Go to footer

We're Making Italiano

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: We're Making Italiano

Postby BrooklynBabe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Since Manda is awesome and is actually creating the Reeses Peanut Butter Cupcake Recipe, it's not ready yet. So I'm going to make Blizzard Boys second favorite thing- Cookies and Cream --- Cupcakes. I found this recipe which I will try and let you all know how it turns out.

http://annies-eats.net/2010/06/02/cooki ... -cupcakes/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby cedvanhalen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:56 am

BrooklynBabe wrote:Since Manda is awesome and is actually creating the Reeses Peanut Butter Cupcake Recipe, it's not ready yet. So I'm going to make Blizzard Boys second favorite thing- Cookies and Cream --- Cupcakes. I found this recipe which I will try and let you all know how it turns out.

http://annies-eats.net/2010/06/02/cooki ... -cupcakes/

Everytime I peak into this thread I get hungry. Like right now, I really want cupcakes. Preferably these cupcakes.
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby mandaliz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:17 am

Ok, I took several other recipes, changed things and adapted it, and made a whole lot of yummy!

So here it is, my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes:

The cupcakes:

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup boiling hot water
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners. In small bowl stir together the boiling hot water & cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside & let cool to room temp. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, & salt. In another bowl, with either an electric mixer or with hand mixer, beat the butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add flour mixture & beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture & stir until smooth. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with batter and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until risen, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Peanut Butter Creme Filling:

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/8 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoons chocolate syrup

Using either an electric or hand mixer, combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and chocolate sauce and beat well.
Once the cupcakes have cooled, with a small knife cut out cone-shaped wells from the tops of the cupcakes. Take the cones that was removed and cut off the bottom portion of the cone so only the top remains. Set aside but do not discard these remaining tops. Spoon a small amount of the peanut butter mixture into the cupcakes and top with the tops that were set aside.

Chocolate Fudge Icing:

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. In a bowl using an electric mixer or a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate & beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2 -3 minutes).

Once the cupcakes are frosted, you won't be able to see the cut out portions. I frosted the cupcakes then topped them with reese's pieces. They were ahhhhhhhhhhh-mazing. Best cupcakes I've ever made, if I do say so myself.
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby mandaliz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 am

Ok, I took several other recipes, changed things and adapted it, and made a whole lot of yummy!

So here it is, my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes:

The cupcakes:

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup boiling hot water
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners. In small bowl stir together the boiling hot water & cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside & let cool to room temp. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, & salt. In another bowl, with either an electric mixer or with hand mixer, beat the butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add flour mixture & beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture & stir until smooth. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with batter and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until risen, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Peanut Butter Creme Filling:

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/8 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoons chocolate syrup

Using either an electric or hand mixer, combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and chocolate sauce and beat well.
Once the cupcakes have cooled, with a small knife cut out cone-shaped wells from the tops of the cupcakes. Take the cones that was removed and cut off the bottom portion of the cone so only the top remains. Set aside but do not discard these remaining tops. Spoon a small amount of the peanut butter mixture into the cupcakes and top with the tops that were set aside.

Chocolate Fudge Icing:

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. In a bowl using an electric mixer or a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate & beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2 -3 minutes).

Once the cupcakes are frosted, you won't be able to see the cut out portions. I frosted the cupcakes then topped them with reese's pieces. They were ahhhhhhhhhhh-mazing. Best cupcakes I've ever made, if I do say so myself.
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby BrooklynBabe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 am

BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby BrooklynBabe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31 pm

This is the fish taco recipe and a drink recipe to go with it. Sassy sent it to me a while back. Where did you go Sass?

Here is the taco recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... index.html

Here is the drink recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... index.html

I couldn't find creme fraiche ready-made, so I made it myself. Here's the recipe.

Creme fraiche is a thick cream used in sauces and soups and as a condiment for fresh fruits. Learn how to make homemade creme fraiche. Plan ahead as this will take some time.
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 8-14 hours
Here's How:

1. 1 cup whipping cream or heavy creme mixed with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
2. Combine well in glass jar and cover.
3. Let stand at room temperature (about 70 degrees F.) for 8 to 24 hours, or until thickened.
4. Stir well and refrigerate.
5. Use within 10 days.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby Gianna » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:25 pm

HEALTHY RECIPE ALERT...some of you may know that Mr G and I have embarked on a healthier eating and living campaign in 2011. I have a couple of yummy healthy recipes to share:

Tomato Basil Lasagna with Prosciutto

5 garlic cloves
1 (16 ounce) carton 1% low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup (4 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
1/4 cup grated fresh Romano cheese, divided
2 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 egg
1 (26 ounce) jar tomato basil pasta sauce
Cooking spray
12 cooked lasagna noodles
1 cup chopped prosciutto
1 cup shredded party-skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Drop garlic through the food chute with food processor on and process until minced. Add cottage cheese and process 2 minutes or until smooth (should end up the consistency of ricotta cheese). Add cream cheese, 2 T Romano cheese, basil, pepper, and egg. Process until well blended.

Spread ½ cup pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles in the pan over the sauce and top with 1 cup cheese mixture, 1/3 cup prosciutto, and ¾ cup sauce. Repeat the layers two times, ending with the noodles. Spread remaining pasta sauce on top and then top with remaining Romano cheese and mozzarella.

Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let lasagna stand 5 minutes before serving.

CALORIES: 272, FAT: 5.6 g; CARBOHYDRATE: 33 g; PROTEIN: 20.8 g; FIBER: 2.1 g
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar, Sweet Onions, and Thyme

3 T flour
3/4 tsp salt, divided
½ tsp black pepper, divided
1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (4-4 oz pieces)
2 tsp olive oil
1 small Vidalia onion, cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1 cup chicken broth
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
2 tsp butter

On a plate, combine flour, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture to coat, shaking off the excess flour.
Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, flipping once, until cooked through (about 7 minutes). Remove to a serving plate and keep warm.

Add onion to skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until lightly browned (about 4 minutes). Add broth, thyme, vinegar, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.

Remove skillet from the heat and swirl in the butter until melted. Spoon sauce over the chicken.
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby obava » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:41 am

I've never had tilapia before- I was a die-hard seafood hater until a few years ago, and am now trying to broaden my oceanic/culinary horizons. I made this for dinner last night and it was NUMMERS! If it doesn't seem like there's enough juicy stuff for the greens, TRUST- this turns out great as it is.

Balsamic Baked Tilapia
1T olive oil
1 yellow onion, halved and sliced (seems like a lot, but it works out in the end :P )
1 red bel pepper, chopped
2T balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
2 8oz tilapia fillets
2t olive oil (I had to use a lot more than this)
1C crumbled bleu cheese
4C mixed salad greens

1. preheat oven to 350*F (175*C)
2. heat 1T olive oil in large skillet over med-hi heat. Cook onion and red pepper in the oil until onion is tender and golden, and peppers are slightly soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper.
3. Rub tilapia fillets with 2t olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place fillets in a small baking dish and top with the onion mixture. Sprinkle bleu cheese evenly over the top of it all.
4. Bake until fish flakes easily (I'm at 7500 feet above sea level and it took 15 minutes here). Serve atop salad greens.
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby mandaliz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Amanda's Tater Tot Casserole

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef (I use a bag of the Morningstar faux beef crumbles)
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) 98& fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
1 bag (12 oz) frozen mixed vegetables (I like the veg gumbo mix b/c I love okra, but use whatever you like)
1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. (1/2 of 32-oz. pkg.) frozen bite-size seasoned potato nuggets

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2 Brown meat in large skillet, stirring occasionally; drain. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole. (If using faux meat you can skip browning process & pour directing into casserole dish.
3. Mix soup and milk; pour over meat mixture; top with layers of remaining ingredients.
4. Bake 45 min. or until potatoes are golden brown and casserole is heated through.
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby obava » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Just a little follow-up: I am eating the leftover tilapia in a salad- I mixed a little balsamic vinagrette with a bunch of greens and tossed in cut up fish filet with the topping, some halved cherry tomatoes, and a little more bleu cheese. OMG it's really good!! :P
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby Gianna » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Italian Tortellini Salad

1-9 oz package refrigerated cheese tortellini
1-10 oz pkg frozen sugar snap peas
4 tsp olive oil
2 T white balsamic vinegar
4 T grated parm cheese
1 ½ c cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2 T capers, drained
Black pepper

Cook tortellini according to package directions. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the sugar snap peas. Drain and rinse under cool water.
Combine oil, vinegar, and 2 T of the cheese to a bowl and mix together. Add the tortellini, peas, tomato, and capers. Toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and add black pepper to taste.

***I have always swapped out the peas for celery, as the first time I made it I didn’t have the sugar snap peas.
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby obava » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:28 pm

For Gianna: Obava's Greek Salad

Take some spinach leaves, or lettucey stuff, or half spinach and half lettucey stuff. Peel (or not, as you like) and slice about the same amount of cucumber as you have spinach/lettucey stuff. Slice thin some red onion (or not, I don't), chop some walnuts, get some tomato (cherry, grape, beefsteak, whatever- slice/chunk/chop it the way you like it), toss in some Greekish olives (I use kalamata) (with pits, without pits, halved, whole, whatever). Mix this all together, like it's a salad. It is! Getcha some balsamic vinagrette- and here's what makes it Obava's salad- mush into it some feta cheese. Dress your salad with this divine concoction and thank Rob that he brought us together so you could enjoy my salad! :lol:

PS If this "recipe" has you feeling stabby, I can relate. I used to effing HATE un-recipes. Now they are my life :D If you REALLY need me to figure out measurements, PM me and I will. I will do this for you. <3
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby mandaliz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:27 am

Multigrain Banana Streusel Muffins
I made it as mini loaves of banana bread instead of muffins

Ingredients:
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c reduced fat creamy peanut butter
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 c whole bran cereal
1 c mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1/4 c light sour cream
1tbsp vanilla
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 c buttermilk or sour milk*
1 recipe for Streusel Crunch Topping**

1. Preheat oven to 375. Line 20 muffin cups with paper bake cups. Lightly coat bake cups with cooking spray. [I just sprayed the inside of my mini loaf pans with cooking spray.] In a large bowl combine oil and peanut butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, beating until combined. Add egg, cereal, bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; beat just until combined. Set aside. In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to banana mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.

2. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Sprinkle Streusel Crunch Topping evenly over the batter.

3. Bake about 20 -30 minutes or until light brown and tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove & cool further on wire rack.

*To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tbsp vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup; stir. Let stand 5 minutes.

**Streusel Crunch Topping:
In a bowl combine 1/4 c all purpose flour, 1/4 c rolled oats, 1/4 c packed brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Add 3 tbsp canola oil. Stir to combine.

Per muffin/serving:
172 calories, 7g fat (1g sat. fat) 12 mg chol., 143 mg sodium, 24 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 4 g pro.
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Crockpot White Chicken Chili

Postby Muffinmom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 am

WHITE BEAN CHICKEN CHILI

1 sm Onion; peel/chop fine
2 md Garlic clove; peeled/chopped
1 md Red bell pepper; chopped fine
2 cn White beans, 15 ozs each, rinsed
4 oz Green chiles; canned/diced
1/2 ts Ground cumin
1 ts Chili powder
1 can Low sodium chicken broth; 14 oz
2-3 frozen chicken breasts (depends how meaty you like your chili)
2 tb Lime juice (optional, can add when its done)
2 tb Cilantro; minced (optional, can add when its done)

Place all ingredients into the crockpot, chicken breasts on top, you may sprinkle them with chili powder or cumin if you like.
Cook 6 hrs (or so) on low. Before serving, take the chicken breasts out, dice and add back into the crockpot.
Sometimes I'll add diced carrots to up the amount of veggies in it. Depending what's on my pantry, I’ll either substitutes or skip or change the amounts. This recipe is VERY forgiving!
Alternatively - you can make this on the stovetop using leftover cooked chicken. Enjoy!
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby obava » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Crock Pot Turkey Sausage and Sweet Potato Stew

1 lb cooked smoked turkey sausage, cut in half lengthwise and cut into 1 inch slices
2 small sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces (about 1lb; 2½C)
1 medium green sweet pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (3/4C)
1 large stalk celery, cut into ½ inch pieces (3/4C)
½C chopped onion
2T quick-cooking tapioca
1 can (14½ ounce) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic (don’t drain)
1 can (15 ounce) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1C beef broth
-----------------------------
In a 3½ to 6 quart slow cooker combine sausage, sweet potatoes, green pepper, celery, onion, and tapioca. Add tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and beef broth.

Cover, cook 8-10 hours (low heat setting) or 4-5 hours (high heat setting).
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby BrooklynBabe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks for all these great healthy recipes. Going to be making them.

Here's one I thought we all could enjoy.

Oops wrong pic but I'm sure we are all enjoying it. ;)

Here's the real recipe.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :lol:
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby JodieO » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:21 am

Jodie's healthy blue cheese dressing.

Pay attention and take careful notes now... you might want to get out your slide rules for this... It's a very fussy recipe.

You will need:
Greek yogurt
lemon juice
garlic salt
crumbled blue cheese
sour cream (optional)
fresh chopped chives (optional)

Take your yogurt and thin it out with a bit of lemon juice. I use the stuff in the plastic lemon. It's easier. Use just a squirt or two to start with. Shake in a bit of garlic salt. Stir in the blue cheese and chives. Stir it up real good and give it a taste. Ad more whatever as needed. Careful with the lemon juice, though, because that can easily overpower the flavor. Yogurt can sometimes seem a little mealy when you thin it out, so toss in a spoonful of sour cream to smooth out the texture.

The dressing will still be fairly thick, so you'll need to stir it well into your dressing or dip each forkful into it. Or try thinning it further with a bit of milk if you so choose.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby obava » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:54 am

Crockpot Vegetarian Chili

1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into ½ inch slices (1½C)
1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (3/4C)
½C chopped onion (1 medium)
½C thinly sliced celery
2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
½ teaspoon ground cumin
2 14½ ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 10 ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1C bottled salsa
3/4C shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
-------------------------------------------
In a 3½ to 5 quart crockpot combine zucchini, bell pepper, onion, celery, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Stir in undrained tomatoes, corn, drained beans, and salsa. Cover, cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Serve with cheese and sour cream at the table.
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:56 am

NOT healthy, but oh, so good!

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

1C butter, softened
3C sugar
3 eggs
3C flour
1T baking powder
1 ½t baking soda
1 ½t ground cinnamon
1 ½t ground cloves
1 ½t ground nutmeg
1 (16 oz) can solid packed pumpkin
½C chocolate chips
------------------------------------------
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture until just moistened. Stir in pumpkin. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into two greased 9x5x3 loaf pans. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until bread tests done.
When cool, spread cream cheese icing on top.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cream Cheese Icing

3oz cream cheese, softened
1t vanilla
2C sifted powdered sugar
1 to 2 T milk
-----------------------------
In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sifted powdered sugar. Beat in enough milk to reach desired consistency.
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby robsten4life » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:18 pm

obava wrote:I've never had tilapia before- I was a die-hard seafood hater until a few years ago, and am now trying to broaden my oceanic/culinary horizons. I made this for dinner last night and it was NUMMERS! If it doesn't seem like there's enough juicy stuff for the greens, TRUST- this turns out great as it is.

Balsamic Baked Tilapia
1T olive oil
1 yellow onion, halved and sliced (seems like a lot, but it works out in the end :P )
2T balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
2 8oz tilapia fillets
1C crumbled bleu cheese
4C mixed salad greens

2. heat 1T olive oil in large skillet over med-hi heat. Cook onion and red pepper in the oil until onion is tender and golden, and peppers are slightly soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper.
3. Rub tilapia fillets with 2t olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place fillets in a small baking dish and top with the onion mixture. Sprinkle bleu cheese evenly over the top of it all.
4. Bake until fish flakes easily (I'm at 7500 feet above sea level and it took 15 minutes here). Serve atop salad greens.

I really really really want to start incorporating more fish into my diet... the problem is I don't really know how to cook it or have many recipes. This one definitely sounds right up my alley and if anyone has any other fish recipes (preferably not salmon) throw them my way please and thank you :D :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I promise to love you forever - every single day of forever~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robsten4life
Jackson's Riding Instructor

Postby JodieO » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 pm

robsten4life wrote:
obava wrote:I've never had tilapia before- I was a die-hard seafood hater until a few years ago, and am now trying to broaden my oceanic/culinary horizons. I made this for dinner last night and it was NUMMERS! If it doesn't seem like there's enough juicy stuff for the greens, TRUST- this turns out great as it is.

Balsamic Baked Tilapia
1T olive oil
2T balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
2 8oz tilapia fillets
1C crumbled bleu cheese
4C mixed salad greens

I really really really want to start incorporating more fish into my diet... the problem is I don't really know how to cook it or have many recipes. This one definitely sounds right up my alley and if anyone has any other fish recipes (preferably not salmon) throw them my way please and thank you :D :D

My general go-to recipe for fish is a couple squirts of lemon juice, a pat of butter, and some Mrs. Dash. Then I either wrap it in foil and bake it or I put it in a frying pan with some Pam. It goes with all fish. If I'm feeling really crazy I'll wash the fish off and dredge it in some Zatarain's Fish Fri.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby BrooklynBabe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:05 pm

I had posted this fish recipe above but the link isn't working.

Tilapia Fish Tacos with Arugula

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
15 min
Cook Time:
12 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
Wonton cups:

12 (3 1/4 by 3 1/4-inch square) wonton wrappers*
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil

Filling:

3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 tilapia fillets (about 8 ounces total), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 avocado, halved, pitted and flesh cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 mango, peeled and flesh cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 green onions, finely chopped
3 cups coarsely chopped baby arugula

Dressing:

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
Kosher salt

Creme fraiche:

1/2 cup creme fraiche
1 tablespoon wasabi powder*
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

*Can be found in Asian markets

Special equipment: a 12-count nonstick muffin pan

For the wonton cups: Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Using a pastry brush, brush each side of the wonton wrappers with canola oil. Gently press the wonton wrappers into the bottom and sides of a 12-count muffin pan. Bake until lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Gently lift the wonton cups out of the pan and cool completely, about 10 minutes.

For the filling: In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Drizzle the tilapia fillets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange the fish in a single layer in the pan and cook until the flesh is flaky and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool slightly.

For the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the lime juice. Season with salt, to taste. Add the avocado, mango, green onions, and arugula. Toss until all the ingredients are coated.

For the creme fraiche: In a small bowl, mix together the creme fraiche, wasabi powder and salt until smooth.

To assemble the tacos: Put the wonton cups on a platter and divide the avocado mixture into the cups. Top each with 3 to 4 pieces of fish. Spoon about 1 to 2 teaspoons of the creme fraiche mixture on top of the fish and serve.

Cook's Note: The wonton wrappers can burn very quickly in the oven so check them after 5 minutes.

I couldn't find the wonton wrappers and I didn't want to go another so I bought spinach tortillas. They worked well but I didn't even eat them. Instead I put the salad over whole wheat couscous. Instead of the creme fraiche which Mr. BB didn't even like, I used reduced fat sour cream. And to cook the fish, I used way less olive oil. Both Mr. BB and I loved it. I will definitely make it again.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby obava » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:19 am

Obava's Best Smoothies in the World

In blender, put:
1 frozen banana*
3 or 4 frozen strawberries
3 or 4 chunks frozen pineapple
2/3 scoop vanilla flavored whey protein powder
cover the lot with frozen blueberries (about 1/3C?)
Pour enough juice over it all so the juice comes even with the top of the fruit (I use juice boxes & use a little more than 1)
Pulse until you can blend it. We like ours thick and frosty. We drink them with straws.
This makes about 2 coffee mugs full

*When my bananas get too ripe to eat fresh, I peel them and wrap them in plastic wrap, then put them in the freezer.
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby JodieO » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:50 pm

JodieO's kinda sorta healthy shepherd's pie

Brown some ground turkey. I'd go for an 80-85% fat one because you need there to be some drippings.

Push the turkey off to one side of the pan so there's a pool of drippings. Add a couple spoonfuls of corn starch and mix well with the drippings so it makes a good goo. Add a bit of water and stir that in as well. Stir the goo into the turkey until it's mixed well. It will start to look a little shiny as it gets coated. Stir in the seasonings of your choice ( I prefer Adobo http://www.goya.com/english/product_sub ... ents/Adobo ) and whatever mixed veggies you like or have hanging around. Peas, corn, chopped carrots, whatevs. Dump it all into a pie plate, smooth it out and pat it down.

Grab a bag of those already cooked & diced potatoes. They come in a green bag. Dump a little more than half the bag into a large bowl with a bit of milk or half & half and a pat of butter or two. Microwave until warm, then mash well. Add a little more milk if it's too dry. Stir in a handful of shredded cheese if you are feeling generous.

Plop spoonfuls of the potato onto the turkey mixture and carefully smooth it out until the turkey mixture is covered. It should be about 1/4-1/2 inch thick on the potato layer. You can always mash more potato if you want a thicker crust.

Bake at 400ish for 20 minutes or so, then kick the temp up to broil for a few minutes.

Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat