practice on this thread and you'll get the hang of it pretty soon!
- Don't have your own copy of the books? Here are some suggestions of where to find them. Keep in mind that book 1 is called Philosopher's Stone in the UK and Sorcerer's Stone in the US.
First off, check your local library. Most will have a copy. Or ask a friend - these books are so popular that it's very likely someone you know has a set they can lend you. There's also tons of used paperbacks on Amazon.com to purchase for really cheap, like less than a $1. If you prefer them in audiobook format so you can listen on your iPod or in the car, you can buy those here - it's expensive though: http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-1-Audio-Collection/dp/0739352245/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273675777&sr=8-18
Finally, if you want to read them on a Kindle, PM your email address to robsten4life and she can send you the files.
- We know this is a primarily Twilight forum, but we're going to attempt to keep our HP thread just for HP. Although I doubt anyone's going to complain if some Rob pics show up from time to time (hellooo Cedric Diggory!) But in general, if you want to chat about non-HP topics, check out the daily Rob's Flat thread.
- There's been some interest in group movie-watchings after we finish each book! All but the last book have been made into movies so far, and part 1 of the last book (it's been split into 2 movies) comes out in November. We could possibly watch these movies together during the "Friday night crunk" that happens every week, but we'll have to see how many of the regulars there are also in the book club, we don't want to take over the Friday chats if not everyone is interested in watching the movies. We could also set up a separate chat room. This is something we'd be happy to hear your suggestions on. This week's topic
- Introduce yourselves! We love new people and
old-timers around here. Feel free to let us all know a little bit about yourself and why you're joining in, and how much HP experience you have. Have you read the books? Seen the movies? Waited in a 2 hour line at Barnes and Nobles at midnight to get the 7th book? Or have just heard about it all these years and want to see what the fuss is about? Let us know! If you have a better idea for a group name for us than the HP Book Club, suggest it! (Cedric Lovers Anonymous?
) Want to post links to your favorite Potter sites or youtube vids (A Very Potter Musical anyone?) Go ahead. But remember, tell people if the videos/sites will contain spoilers!!!
The SPOILER TAG
is your friend! Or ask us any questions you need clarification on, like movie-watching parties or the spoiler policy. We'll leave this topic up from now until May 30th to give people plenty of time to find us and join in. And we welcome any feedback or suggestions you might have.
- We have one big question we'd like your opinion on. Would you all rather discuss the chapters as we're reading them, or discuss the previous week's chapters while we read the next week's set? If we discuss while reading (i.e. start reading and discussing the first 14 chapters on May 30th), people would need to have read all those chapters before posting to avoid being spoiled. If we read the chapters and then discuss (i.e. start reading May 30th, and then start discussing those chapters on June 6 while we begin reading the next set of chapters), people can read at their own pace, but then you have to limit yourself to only discussing the previous chapters even though you've read farther ahead. Which one is preferable? We'll go with the majority opinion. We know this all is a bit complicated to get off the ground, but once we get started, we'll get everything rolling smoothly. We're just excited to finally be starting!
"And now Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure!
" - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Love and firewhiskey from your friendly neighborhood book club mods/prefects,
Lindelle (@_lindelle) and JodieO (@JodieO)