Go to footer

Oddement, nitwit, blubber, and tweak! Harry Potter Book Club

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Oddement, nitwit, blubber, and tweak! Harry Potter Book Club

Postby JodieO » Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Lindelle wrote:Hey there muggles!!

"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other." - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Welcome to the first thread for the Harry Potter Summer Book Club. Here we'll introduce the ground rules and get to know each other better! Please dive in whether you're a long time forum poster or just joined, have read HP 17 times and counting or will be reading for the first time along with us, and everyone in between.

The rules and regs:

- Book Club will run from Memorial Day weekend (May 29-30th, 2010) to Labor Day weekend (September 4-5th, 2010). The thread for each week will be posted sometime during the weekend by either JodieO or Lindelle.

- We have 199 chapters to cover! This translates to 14 per week (except on the last week, when we'll read 17), so 2 chapters per day. However, we want to make the point that this is NOT school, this is just for FUN! Want to read the whole book in one sitting? Go for it! Busy life and can't read that many chapters in a week? Go through however many you can or want to. Read the series a couple years ago and don't want to re-read, but still want to chat? Fine by us! In fact, we really only have ONE rule we'll enforce: NO SPOILERS!

- Spoilers suck. They can ruin people's enjoyment in reading things for themselves. However, we know that those of us who have read the books before will want to bring up things in future books - and that's why we have spoiler tags! Here's how to use them. When you are replying to the thread, use the box that says spoiler= and type inside that tag. For example, here's what happens when I write "dumpsters are for lovers" behind the spoiler tag. Click on it to reveal: [spoiler=]dumpsters are for lovers![/spoiler] We ask that when you post a spoiler behind the tag, you title the tag with a brief description that everyone can see about where it's from. You can do this by writing after the "spoiler=" tag. For example, if you want to mention something that happens in a later chapter of the book we're currently reading, please preface it with the tag [spoiler=Chapter 21], etc. If it's from a book we haven't started yet, please preface it with [spoiler=Book 5]. That way, people will know whether it is something they want to read or not. Make sense?? Warning -- if you reply to a post that has a spoiler box, while you are in the "post a reply" page the spoiler will be uncovered, so if you don't want to see the spoiler, don't reply to that post. We know this all seems complicated, but feel free to practice on this thread and you'll get the hang of it pretty soon!

- Don't have your own copy of the books? Here are some suggestions of where to find them. Keep in mind that book 1 is called Philosopher's Stone in the UK and Sorcerer's Stone in the US. First off, check your local library. Most will have a copy. Or ask a friend - these books are so popular that it's very likely someone you know has a set they can lend you. There's also tons of used paperbacks on Amazon.com to purchase for really cheap, like less than a $1. If you prefer them in audiobook format so you can listen on your iPod or in the car, you can buy those here - it's expensive though: http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-1-Audio-Collection/dp/0739352245/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273675777&sr=8-18 Finally, if you want to read them on a Kindle, PM your email address to robsten4life and she can send you the files.

- We know this is a primarily Twilight forum, but we're going to attempt to keep our HP thread just for HP. Although I doubt anyone's going to complain if some Rob pics show up from time to time (hellooo Cedric Diggory!) But in general, if you want to chat about non-HP topics, check out the daily Rob's Flat thread.

- There's been some interest in group movie-watchings after we finish each book! All but the last book have been made into movies so far, and part 1 of the last book (it's been split into 2 movies) comes out in November. We could possibly watch these movies together during the "Friday night crunk" that happens every week, but we'll have to see how many of the regulars there are also in the book club, we don't want to take over the Friday chats if not everyone is interested in watching the movies. We could also set up a separate chat room. This is something we'd be happy to hear your suggestions on.

This week's topic:

- Introduce yourselves! We love new people and old-timers around here. Feel free to let us all know a little bit about yourself and why you're joining in, and how much HP experience you have. Have you read the books? Seen the movies? Waited in a 2 hour line at Barnes and Nobles at midnight to get the 7th book? Or have just heard about it all these years and want to see what the fuss is about? Let us know! If you have a better idea for a group name for us than the HP Book Club, suggest it! (Cedric Lovers Anonymous? ;)) Want to post links to your favorite Potter sites or youtube vids (A Very Potter Musical anyone?) Go ahead. But remember, tell people if the videos/sites will contain spoilers!!! The SPOILER TAG is your friend! Or ask us any questions you need clarification on, like movie-watching parties or the spoiler policy. We'll leave this topic up from now until May 30th to give people plenty of time to find us and join in. And we welcome any feedback or suggestions you might have.

- We have one big question we'd like your opinion on. Would you all rather discuss the chapters as we're reading them, or discuss the previous week's chapters while we read the next week's set? If we discuss while reading (i.e. start reading and discussing the first 14 chapters on May 30th), people would need to have read all those chapters before posting to avoid being spoiled. If we read the chapters and then discuss (i.e. start reading May 30th, and then start discussing those chapters on June 6 while we begin reading the next set of chapters), people can read at their own pace, but then you have to limit yourself to only discussing the previous chapters even though you've read farther ahead. Which one is preferable? We'll go with the majority opinion. We know this all is a bit complicated to get off the ground, but once we get started, we'll get everything rolling smoothly. We're just excited to finally be starting!

"And now Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure!" - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Love and firewhiskey from your friendly neighborhood book club mods/prefects,
Lindelle (@_lindelle) and JodieO (@JodieO)
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Re: Oddement, nitwit, blubber, and tweak! Harry Potter Book Club

Postby Lindelle » Tue May 18, 2010 10:22 pm

For anyone who (like me) wants to know what we'll be reading and when, here's a spreadsheet that keeps it all organized!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tZK9bEcCOtKXrXos-tr7tkw&output=html
"The world is a weird place." - Rob
Lindelle
Leghitcher

Postby themoonisdown » Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

I WANT TO REEEAAADDD!!

ill come join once i cram read the saga again before the big meyer interview/press thingy.

will see you guys in a few weeks!

xo
moon
Arizona, how you likin' da rain, girl?
ImageImageImageImage
themoonisdown
Head Bitches in Charge

Postby BrooklynBabe » Tue May 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Image for Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby BrooklynBabe » Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 pm

themoonisdown wrote:I WANT TO REEEAAADDD!!

ill come join once i cram read the saga again before the big meyer interview/press thingy.

will see you guys in a few weeks!

xo
moon

BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby mandaliz » Tue May 18, 2010 11:08 pm

I am so excited! I can't wait!
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Wed May 19, 2010 12:43 am

HI EVERYONE!

For those of you who don't know me I'm JodieO and I will be your co-mod for this summer's book club.

I wasn't always a fan of the HP series. I used to be annoyed with it. When I first moved to NYC in 2000 Goblet of Fire had just been released and everyone was reading it. And I mean EVERYONE. Every last place I went in the city looked like an advertisement for Harry Potter. Everyone on the subway was holding a copy, waiters had it open on the trays they were carrying around, and you couldn't get help in a shop to save your life. It ticked me off and I resisted. Then the first movie came out they kept calling it the new Wizard of Oz. Which is my favorite movie. So then I got REALLY cheezed off.

But then I had surgery and I was stuck at home for six weeks and by week four I was going nucking futz. I was meeting some friends at a bookstore and I thought I would get there early so I could buy a book to keep me company. They all had the same idea so I just grabbed a big box of books and figured 'what the heck'. The box was the first 5 books of the series. Book 6 wouldn't be out for a few more weeks.

So I got home and opened book one. I read the first page, snorted and thought "these aren't so great", and then I read until I lit'rally couldn't keep my eyes open. I finished all five books in two weeks. I got a 2-day extension on my medical leave so I could finish Order of the Pheonix.

Once I was fully obsessed with the books I got my mom, my sister, and my best friend to read them. They all said that they didn't want to be seen walking around like some loser with these kids' books. I insisted. They got hooked. The BFF hates reading. He was the type of person who would party every night after work. But once he picked up the books all he wanted to do was go home and read. I was so proud. ;) My mom was the one waiting in line at 4am to get our wristbands to pick up book 7 exactly at midnight.

Since I moved here to Maine Harry Potter has been my summer reading list. I like to go home from work in the evenings and sit in my adirondack chair and read until darkness and mosquitoes chase me inside. I lost count after 5, so best guess I can give is that I read the series in its entirety 9ish times. And I still laugh at the funny parts and cry at the sad parts and I still find new things I somehow missed before.

I'm so excited for us all to get to the reading!

If anyone has any questions about the books or the forum please feel free to ask!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby nikra » Wed May 19, 2010 6:16 am

Yay! Call me a nerd ... strike that ... I'm a nerd and I really like HP. Oh, I also like Book Clubs. Double nerd. :geek:
ImageImageImage I tried being normal. It sucked.
nikra
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby JodieO » Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Jason Isaacs (who plays Lucius Malfoy in the movies) had this to say about the HP books. It's kinda how I feel about them, too:
On the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling: "I went off and read the books after the audition and I read all four books in one sitting - you know - didn't wash, didn't eat, drove around with them on the steering wheel like a lunatic. I suddenly understood why my friends, who I'd thought where slightly backward, had been so addicted to these children's books. They're like crack."

Check it out, Nick was creeping back in the days of Goblet of Fire...
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby robsten4life » Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi! Like Lindelle said, I have ebook versions of all seven HP books. The files are .prc files so they also work with mobipocket which is software that's used on a lot of smartphones. Also you can download free ereaders for your computer (Kindle has both an PC version and an iphone app) so pm me if you want them that way!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I promise to love you forever - every single day of forever~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robsten4life
Jackson's Riding Instructor

Postby mandaliz » Wed May 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Will we crunk the movies after we read each book? That would be fun.
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby cedvanhalen » Wed May 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Holy balls I am excited about this. (And yes Lindelle and anyone else who knows it, that "holy balls" was def a Wizard People reference..) Ok, I'm supposed to do an introduction, right?

Hello. My name is Whitney (woah..real name drop for y'all) and I am a Harry Potter junkie. I actually started out as just a movie fan. When the books started to come out I was that middle school student who hated reading. Especially books that were as big as HP, so I just stuck with watching the movies and was just fine. But after the 5th movie came out, I got really interested in what happened next. And the final book was coming out not long after that movie, so I started seeing things everywhere about Deathly Hallows and what would happen. So on the day the last book came out, I bought and started reading the first one. I couldn't put it down. I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with Ron Weasley (seriously, fictional boyfriend number 1 there..). I can't tell you how many times I've read the series since then, but like Jodie said, I still find new things everytime. And I still laugh, I still cry, and I'm still in love with Ron Weasley. I won't go too far into it and reveal my full HP nerdiness to you, but just know it's there. :)

As for fun youtube videos, I used to get bored and just look up Harry Potter on youtube so I know a couple.....But as for my favorites, I'm gonna go with Potter Puppet Pals, Wizard People (only if you've seen the first movie prolly..), and A Very Potter Musical. Which, by the way, A Very Potter Sequel has been performed. Not up yet, but performed. I don't know how I know this..
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby SingleStrand » Wed May 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi chicas! I'm so excited for this. You have no idea.
My real name is Erin @ekels on Twitter, and I'm the funnest girl you'll ever meet. No really. I'm that fun. ;)
I'm an HP virgin. No books, no movies, nada. I actually didn't know Rob was Cedric Higmorry or whatever until after I'd crushed on him for months. So I can't wait to expand my YA lit horizons and bond more with the amazing girls of the LTT Forum.
Also, I'm 20 weeks pregnant and moved to the smallest town I've ever lived in right before Christmas. I have a LOT of time on my hands these days. I generally need a good escape from reality and I know this book club will help bring that.
PS Does Rob have a wand in this shizz? Cuz I can think of a few fun things we could do with that...
ImageImageImageImageImage
SingleStrand
Fake Lesbian

Postby robzanne » Wed May 19, 2010 4:37 pm

im so excited for this to start - i have my HP V Card!, well kind of, i've done some 'stuff' and ive fooled around a little, but have not gone all the way!

i read the first one during summer break one year at Uni and loved it, but didnt stick with it once i went back to Uni , distracted by boys and booze! i've seen the films, some more than others ;) ;) and cant wait to get reading
Bring It On!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
robzanne
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby allryans » Wed May 19, 2010 4:44 pm

I can't wait to start book club!

I'm Beth, and I started reading Harry Potter while I was working at a girls' private school. I was in college, and the first movie was coming out. I'm one of those people who rarely sees a movie without reading the book first. Unless the book is super obscure, I will read it before I see the movie. Then I critique the movie for not being as good as the book - every.time. So I read book one, and saw the movie and was really impressed with what a great adaptation the movie was. I did not get obsessed with the books however. In fact, I read them as the movies were coming out. I read Chamber of Secrets right before it came out, etc. I'm looking forward to reading them all at once and in a concentrated manner.

I think we should discuss after we've read. JMO.
allryans
Not a Bear

Postby Lindelle » Wed May 19, 2010 6:14 pm

I've loved reading all your responses so far. Allryans, have you read all 7 books then?

I started reading HP when I was in middle school, believe it or not! My brother came home with the 1st book and told me I needed to read it. I don't think there was much hype about it yet (only the 1st 3 books were out at the time) so I had never heard of it. I read it and thought "meh." It wasn't until about a year later, my siblings got the 2nd and 3rd books for Christmas and I read them as well, and then I was hooked! (The 1st book is really quite different than the others, much more of a children's book mentality I thought.) The 4th book came out before I could drive and I remember standing in my driveway waiting for my mom to come home with the book :lol: I went to midnight release parties for the 5th, 6th, and 7th books. So amazing! The 7th book party release was the best, there were 1500 people at my Barnes and Nobles, lots of people dressed up, playing games, etc. Never seen anything like it.

I generally re-read them during the summer like Jodie, but I didn't last year so it feels like forever since I picked them up. I just ordered the whole paperback UK set so I can't wait to start!
Lindelle
Leghitcher

Postby Lindelle » Wed May 19, 2010 6:16 pm

mandaliz wrote:Will we crunk the movies after we read each book? That would be fun.

We're hoping to!!
Lindelle
Leghitcher

Postby Lindelle » Wed May 19, 2010 6:27 pm

This is the quintessential HP theme music. John Williams always does it best!

Lindelle
Leghitcher

Postby robsten4life » Wed May 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Lindelle wrote:This is the quintessential HP theme music. John Williams always does it best!

That's because John Williams is a god LOL :)

I forgot to formally introduce myself earlier. I'm Melissa (@lissashoff on twitter) and I'm a born again HP virgin. I've read the first two books back when they first came out when I was in middle school but for some reason never picked up the other ones. I've seen movies 1-4... I have to admit, the bf and I saw the third movie back when we were first dating then we never saw the fourth one. After my Twilight obsession started and I found out that Rob was Cedric I hinted that we needed to catch up on HP. So a few months ago we finally watched the fourth one. I have the fifth one but still haven't watched yet [spoiler=Book/Movie 4](seeing Robric die was too painful LOL)[/spoiler]

I'm very much looking forward to finally reading all of the books (however I just realized that I started and epically long fanfic on my kindle and am gonna have a tough time finishing it in the next two weeks..... ) I'm usually not the best at book clubs because I typically like to read and not think and book clubs require you to process things and add your opinion so just because my responses might be short it doesn't mean I'm not interested :)

BTW I can't wait to re-watch the first two movies because I <3 WOOD :D :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I promise to love you forever - every single day of forever~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robsten4life

Postby allryans » Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Yes, Linds, I've read them all, just very slowly, which is unusual for me. Normally I devour a series if I love it. After I read Half Blood Prince (right before the movie came out, as per usual) I HAD to get Deathly Hallows. In fact, I got DH the day it came out, and I hadn't done that with any of the other books.

I'm trying to get my friend let me borrow his UK set. He has them in hardback, but I know he's never even cracked them open. He's one of *those* people. Nice books, never reads a damn thing. Anyway, I really want to read the UK editions, so I hope he lets me borrow them.

robsten4life wrote:
Lindelle wrote:This is the quintessential HP theme music. John Williams always does it best!

That's because John Williams is a god LOL :)

BTW I can't wait to re-watch the first two movies because I <3 WOOD :D :D

Speaking of John Williams, I went to Star Wars in Concert last night, and it was totally and completely amazing. Anthony Daniels (C3PO) was the narrator and he was hilarious. If you love SW, and haven't seen it, youtube it. It's so crazy good. John Williams is amazing. They should do this with Harry Potter eventually.

r4l ... I also REALLY love Wood.
allryans
Not a Bear

Postby Kay Kay » Wed May 19, 2010 8:27 pm

YAY! I'm so excited! I started reading these books my...junior year of college? It was right before the "Summer of Potter" where the 5th movie and the 7th book came out back to back. Thank God I waited that long- even going March to July without knowing what happened after the 6th book was torture. I don't know how anyone else did it. Either way, it's been a while since I've read them- I'll usually just re-read 6 and 7 and maybe half of the 4th. I think I've only read the first three books twice. I find them the hardest since A) They're the most Americanized- Harry wears TRAINERS not sneakers! and B) They are a younger read than the later ones. What can I say? I like them darker. :D

I'm going to warn the HP virgins now- pretty much after every chapter, I'm going to day "This chapter was soooo important for later!" haha. So, ya know, pay attention. :lol:

PS Viktor Krum is way studlier than Cedric in the fourth movie. :D
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby BrooklynBabe » Wed May 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Wow, once again you guys are making me feel like an old lady with a cane. :lol: In my real life I am known as Rhoda. I started reading the first Harry Potter book to my oldest son when it first came out. He was in third grade. Today he just finished his 2nd year of college. He hated reading and his teacher recommended the book to the class. He really liked it. We read a chapter a night together but little did he know that after we had read the first chapter together, I took the book into my room and finished it that night. When he was in 4th grade, he was HP for Halloween before they actually made HP costumes. Though he never became a big reader, both him and his brother loved the books.
We always ordered the books from Amazon and got some day delivery. We would order for his friends to save on the shipping costs and as soon as the books were delivered, we would each start one until the friends picked up their copies.
I always finished the book in a day and then would reread them. When the movies came out, we always saw them the same day.
I haven't picked up the books in a very long time so I'm looking forward to revisiting them again.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby dancing_echoes » Wed May 19, 2010 9:03 pm

JodieO wrote:Since I moved here to Maine Harry Potter has been my summer reading list. I like to go home from work in the evenings and sit in my adirondack chair and read until darkness and mosquitoes chase me inside. I lost count after 5, so best guess I can give is that I read the series in its entirety 9ish times. And I still laugh at the funny parts and cry at the sad parts and I still find new things I somehow missed before.

If anyone has any questions about the books or the forum please feel free to ask!

Wow. I think you may have just convinced me to give them another try. This worked far better than your Twitter bullying ;)
Last edited by dancing_echoes on Wed May 19, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Location: On Facebook, "investigating" the Britpack's whereabouts

Postby robsten4life » Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 pm

allryans wrote:
Speaking of John Williams, I went to Star Wars in Concert last night, and it was totally and completely amazing. Anthony Daniels (C3PO) was the narrator and he was hilarious. If you love SW, and haven't seen it, youtube it. It's so crazy good. John Williams is amazing. They should do this with Harry Potter eventually.

I haven't seen the Star Wars Concert yet, I think it passed through here ages ago :( but I have seen John Williams direct the Boston Pops on quite a few 4th of Julys and they often do a few SW numbers... just incredible
robsten4life

Postby JodieO » Wed May 19, 2010 10:09 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:
JodieO wrote:Since I moved here to Maine Harry Potter has been my summer reading list. I like to go home from work in the evenings and sit in my adirondack chair and read until darkness and mosquitoes chase me inside. I lost count after 5, so best guess I can give is that I read the series in its entirety 9ish times. And I still laugh at the funny parts and cry at the sad parts and I still find new things I somehow missed before.

Wow. I think you may have just convinced me to give them another try. This worked far better than your Twitter bullying ;)

It's hard to bully in 140 characters...
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Other