Go to footer

The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby toooldforthis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm about 1/2 way through "Catching Fire".

I just found out that Haymitch won the games where there were twice as many kids. So he beat 47 others.

Why do I get the feeling there is more to Haymitch's story? I feel like maybe there was some shenanigans and trickery involved in Haymitch winning and that's why he refuses to discuss it. Am I just being super suspicious?
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:39 pm

toooldforthis wrote:I'm about 1/2 way through "Catching Fire".

I just found out that Haymitch won the games where there were twice as many kids. So he beat 47 others.

Why do I get the feeling there is more to Haymitch's story? I feel like maybe there was some shenanigans and trickery involved in Haymitch winning and that's why he refuses to discuss it. Am I just being super suspicious?

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:13 pm

JodieO wrote:
toooldforthis wrote:I'm about 1/2 way through "Catching Fire".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh how I've missed the Dark Mark!

Now you've got me wanting to hurry through and find out but I'm trying to slow down and enjoy them!!
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:30 pm

toooldforthis wrote:Oh how I've missed the Dark Mark!

Now you've got me wanting to hurry through and find out but I'm trying to slow down and enjoy them!!

Hee! I'm reading Mark Reads Harry Potter and he keeps asking all kinds of (rhetorical) questions about people and actions and I just want to Dark Mark him all over the place.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Kay Kay » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 pm

JodieO wrote:

Hee! I'm reading Mark Reads Harry Potter and he keeps asking all kinds of (rhetorical) questions about people and actions and I just want to Dark Mark him all over the place.

Haha! I'm dying right now wanting to talk to you about them TOFT! This is soooo me right now! Mustn't. Spoil. Anything. Gah!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Kay Kay wrote:Haha! I'm dying right now wanting to talk to you about them TOFT! This is soooo me right now! Mustn't. Spoil. Anything. Gah!

No! No spoilers! :lol:

I'm actually being good this time. I think I need to go back to my up-all-night reading sessions or I'm going to cave and spoil myself.

My mom admitted that 2 chapters into Mockingjay she flipped to the back to see how it ended. :lol: See, it's genetic!
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:47 pm

JodieO wrote:

I love reading blogs like that. My favorite Twilight blog is Cleolinda's Livejournal. I may or may not have wasted an entire day reading her play-by-play of all four Twilight books. I think she's my favorite because she's like a lot of us: she liked the books (for the most part), she was embarassed by that fact, and she wasn't afraid to make fun of the ridiculousness of Twilight.

My second favorite is Dan Bergstein from Sparknotes. He did an excellent Twilight recap.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Kay Kay » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:16 pm

toooldforthis wrote:
JodieO wrote:

I love reading blogs like that. My favorite Twilight blog is Cleolinda's Livejournal. I may or may not have wasted an entire day reading her play-by-play of all four Twilight books. I think she's my favorite because she's like a lot of us: she liked the books (for the most part), she was embarassed by that fact, and she wasn't afraid to make fun of the ridiculousness of Twilight.

My second favorite is Dan Bergstein from Sparknotes. He did an excellent Twilight recap.

Oh my god I love Dan! Hahaha! I highly recommend reading Mark as you go. He's SO insightful and because he hasn't read it before, he doesn't spoil at all. Plus, it's fun to have a reading buddy, ya know?
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Kay Kay wrote:Oh my god I love Dan! Hahaha! I highly recommend reading Mark as you go. He's SO insightful and because he hasn't read it before, he doesn't spoil at all. Plus, it's fun to have a reading buddy, ya know?

Dan was hilarious, despite the fact that he was Team Jacob. ;)
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Kay Kay » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:20 pm

toooldforthis wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:Oh my god I love Dan! Hahaha! I highly recommend reading Mark as you go. He's SO insightful and because he hasn't read it before, he doesn't spoil at all. Plus, it's fun to have a reading buddy, ya know?

Dan was hilarious, despite the fact that he was Team Jacob. ;)

Dan DID give up on Jacob after a while. I think he walked away only liking Emmett and Conner (Is there a Conner?) . :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:15 am

I'm almost finished with "Catching Fire" and it's so good!!!

Haymitch: I was kind of surprised at his victory story. I'm not sure what I was expecting. I guess I was thinking that there was some sort of cheating involved, or that maybe we were going to find out that the Capitol fixed the game so that he would win. (Although I have no idea why they would do that. I was just expecting some weird twist.)

I think I'm jumping on the Peeta train. I was really liking Gale in the first book (and I do still like him) but I love Peeta's selflessness - even when it comes to Gale. (Although I'm sure it's easier to be gracious when you know that you have the best chance of winding up with the girl because the Capitol is forcing her to be with you. :? )
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Ok, just finished.

Wow. I think I liked this book better than the first.

I'm definitely a Peeta fan now.

And I'm so glad I waited to read these books because I can't imagine waiting a year to find out what happens. I have to go pick up my kids and then I'm diving into the next one (so much for taking my time :lol: ).
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:15 pm

I just finished Mockingjay.
I'm trying to gather my thoughts before I post, otherwise it will just be a rambling mess (ya' know, how I usually am ;) )

At first I was like this:

And now I'm like this:

toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Kay Kay » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:58 pm

toooldforthis wrote:I just finished Mockingjay.
I'm trying to gather my thoughts before I post, otherwise it will just be a rambling mess (ya' know, how I usually am ;) )

At first I was like this:

And now I'm like this:

The summary ending was a little irritating. But I'm happy with how it ended. Can't wait to hear what you think! Now....MARK READS!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 am

Kay Kay wrote:The summary ending was a little irritating. But I'm happy with how it ended. Can't wait to hear what you think! Now....MARK READS!

Okay. Here goes. Warning: Unpopular opinion forthcoming. :lol:

When I finished reading it, I had a very unsatisfied feeling. Quite similar to what I felt after reading BD. And I had to think about why it left me dissatisfied.

I really didn't like Katniss in this book. I liked her just fine in the first two, but this last one she was different. Peeta was my favorite character and the fact that he was absent for the first half of the book didn't help. And it made matters even worse that when he returned, he wasn't himself.

I was disappointed that Katniss gave up on Peeta so easily. She actually got angry with him........for what? Being tortured beyond sanity? If I remember correctly, he warned District 13 that they were about to be bombed (which saved Prim and Gale's lives, btw). He did this knowing he was going to be severly beaten for it. And when he's finally rescued, how is he repaid? Katniss gets angry and leaves to go to another district where she promptly makes out with Gale because "it feels good". Never mind that Peeta has always protected her in the past. I'm sure if the situation was reversed, Peeta would have stuck around and taken whatever anger she spewed at him as he tried to get her to come back to herself. But not Katniss. She runs away.

And I thought a lot of the deaths in the end were just put in there for shock value. Like the author just said, "Hey, let's pretty much kill everyone Katniss loves and see how miserable we can make her." The resolution with Gale (or should I say non-resolution) was empty considering how close they had been. I couldn't buy that her mother didn't even visit her in the hospital. Haymitch just goes back to being an alcoholic. Katniss spills her emotional anguish to a cat. That scene was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. When she finally broke down about Prim's death, I really expected Peeta to walk in and comfort her. There really needed to be more emotional bonding between these two if I was going to buy into their relationship. We didn't get anything between them for the entire book. Just one paragraph at the very end.

I'm okay with endings that aren't "happily ever after". I've railed against BD for this very reason. It was too happy and perfect for Bella. But on the flip side, I don't want to read an ending that's so devoid of hope and happiness. I wanted Katniss to see the hope she had given to the people of Panem. She helped overthrow an evil government. There will no longer be starvation, torture, or hunger games. Future generations will have better lives because of what she did. Of course I didn't expect her to be all happy and joyous after what she went through. Of course she would be forever damaged. But people can go through horrible things and still find peace with themselves. I wanted the author to show that side of it.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:33 pm

quote="toooldforthis"]
Kay Kay wrote:The summary ending was a little irritating. But I'm happy with how it ended. Can't wait to hear what you think! Now....MARK READS!

Okay. Here goes. Warning: Unpopular opinion forthcoming. :lol:

When I finished reading it, I had a very unsatisfied feeling. Quite similar to what I felt after reading BD. And I had to think about why it left me dissatisfied.

I really didn't like Katniss in this book. I liked her just fine in the first two, but this last one she was different. Peeta was my favorite character and the fact that he was absent for the first half of the book didn't help. And it made matters even worse that when he returned, he wasn't himself.
I know! Peeta broke my heart because he was the only truly good character in the series. I think that's what made it so tragic. I think he was also the only character who could come back from something like that.

I was disappointed that Katniss gave up on Peeta so easily. She actually got angry with him........for what? Being tortured beyond sanity? If I remember correctly, he warned District 13 that they were about to be bombed (which saved Prim and Gale's lives, btw). He did this knowing he was going to be severly beaten for it. And when he's finally rescued, how is he repaid? Katniss gets angry and leaves to go to another district where she promptly makes out with Gale because "it feels good". Never mind that Peeta has always protected her in the past. I'm sure if the situation was reversed, Peeta would have stuck around and taken whatever anger she spewed at him as he tried to get her to come back to herself. But not Katniss. She runs away.
And Haymitch says the exact same thing to her and she's ashamed of herself. She knows Peeta would have worked with her every day to get her back. *sob* I hated her in this section too, she's cruel and unfair. But we've seen that Katniss isn't fair to people that she thinks abandoned her- her mother. It doesn't make it right, but at least she's consistent.

And I thought a lot of the deaths in the end were just put in there for shock value. Like the author just said, "Hey, let's pretty much kill everyone Katniss loves and see how miserable we can make her." The resolution with Gale (or should I say non-resolution) was empty considering how close they had been. I couldn't buy that her mother didn't even visit her in the hospital. Haymitch just goes back to being an alcoholic. Katniss spills her emotional anguish to a cat. That scene was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
Really? I thought that was one of the saddest scenes. Katniss grieving with the cat because they're the two who loved her most.
When she finally broke down about Prim's death, I really expected Peeta to walk in and comfort her. There really needed to be more emotional bonding between these two if I was going to buy into their relationship. We didn't get anything between them for the entire book. Just one paragraph at the very end.
Ugh the summary! I wanted to see them together again too. There is a FF by Spanglemaker that fills that part in, but I was pretty angry with the author for skimming over something so important. Don't even get me started on her ignoring Katniss' trial! I get that Katniss is so broken at this point, but a lot of the book IS political. I think the Rebel's mascot killing the President made for an amazin trial. How to not condemn the mascot without condeming the leader. They HAD to keep Coin in a positive light to keep the revolution in a positive light. It was very Harvey Dent, ya know? God, I'm mad all over again that we didn't get to see that.

I'm okay with endings that aren't "happily ever after". I've railed against BD for this very reason. It was too happy and perfect for Bella. But on the flip side, I don't want to read an ending that's so devoid of hope and happiness. I wanted Katniss to see the hope she had given to the people of Panem. She helped overthrow an evil government. There will no longer be starvation, torture, or hunger games. Future generations will have better lives because of what she did. Of course I didn't expect her to be all happy and joyous after what she went through. Of course she would be forever damaged. But people can go through horrible things and still find peace with themselves. I wanted the author to show that side of it.
Ehhh but Katniss was ever only really worried about her small world. Yes, she didn't want to be under the Capitol anymore, but if Snow hadn't constantly been hunting her, if she hadn't been forced into her role just by being admired, she would have just accepted life as is. Gale was the revolutionary, she wasn't. Yes, she changed the country for the better but I liked that the ending was about HER peace. I felt that we got that. She has Peeta- who she finally CHOSE, which not being able to choose who she was what was really what she was fighting the whole time, not Peeta himself- and her children that she never thought she could have. Gale was a bit of a loose end, but she knew she couldn't look at him again, and Gale knew he couldn't be the one to comfort her with his part in Prim's death. It was a happy ending while acknowledging that war CAN be for the better, but war always leave destruction. I loved it, once I got over not seeing a smooshy Katniss/Peeta reunion.
*Sigh* The second one is still my favorite because of this mug:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 pm

[quote="Kay Kay"]quote="toooldforthis"]
And I thought a lot of the deaths in the end were just put in there for shock value. Like the author just said, "Hey, let's pretty much kill everyone Katniss loves and see how miserable we can make her." The resolution with Gale (or should I say non-resolution) was empty considering how close they had been. I couldn't buy that her mother didn't even visit her in the hospital. Haymitch just goes back to being an alcoholic. Katniss spills her emotional anguish to a cat. That scene was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
Really? I thought that was one of the saddest scenes. Katniss grieving with the cat because they're the two who loved her most.

I'm really not heartless. I love my cat. But I hated, hated, hated that scene. Because at that point Peeta was back in District 12. He was living next door to her and I wanted him to comfort her. I kept turning pages expecting Peeta to make an appearance for the last 10 pages and he didn't. All we got was Katniss hunting by herself, Katniss staring at the fireplace by herself, Katniss doing nothing....by herself. This was my second least favorite part of the book, following Katniss leaving Peeta broken after his torture. I expected more Peeta/Katniss comforting each other. I guess I just wanted more Peeta. :( He was gone for half the book and when he came back it wasn't really him. I missed him. And Katniss became a character I could barely tolerate. It's too bad because the first two books were good - the second being my favorite.

ETA: I guess I expected more of these two together, even if it didn't turn romantic I would have been okay with that. But they had been to 2 Hunger Games and they knew better than anyone else the horrors and the fear that was involved with being a part of that. Peeta lost his entire family, Katniss lost her sister. Peeta was tortured. I thought she would turn to him because he would understand her better than anyone - including the cat.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm

toooldforthis wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:quote="toooldforthis"]

I'm really not heartless. I love my cat. But I hated, hated, hated that scene. Because at that point Peeta was back in District 12. He was living next door to her and I wanted him to comfort her. I kept turning pages expecting Peeta to make an appearance for the last 10 pages and he didn't. All we got was Katniss hunting by herself, Katniss staring at the fireplace by herself, Katniss doing nothing....by herself. This was my second least favorite part of the book, following Katniss leaving Peeta broken after his torture. I expected more Peeta/Katniss comforting each other. I guess I just wanted more Peeta. :( He was gone for half the book and when he came back it wasn't really him. I missed him. And Katniss became a character I could barely tolerate. It's too bad because the first two books were good - the second being my favorite.

ETA: I guess I expected more of these two together, even if it didn't turn romantic I would have been okay with that. But they had been to 2 Hunger Games and they knew better than anyone else the horrors and the fear that was involved with being a part of that. Peeta lost his entire family, Katniss lost her sister. Peeta was tortured. I thought she would turn to him because he would understand her better than anyone - including the cat.

Me too. I hope it's something they add to the movie. But until then, I literally found this right now on ADF and I'm stealing it. I haven't read any except the Spanglemaker one, they could be total garbage. :roll: Jodie, avert your eyes.

The Unrecorded Hours by hollycomb - Katniss and Peeta in the weeks and months after the war.
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 1 - Words: 24,185 - Reviews: 223 - Published: 1-16-11 - Peeta M. & Katniss E. - Complete

Grow Together
Pre-epilogue Mockingjay. How Katniss and Peeta slowly pick up the pieces and begin again. My version of a fourth book for the Hunger Games series. Secret toastings, lots of plotting, crass drunk Haymitch and even a cake scene.
Hunger Games - Rated: T - English - Romance/Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 23 - Words: 95,190 - Reviews: 1084 - Updated: 3-11-12 - Published: 12-13-10 - Katniss E. & Peeta M. - Complete

After by MasenVixen - The last page of Mockingjay left me wanting more. This is my version of how it happened...
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 1 - Words: 5,175 - Reviews: 106 - Published: 9-12-10 - Katniss E.

Cinna by gkkstitch - A series of small drabbles and vignettes about Cinna, the stylist, covering "The Hunger Games" and "Catching Fire." NOW COMPLETE
Hunger Games - Rated: T - English - Chapters: 21 - Words: 33,940 - Reviews: 311 - Updated: 12-21-10 - Published: 8-30-10 - Cinna - Complete

Falling Forward by KateToast - It goes slowly. If it didn't, I would fall back into my nightmares and my grief and never come out again, no matter who tried to coax or demand or plead. After months of darkness, sunlight peeks through. Katniss starts over. Pre-epilogue.
Hunger Games - Rated: T - English - Chapters: 5 - Words: 7,673 - Reviews: 36 - Updated: 7-13-11 - Published: 6-20-11 - Katniss E. & Peeta M. - Complete

Five Words Peeta Only Says at Night by aimmyarrowshigh - Their first time was everything that one would think a first sexual encounter between a virginal baker and his huntress would be:
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Romance/Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 1 - Words: 1,402 - Reviews: 113 - Published: 2-2-11 - Peeta M. & Katniss E. - Complete

Peeta Mellark's Five Favorite Things to Bake by aimmyarrowshigh - Peeta Mellark is ninety-six years old and the most beloved person in the Coal Estate, which was once – a long time ago, now – known as District 12.
Hunger Games - Rated: T - English - Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 1 - Words: 2,395 - Reviews: 64 - Published: 1-31-11 - Peeta M. - Complete

The End is the Beginning by spanglemaker9 - Post-Mockingjay/ pre-epilogue. An expansion of Katniss and Peeta rediscovering each other.
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Romance - Chapters: 1 - Words: 5,067 - Reviews: 270 - Published: 9-6-10 - Katniss E. & Peeta M. - Complete

The Next Chapter by Ellipses - After returning to District 12, how on earth did two broken souls end up finding their way back to each other? Expanded Mockingjay chapter 27 K/P, 3-part.
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Angst/Romance - Chapters: 3 - Words: 9,979 - Reviews: 57 - Updated: 3-27-12 - Published: 3-21-12 - Katniss E. & Peeta M. - Complete

WIP:

Skin by InconstantSea - The uprising may be over, but the repercussions—the aftershocks of grief—are far from faded. The final chapter of Mockingjay in Peeta's POV. Rated M for language and sexual situations.
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Hurt/Comfort/Romance - Chapters: 8 - Words: 12,212 - Reviews: 117 - Updated: 4-16-12 - Published: 3-10-12 - Peeta M. & Katniss E.

Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Kay Kay wrote:Me too. I hope it's something they add to the movie. But until then, I literally found this right now on ADF and I'm stealing it. I haven't read any except the Spanglemaker one, they could be total garbage. :roll: Jodie, avert your eyes.

The Unrecorded Hours by hollycomb - Katniss and Peeta in the weeks and months after the war.
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 1 - Words: 24,185 - Reviews: 223 - Published: 1-16-11 - Peeta M. & Katniss E. - Complete

Grow Together
Pre-epilogue Mockingjay. How Katniss and Peeta slowly pick up the pieces and begin again. My version of a fourth book for the Hunger Games series. Secret toastings, lots of plotting, crass drunk Haymitch and even a cake scene.
Hunger Games - Rated: T - English - Romance/Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 23 - Words: 95,190 - Reviews: 1084 - Updated: 3-11-12 - Published: 12-13-10 - Katniss E. & Peeta M. - Complete

After by MasenVixen - The last page of Mockingjay left me wanting more. This is my version of how it happened...
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 1 - Words: 5,175 - Reviews: 106 - Published: 9-12-10 - Katniss E.

Cinna by gkkstitch - A series of small drabbles and vignettes about Cinna, the stylist, covering "The Hunger Games" and "Catching Fire." NOW COMPLETE
Hunger Games - Rated: T - English - Chapters: 21 - Words: 33,940 - Reviews: 311 - Updated: 12-21-10 - Published: 8-30-10 - Cinna - Complete

Falling Forward by KateToast - It goes slowly. If it didn't, I would fall back into my nightmares and my grief and never come out again, no matter who tried to coax or demand or plead. After months of darkness, sunlight peeks through. Katniss starts over. Pre-epilogue.
Hunger Games - Rated: T - English - Chapters: 5 - Words: 7,673 - Reviews: 36 - Updated: 7-13-11 - Published: 6-20-11 - Katniss E. & Peeta M. - Complete

Five Words Peeta Only Says at Night by aimmyarrowshigh - Their first time was everything that one would think a first sexual encounter between a virginal baker and his huntress would be:
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Romance/Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 1 - Words: 1,402 - Reviews: 113 - Published: 2-2-11 - Peeta M. & Katniss E. - Complete

Peeta Mellark's Five Favorite Things to Bake by aimmyarrowshigh - Peeta Mellark is ninety-six years old and the most beloved person in the Coal Estate, which was once – a long time ago, now – known as District 12.
Hunger Games - Rated: T - English - Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 1 - Words: 2,395 - Reviews: 64 - Published: 1-31-11 - Peeta M. - Complete

The End is the Beginning by spanglemaker9 - Post-Mockingjay/ pre-epilogue. An expansion of Katniss and Peeta rediscovering each other.
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Romance - Chapters: 1 - Words: 5,067 - Reviews: 270 - Published: 9-6-10 - Katniss E. & Peeta M. - Complete

The Next Chapter by Ellipses - After returning to District 12, how on earth did two broken souls end up finding their way back to each other? Expanded Mockingjay chapter 27 K/P, 3-part.
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Angst/Romance - Chapters: 3 - Words: 9,979 - Reviews: 57 - Updated: 3-27-12 - Published: 3-21-12 - Katniss E. & Peeta M. - Complete

WIP:

Skin by InconstantSea - The uprising may be over, but the repercussions—the aftershocks of grief—are far from faded. The final chapter of Mockingjay in Peeta's POV. Rated M for language and sexual situations.
Hunger Games - Rated: M - English - Hurt/Comfort/Romance - Chapters: 8 - Words: 12,212 - Reviews: 117 - Updated: 4-16-12 - Published: 3-10-12 - Peeta M. & Katniss E.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I actually recognize that author from Twi fanfic. :lol: :oops: (She's supposed to be good.)

Thanks for the list! I was asking our resident fanfic expert, Kelbel, if she had any recommendations for HG fic but she said she hadn't gotten into HG fanfic yet.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am

I have a question.

Why was Katniss considered so unlikable (by the other characters) in the first two books?

Granted, I didn't like her for most of Mockingjay, but I liked her just fine during the first two.

For instance, I've never understood why Haymitch disliked her so much, yet he absolutely adored Peeta. Did I read the first book too fast? Did I miss some valuable piece of information? I am assuming that up until the point that they were chosen at the Reaping, Haymitch had never met either of one them before. Why such animosity towards Katniss?
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:34 pm

toooldforthis wrote:I have a question.

Why was Katniss considered so unlikable (by the other characters) in the first two books?

Granted, I didn't like her for most of Mockingjay, but I liked her just fine during the first two.

For instance, I've never understood why Haymitch disliked her so much, yet he absolutely adored Peeta. Did I read the first book too fast? Did I miss some valuable piece of information? I am assuming that up until the point that they were chosen at the Reaping, Haymitch had never met either of one them before. Why such animosity towards Katniss?

Katniss was pretty bristly. Much like Haymich himself. Sometimes it's hard to get along with yourself. ;) But seriously, she's so shut down she is kind of abrasive to some people even if deep down she has a good heart.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I finally saw the movie :D and I really LIKED it :o :lol: seriously, I did like it so much better than the book. it had a point 8-) which was that no man ( or woman ) is an island ;) katniss couldn't do it all on her own, she needed other people, wether it was for purely selfish reasons or not. altho jennifer did a great job in her portrayl, I think physically she was too baby-faced for the part. she needed to look more gritty and weathered. quite frankly, I think that KStew would have been very good in this role :) I LOVED haymich. everyone grumbled when he was cast, but I knew he would be able to pull it off just fine. I was always a team peeta, and I definitely still am too 8-) I cried at the reaping, and when rue died :( altho I didn't actually know that song that katniss sings, it's so much like the songs I grew up hearing that it made me miss home; they're all about hardship and death :roll: I liked the way the capital looked too. it had a very "wizard of oz" feel to it :P I can safely say that there is nothing about the movie that I didn't like. I didn't picture the cornicopia looking that way, but it was more realistic in the movie than it was in my imagination ;) I'm HOPING that the last movie will be one of those instances where they change something for the better, not that they change the actual ending, but more that they put positive feelings into it :| wow, that review was all over the place, wasn't it? :lol:
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 pm

after rereading all of your reviews I'll add that I LOVED seneca crane; he was awesome 8-) and I really liked the view into the command center. and this is directed at MarkReads: there are so few people of color in district 12 because that's how it really is. I come from a very tiny coal-mining town. there are about 800 people who live in and around the town. there are 2 people of color who live there, which is two more than there were when I was a child ;)
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:13 pm

I just saw on the back of my old issue of Entertainment Weekly that Philip Seymour Hoffman is going to play Plutarch Heavansbee. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS!? Did I know this and forget!?

While I am a little :? on the casting of Jenna Malone as Johanna I have to admit that the rest of their casting is so awesome that I'm just going to trust them. Amanda Plummer? Tony Shaloub? Amazeballs. I SAID AMAZEBALLS!

This is the current casting news per imdb.com:

Jennifer Lawrence ... Katniss Everdeen

Sam Claflin ... Finnick Odair

Jena Malone ... Johanna Mason

Josh Hutcherson ... Peeta Mellark

Liam Hemsworth ... Gale Hawthorne

Elizabeth Banks ... Effie Trinket

Woody Harrelson ... Haymitch Abernathy

Philip Seymour Hoffman ... Plutarch Heavensbee

Tony Shalhoub ... Beetee (rumored)

Amanda Plummer ... Wiress

Stanley Tucci ... Caeser Flickerman