Go to footer

We're Making Italiano

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: We're Making Italiano

Postby JodieO » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:16 pm

JodieO's family holiday favorite dessert. The creatively named: Graham Cracker Dessert

1 carton whipping cream (use the tall skinny one unless you are just feeding a few people)
sugar
powdered baking cocoa
vanilla
graham crackers

Chill your bowl and beaters then beat your whipping cream until stiff, adding in a capful of vanilla extract and adding cocoa and sugar to taste. I also like to shake in a bit of cinnamon, but that's not official.

Break the graham crackers in half so that you have squares instead of rectangles. Schmear some of the chocolate mixture onto a square and top with another square. Schmear on more mixture, and add other square, etc until it will stand on it's own in log form. Then keep adding more whipped cream and more squares until the log is as long as you want it. Cover the top and sides of said log with the remaining whipped cream mixture. Refrigerate overnight so that the graham crackers will soften. When serving, cut at an angle so you get stripes of graham and whipped chocolate.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:25 pm

oh, that "log" sounds really good!! it sorta reminds me of the faux bannoffee pie that I like to make.( banannas and toffee ;) ) I might try this one for christmas eve 8-)
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby BrooklynBabe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:29 pm

kelbel75 wrote:oh, that "log" sounds really good!! it sorta reminds me of the faux bannoffee pie that I like to make.( banannas and toffee ;) ) I might try this one for christmas eve 8-)

You can post that recipe too. Sounds yummy as well.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:42 pm

"Ban-offee Pie"

1 package chocolate graham crackers ( the original recipe asks for choc. "digestives", but I've never seen the choc. ones before, so I just substitute the gc ;) )
6 Tablespoons butter/margarine, melted
1 can sweet-condensed milk
1 large bananna
whipped cream/cool whip

Mix butter and crushed graham crackers. Place in pie pan and cool in 'fridge for 30 minutes. Boil can of milk, with lid off, for two hours. Make sure water covers most of can; may need to add water often. Pour into bowl and let cool completely ( will be sticky ) Spread over graham crackers ( dip spoon in hot water to manage easier ) Slice bananna and place on top of Toffee. Top with whipped cream.

**I know the boiling of the milk IN it's can sounds weird, but that's what makes this recipe; faux homemade toffee!
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Gianna » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Gia's Pasta Puttanesca

4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound of pasta, I normally use spaghetti or spaghetti rigati
2 T olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 tsp minced anchovies, minced (about 8 fillets)
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, San Marzano if possible (I normally drain out about half the juice)
3 T capers
1/2 c kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped

Bring water to a boil. Meanwhile, mix garlic with 1T of water and set aside. When water is boiling, add 1 T salt and pasta. Immediately heat oil, garlic mixture, red pepper flakes, and anchovies in a large saute pan. Cook over medium heat and stir frequently until garlic is fragrant but not brown (about 2-3 min). Stir in tomatoes and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8 min. Stir capers, olives, and parsley to the sauce. Toss cooked pasta with the sauce and serve immediately.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby obava » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Quinoa Salad with Smoked Paprika Dressing

1.5C quinoa
4C packed baby spinach
2 cans (15-16 oz) garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 3/4C unpeeled English hothouse cucumber, cut into 1/3 inch cubes
1pt baby tomatoes, halved
1C packed fresh mint leaves
1.5C (about 7oz) crumbled feta cheese, divided
1/4C Sherry wine vinegar
2.5t smoked paprika
1/2C olive oil
----------------------
Place quinoa in a large saucepan; add enough salted water to cover quinoa by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover & simmer until quinoa is tender, 15-16 minutes. Drain. chill until cool.

Meanwhile, combine spinach, beans, cucumber, tomatoes, mint, and half the feta in an extra-large bowl. Add cooled quinoa and toss gently to blend.
Whisk vinegar & paprika in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining feta on top.
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Mix-ins for Quinoa (also works for barley & bulgur)
Cook 3/4C according to package directions, then mix in one of these combos. Serves 4

1. Raisins, almonds, & scallions
1/4C raisins
1/2C chopped roasted almonds
2 chopped scallions
Season with 1/2t kosher salt & 1/4t black pepper

2. White beans, tomatoes, & Parmesan
1C rinsed cannellini beans
1C halved grape tomatoes
1/2C grated Parmesan
2T chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

3. Olives & oregano
1/2C quartered pitted kalamata olives
2t chopped fresh pregano
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:18 pm

WARNING: I have not tried this yet, but SeattleLisa just couldn't wait, and anytime she gets the wild hair to cook, I'm all about supporting her! :lol:

This is a low-fat Moosewood recipe

Southwestern Corn and Potato Soup
1C finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 small fresh chile, seeded and minced
1/4t salt
3C vegetable stock
2t ground cumin
1 med sweet potato, diced (about 2C)
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
3C fresh or frozen corn kernels
salt to taste
lime wedges
finely chopped fresh cilantro
--------------------------------------
Simmer onions, garlic, chile and salt in 1C of vegetable stock in a covered soup crock for about 10 minutes or until onions are soft. In a small bowl, make a paste with the cumin and 1T of the stock, stir into the pot, and simmer for another minute or 2. Add the sweet potato and rest of the stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the bell pepper and corn and simmer for another 10 minutes or so, until all the vegetables are tender.

Puree about half the soup in a food processor or blender or with an immersion blender, and return it to the pot. The soup will be creamy and thick. Add salt to taste and gently reheat on low heat. Serve with lime wedges and top cilantro.
---------------------------
Per 9oz serving:
186 cal
4.8g protein
1.5g fat
42.7g carbs
0.2g saturated fatty acids
0.6g polyunsaturated fatty acids
0.3g monounsaturated fatty acids
0mg cholesterol
207mg sodium
5.3g total dietary fiber
--------------------------
Lisa, you are welcome. :P
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby SpunkyBookworm » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Here's a great veggie recipe, and it serves 2-4---depending on if you make it a meal or a side:
Balsamic vegetables:
1 clove garlic-crushed
Olive oil
1 Cup Mushrooms-your choice of type
1/2 Med or 1 small Onion-chopped
1 can quartered artichoke hearts (if you use frozen, about 1/2 bag)
Balsamic Vinegar
Optional or if you want to make this a meal:
6 Brussels Sprouts--halved or quartered

Pour olive oil AROUND the pan (this is a good amount, probably 1/8-1/4 c) Heat olive oil and garlic in a skillet
Add Onion and optional Brussels Sprouts-Let onions get al dente and sprouts will become nice and fragrant.
Add Mushrooms and stir until al dente
Add artichokes and about 1/8-1/4 cup balsamic vinegar. Let them get warm. Salt and pepper to taste. SERVE OVER RICE OR PASTA
I'm doing this off the top of my head, so I hope you like it.

Feel free to change the veggies. It's pretty good either way!
It's Time!!
SpunkyBookworm
Fake Lesbian

Postby obava » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Udon Noodle Bowl with Spinach and Tofu
4C vegetable broth
3T mirin (rice wine) or sweet white wine
3 cloves garlic, slightly smashed
4 (1/8 inch thick) slices peeled fresh ginger
14oz extra-firm tofu, cut into large cubes
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1.5 inch strips
1t toasted sesame oil, plus more for garnish
1T black or brown sesame seeds
1 large carrot, thinly sliced into 1.5 inch strips
4C baby spinach leaves
1t tamari
8oz udon noodles
1 scallion, thinly sliced on the diagonal
---------------------------------------------------
Combine broth, wine, and ginger; bring to a high simmer, cover, and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the flavors are infused. Add tofu and cook for 3-5 minutes. Discard ginger and garlic.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil an add bell pepper; cook for 1 minute, until crisp-tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with sesame oil and seeds. Set aside.
Return water to a boil. Add carrots and cook for 2 minutes, until crisp-tender; transfer with a slotted spoon to a small plate. Add spinach and cook for 1 minute; transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water. Combine spinach and in a bowl with tamari, toss to mix. Return pot to a boil (adding more water if necessary), ad udon, and cook al dente. Drain.
To serve, divide udon among 6 bowls. In 1/3 of each bowl, tuck carrots on a diagonal into noodles, extending a bit above the surface. Arrange spinach in a small pile near carrots. Arrange bell pepper strips next to spinach. Divide tofu evenly among bowls, placing in the center. Pour broth over all, shower with scallions, drizzle with toasted sesame oil if desired, and serve immediately.

Gah after I wrote all this, I found the link:
http://newhope360.com/recipes/udon-bowl-spinach-and-tofu

here's a photo of mine! http://twitpic.com/8gnn05
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Peanut Butter Death Cookies (Regular PB cookies, but oh so bad for you)

1/2 C.Shortening
1/2 C. Butter
1-1/2 C. Peanut Butter
2 Eggs
1 C. Sugar
2/3 C. Brown Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2-1/2 C. Flour

1) In large bowl, cream shortening, butter, and peanut butter. Then add eggs.
2) In separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
3) Cup by cup, add dry mixture to wet ingredients.
4) Form into balls about the size of golf balls and press with fork.
5) Bake at 375* for 10 minutes.

Makes...a lot. I have no idea, this is written on scrap paper. :lol: :lol: :lol: By far the best cookies I've ever had. they stay soft for days because of all the shortening.

Edit: Just made them and they make 2-3 dozen depending on how much dough you eat. I came up with 30.
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby SpunkyBookworm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:33 am

Kay Kay wrote:Peanut Butter Death Cookies (Regular PB cookies, but oh so bad for you)

1/2 C.Shortening
1/2 C. Butter
1-1/2 C. Peanut Butter
2 Eggs
1 C. Sugar
2/3 C. Brown Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2-1/2 C. Flour

Makes...a lot. I have no idea, this is written on scrap paper. :lol: :lol: :lol: By far the best cookies I've ever had. they stay soft for days because of all the shortening.

Edit: Just made them and they make 2-3 dozen depending on how much dough you eat. I came up with 30.

Hi! Will it matter if I used just extra butter in lieu of shortening? These sound yum!
It's Time!!
SpunkyBookworm
Fake Lesbian

Postby SpunkyBookworm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:36 am

kelbel75 wrote:"Ban-offee Pie"

**I know the boiling of the milk IN it's can sounds weird, but that's what makes this recipe; faux homemade toffee!

My friend worked in a candy store and this is how they made their carmels and toffees.
It's Time!!
SpunkyBookworm
Fake Lesbian

Postby Kay Kay » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:45 pm

SpunkyBookworm wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:Peanut Butter Death Cookies (Regular PB cookies, but oh so bad for you)

1/2 C.Shortening
1/2 C. Butter
1-1/2 C. Peanut Butter
2 Eggs
1 C. Sugar
2/3 C. Brown Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2-1/2 C. Flour

Hi! Will it matter if I used just extra butter in lieu of shortening? These sound yum!

I'm not sure. I've only made them this way. The shortening keeps them soft though, all other PB cookies I've had get rock hard after a day. I would say try it and let me know!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Kay Kay » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm

KK's California BLTAs Minus Most of those Ingredients!

So, I don't know if these are inherently "Califonia-y" but I invented them and I live in CA so, yes. It's pretty much a Pita sandwich but with some fanciness.

Ingredients:
Pita Pockets
Bacon or Turkey Bacon (I use turkey bacon)
Feta
Spinach (about a handful per pocket)
Avocado
Tomato
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Pepper

1) Using half pitas, open them to make sure the sides aren't stuck together and bake them for about 7-8 minutes on 350*
2) Put spinach in a bowl and coat lightly with olive oil, lemon juice and pepper. Toss lightly. I use just a few splashes of lemon juice. It gives it some kick but not quite sour. It actually makes a fairly decent salad dressing by itself so I'll usually eat the left over with a fork.
3) Stuff your pita with the spinach salad, add feta to taste (about a tablespoon, I'd guess), 1-2 pieces of bacon, 1-2 slices of avo and 1-2 slices of tomato. (I don't actually put tomato with mine, I pretty much only make these to go with tomato soup, but in lieu of the soup, you can add the tomato).

this is the worst direction ever, but it's not difficult. I made this for Mr. Kk and he LOVED it. The bacon and feta go together SO well but the avocado and olive oil soften the flavor quite a bit. Definitely one of my favorites lunches. You can substitute Romain for the spinach and mozzarella for the feta. Still fine but not amazing. :)
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby BakingNath » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm

So here is the recipe i spoke about a few weeks ago... it is linked to the past (18th century... i can explain it for those interested) of my hometown Nantes (hence "nantais" = from Nantes)
Sorry, measures are in grams, not cups or oz... and i kept "rhum" instead of "rum".. because i like this orthography better :D .
The rhum i prefer is the "amber" one, but for the recipe the icing has to be white to give this particular result :
(not my picture, i "borrowed" it :) )

"Gateau Nantais"

Cake:
100 g sugar
150 g ½ salted butter
125 g powdered almonds
40 g flour, 3 eggs,
2 tablespoons rhum.

Mix all the ingredients and put the dough in a round cake pan
Put the pan in preheated oven at 320°F during 30 to 40.
The cake should not be too brown, otherwise the syrup will not soak it correctly

Syrup:
135 g water, 135 g sugar,
5 tablespoons rhum.

Boil the water with the sugar. Add the rhum.
Soak the still warm cake with it.

Icing:
120 g powdered sugar
5 tablespoons rhum

Mix together and spread on the cold & soaked cake

And enjoy in small or not that small pieces, depending of your liking of rhum ;) :D
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
BakingNath
Not a Bear

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:40 pm

JodieO wrote:Jodie's healthy blue cheese dressing.

Pay attention and take careful notes now... you might want to get out your slide rules for this... It's a very fussy recipe.

You will need:
Greek yogurt
lemon juice
garlic salt
crumbled blue cheese
sour cream (optional)
fresh chopped chives (optional)

Take your yogurt and thin it out with a bit of lemon juice. I use the stuff in the plastic lemon. It's easier. Use just a squirt or two to start with. Shake in a bit of garlic salt. Stir in the blue cheese and chives. Stir it up real good and give it a taste. Ad more whatever as needed. Careful with the lemon juice, though, because that can easily overpower the flavor. Yogurt can sometimes seem a little mealy when you thin it out, so toss in a spoonful of sour cream to smooth out the texture.

The dressing will still be fairly thick, so you'll need to stir it well into your dressing or dip each forkful into it. Or try thinning it further with a bit of milk if you so choose.

Instead of sour cream I've started adding a splash of olive oil. It's good for you and it smooths out the grainy consistency of the yogurt.

I have also started adding Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash and a little bit of garlic salt.

Believe it or not this makes a fantastic dip for apple wedges. YOM!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby obava » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:04 pm

This is such a good recipe! I've only made it once, and I thought 40min was too long for the roasted veggies. Happy eating!

Salami Wrap Salad
http://www.lhj.com/recipes/easy/salads/fast-fresh-salads/?page=4
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby SeattleLisa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:29 pm

obava wrote:This is such a good recipe! I've only made it once, and I thought 40min was too long for the roasted veggies. Happy eating!

Salami Wrap Salad
http://www.lhj.com/recipes/easy/salads/fast-fresh-salads/?page=4

YUM! This sounds good. Maybe I should add your beloved beets, too?
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby SpunkyBookworm » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:30 am

I just found this recipe on one of my fav recipe sites. It's a low carb pizza from a blog called "Your Lighter Side". The crust is chicken and Mozzarella! I may have to try it!

yourlighterside(DOT)com/low-carb-deep-dish-pan-pizza/
It's Time!!
SpunkyBookworm
Fake Lesbian

Postby obava » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Obava's Veggie Frittata

1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
1 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1/4 chopped red onion
1 can artichoke quarters, drained well
1T minced garlic (or as much as you like)
2T olive oil
kosher salt and pepper
---
1/2C shredded mozzarella (or as much as you like)
8 eggs or 2C egg substitute
1/2C milk
1T fresh chopped or 1t dried herb (dill or basil or whatever you like)
3/4t salt
1t pepper
2T flour
---
more shredded mozzarella
3T shredded Parmesan
-----------------------
Preheat oven to 400*F. Mix the asparagus, pepper, zucchini, onion, artichoke hearts, and garlic with the olive oil. Put in a rectangular baking dish (I used a 4qt one). Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until done. Stir halfway through.
---
turn oven down to 350*F. Lightly coat a 3qt baking dish with cooking spray. Spread the roasted veggies evenly in the dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, herb, salt and pepper. Whisk in the flour, making sure it's completely combined. Pour this over the roasted veggies. Bake uncovered at 350*F for 35 min or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Sprinkle with more mozzarella and Parmesan and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 pm

The New Wedge Salad
*Obava's substitutes below*

1. Wrap red and golden beets, a sprinkling of kosher salt and a little olive oil in aluminum foil. Roast at 375 degrees fahrenheit until tender, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool. Dice 3/4 of a pound pancetta into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook in a skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered and pancetta is golden and cooked, about 20 minutes. Reserve a few tablespoons of the fat.
2. Slice iceberg lettuce and serve with pancetta, sliced beets, toasted hazelnuts, crumbled Roquefort cheese and Lemon Parsley Vinaigrette.

Lemon-Parsley Vinaigrette
Stir together 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/2 clove minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley. Combine reserved pancetta fat and enough extra-virgin olive oil to make 1/2 cup and whisk into dressing.

*Obava's Substitutes*
I roast the beets, let cool. Peel and slice.
I mix 1/2 beet with a few cups of salad greens (my store has an herb mix that is SO GOOD), 1T bacon bits, 1T blue cheese, some chopped walnuts, and 1T of the Lemon Parsley Vinaigrette (my favorite salad dressing!).
When I make the dressing, I just use 1/2C olive oil since I use pre-made bacon bits & therefore have no pancetta fat.

PS This recipe is from the same Ladies' Home Journal article as the Salami Wrap Salad a previously posted: http://www.lhj.com/recipes/easy/salads/fast-fresh-salads/?page=1
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby SpunkyBookworm » Thu May 03, 2012 11:03 am

Hi! I wanted Macaroni and Cheese one day, but I didn't want to use any pasta, including whole grain. I had lentils and barley in my cupboard, so I used that. You can use all kinds of cheese. I think plain old sharp cheddar is my favorite so far. :o This is not a low fat/low salt recipe. It's too yummy for that! But it's perfect for a good comfort food day and won't mess w/ your blood sugar.
Not-Refined Mac and Cheese

5 cups water
3 T +1tsp bullion-whatever flavor you like. I like Chicken
1 Cup Barley
1 1/2 cup lentils-rinsed (lentils need to be rinsed b/c they have a dusty flavor to them if not rinsed)
1/8 cup cream
2 Cups cheese (any flavor)
1/4tsp salt (optional)
Mustard and Paprika to taste

Bring water and bullion to boil, and add barley and vent-cover. After 10 minutes, add lentils. Cover and cook for about 25-30 mins. Lentils will start to split and barley will be twice its size. Turn down heat and stir uncovered w/ a light boil a few mins more. Keep the water, as it's full of starch from the barley and will be part of the thickening agent. Add the salt if you want it.

Turn off heat. :o There is too much water in the pan if it's not evenly distributed through the grains. You want the grains to be up on the surface of the water. If not, drain some off. Add cream. Stir. Then add your cheese. Add paprika for a little bite and a little mustard for an extra zing if you want.

:o I like my barley al dente (Chewy), so I cook it less. I added 5 mins to this recipe, so it may fit your specs better.

You can also try w/ quinoa or other grains. Just follow their cooking specs.

I hope you enjoy this! Let me know either way! I tend to eyeball things, so this is an eyeballed recipe.
:P Add any kind of meat at the end if you must.
It's Time!!
SpunkyBookworm
Fake Lesbian

Postby SpunkyBookworm » Fri May 04, 2012 11:43 pm

I mentioned bread pudding in my "usual" thread the other day, and so I'm posting mine. :o Be warned-This is a recipe that I came up w/, so it may not be as lovely as what mom or gram made!

As with most things pudding, bread pudding is originally something that is made out of old bread. It's pretty simple to do, and mine, for all intents and purposes, tastes like (is) french toast. The only difference is the glaze, which would be like the syrup on the top. DEEEELICIOUS! Oh, and when I made this last, I didn't make the glaze, I just put some butter and a little real maple on top.

Bread Pudding-Spunky Style!
Pudding:
3 Stale french hoagie rolls cubed in 1/2-1in pieces----these are what you buy from the bakery counter. This or artisan bread works really well b/c they actually do get old and stale-unlike bread from the plastic bag.
6-7 eggs
2 cups milk
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Vanilla
Salt
In large mixing bowl, beat eggs and milk until well mixed. Add the spices and beat again.
Add bread cubes and coat thoroughly, until all bread has been covered in mixture. Let sit for 5 mins, then dash salt around it.

Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan and pour mixture and cover w/ foil to go into a 350 degree oven for about 35 mins. Uncover and let bake until knife inserted comes out clean, or the egg that comes out is cooked--5-10 mins-top will also firm up.

Glaze/Sauce
1 cup cream
2 T milk (optional)
1/2 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar OR REAL Maple syrup (it may be a thinner consistency)
1/2 tsp vanilla
In small saucepan, melt butter, then add sugar/syrup and stir constantly until mixture is close to boil. Add cream and continue stirring until it's caramely and starts to boil (while stirring). If you feel it's too thick, add the milk a little at a time. Add vanilla and stir. This should be a little thicker than nectar consistency.

Pour over pudding and cut in squares. This makes as much as you want to eat, but 8 servings is about right.

You can add dried fruit to pudding, or nuts to the sauce. Find your own way. I hope you enjoy!
Last edited by SpunkyBookworm on Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Time!!
SpunkyBookworm
Fake Lesbian

Postby Elsie_Tanner » Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 am

That bread pudding sounds very similar to our English Bread and butter pudding which is oh so good!

1 x brioche loaf
2 x eggs
3/4 pint milk
sugar to taste
sultanas/raisins to taste

This is very quick to assemble and is just the best comfort food.

Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6/200C/400F

Butter one side of each slice of the brioche loaf and cut into triangles. Arrange a layer in the bottom of medium/large oven proof dish, once you have your first layer sprinkle with sugar and sultanas/raisins. Keep layering until you reach the top of the dish. It is best to have the triangle points to the top as these get nice and chewy and crispy once baked. Mix the milk and eggs together then pour over the bread layers. Press down with a spoon so that all the bread is soaked in the eggy liquid.

Bake in the oven for about 20 mins until the top is golden and crispy. You can bake for longer if you like it that way.

Serve hot with custard, cream or ice cream.

I made my last one with a chocolate chip brioche loaf and left out the sultanas and it was so good!
Elsie_Tanner
Renee's Cooking Instructor

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat