Go to footer

We're Making Italiano

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

We're Making Italiano

Postby JodieO » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Ok, so we are always looking to share good recipes, book recs, and helpful hints, right? Remember that delicious sounding something someone mentioned back that day that thing happened, but can't find it in the archives? Well look no more! Here is the place to start adding recipes, book recs, craft resources, and general helpful hints. Enjoy!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Re: We're Making Italiano

Postby JodieO » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Jodie's Sister's Chex Mix recipe:

This makes a large roasting pan, filled and I never measure, but here's the "recipe" :

Pour dry mixture into LG roasting pan:
4 cups rice chex
4 cups corn chex
2 cups wheat (optional)These seem to soak up the "wet" mixture too much for me
2 cups cherrios
3 cups dry roasted peanuts or pretzels (or whatever)

Melt 4 tbs butter in a coffee cup and add in 1/4 tsp. garlic salt and 1/4 tsp. onion salt, 2 tsp. lemon juice and 4tsp. worchestershire sauce. I usually add more of all these, makes it zappier, LOL

Slowly pour over dry mixture and stir then pour and stir etc... until it looks pretty evenly coated. Bake at 250 for 45 mins. but stir every 15 mins.

Remember, I don't really measure and I add my own substitutes!

For those of you who don't get chex cereal in your country, there must be some kind of cereal equivalent...

http://www.chex.com/products/products.aspx
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Elsie_Tanner » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:44 pm

JodieO wrote:Jodie's Sister's Chex Mix recipe:

This makes a large roasting pan, filled and I never measure, but here's the "recipe" :

4 cups rice chex
4 cups corn chex
2 cups cherrios

Melt 4 tbs butter in a coffee cup and add in 1/4 tsp. garlic salt and 1/4 tsp. onion salt, 2 tsp. lemon juice and 4tsp. worchestershire sauce. I usually add more of all these, makes it zappier, LOL

Slowly pour over dry mixture and stir then pour and stir etc... until it looks pretty evenly coated. Bake at 250 for 45 mins. but stir every 15 mins.

For those of you who don't get chex cereal in your country, there must be some kind of cereal equivalent...

We have Shreddies http://www.cerealpartners.co.uk/brands/ ... ginal.aspx but they only come in the wheat and Choc variety. Not sure how that would turn out! Think we also have Cinnamon Grahams http://www.cerealpartners.co.uk/brands/ ... ahams.aspx again think these would be too sweet for your Chex mix! Will keep looking for something to make it with!

BB always seems to have a fab table full of food so any of her recipes would be welcomed!
Elsie_Tanner
Renee's Cooking Instructor

Postby JodieO » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Elsie_Tanner wrote:We have Shreddies http://www.cerealpartners.co.uk/brands/ ... ginal.aspx but they only come in the wheat and Choc variety. Not sure how that would turn out! Think we also have Cinnamon Grahams http://www.cerealpartners.co.uk/brands/ ... ahams.aspx again think these would be too sweet for your Chex mix! Will keep looking for something to make it with!

BB always seems to have a fab table full of food so any of her recipes would be welcomed!

My sister does like to mix a little bit of either the honey or the cinnamon Chex in with her party mix because she likes the sweet and salty, but I think it's gross. It's all on your preference. You could always make it with just the wheat shreddies. The corn and rice just adds variety.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:41 pm

JodieO wrote:Jodie's Sister's Chex Mix recipe:

4 cups rice chex
4 cups corn chex
2 cups cherrios

Thank you for this recipe, Jodie. I made it this afternoon. My family loved, loved, loved it!!!!!!
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:50 pm

I know pumpkin is popular around here so I have a recipe to share. Even though I'm not a fan of pumpkin, I love this cake. I get asked to make this for holiday parties every year.

Pumpkin Cake

Ingredients:

2 (15 oz) cans of solid pumpkin with spice
1 (12 oz) can of evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 package of yellow cake mix
1 cup of melted butter
12 oz package of pecan pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Line 13 x 9 pan with wax paper, spray with nonstick spray. (This step is important. Make sure the wax paper is even. You will need to flip the cake after it's baked.)

Mix pumpkin, milk and suagr. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Pour into pan
Sprinkle with cake mix
Drizzle with melted butter
Sprinkle with pecans

Bake for 1 hour or until pecans are golden brown

Cool completely in pan and then invert on platter.

Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)

1/4 cup of butter
1 package (8 oz) of cream cheese - room temp.
1 pound confectioners sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Combing all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth

The cake is very rich, so you may want to use whipped cream instead of frosting. I prefer the frosting because I have a big sweet tooth. I usually do half the cake in frosting and the other half in whipped cream so people have a choice.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby BrooklynBabe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 am

Elsie_Tanner wrote:

I'll post some recipes soon. :)

But could someone do me a favor and post a hot toddy recipe. Thanxs.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby Samalia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:00 pm

This is my granola recipe I shared with the Losers. It's super yummy! I eat it as cereal and the kids I nanny for eat it as a snack and over yogurt.

Super Low-Fat Granola Cereal
In a large bowl combine: 8c Old Fashioned Oats, 1c raisins, 1/2c chopped dried apricots & 1/2c dried cranberries; set aside
In a small saucepan, brown 1-1/2c packed brown sugar, 1/2c water, & 1tsp salt. Cook & stir over med. heat for 3-4 mins or until sugar is dissolved.
Remove from heat & stir in 1tsp maple extract, 1tsp vanilla extract.
Pour over oat mixture & stir to coat.
Transfer to two greased baking pans & bake @ 350-degrees for 25-30mins or until crisp, stirring every 10 mins. Cool on wire racks. (I don't have small enough wire racks so I cool it on Silpats or flattened paper bags)
This version makes 9ish cups but I double it and store it in my trusty Tupperwear cereal keeper.
Samalia
Renee's Cooking Instructor

Postby mandaliz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:48 am

BrooklynBabe wrote:
Elsie_Tanner wrote:

I'll post some recipes soon. :)

But could someone do me a favor and post a hot toddy recipe. Thanxs.

I make a hot toddy like this, but I've seen several variations:

Ingredients:
- shot of whiskey
- spoon full of honey
- a bit of lemon juice
- hot water

Preparation:
1. Coat the bottom of a mug or an Irish coffee glass with honey.
2. Add the liquor and the juice of the lemon quarter.
3. On the side, heat water in a tea kettle & then pour the hot water into the mug and stir.

It'll cure what ail's ya! My motto is "Starve a fever, drown a cold with hot toddies!"
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby mandaliz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 am

Alex requested my recipe for Hot Peppermint Cocoa mix so here it is:

Ingredients:
- 3 c. nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 c sugar or sugar substitue equivalent to 3/4 c of sugar
- 1/2 c crushed peppermint candies

To prepare mix:
In a bowl, stir together the ingredients. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 months.

To serve:
Shake contents of the container. For each serving, place 3 tablespoons of the mix in a 10 oz mug & add 1 cup of boiling water; stir until the mix is well incorporated (crushed candies will dissolve in about 2 minutes as the mixture stands).

I got this from Better Homes & Gardens' special release mag called "Food Gifts." This recipe makes approximately 20 servings. I divided this recipe into 2 cute jars from the Dollar Tree to give as one of our gifts to my parents & my MIL for Christmas.
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Alexandra » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:20 am

mandaliz wrote:Alex requested my recipe for Hot Peppermint Cocoa mix so here it is:

Ingredients:
- 3 c. nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 c sugar or sugar substitue equivalent to 3/4 c of sugar
- 1/2 c crushed peppermint candies

To prepare mix:
In a bowl, stir together the ingredients. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 months.

To serve:
Shake contents of the container. For each serving, place 3 tablespoons of the mix in a 10 oz mug & add 1 cup of boiling water; stir until the mix is well incorporated (crushed candies will dissolve in about 2 minutes as the mixture stands).

I got this from Better Homes & Gardens' special release mag called "Food Gifts." This recipe makes approximately 20 servings. I divided this recipe into 2 cute jars from the Dollar Tree to give as one of our gifts to my parents & my MIL for Christmas.

Thanks, Manda! My kids will love making this as a gift for Grandma! And it sounds yummy!
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:30 pm

BB requested that I post my caramel recipe here, so...enjoy!

Gia's Soft Caramels

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup condensed milk
2 cups light Karo syrup
1/2 cup water
2 cups white sugar
1 stick of butter, softened and cut into cubes

Prepare a 9x9 inch pan by lining it with foil and other spraying it with non-stick spray or buttering the foil. (I did try this in a 9X13 pan and that worked OK too...just not as thick)

In a smnall saucepan, combine the cream and condensed milk. Place on a burner set on the lowest setting. You want the mixture to be warm, but not boil.

In a medium-large suacepan combine the Karo syrup, water, and sugar over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then use a wet pastry brush to wash down the sides of the pan to prevent sugar crystaks from forming as this will make the caramel grainy. Not good!

Insert a candy thermometer and reduce the heat to medium. Allo the mixture to come to a boil and cook until the temp reaches 250 degrees. Add the softened butter pieces and the warm cream mixture. The temperature will go down about 30 degrees or so.

Continue to cook the caramel, stirring constantly so that the bottom does not burn. Cook until the temp reaches 244 degreees, and the caramel is a gorgeous dark golden brown color.

Remove from the heat and immediately pour into the prepared pan. Do not scrape the mixure from the botton of the pan. Allow the candy to sit overnight to set and develop a smooth, silky texture.

When you are ready to cut it, lift the candy from the pan using the foil as handles. Flip the caramel over onto a piece of waxed paper and remove the foil layer.

Spray a large knife with non-stick spray and cut them into 1 inch squares. Wrap the pieces in waxed paper. The pieces will gradually spread and lose their shape if you don't wrap them soon after cutting. Store at room temp for up to 2 weeks.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby BrooklynBabe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:51 pm

Gianna wrote:BB requested that I post my caramel recipe here, so...enjoy!

Gia's Soft Caramels

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup condensed milk
2 cups light Karo syrup
1/2 cup water
2 cups white sugar

Prepare a 9x9 inch pan by lining it with foil and other spraying it with non-stick spray or buttering the foil. (I did try this in a 9X13 pan and that worked OK too...just not as thick)

In a smnall saucepan, combine the cream and condensed milk. Place on a burner set on the lowest setting. You want the mixture to be warm, but not boil.

In a medium-large suacepan combine the Karo syrup, water, and sugar over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then use a wet pastry brush to wash down the sides of the pan to prevent sugar crystaks from forming as this will make the caramel grainy. Not good!

Insert a candy thermometer and reduce the heat to medium. Allo the mixture to come to a boil and cook until the temp reaches 250 degrees. Add the softened butter pieces and the warm cream mixture. The temperature will go down about 30 degrees or so.

Continue to cook the caramel, stirring constantly so that the bottom does not burn. Cook until the temp reaches 244 degreees, and the caramel is a gorgeous dark golden brown color.

Remove from the heat and immediately pour into the prepared pan. Do not scrape the mixure from the botton of the pan. Allow the candy to sit overnight to set and develop a smooth, silky texture.

When you are ready to cut it, lift the candy from the pan using the foil as handles. Flip the caramel over onto a piece of waxed paper and remove the foil layer.

Spray a large knife with non-stick spray and cut them into 1 inch squares. Wrap the pieces in waxed paper. The pieces will gradually spread and lose their shape if you don't wrap them soon after cutting. Store at room temp for up to 2 weeks.

Sounds yummy but alot of work. And a candy thermometer to boot. Maybe I'll give it a shot next year.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby BrooklynBabe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Very tasty and easy to make.

Italian Style Roast

2 lbs beef round roast or veal roast
2/3 bottle (16 0z) Italian Salad Dressing
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 can Italian Roman Tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup italian parsley chopped
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 bay leaf
fresh rosemary or fresh oregano (about tbsp)
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. cornstarch 1/4 cup water

DIRECTIONS:

Marinate meat in the dressing at room temp for two hours or  in the refrig 4 hrs or overnight.
Pour off marinade. Reserve.
In a skillet, slightly brown meat on both sides.  Place meat in a casserole dish.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with foil. Roast 375 for 1 hour. Uncover.
Add tomatoes with liquid, parsley, red wine, bay leaf, and rosemary.
Cook for another 40 minutes adding some marinade until the meat is tender.
Strain pan juices into saucepan.  Add soy sauce, cornstarch and water.
Bring to a boil.  Cook 2-3 minutes to thicken stirring constantly.  Serve with meat.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby Alexandra » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:05 pm

BrooklynBabe wrote:

Gia's Soft Caramels

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup condensed milk
2 cups light Karo syrup
1/2 cup water
2 cups white sugar

Sounds yummy but alot of work. And a candy thermometer to boot. Maybe I'll give it a shot next year.

This is exactly what I thought. We must be sharing a brain!
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Alexandra wrote:
BrooklynBabe wrote:

Gia's Soft Caramels

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup condensed milk
2 cups light Karo syrup
1/2 cup water
2 cups white sugar

I should have just sent you both some!
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:56 pm

This recipe is so incredibly easy it hardly qualifies as a recipe. If you are interested in the actual ravioli recipe, let me know.

Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter

18-20 ounces fresh, store-bought ravioli
6 T unsalted butter
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup fresh grated parm

Cook ravioli according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a pan over medium heat, stirring occassionally. Once the foaming subsides and the butter begins to turn golden brown, remove from the heat and let stand one minute. Stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer the ravioli to the pan and toss in the balsamic brown butter. Pour into a serving dish and top with walnuts and parm.
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby BrooklynBabe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:33 am

Gianna wrote:
Alexandra wrote:
BrooklynBabe wrote:
Gia's Soft Caramels

I should have just sent you both some!

Cough cough, it's still not too late. :lol:
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby BrooklynBabe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 am

Gianna wrote:This recipe is so incredibly easy it hardly qualifies as a recipe. If you are interested in the actual ravioli recipe, let me know.

6 T unsalted butter
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt

Cook ravioli according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a pan over medium heat, stirring occassionally. Once the foaming subsides and the butter begins to turn golden brown, remove from the heat and let stand one minute. Stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer the ravioli to the pan and toss in the balsamic brown butter. Pour into a serving dish and top with walnuts and parm.

I'm letting you know!!!! I'm very demanding. :lol:
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby Gianna » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:06 pm

BrooklynBabe wrote:
Gianna wrote:This recipe is so incredibly easy it hardly qualifies as a recipe. If you are interested in the actual ravioli recipe, let me know.

6 T unsalted butter
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt

I'm letting you know!!!! I'm very demanding. :lol:

I emailed ya!
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby BrooklynBabe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Gianna's Ravioli with Ricotta Filling

4 eggs (plus 2 eggs beaten for egg wash)
3 cups flour
1/2 cup water
Ricotta filling (see below)

In an electric mixer with the dough hook attachment, beat eggs slightly and add all flour and water. Mix until it forms a ball. Sprinkle some flour on the counter and knead until elastic and smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes to rest. ***If you don't have a stand mixer, I would make a mound of the flour directly on the counter and then create a well in the middle for eggs and water. Beat the eggs with a fork pulling in flour as you go. Its messy, but it does work.

After 30 minutes, cut the dough half and re-cover the second half. Flatten the dough slightly and put through the pasta roller 2 or 3 times at the widest setting. Reduce the setting and run the dough through 2 or 3 times. Continue until thin, but not paper thin. Dust the counter with flour and lay out the pasta sheet. Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash. Drop filling onto the sheet 1 tablespoon at a time about 2 inches apart. Fold the unfilled side over the filled side, and press down around the filling gently with your fingertips. Cut with an espresso cup or pasta crimper, making sure the edges are sealed. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

If you are making in advance, dust a baking sheet with cornmeal (lightly) and cover with a towel.

Cook in plenty of boiling water until they float to the top.

Ricotta Filling

1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby BrooklynBabe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Gianna's Marinara Sauce

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 small onions, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 stalks celery, finely chopped

2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes

2 dried bay leaves

In a dutch oven or large pan, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Re-warm over medium heat before using.)

***You can also freeze this up to 3 months. I will usually freeze in smaller portions for easy weeknight dinner. I also sometimes add crushed red pepper flakes to the onion, garlic, etc. The carrot balances out the acidity of the tomatoes. If you don't want to do the carrot and celery in the sauce, add one whole peeled carrot to the sauce while cooking and then take it out when finished.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby BrooklynBabe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:53 pm

Gia hadn't made either one of these recipes until today. She didn't particularly care for the asparagus one, but try it and see what you think.

Asian Lettuce Wraps (I used ground turkey in place of the pork and veal)

1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground veal
2 tsp soy sauce (I used the low sodium version)
2 T oyster sauce
2 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
8 lettuce leaves (I used Boston lettuce)
1 T toasted sesame seeds
***I also added some julienned red bell pepper for color and chopped water chestnuts for some additional texture)

Coat a non-stick pan with cooking spray and add onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and meat. Cook until done. Add oyster and soy sauces and the bean sprouts and water chestnuts at the very end.

Divide mixture up in the 8 leaves.

Ginger Sesame Asparagus

1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1 lb asparagus

Heat broiler. Combine first three ingredients and coat asparagus. Broil for 5-8 minutes.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby mandaliz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 pm

BB asked me to add this here, so here is a recipe for Cinnamon Chocolate Churro Cupcakes

http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2011/01/cinnamon-chocolate-churro-cupcakes.html

I haven't made these but they look like they'd be delish!
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby BrooklynBabe » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm

mandaliz wrote:BB asked me to add this here, so here is a recipe for Cinnamon Chocolate Churro Cupcakes

http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2011/01/cinnamon-chocolate-churro-cupcakes.html

I haven't made these but they look like they'd be delish!

I clicked on the link and went to sugar heaven. Not only do the cupcakes looks fab but the other recipes look just as good if not better. I'm going to be trying them out.

Manda thanks for posting this. And could you please post the recipe or link for the Reeses Peanut Butter Cupcakes. Thanks.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat