Go to footer

The Madness of Mr. Crouch - HP Book Club

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

The Madness of Mr. Crouch - HP Book Club

Postby JodieO » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:29 pm

So for those of you brave souls who are on schedule with the reading we are now done with the second task. What did we think of Harry making sure everyone got out of the lake ok? Foolish to take the song so seriously or heroic for sacrificing first place to make sure others were safe? WTF is going on with Ludo Bagman? What's that guy's deal? Did we all wish we could go to the Yule Ball with Cedric and would we each wearing a S.P.E.W. button? How do we feel about Ron's behavior towards Hermione these days? Feel free to discuss all these chapters as well as the chapters we will be reading this week.

This week's reading will take us through the end of Goblet of Fire and the beginning of Order of the Pheonix. It is my opinion that the selection this week marks the biggest turning point in the series and the most frightening scene of any book I have ever read. We discussed this a bit over the last week, but I'm sure we will have much more to say about it.

I know some people are busy and get behind in the reading, and some people just can't put the books down and get ahead, but I don't want that to prevent anyone from contributing. I'm a little behind in the reading myself, but I'll make observations as I read. If you are still on Chamber of Secrets and have something that you want to say, then by all means share it! That's why we are here. We only ask that if you are ahead and are going to post something from a chapter or book after where we are for the week that you put it in a spoiler box. We aren't that strict around here. =)

I would also like to remind everyone that on Friday July 30 at 7PM EST we will be gathering in the meebo chat room to watch Goblet of Fire together. PM any of us mods for the link and password if you would like to join us!

Here's a link to our schedule: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDfBcIdf4k&feature=related
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Re: The Madness of Mr. Crouch - HP Book Club

Postby JenKB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 pm

So I finished Goblet of Fire this morning and was able to watch it on ABC Family this afternoon (although I had to change the channel when they had Deathly Hallow sneak previews...I don't want to be spoiled!). Both were highly satisfactory. I'm enjoying the books more as Harry, Ron and Hermione get older.

I have found HP amusing, but GoF had my first true laugh out loud moment:

"Oh this is no use," Hermione said, snapping shut Weird Wizarding Dilemmas. "Who on earth wants to make their nose hair grow into ringlets?"

"I wouldn't mind," said Fred Weasley's voice. "Be a talking point, wouldn't it?"

That really tickled my funny bone. :D

I have two questions:

1) Jodie, was the "scariest scene" in GoF, and if so which one are you referring to?

2)
Okay, so if Barty Crouch, Jr. was posing as Mad-eye Moody via the Polyjuice Potion, was his "niceness" towards Neville Longbottom and how he treated Malfoy just a cover?. Was he just trying his best to pose as Moody? That confused me, after the fact.

Lastly, I must say that I enjoy, appreciate and am impressed that they are keeping all of the same cast members in each movie. I love that we're practically watching these kids grow up. I'm really loving these characters, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Order of the Phoenix.
ImageImageImageImageImage
JenKB
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Postby JodieO » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:12 am

JenKB wrote:So I finished Goblet of Fire this morning and was able to watch it on ABC Family this afternoon (although I had to change the channel when they had Deathly Hallow sneak previews...I don't want to be spoiled!). Both were highly satisfactory. I'm enjoying the books more as Harry, Ron and Hermione get older.

I have found HP amusing, but GoF had my first true laugh out loud moment:

"Oh this is no use," Hermione said, snapping shut Weird Wizarding Dilemmas. "Who on earth wants to make their nose hair grow into ringlets?"

"I wouldn't mind," said Fred Weasley's voice. "Be a talking point, wouldn't it?"

That really tickled my funny bone. :D

I have two questions:

1) Jodie, was the "scariest scene" in GoF, and if so which one are you referring to?

2)
Okay, so if Barty Crouch, Jr. was posing as Mad-eye Moody via the Polyjuice Potion, was his "niceness" towards Neville Longbottom and how he treated Malfoy just a cover?. Was he just trying his best to pose as Moody? That confused me, after the fact.

Lastly, I must say that I enjoy, appreciate and am impressed that they are keeping all of the same cast members in each movie. I love that we're practically watching these kids grow up. I'm really loving these characters, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Order of the Phoenix.

[spoiler=End of GoF]The scene when Voldemort comes back still scares the shit out of me. Both when I read it and when I see it in the movie. It's the rebirth of ultimate evil. It's the wizarding world's worst nightmare coming back to life. *shudder*[/spoiler]
[spoiler=End of GoF]The kindness towards Neville was definitely a cover. Barty Crouch Jr was one of those convicted of torturing Neville's parents, BUT he thought that if he gave Neville the herbology book that Neville would be able to help Harry figure out the gilly weed. He didn't count on Harry being too proud to ask around.
His treatment of Draco was NOT a cover as he considers Lucius to be a traitor. Lucius was one of those Death Eaters who denounced Voldemort after his destruction instead of working towards getting Voldy restored to power.

"If there's something I hate more than any other, it's a Death Eater who walked free. They turned their backs on my master when he needed them most. I expected him to punish them. I expected him to torture them. Tell me he hurt them, Harry. Tell me he told them that I, only I remained faithful..."
—Barty Crouch about Death Eaters[/spoiler]

They do replace a few of the cast members through the movies, but no one all that important. I also love how the books mature as the characters to. It makes it so much more fun.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:51 am

JodieO wrote:So for those of you brave souls who are on schedule with the reading we are now done with the second task. What did we think of Harry making sure everyone got out of the lake ok? Foolish to take the song so seriously or heroic for sacrificing first place to make sure others were safe?

This scene had me on the edge of my seat. I actually thought they might kill off Fleur's sister. Even though Dumbledore told them they were being careful and this tournament wouldn't be as dangerous as past tournaments, we all know things don't always go according to plan at Hogwarts.

I was glad Harry tried to free them all. What a scary scene to come upon, 4 people tied up underwater and you're the only one around? I think I would have the same reaction as Harry. At that point he wasn't thinking about winning, he actually believed he was saving their lives. I was disappointed with Ron and Hermione's reactions. You would think they'd be more understanding instead of making Harry feel foolish.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:56 am

What do you guys think about Book Snape vs. Movie Snape? Do you think they softened him up a bit for the movies?

For example, I was watching the HP marathon over the weekend and I saw PoA for the first time. I noticed at the end when Lupin turns into a werewolf, we see Snape standing in front of Ron, Hermione and Harry with his arms thrown around them in a protective stance. I know this scene was changed from the book because Snape was unconscious at that time, but I couldn't help but think Book Snape probably wouldn't do that.

Or maybe I'm soft towards Movie Snape because I have a fondness for Alan Rickman's portrayal of him?
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:02 am

toooldforthis wrote:What do you guys think about Book Snape vs. Movie Snape? Do you think they softened him up a bit for the movies?

For example, I was watching the HP marathon over the weekend and I saw PoA for the first time. I noticed at the end when Lupin turns into a werewolf, we see Snape standing in front of Ron, Hermione and Harry with his arms thrown around them in a protective stance. I know this scene was changed from the book because Snape was unconscious at that time, but I couldn't help but think Book Snape probably wouldn't do that.

Or maybe I'm soft towards Movie Snape because I have a fondness for Alan Rickman's portrayal of him?

I definitely think they softened him up for the movies. I flove that scene in PoA when he's gathering them all up behind his back like a mother hen. It makes me want to give him big sloppy smooches.

There is also a deleted scene in Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone during Harry's first Potions lesson after Snape has asked Harry all those questions Harry couldn't possibly know the answer to where he sits down next to Harry and tells him the answers to those questions. He is still all dark and Snapey about it, but it's also done in a sort of fatherly way. It's hard to explain, but it's sure not how I picture book Snape doing it.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:09 am

JodieO wrote:I definitely think they softened him up for the movies. I flove that scene in PoA when he's gathering them all up behind his back like a mother hen. It makes me want to give him big sloppy smooches.

Ha! I had the same reaction. I thought, "Awww, look at Snape." (I might have even hit rewind on the dvr to watch it again.) But then I thought, "Wait, I should not be having warm fuzzy feelings about Snape." :lol:
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby sassysmart » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 am

I have FINALLY finished GoF and am actually onto OOTP....one of my favorites. These last three I adore...except certain parts of DH...but I'll discuss that when we get to it.

Not sure if this should be in a spoiler box or not so that's where it's going:

[spoiler=GoF (moving into DH)]Two things that sort of bug me...in the book Molly and Bill come to support Harry. Which is where we see Fleur first notice Bill...which leads to the later marriage. I wish that had been put in the movie. Which leads me to say I wish we had more of Bill and Charlie in the movies from the beginning.

Second thing that bugs me is that in the movie we only get Sirius in the fire...I wanted to see him and Harry interact a lot more than that. Gary Oldham is amazing and I would love to see him be fatherly toward Harry. I think because we know the relationship from reading we get it but for those who don't read the books they don't understand why his death is REALLY hard for Harry in OOTP.[/spoiler]

Ok, I have an opinion about the House Elfs. Being Southern our history books are chok full of stories and accounts of slavery (the ugliest time of our past) and I think the wizarding community views house elves the same way a lot of plantation owners looked at slaves. And slaves reacted a lot like the house elves do.

If a plantation owner was a GOOD person they treated their slaves as part of the family which is why some of them after the war and after gaining freedom went back to the families and served them for little of nothing. It was all they knew and they knew they were treated really well...even taking the family name and always keeping family secrets.

If a plantation owner was BAD (like the Malfoys) then the slaves would have fear of punishment or anger but still felt loyal for that fear but longed for freedom or a better situation. Just like Dobby there were slaves that would go elsewhere after the war and seek employment but wouldn't take what they were actually worth, because they were just happy to be free and not whipped all the time.

Do i think what Hermione is doing is noble? Yes...without a doubt. But I also think that it would take peace in the wizarding community to make any change. And the elves would need to change themselves. Here in the south slavery only lasted a small drop in time in comparision to the time that House Elves have been slaves. Maybe HER grandchildern would be able to make some change.

Sorry if this is too history/controversial of a comparision but it is the only way I could think of why Herminone is having a hard time. The way both wizards and elves think is just similar. They don't think of the wrong of someone OWNING someone else they just think "Well, why would they want to leave?"
SassySmart
sassysmart
Not a Bear

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Uh oh...

Half-Blood Prince

I'm not sure I like Snape being the DADA teacher. I imagine Dumbledore finally gave him that position because he knows he's the best for that job and the students will need to learn as much as possible in order to fight Voldemort and the Death Eaters. But if Snape is actually on Dumbledore's side, will working with the Dark Arts pull him back to the dark side?
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:12 pm

toooldforthis wrote:Uh oh...

Half-Blood Prince

I'm not sure I like Snape being the DADA teacher. I imagine Dumbledore finally gave him that position because he knows he's the best for that job and the students will need to learn as much as possible in order to fight Voldemort and the Death Eaters. But if Snape is actually on Dumbledore's side, will working with the Dark Arts pull him back to the dark side?

Cue dramatic music: Dum dum duuuuuuuuuhm!!!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby J-9 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:20 pm

JodieO wrote: What did we think of Harry making sure everyone got out of the lake ok?
That's in Harry's nature. Forgo all rules and common sense, to help others.

Did we all wish we could go to the Yule Ball with Cedric and would we each wearing a S.P.E.W. button?
Yes. I don't think I'd be wearing a S.P.E.W. button, simply because I feel that the house elves are happy doing what they do.

How do we feel about Ron's behavior towards Hermione these days?
He likes her OBVIOUSLY and it's so flippin cute, I always find myself smiling like an idiot, when he indirectly shows it. :D
J-9
Bouffant Brusher

Postby J-9 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:23 pm

sassysmart wrote:I have FINALLY finished GoF and am actually onto OOTP....one of my favorites. These last three I adore...except certain parts of DH...but I'll discuss that when we get to it.

[spoiler=GoF (moving into DH)]Two things that sort of bug me...in the book Molly and Bill come to support Harry. Which is where we see Fleur first notice Bill...which leads to the later marriage. I wish that had been put in the movie. Which leads me to say I wish we had more of Bill and Charlie in the movies from the beginning.

Second thing that bugs me is that in the movie we only get Sirius in the fire...I wanted to see him and Harry interact a lot more than that. Gary Oldham is amazing and I would love to see him be fatherly toward Harry. I think because we know the relationship from reading we get it but for those who don't read the books they don't understand why his death is REALLY hard for Harry in OOTP.[/spoiler]

Ok, I have an opinion about the House Elfs. Being Southern our history books are chok full of stories and accounts of slavery (the ugliest time of our past) and I think the wizarding community views house elves the same way a lot of plantation owners looked at slaves. And slaves reacted a lot like the house elves do.

If a plantation owner was a GOOD person they treated their slaves as part of the family which is why some of them after the war and after gaining freedom went back to the families and served them for little of nothing. It was all they knew and they knew they were treated really well...even taking the family name and always keeping family secrets.

If a plantation owner was BAD (like the Malfoys) then the slaves would have fear of punishment or anger but still felt loyal for that fear but longed for freedom or a better situation. Just like Dobby there were slaves that would go elsewhere after the war and seek employment but wouldn't take what they were actually worth, because they were just happy to be free and not whipped all the time.

Do i think what Hermione is doing is noble? Yes...without a doubt. But I also think that it would take peace in the wizarding community to make any change. And the elves would need to change themselves. Here in the south slavery only lasted a small drop in time in comparision to the time that House Elves have been slaves. Maybe HER grandchildern would be able to make some change.

Sorry if this is too history/controversial of a comparision but it is the only way I could think of why Herminone is having a hard time. The way both wizards and elves think is just similar. They don't think of the wrong of someone OWNING someone else they just think "Well, why would they want to leave?"

That is an interesting comparison and makes it sort of relatable (sp) to RL.
J-9
Bouffant Brusher

Postby J-9 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:27 pm

JenKB wrote:

2)

I brought this up last week.
I'm almost convinced that he's the real Mad Eye despite knowing he's not! Jodes just explained something I had completely forgotten about, regarding Moody giving Neville the Herbology book.
J-9
Bouffant Brusher

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Warning to all newbies: Be careful! You may encounter spoilers when you least expect them. I was on Youtube today, searching through video clips of "Prisoner of Azkaban" because I missed part of it. I always scroll through the comments section, just out of habit. Ummm, I guess that's not a good idea because apparently people feel the need to give details about the HP series that have nothing to do with the video you're watching.

DH spoiler:

Son of a bitch!!!!!!!!! I was trying to catch up on the scenes I missed from PoA and someone commented on how much they liked Snape, although it was too bad Rowling decided to kill ----- and this is where I clicked off the screen. I'm guessing that means Snape dies in DH. I'M SO PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all because I like Snape and I don't want him to die, but most of all because I've been so careful for 5 1/2 books, trying not to be spoiled, only to have this happen. I guess the entire Internet is off limits until I finish the series!! Shit!!!!!! I'm so mad!!!!
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby mandaliz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 pm

toooldforthis wrote:Warning to all newbies: Be careful! You may encounter spoilers when you least expect them. I was on Youtube today, searching through video clips of "Prisoner of Azkaban" because I missed part of it. I always scroll through the comments section, just out of habit. Ummm, I guess that's not a good idea because apparently people feel the need to give details about the HP series that have nothing to do with the video you're watching.

DH spoiler:

Son of a bitch!!!!!!!!! I was trying to catch up on the scenes I missed from PoA and someone commented on how much they liked Snape, although it was too bad Rowling decided to kill ----- and this is where I clicked off the screen. I'm guessing that means Snape dies in DH. I'M SO PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all because I like Snape and I don't want him to die, but most of all because I've been so careful for 5 1/2 books, trying not to be spoiled, only to have this happen. I guess the entire Internet is off limits until I finish the series!! Shit!!!!!! I'm so mad!!!!

Even if you think you know what happens I do not think the plot line will be ruined. JK's stories are so complex & layered that if you think one thing there are so many elements that play into things that you are left wondering what things could mean. All I can say is never take things at face value because everything leads to something else.
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 am

mandaliz wrote:
toooldforthis wrote:Warning to all newbies: Be careful! You may encounter spoilers when you least expect them. I was on Youtube today, searching through video clips of "Prisoner of Azkaban" because I missed part of it. I always scroll through the comments section, just out of habit. Ummm, I guess that's not a good idea because apparently people feel the need to give details about the HP series that have nothing to do with the video you're watching.

DH spoiler:

Even if you think you know what happens I do not think the plot line will be ruined. JK's stories are so complex & layered that if you think one thing there are so many elements that play into things that you are left wondering what things could mean. All I can say is never take things at face value because everything leads to something else.

What she said.

BUT, yes, you do need to be VERY careful where you click. Spoilers are everywhere. :evil:
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby anna » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:16 am

toooldforthis wrote:
JodieO wrote:So for those of you brave souls who are on schedule with the reading we are now done with the second task. What did we think of Harry making sure everyone got out of the lake ok? Foolish to take the song so seriously or heroic for sacrificing first place to make sure others were safe?

This scene had me on the edge of my seat. I actually thought they might kill off Fleur's sister. Even though Dumbledore told them they were being careful and this tournament wouldn't be as dangerous as past tournaments, we all know things don't always go according to plan at Hogwarts.

I was glad Harry tried to free them all. What a scary scene to come upon, 4 people tied up underwater and you're the only one around? I think I would have the same reaction as Harry. At that point he wasn't thinking about winning, he actually believed he was saving their lives. I was disappointed with Ron and Hermione's reactions. You would think they'd be more understanding instead of making Harry feel foolish.

I thought it showed really what a decent guy Harry actually is. Very unselfish! I think he is a true hero.
anna
107 Year Old Virgin

Postby anna » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:23 am

sassysmart wrote:I have FINALLY finished GoF and am actually onto OOTP....one of my favorites. These last three I adore...except certain parts of DH...but I'll discuss that when we get to it.

That makes a lot of sense and I have noticed throughout the books so far that there are themes that relate to issues in the real world which I am guessing was done on purpose. It makes the book not just enjoyable but educational as well.
anna
107 Year Old Virgin

Postby toooldforthis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:09 am

Half Blood Prince

So, I'm going to guess that the Half Blood Prince will turn out to be Tom Riddle. And why would Dumbledore want to bring Tom Riddle to Hogwarts? He was clearly a disturbed child. Was he hoping to sort him out?
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:12 am

JodieO wrote:
mandaliz wrote:

DH spoiler:

What she said.

BUT, yes, you do need to be VERY careful where you click. Spoilers are everywhere. :evil:

I'm trying to look on the bright side.
At least I don't know if he dies a hero or a villian. But it would be awesome if he died saving Harry ;)
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am

This may be my favorite exchange yet.

HBP

This is from D.A.D.A. class when they are practicing nonverbal spells. Snape attacks Harry who defends himself with a Shield Charm.

"Do you remember me telling you we are practicing nonverbal spells, Potter?"
"Yes," said Harry stiffly.
"Yes, sir."
"There's no need to call me 'sir', Professor."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:33 am

toooldforthis wrote:This may be my favorite exchange yet.

HBP

This is from D.A.D.A. class when they are practicing nonverbal spells. Snape attacks Harry who defends himself with a Shield Charm.

"Yes, sir."

I love when Harry gets mouthy. Of course, like any teenage boy he always gets mouthy at the exact moment when he should shut the eff up... :lol:
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 am

JodieO wrote:

HBP

"Yes, sir."

I love when Harry gets mouthy. Of course, like any teenage boy he always gets mouthy at the exact moment when he should shut the eff up... :lol:

What makes it even better is Hermione gasping in horror while Ron, Dean and Seamus "grin appreciatively". Boys!!!
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby cedvanhalen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:41 pm

HBP

"Yes, sir."

I KNEW this was what you were talking about before I even clicked the spoiler box. It's one of my favorites as well. Ohhh Harry..
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby Kaet » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:40 pm

J-9 wrote:
JenKB wrote:

2)

I brought this up last week.
I'm almost convinced that he's the real Mad Eye despite knowing he's not! Jodes just explained something I had completely forgotten about, regarding Moody giving Neville the Herbology book.

[spoiler=ending of GoF]This really bothers me every time I read this book. I mean I can see that he needs to keep his cover and appear to be the real Moody to people like Dumbledore who we assume to know him well, but he seems to go above and beyond what is necessary. I can see why he turns Malfoy into a ferret (he hates Lucius because he manged to keep himself safe and out of Azkaban by pretending he was not a Death eater) and he kind of explains the Neville situation by giving him the book about plants to help Harry with the second task. But why does he spend so much time teaching Harry to overcome the Imperius curse? There is just no reason for that whatsoever, in no way can it be said to help Voldemort. Maybe a minor point but it does niggle me every time.[/spoiler]
Kaet
Swiftner Lover

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Other