Go to footer

The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:49 am

Kay Kay wrote:Spoiler .gif! It looks like it's right after the opening ceremony/parade thingy! I am so frickin excited!

Image


WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else expect Effie to be a little more... colorful?
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Cinna about to light them on fire! From EW.
Image
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Cinna and Katniss: Same picture, one is fancier.
Image


Image


*Flail*
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm

There will probably be an embeddable version of this before long, but for now, trailer #2! http://www.hypable.com/hunger-games/201 ... 2-is-here/
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby mkladyjmm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Better late than never, I guess. I just downloaded the first book on my cellphone today and I'm riveted! Excited to see what the excitement is all about before I see the movie. TTFN.
------
Joyce
User avatar
mkladyjmm
Fake Lesbian
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:47 am
Location: Lansing, Robigan


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 pm

LENNY KRAVITZ ON ELLEN TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:37 am

Pick up this week's Entertainment Weekly. There's a huge spread of photos and a long and fabulous article!
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Hahahahahaha! I would be her friend. She might even put Rob's word vomit to shame....maybe.

User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm Jennifer spamming. I don't know how to post NBC videos so here's the link to Jennifer on Jimmy Fallon. It a lot of her talking a lot about Harry Potter. I LOVE HER!

http://mockingjay.net/2012/03/22/jennifer-lawrence-talks-hunger-games-plays-3-point-shootout-on-jimmy-fallon
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Anyone have any reviews??? I'm not feeling articulate so I'm stealing Mark's from Mark Read's because I agree with him + flail hands.
http://markwatches.net/reviews/2012/03/mark-watches-the-hunger-games/#more-1013
Oh god, The Hunger Games is a movie now, and I saw it, and it happened and I am completely and utterly overwhelmed by everything please help me.

It’s easy to nitpick certain things about The Hunger Games film, especially after most of us have spent so much time thinking about the world that Suzanne Collins created. I think that there are some points I couldn’t really ignored that rubbed me the wrong way, but these were mere gripes. None of them ruined the movie. None of them made me dislike what I was seeing. And none of them distracted from what an immense accomplishment that this was.

I was initially struck by how District 12 looked exactly like what I had in my brain; that alone is a feat of wonder because I can’t imagine shit in my head. But I wanted to see a drab, rundown locale, one that was muted in color and excitement, where people were filthy and clinging to what little hope they had day-to-day. Those opening rapid shots of the film that cycled through these miniature portraits of the citizens of District 12 set a tone that was both satisfying and expected. This needed to be a film that alternated between the gritty and the visually absurd. Specifically because this was done so well, I did find myself disappointed that District 12 seemed to receive a whole lot of whitewashing, even in terms of the background actors and actresses. Honestly, I don’t even think it would have been as jarring if the Reaping itself didn’t look so clean. I get that the families would wash up and prepare their children for this annual event (which in and of itself is a disturbing thought), but it clashed so much with the opening clips of the town that it made it even easier to notice how few people of color their were. (To the film’s credit, everything involving District 11 made me want to roll in the aisles with delight and joy. DONE SO PERFECTLY MY GOD.)

But otherwise, right from the start, this just looks so right. It’s disturbing as hell, and I knew what was going to happen. That moment when Effie arrived was so perfect that I could not believe this was a Hollywood adaptation of The Hunger Games book. That’s not to say there weren’t changes made to appease various parties, but I could not fathom how faithful this was to the original source. The Reaping was just a silent as I imagined it. Katniss’s characterization was 100% accurate (JENNIFER LAWRENCE, MY QUEEN); Gale’s face was too brilliant for words; and I could not accept anyone else aside from Josh Hutcherson as Peeta or Elizabeth Banks as Effie. The same goes for Woody Harrelson or Lenny Kravitz. (God, I could spend a novel talking about how fucking stella Lenny Kravitz was as Cinna.)

What’s interesting about the experience is that so many of us who saw it knew the story. So even writing about it, there’s not much I can say about any plot twists or characterization. There were differences, for sure, but the vast majority of them were incredibly subtle in ways that didn’t change the tone or the point of the story. Not that there weren’t things that were left out that I wished I could see! No Madge, no leg injury on Peeta, no loaf of bread from District 11. But I think it would have been unrealistic, at least for my own expectations, to want everything in the book on the screen.

Truthfully, there were even some changes I thought improved The Hunger Games. The chance to see Seneca Crane in a much more in-depth way was fantastic, especially the poetically brutal way in which he was executed. The same goes for President Snow, who had a bazillion percent more lines and scenes. It was so satisfying to watch because you could see how they were setting up the following two movies. Also SENECA AND YOUR PRECIOUS BEARD.

But the truth is, I could deal with things left out if the story was true to the source. An adaptation can rarely be perfect (except for The Princess Bride or maybe No Country For Old Men), so I just care if the themes and the tone is right. For me, that’s why I enjoyed The Hunger Games so much. It felt genuine. So many of the sets, the small moments of characterization, the costumes, the sheer brutality of the bloodbath… that’s what I wanted from this movie. I wanted to experience all of the things I went through when I first read the novel. Obviously, I can never re-live those moments exactly as they were, but I wanted to feel the life-destroying sadness when Rue died. I wanted to see the grotesque fashion of the Capitol. I wanted to see Katniss’s struggle with her own femininity within the context of the Games. I wanted to see how ridiculous the pageantry of the Capitol would be.

Perhaps I expected something so much worse, and this was just better than that. I am going to see it again next week with some friends, and I hope to get a better idea about how I ultimately feel about this film. For now, though, I’m extremely pleased with what I’ve seen, and I’m genuinely eager for my second viewing. For the most part, people I know seem quite happy with this adaptation, too, so I’m interested to see how y’all felt too. What were your favorite scenes? Did you ever know you’d have so many feelings about seeing a cat for half a second? I may have yelled TEAM BUTTERCUP more times than necessary.

Oh god, so many fucking feelings. I can’t wait to see it a million more times.

I will only add I wish they had beat Katniss and Peeta up a bit more. Katniss had way more than one injury. Also, the end felt a bit rushed. I loved the addition of Haymitch notes with the gifts and I loved Ceasar's commentary popping in to fill in what would have been Katniss' necessary information from internal dialogue. God, they did such a good job getting everything across without a lot of dialogue. Jennifer Lawrence is amazing. Also, A+ cave swooning. Seriously. And Gale punched me in his face with being gorgeous. Suddenly Katniss's wavering makes a thousand times more sense. ;) ;) ;)


Oh, and my interior designy self must add that although I pictured the Capitol to be more pristine and bright, I liked that it was a bit dark and industrial looking. I felt it set the tone MUCH better. I felt like a disguised prision- which is exactly what it was.

I'm seeing again tomorrow with Mr. KK. Can NOT wait.
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby BrooklynBabe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:08 am

Wasn't planning on seeing the HG this early on (yesterday) but also had a block of time to kill before I went with my DH to see a production of "Ghosts" at the university he is attending. I was surprised that the theater was not packed just 1/2 full. This was a 3:30 in the afternoon. I am usually disappointed in book adaptations translated to the big screen, but this hit it spot on. A lot was cut out and not much was changed from the story and it hit all the basics. The only thing I was disappointed about was Katniss and Gale's relationship seemed to be glossed over and Peeta seemed edgier in the book. Wasn't terribly impressed with LH's performance but I thought JH did a much better job than I expected. (Had such low expectations of him so maybe that's why). Everyone else did a great job. JL was phenomenal. I thought Lenny Kravitz was a little understated as Cinna but I liked that portrayal maybe even better than how the book portrayed him. Marvel (who kills Rue) was played by Jack Quaid the son of Med Ryan and Dennis Quaid. I've seen pics of him as a child growing up and I always hoped he would grow into his looks, but I was mistaken. I think he got his Uncle Randy's genes. And I pictured the cornicopia completely differently.

I think one of the reasons the movie was just as good as the book (IMO) is because Suzanne Collins, the author of the book, was one of the screen writers and that made a big difference. Now I need to go reread the book again.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
User avatar
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover
 
Posts: 10877
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:32 pm


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Alexandra » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:49 am

I took my oldest and her BFF to the 11 am showing on Saturday. Nothing as much fun as the lines at the consession stand on a rainy Saturday the first weekend a big movie opens. :x Anyway, the theatre was packed but we managed to get decent seats and I managed to balance the giant tub of popcorn, 3 sodas and a bag of candy back to the seats without spilling it. (This was actually quite a feat as, the lady who decided to bring her toddler in a stroller into the theatre - more on her later - was blocking the entire aisle, and almost caused me to spill everything. :roll: ) I really liked the movie and thought they did a great job adapting the book. The girls were very upset that Katniss bought the Mockingjay pin, rather that getting it from the mayor's daughter, and I wanted the bread from District 11 to be delivered to Katniss after she honored Rhue. I loved Woody H. as Haymitch. I thought he was perfect for the part. Same with Lenny K. Great! I liked how they showed Seneca Crane and the command/control over the arena. I even kind of felt bad for him in the end. Donald Sutherland was really good as President Snow. I kind of wish Senaca had given him a few pointers on beard maintainence. Ew. That beard was nasty.

The lady who brought her toddler to the movie needs a good swift kick in the ass. I've been a person with little kids and you know what? I didn't bring them to adult movies. I either got a sitter or a friend to stay with the little darlings or I waited and rented it when it came out on DVD. Does it suck to have to pay $$$ to a sitter or wait 3 months? Yes it does, but that's one of the many joys of parenthood. UGH! No one wants to hear your screaming toddler during the movie. :x It's not fair to the kid or to the other people in the theatre.

Question: Am I the only one who didn't like the POV hand held camera stuff? Ugh. I lit'rally felt sick to my stomach during most of the movie. I blame it on the bouncy, super close, fade in and out of focus style of filming. HATE IT. Now, I realize my feeling so sicK could have have been due to: 1. the bouncing camera work; 2. the nutritious lunch I ate of popcorn, diet coke and sour patch kids; 3. the ridiculous amount of pollen in the air that is giving me a constant headache; or 4. all of the above. When I mentioned to my brother that I hated that POV hand held camera feel to the movie, he said "We let's face reality, you aren't really the age demographic they were going for when they made this movie, are you?" Asshole. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
User avatar
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires
 
Posts: 9692
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Northern Virginia


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I think I still need a second viewing to get a better handle on my feelings, but I have to say I came away loving this movie. If any of you know how disappointed I was with the Harry Potter films, then you know that I'm pretty rough on adaptations, but I felt that despite the changes THG really hit the story spot on.

I know a lot of people were upset over the Mockingjay pin and the fact that Madge wasn't there, but it didn't bother me that much. Maybe because I knew beforehand that the character had been cut. Some people were upset because they felt it was important to point out that some people did like Katniss, but since she wasn't nearly as abrasive in the film as she was in the books I don't really feel like that was an issue. The only reason I sort of missed it (and the visit with Peeta's father) was because it showed that even in this depressed shitty place where they lived, there was still a sense of community and caring for each other.

I would have much rather they had left out the riot in District 11 (I always want to say 7 for some reason.. Rue was from 11, right??) and showed them sending Katniss the bread instead. Again, I missed the sense that they actually cared that much about just one more dead girl in these mandatory yearly games that they spent their meager resources to send Katniss a gift. I also feel like the surprise of finding out that Kat's small acts of kindness had begun a rebellion was one of the more exciting parts of Catching Fire. That 'HOLY SHIT' moment.

I would date just about any man with Seneca Crane's beard. I too felt bad for him in the end. There really wasn't a whole lot he could have done except for outright killing one of the more popular Tributes, which doesn't always make for good TV. Just ask Project Runway how much they liked the backlash when an unlikable (and not as talented) designer won over one of the favorites.

I was a little disappointed with the Capital fashions, but at the same time I loved them and wanted to be able to look at them MORE. I wanted less Dr. Suess and more fucked up outlandishness.

If I hadn't been in a movie theater I would have been bawling my eyes out during the Reaping. It wrecked me. WRECKED.

I thought Donald Sutherland did a fantastic job being quietly menacing and calculating, but I wish he didn't look quite so... homeless..

These are all nitpicky things that I have complaints with. My only real complaint is with the chariot costume and Kat's twirly dress. I wanted to be blown away by them and I just wasn't. In the chariot Kat looked like Queen Amedala with some cheap CGI fire, and the red dress just looked like a thrift store prom dress. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE AMAZING, CINNA! AMAZE ME!!

I love Cinna.

I missed the part where Kat has to take off Peeta's pants to clean his wound. She just gets so flustered and embarrassed and I thought it was funny.

I had my doubts about Peanut Peeta, but he proved me wrong. He did a fantastic job.

Haymitch's wig didn't bother me at all, but he did look to be in awfully good shape for dirty old broken down drunk.

I'm sure I have more to say, but work is distracting me. Guess I'll just have to go see it again.. SIIIGH.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:19 am

So I saw THG again last night. I'm still not sure I've been able to form an opinion on the movie as I was slightly distracted by the guy behind me who guffawed at EVERYTHING.

Katniss goes into the room where none of the Gamemakers pay attention to her

"Haw haw haw!"

Katniss shoots an apple out of the pig's mouth.

"Haw haw haw!"

The Gamemakers announce a rule change allowing more than one victor.

"Haw haw haw haw!"

Katniss finds Peeta disguised in the mud.

"HAW HAW HAW HAW!"

The Gamemakers rescind their previous rule.

"Haw haw haw haw!"

Peeta and Katniss prepare to eat nightlock.

"HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW!"

And I went with my cousin, which I forgot is a huge mistake since she's not only a talker and a question asker, but she's a phone checker and occasional texter. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Anyway. Guess I'll have to see it again.

Enjoy this.

Image
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Alexandra » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 am

My oldest has decided to be Katniss for Halloween this year. Yes, it is March and she's already thinking about her Halloween costume. That's normal, right? I'm posting this in case any of you see a cheap Mockingjay pin in your travels, (cheap = $10ish) please pick it up for me and I'll pay you for it. Thanks.
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
User avatar
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires
 
Posts: 9692
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Northern Virginia


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 am

Alexandra wrote:My oldest has decided to be Katniss for Halloween this year. Yes, it is March and she's already thinking about her Halloween costume. That's normal, right? I'm posting this in case any of you see a cheap Mockingjay pin in your travels, (cheap = $10ish) please pick it up for me and I'll pay you for it. Thanks.


I'll keep an eye out! Also keep checking etsy.com. I'd be surprised if there aren't a bunch up already. If worse comes to worse you could probably carefully cut out a photo of the pin and glue it to something rigid and then spray it with spray varnish...
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Alexandra » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:05 am

JodieO wrote:
Alexandra wrote:My oldest has decided to be Katniss for Halloween this year. Yes, it is March and she's already thinking about her Halloween costume. That's normal, right? I'm posting this in case any of you see a cheap Mockingjay pin in your travels, (cheap = $10ish) please pick it up for me and I'll pay you for it. Thanks.


I'll keep an eye out! Also keep checking etsy.com. I'd be surprised if there aren't a bunch up already. If worse comes to worse you could probably carefully cut out a photo of the pin and glue it to something rigid and then spray it with spray varnish...


I just googled and I should have known that Hot Topic would already have them for sale. I even saw them on the Toys 'r Us website. So I'll have to pick one up for her. I wasn't creative or crafty enough to think of just making it myself. Thanks for the suggestions. Oh and I know she'd love the mockingjay rubber stamp that I saw on Etsy. I may end up getting that for her. :D
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
User avatar
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires
 
Posts: 9692
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Northern Virginia


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am

Alexandra wrote:
JodieO wrote:
Alexandra wrote:My oldest has decided to be Katniss for Halloween this year. Yes, it is March and she's already thinking about her Halloween costume. That's normal, right? I'm posting this in case any of you see a cheap Mockingjay pin in your travels, (cheap = $10ish) please pick it up for me and I'll pay you for it. Thanks.


I'll keep an eye out! Also keep checking etsy.com. I'd be surprised if there aren't a bunch up already. If worse comes to worse you could probably carefully cut out a photo of the pin and glue it to something rigid and then spray it with spray varnish...


I just googled and I should have known that Hot Topic would already have them for sale. I even saw them on the Toys 'r Us website. So I'll have to pick one up for her. I wasn't creative or crafty enough to think of just making it myself. Thanks for the suggestions. Oh and I know she'd love the mockingjay rubber stamp that I saw on Etsy. I may end up getting that for her. :D


Haha! Awesome. =) Now just keep checking thrift stores for the leather jacket and boots and learn to do this: http://blog.birchbox.com/post/197149309 ... -countdown
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Alexandra wrote:My oldest has decided to be Katniss for Halloween this year. Yes, it is March and she's already thinking about her Halloween costume. That's normal, right? I'm posting this in case any of you see a cheap Mockingjay pin in your travels, (cheap = $10ish) please pick it up for me and I'll pay you for it. Thanks.

If I were still in college, I'd be all of my belongings that there will be a lot of Seneca Cranes this year at Frat parties. Every boy is going to want to do that beard, and his costume isn't difficult at all (since boys are lazy as shit). IF I manage to find some place to go this year, I'll try to do an Effie! Eeee!
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Alexandra wrote:I took my oldest and her BFF to the 11 am showing on Saturday. Nothing as much fun as the lines at the consession stand on a rainy Saturday the first weekend a big movie opens. :x Anyway, the theatre was packed but we managed to get decent seats and I managed to balance the giant tub of popcorn, 3 sodas and a bag of candy back to the seats without spilling it. (This was actually quite a feat as, the lady who decided to bring her toddler in a stroller into the theatre - more on her later - was blocking the entire aisle, and almost caused me to spill everything. :roll: ) I really liked the movie and thought they did a great job adapting the book. The girls were very upset that Katniss bought the Mockingjay pin, rather that getting it from the mayor's daughter, and I wanted the bread from District 11 to be delivered to Katniss after she honored Rhue. I loved Woody H. as Haymitch. I thought he was perfect for the part. Same with Lenny K. Great! I liked how they showed Seneca Crane and the command/control over the arena. I even kind of felt bad for him in the end. Donald Sutherland was really good as President Snow. I kind of wish Senaca had given him a few pointers on beard maintainence. Ew. That beard was nasty.

The lady who brought her toddler to the movie needs a good swift kick in the ass. I've been a person with little kids and you know what? I didn't bring them to adult movies. I either got a sitter or a friend to stay with the little darlings or I waited and rented it when it came out on DVD. Does it suck to have to pay $$$ to a sitter or wait 3 months? Yes it does, but that's one of the many joys of parenthood. UGH! No one wants to hear your screaming toddler during the movie. :x It's not fair to the kid or to the other people in the theatre.

Question: Am I the only one who didn't like the POV hand held camera stuff? Ugh. I lit'rally felt sick to my stomach during most of the movie. I blame it on the bouncy, super close, fade in and out of focus style of filming. HATE IT. Now, I realize my feeling so sicK could have have been due to: 1. the bouncing camera work; 2. the nutritious lunch I ate of popcorn, diet coke and sour patch kids; 3. the ridiculous amount of pollen in the air that is giving me a constant headache; or 4. all of the above. When I mentioned to my brother that I hated that POV hand held camera feel to the movie, he said "We let's face reality, you aren't really the age demographic they were going for when they made this movie, are you?" Asshole. :lol:

I had issues with the hand-held camera as well. I didn't get there 3 hours early and had to sit in the FRONT row and it was too much for me. I did see it again with Mr. KK on Sunday and we sat further back and it didn't bother me at all that time. I will argue, though, that I felt the camera work was the best way to do it. I would rather have wobbly Katniss camera than voice over. I still can't believe what a good job they did without any voice overs at all.
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:09 pm

JodieO wrote:I think I still need a second viewing to get a better handle on my feelings, but I have to say I came away loving this movie. If any of you know how disappointed I was with the Harry Potter films, then you know that I'm pretty rough on adaptations, but I felt that despite the changes THG really hit the story spot on.

I know a lot of people were upset over the Mockingjay pin and the fact that Madge wasn't there, but it didn't bother me that much. Maybe because I knew beforehand that the character had been cut. Some people were upset because they felt it was important to point out that some people did like Katniss, but since she wasn't nearly as abrasive in the film as she was in the books I don't really feel like that was an issue. The only reason I sort of missed it (and the visit with Peeta's father) was because it showed that even in this depressed shitty place where they lived, there was still a sense of community and caring for each other.

I would have much rather they had left out the riot in District 11 (I always want to say 7 for some reason.. Rue was from 11, right??) and showed them sending Katniss the bread instead. Again, I missed the sense that they actually cared that much about just one more dead girl in these mandatory yearly games that they spent their meager resources to send Katniss a gift. I also feel like the surprise of finding out that Kat's small acts of kindness had begun a rebellion was one of the more exciting parts of Catching Fire. That 'HOLY SHIT' moment.

I would date just about any man with Seneca Crane's beard. I too felt bad for him in the end. There really wasn't a whole lot he could have done except for outright killing one of the more popular Tributes, which doesn't always make for good TV. Just ask Project Runway how much they liked the backlash when an unlikable (and not as talented) designer won over one of the favorites.

I was a little disappointed with the Capital fashions, but at the same time I loved them and wanted to be able to look at them MORE. I wanted less Dr. Suess and more fucked up outlandishness.

If I hadn't been in a movie theater I would have been bawling my eyes out during the Reaping. It wrecked me. WRECKED.

I thought Donald Sutherland did a fantastic job being quietly menacing and calculating, but I wish he didn't look quite so... homeless..

These are all nitpicky things that I have complaints with. My only real complaint is with the chariot costume and Kat's twirly dress. I wanted to be blown away by them and I just wasn't. In the chariot Kat looked like Queen Amedala with some cheap CGI fire, and the red dress just looked like a thrift store prom dress. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE AMAZING, CINNA! AMAZE ME!!

I love Cinna.

I missed the part where Kat has to take off Peeta's pants to clean his wound. She just gets so flustered and embarrassed and I thought it was funny.

I had my doubts about Peanut Peeta, but he proved me wrong. He did a fantastic job.

Haymitch's wig didn't bother me at all, but he did look to be in awfully good shape for dirty old broken down drunk.

I'm sure I have more to say, but work is distracting me. Guess I'll just have to go see it again.. SIIIGH.

I loved the addition of District 11! I liked it setting up the next movie however, I think Katniss can still be surprised that people are rallying around her. Eleven could just finally be responding to how WRONG everything is because Rue was a child and not an almost-adult like everyone else- and full adult in the case of Cato. That's what I felt like the riot was about even though I know it's more than that.
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Kay Kay wrote:
Alexandra wrote:
Question: Am I the only one who didn't like the POV hand held camera stuff? Ugh. I lit'rally felt sick to my stomach during most of the movie. I blame it on the bouncy, super close, fade in and out of focus style of filming. HATE IT. Now, I realize my feeling so sicK could have have been due to: 1. the bouncing camera work; 2. the nutritious lunch I ate of popcorn, diet coke and sour patch kids; 3. the ridiculous amount of pollen in the air that is giving me a constant headache; or 4. all of the above. When I mentioned to my brother that I hated that POV hand held camera feel to the movie, he said "We let's face reality, you aren't really the age demographic they were going for when they made this movie, are you?" Asshole. :lol:

I had issues with the hand-held camera as well. I didn't get there 3 hours early and had to sit in the FRONT row and it was too much for me. I did see it again with Mr. KK on Sunday and we sat further back and it didn't bother me at all that time. I will argue, though, that I felt the camera work was the best way to do it. I would rather have wobbly Katniss camera than voice over. I still can't believe what a good job they did without any voice overs at all.


I have never been a fan of the shaky cam. I don't mind the POV type stuff, but there's no reason why it has to look like it was filmed by a man with a limp and Parkinson's.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16202
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby Kay Kay » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:26 pm

And then there's this:
Image
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby cedvanhalen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Alexandra wrote:My oldest has decided to be Katniss for Halloween this year. Yes, it is March and she's already thinking about her Halloween costume. That's normal, right? I'm posting this in case any of you see a cheap Mockingjay pin in your travels, (cheap = $10ish) please pick it up for me and I'll pay you for it. Thanks.


Hehe! I've decided that's what I'm going to be too! Don't worry, I think this far ahead also. I got my Mockingjay pin with my copy of Mockingjay, so I've got that part down. I just need to find me a bow and arrows.



Also, I finally saw the movie yesterday. I thought it was amazing. I feel like I need to see it a second time to fully evaluate it, but overall I thought it was great. Any doubts I had on the actors they chose were quickly gone. So good.
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
User avatar
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 919
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: MO yo!


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:58 pm

JodieO wrote:
toooldforthis wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:she's a bit more detached than I would like her to be. I know why she is the way she is, but as the story progresses i thought she's grow emotionally, which she really didn't. and it's a MUCH diff't book than Twi, so altho there are some similarities, it's really not fair to compare them. basically: Peeta good, Gale unneccesary, Katniss cold and selfish ;)


So did it make you feel detached from the characters? Did you feel like you couldn't really get as invested in the story as you might have, had she been more relatable?


See, I don't feel that Kat was detatched.. I just felt like she had purposely closed the door on certain emotions due to the conditions in which she was living. When those emotions try to rise back up they scare and confuse her, so she has to crush them back down again. There are certainly parts of the book in which I was screaming "GOD, you are such a stupid
cunt!
" but I didn't want to repeatedly kick her in the face the way I did Bella...


I finally jumped on board and read the first book. I read it over the weekend because I just couldn't put it down. Forgive me if I duplicate a previous conversation. I didn't read the entire thread because I haven't read the last two books yet (I'm borrowing them from my mom and I can't get them until this weekend) and I didn't want to be spoiled - IKR? Me, saving myself. Who would have guessed? :lol:

I have to agree with Jodie on this. I can understand why Katniss is closed off. In her world, dreaming of romance and marriage and children would be very frivolous when you don't know if you're going to be able to even eat today.

My question is, why did the author even feel it necessary to include a romance at all? I was so much more interested in the world and the story, I could have gone without Katniss ever falling in love (assuming she does in the later books). Why not have her become the leader of the rebellion - if that is indeed what happens (I hope)?
I finished the book yesterday and I have no idea who she is going to choose. I really didn't feel any chemistry between her and anybody. She could wind up with Cinna (which would be kind of awesome) and I could see it because I think she had more of a connection with him than anyone else.
User avatar
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4125
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:21 am
Location: Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest