Go to footer

The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby loving40s » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:02 pm

DAMN IT! I missed the Jodie/Kelbel HG debate!!! I would have been in there with you two but I was at yoga and grocery store. Well, in a nutshell, I'm with you, Jodie. I pretty much agreed with every single one of your comments. Sorry, Kelbel! LOL! :lol: I mean, I get where you're coming from, but I just didn't have that reaction to Katniss.

How old is your son who is reading HG? My 13 yo has read the first two. I guess it depends on the kid and their maturity level. It is some heavy, grave stuff, but its not too graphic so I'm fine with my son reading it.

I'm an idiot because I alwasy click on BB's craycray spoilers and they alwasy 'eeek' me out. Really....it freaks me out that some people think some of those things. I can only imagine how much Rob and Kristen would be freaked out if they saw some of this stuff.

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement about the job loss. Now back to applying for jobs!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rob, I'd like to show you why 40's are fabulous!
User avatar
loving40s
Dick & Clare's Neighbor
 
Posts: 6956
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 pm
Location: Glendale, AZ


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Alright, I'm late to the party but I'm jumping into the HG discussion Spoiler box!

First of all, its completely natural for Katniss to be hard to relate to- how could you???? Odds are, you've never been starving and forced to raise your whole family at a young age (actually, that's why I loved reading Mark Reads the Hunger Games, he was able to give me insight to that part of the story that was beyond my experiences). In addition, you can't apply ANY of our conventions to how Katniss is. Let's start with her being emotionally cold. Jodie was right that Katniss did NOT see love in her future. She didn't want to be a mother and have to worry about her children in the reaping. In addition, all Katniss has seen of love is from her parents, and her father's death destroyed her mother. A mother that Katniss has zero respect for. So even before Peeta comes into the story, we know that Katniss has love on the very bottom of her priority list- Gale is the closest she has to romantic love, and she's just too young to know what to do with it anyway.
Next, enter Peeta. You have to remember that although WE love Peeta, Katniss doesn't trust him at ALL. Don't forget that there is a huge class divide even within District 12. Peeta is other- he has a much better perceived life according to Katniss. She partially resents him even though Gale is more vocal about disliking the slightly wealthier/better fed. Even when it's clear to us that Peeta's feelings are genuine, she only sees his own means of survival- using her just as she is using him. There's no room for love.
Next, Katniss is FORCED to be with Peeta. Even if he is great and wonderful, it was the ONE decision she thought she could make for herself. Wouldn't you be a little resistant too if the man you hate picked your future husband? Especially when your best friend has suddenly started showing interest in you? Wouldn't you want the choice??
Then in the next books- Katniss is flat out suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. I read some reviews that applauded the author for handling PTSD really well- I think one review was the wife of a retired military guy and she saw a lot of the symptoms that Katniss displays when he got home- especially in book three. I would give Katniss a little more leeway when talking about her emotional growth- she's damaged. Severely. I think its most clear how far her and Peeta have come in the Epi- she has everything she wants and is trying to think of way to tell her kids her story- and how they still struggle years later.
I LOVED these books. Maybe there is no great message like in HP (love and friendship will get you through). It just the extremes of humanity- the most selfish, hateful, vicious, oblivious, callous, power hungry, and violent. It would be boring, I think, if Katniss were perfectly selfless and pure (that's Peeta's role in the story- which is why is hijacking is so shocking) but she tries. She struggles to stay retain her humanity amidst everything and I think it's incredibly powerful.

*phew*
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby loving40s » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Kay Kay wrote:Alright, I'm late to the party but I'm jumping into the HG discussion Spoiler box!

First of all, its completely natural for Katniss to be hard to relate to- how could you???? Odds are, you've never been starving and forced to raise your whole family at a young age (actually, that's why I loved reading Mark Reads the Hunger Games, he was able to give me insight to that part of the story that was beyond my experiences). In addition, you can't apply ANY of our conventions to how Katniss is. Let's start with her being emotionally cold. Jodie was right that Katniss did NOT see love in her future. She didn't want to be a mother and have to worry about her children in the reaping. In addition, all Katniss has seen of love is from her parents, and her father's death destroyed her mother. A mother that Katniss has zero respect for. So even before Peeta comes into the story, we know that Katniss has love on the very bottom of her priority list- Gale is the closest she has to romantic love, and she's just too young to know what to do with it anyway.
Next, enter Peeta. You have to remember that although WE love Peeta, Katniss doesn't trust him at ALL. Don't forget that there is a huge class divide even within District 12. Peeta is other- he has a much better perceived life according to Katniss. She partially resents him even though Gale is more vocal about disliking the slightly wealthier/better fed. Even when it's clear to us that Peeta's feelings are genuine, she only sees his own means of survival- using her just as she is using him. There's no room for love.
Next, Katniss is FORCED to be with Peeta. Even if he is great and wonderful, it was the ONE decision she thought she could make for herself. Wouldn't you be a little resistant too if the man you hate picked your future husband? Especially when your best friend has suddenly started showing interest in you? Wouldn't you want the choice??
Then in the next books- Katniss is flat out suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. I read some reviews that applauded the author for handling PTSD really well- I think one review was the wife of a retired military guy and she saw a lot of the symptoms that Katniss displays when he got home- especially in book three. I would give Katniss a little more leeway when talking about her emotional growth- she's damaged. Severely. I think its most clear how far her and Peeta have come in the Epi- she has everything she wants and is trying to think of way to tell her kids her story- and how they still struggle years later.
I LOVED these books. Maybe there is no great message like in HP (love and friendship will get you through). It just the extremes of humanity- the most selfish, hateful, vicious, oblivious, callous, power hungry, and violent. It would be boring, I think, if Katniss were perfectly selfless and pure (that's Peeta's role in the story- which is why is hijacking is so shocking) but she tries. She struggles to stay retain her humanity amidst everything and I think it's incredibly powerful.

*phew*


Very nicely articulated, KK! I agree 110% with your expositional statements. I LOVED these books.
Last edited by loving40s on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rob, I'd like to show you why 40's are fabulous!
User avatar
loving40s
Dick & Clare's Neighbor
 
Posts: 6956
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 pm
Location: Glendale, AZ


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:27 pm

loving40s wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:Alright, I'm late to the party but I'm jumping into the HG discussion Spoiler box!

First of all, its completely natural for Katniss to be hard to relate to- how could you???? Odds are, you've never been starving and forced to raise your whole family at a young age (actually, that's why I loved reading Mark Reads the Hunger Games, he was able to give me insight to that part of the story that was beyond my experiences). In addition, you can't apply ANY of our conventions to how Katniss is. Let's start with her being emotionally cold. Jodie was right that Katniss did NOT see love in her future. She didn't want to be a mother and have to worry about her children in the reaping. In addition, all Katniss has seen of love is from her parents, and her father's death destroyed her mother. A mother that Katniss has zero respect for. So even before Peeta comes into the story, we know that Katniss has love on the very bottom of her priority list- Gale is the closest she has to romantic love, and she's just too young to know what to do with it anyway.
Next, enter Peeta. You have to remember that although WE love Peeta, Katniss doesn't trust him at ALL. Don't forget that there is a huge class divide even within District 12. Peeta is other- he has a much better perceived life according to Katniss. She partially resents him even though Gale is more vocal about disliking the slightly wealthier/better fed. Even when it's clear to us that Peeta's feelings are genuine, she only sees his own means of survival- using her just as she is using him. There's no room for love.
Next, Katniss is FORCED to be with Peeta. Even if he is great and wonderful, it was the ONE decision she thought she could make for herself. Wouldn't you be a little resistant too if the man you hate picked your future husband? Especially when your best friend has suddenly started showing interest in you? Wouldn't you want the choice??
Then in the next books- Katniss is flat out suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. I read some reviews that applauded the author for handling PTSD really well- I think one review was the wife of a retired military guy and she saw a lot of the symptoms that Katniss displays when he got home- especially in book three. I would give Katniss a little more leeway when talking about her emotional growth- she's damaged. Severely. I think its most clear how far her and Peeta have come in the Epi- she has everything she wants and is trying to think of way to tell her kids her story- and how they still struggle years later.
I LOVED these books. Maybe there is no great message like in HP (love and friendship will get you through). It just the extremes of humanity- the most selfish, hateful, vicious, oblivious, callous, power hungry, and violent. It would be boring, I think, if Katniss were perfectly selfless and pure (that's Peeta's role in the story- which is why is hijacking is so shocking) but she tries. She struggles to stay retain her humanity amidst everything and I think it's incredibly powerful.

*phew*


Very nicely articulared, KK! I agree 110% with your expositional statements. I LOVED these books.

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you! :D :D :D
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby JodieO » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:27 pm

Kay Kay wrote:Next, Katniss is FORCED to be with Peeta. Even if he is great and wonderful, it was the ONE decision she thought she could make for herself. Wouldn't you be a little resistant too if the man you hate picked your future husband? Especially when your best friend has suddenly started showing interest in you? Wouldn't you want the choice??
Then in the next books- Katniss is flat out suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. I read some reviews that applauded the author for handling PTSD really well- I think one review was the wife of a retired military guy and she saw a lot of the symptoms that Katniss displays when he got home- especially in book three. I would give Katniss a little more leeway when talking about her emotional growth- she's damaged. Severely. I think its most clear how far her and Peeta have come in the Epi- she has everything she wants and is trying to think of way to tell her kids her story- and how they still struggle years later.
I LOVED these books. Maybe there is no great message like in HP (love and friendship will get you through). It just the extremes of humanity- the most selfish, hateful, vicious, oblivious, callous, power hungry, and violent. It would be boring, I think, if Katniss were perfectly selfless and pure (that's Peeta's role in the story- which is why is hijacking is so shocking) but she tries. She struggles to stay retain her humanity amidst everything and I think it's incredibly powerful.
[/spoiler]


Those two things didn't even occur to me when I was presenting my argument to kelbel! Good job, KK!

I have to disagree about Kat hating Peeta, though. I don't think she did. After all, he was the boy with the bread and no matter what happened she was always going to be grateful that he saved her family from starvation and gave her the will to keep going. But you are right that she wanted to make the choice herself, she was young, and all that other stuff.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16218
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:37 pm

JodieO wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:
Next, Katniss is FORCED to be with Peeta. Even if he is great and wonderful, it was the ONE decision she thought she could make for herself. Wouldn't you be a little resistant too if the man you hate picked your future husband? Especially when your best friend has suddenly started showing interest in you? Wouldn't you want the choice??
Then in the next books- Katniss is flat out suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. I read some reviews that applauded the author for handling PTSD really well- I think one review was the wife of a retired military guy and she saw a lot of the symptoms that Katniss displays when he got home- especially in book three. I would give Katniss a little more leeway when talking about her emotional growth- she's damaged. Severely. I think its most clear how far her and Peeta have come in the Epi- she has everything she wants and is trying to think of way to tell her kids her story- and how they still struggle years later.
I LOVED these books. Maybe there is no great message like in HP (love and friendship will get you through). It just the extremes of humanity- the most selfish, hateful, vicious, oblivious, callous, power hungry, and violent. It would be boring, I think, if Katniss were perfectly selfless and pure (that's Peeta's role in the story- which is why is hijacking is so shocking) but she tries. She struggles to stay retain her humanity amidst everything and I think it's incredibly powerful.


Those two things didn't even occur to me when I was presenting my argument to kelbel! Good job, KK!

I have to disagree about Kat hating Peeta, though. I don't think she did. After all, he was the boy with the bread and no matter what happened she was always going to be grateful that he saved her family from starvation and gave her the will to keep going. But you are right that she wanted to make the choice herself, she was young, and all that other stuff.

No, I don't think she hated him either- she just didn't trust him. She especially didn't trust him because she felt she owed him something. So the whole "Ive loved you since I was 5" were just words to her. (although for ME, I gasped and clapped and said KISS HER!") Lol! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby JodieO » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Kay Kay wrote:
No, I don't think she hated him either- she just didn't trust him. She especially didn't trust him because she felt she owed him something. So the whole "Ive loved you since I was 5" were just words to her. (although for ME, I gasped and clapped and said KISS HER!") Lol! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


Tee hee!
And also because in all her life there were only two people she could have trusted and counted on and one of them is dead and the other is a little girl.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16218
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:55 pm

JodieO wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:
No, I don't think she hated him either- she just didn't trust him. She especially didn't trust him because she felt she owed him something. So the whole "Ive loved you since I was 5" were just words to her. (although for ME, I gasped and clapped and said KISS HER!") Lol! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


Tee hee!
And also because in all her life there were only two people she could have trusted and counted on and one of them is dead and the other is a little girl.


God. This book is horrible. Despite my rant, I still feel twisted for loving it so much. But then I think, Harry went through a lot of horrible shit too and everyone loves those books without feeling terrible. ;) ;) ;) ;)
User avatar
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: California


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby JodieO » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Kay Kay wrote:
JodieO wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:
No, I don't think she hated him either- she just didn't trust him. She especially didn't trust him because she felt she owed him something. So the whole "Ive loved you since I was 5" were just words to her. (although for ME, I gasped and clapped and said KISS HER!") Lol! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


Tee hee!
And also because in all her life there were only two people she could have trusted and counted on and one of them is dead and the other is a little girl.


God. This book is horrible. Despite my rant, I still feel twisted for loving it so much. But then I think, Harry went through a lot of horrible shit too and everyone loves those books without feeling terrible. ;) ;) ;) ;)


Well, Katniss, like Harry, had to overcome a horrible situation into which she was born. One of the reasons I've always been a bit confused about why HG isn't compared to HP instead of Twi.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16218
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby mandaliz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:43 pm

kelbel75 wrote:oh hey, I finished the "Hunger Games" series this weekend. I liked the first, was okay with the second, but hated the third :roll: more importantly tho, my 11yr.old son is reading the first one for a school reading requirement :shock: I'm really not that comfortable with this. am I just being over-protective? :|


I think he might be a tad young for it but different kids respond differently to different things. (How vague and unhelpful cn I make that sentence.? Also How often can I say "different"... :roll: ) As a general rule of thumb, in children's & YA books the age of the main character is the approximate age of it's intended audience. So if the main character is 16, then it's meant for teens. Are BIG readers (my mom is the Director for the Virginia Center for the Book and puts on the Virginia Book Festival every year for goodness sake) so I personally was never censored in my reading but if there was a book I wanted to read that had controversial topics such as sex or death or whatever my parents made sure they were there to answer any questions I had about the subject. I guess that's what I would suggest you do. You could also talk to the teacher about your concerns and get feedback on why she assigned it. If you know how he/she will approach the topics you may feel more comfortable with your son reading it.
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby mandaliz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:01 pm

kelbel75 wrote: you need to change the world in order to make it safe for your future children, not decide to just not have them; in this ( and many other) respect I think Katniss was a coward.[/color]


I don't think she was a coward
because she didn't want to have babies. She worked to bring down a corrupt and inhumane government. That was her contribution to changing the world to make it safe for those who choose to have children. I don't think she was a coward because she didn't procreate.


Personally I floved the first 2 and really liked the 3rd. I love the whole trilogy and pimp out to everyone I know so they will read them.
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby mandaliz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Kay Kay wrote:Alright, I'm late to the party but I'm jumping into the HG discussion Spoiler box!

First of all, its completely natural for Katniss to be hard to relate to- how could you???? Odds are, you've never been starving and forced to raise your whole family at a young age (actually, that's why I loved reading Mark Reads the Hunger Games, he was able to give me insight to that part of the story that was beyond my experiences). In addition, you can't apply ANY of our conventions to how Katniss is. Let's start with her being emotionally cold. Jodie was right that Katniss did NOT see love in her future. She didn't want to be a mother and have to worry about her children in the reaping. In addition, all Katniss has seen of love is from her parents, and her father's death destroyed her mother. A mother that Katniss has zero respect for. So even before Peeta comes into the story, we know that Katniss has love on the very bottom of her priority list- Gale is the closest she has to romantic love, and she's just too young to know what to do with it anyway.
Next, enter Peeta. You have to remember that although WE love Peeta, Katniss doesn't trust him at ALL. Don't forget that there is a huge class divide even within District 12. Peeta is other- he has a much better perceived life according to Katniss. She partially resents him even though Gale is more vocal about disliking the slightly wealthier/better fed. Even when it's clear to us that Peeta's feelings are genuine, she only sees his own means of survival- using her just as she is using him. There's no room for love.
Next, Katniss is FORCED to be with Peeta. Even if he is great and wonderful, it was the ONE decision she thought she could make for herself. Wouldn't you be a little resistant too if the man you hate picked your future husband? Especially when your best friend has suddenly started showing interest in you? Wouldn't you want the choice??
Then in the next books- Katniss is flat out suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. I read some reviews that applauded the author for handling PTSD really well- I think one review was the wife of a retired military guy and she saw a lot of the symptoms that Katniss displays when he got home- especially in book three. I would give Katniss a little more leeway when talking about her emotional growth- she's damaged. Severely. I think its most clear how far her and Peeta have come in the Epi- she has everything she wants and is trying to think of way to tell her kids her story- and how they still struggle years later.
I LOVED these books. Maybe there is no great message like in HP (love and friendship will get you through). It just the extremes of humanity- the most selfish, hateful, vicious, oblivious, callous, power hungry, and violent. It would be boring, I think, if Katniss were perfectly selfless and pure (that's Peeta's role in the story- which is why is hijacking is so shocking) but she tries. She struggles to stay retain her humanity amidst everything and I think it's incredibly powerful.

*phew*


TTTTTTHHHHHIIIIIISSSSS!!!!!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby JellybeanRainbow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:36 pm


Hi, BB, I see you're here!
I read HG when Mockingjay came out, so I don't remember every little detail anymore and can't really comment. I really liked the first book, thought second was a "repeat performance" and third one was unnecessary. I don't think I'll read them again very soon, but can't wait to see the movie.
The question I'm asking myself again and again is, why am I lately reading young adult fiction, like HG or TWi or Fallen series, instead of Jonathan Frantzen ( aka THE next great american novelist ) and why is Pulitzer Prize 2011 winner A Visit From the Goon Squad still unopened on my nightstand.
Don't answer that. I know, it's because I'm stoooopid and lazy. :roll:
User avatar
JellybeanRainbow
Fake Lesbian
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:27 am


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 pm

the forum has been acting wonky for me all day :x so, HG...I'm the odd one out,eh? **shrugs shoulders** oh well :| it's weird for me b/c it's like my brain was telling me EVERYTHING you guys were saying while I was reading, but my heart was pissed as hell!! this happens to me often, it's really annoying :lol: the heart wants what the heart wants tho, and I just can't get on board with Katniss :( ( for those LOST fans, she reminds me of Kate :roll: ) I'd like to point out tho that I didn't mean she was a coward for not wanting kids, after reading Mandaliz's reply I realize it may have seemed that way. I only meant that I thought a lot of her reasons seemed like cop-outs to me. I'm a bit biased on this issue tho, so I'm bringing my bias to the table. I don't think everyone needs to have kids, but I hate when people say the world is such an awful place and THAT'S why they don't want kids, like this statement makes them noble or something :roll: this does not apply to HG, I realize, cause that world is awful!! but that's just my opinion ;)

Mandaliz: I really like your guideline about the age of the characters determining the age who should be reading'; I've always thought this as well :D I was not really restricted in my viewing/reading choices as a child either. altho I was very responsible and mature for my age, some things caused me a lot of anxiety without me realizing it. yes these things shaped me and I'm grateful for the way they've helped me view the "real" world, but I want to be more careful with my kids. they're only kids for such a short time, do I really need to expose them to the horrors of humanity so much so soon? :(

R4L: my son is in 6th grade :) I too read LOTF at this age; at the time I remember thinking it wasn't appropriate :P

BB: I don't mind the crasten spoiler boxes, for the same reason you seem to like them ;)
User avatar
kelbel75
Craft Services
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 pm

JellybeanRainbow wrote:
I read HG when Mockingjay came out, so I don't remember every little detail anymore and can't really comment. I really liked the first book, thought second was a "repeat performance" and third one was unnecessary. I don't think I'll read them again very soon, but can't wait to see the movie.
The question I'm asking myself again and again is, why am I lately reading young adult fiction, like HG or TWi or Fallen series, instead of Jonathan Frantzen ( aka THE next great american novelist ) and why is Pulitzer Prize 2011 winner A Visit From the Goon Squad still unopened on my nightstand.
Don't answer that. I know, it's because I'm stoooopid and lazy. :roll:

first, second, and third books: yes, yes, and hell yes! and I too am looking forward to the movie 8-) why are you reading YA books instead of the great american novels? the same reason I'm reading fanfiction, I suppose! we've put in our time engulfing ourselves in the heavy and respectable, now we get a break reading what actually makes us feel good :)
User avatar
kelbel75
Craft Services
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:19 pm

JodieO wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:God. This book is horrible. Despite my rant, I still feel twisted for loving it so much. But then I think, Harry went through a lot of horrible shit too and everyone loves those books without feeling terrible. ;) ;) ;) ;)


Well, Katniss, like Harry, had to overcome a horrible situation into which she was born. One of the reasons I've always been a bit confused about why HG isn't compared to HP instead of Twi.

Harry ultimately prevailed tho and was better for it, whereas I don't think Katniss did :? she was just a tool. I CANNOT compare these books to either Twi or HP. Twi was a love story: how far would I go and what would I give up for love? HP was about self-discovery, the true bonds of friendship, and good vs. evil. HG just seemed like a depressing PSA on the evils of gov't, and it portrayed love as a frivilous thing that none of us can afford if we wish to survive :(
User avatar
kelbel75
Craft Services
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 pm

loving40s wrote:DAMN IT! I missed the Jodie/Kelbel HG debate!!! I would have been in there with you two but I was at yoga and grocery store. Well, in a nutshell, I'm with you, Jodie. I pretty much agreed with every single one of your comments. Sorry, Kelbel! LOL! :lol:

you are DEAD to me! :x j/k :lol: I really like my opinion best :P but I respect those that differ, and actually enjoy them :) I spend ALL day EVERY day with myself, it's nice to be around something diff't ;)
User avatar
kelbel75
Craft Services
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby cedvanhalen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:55 pm

I took a Children's Literature course in college and one day we discussed banned and controversial books. The Hunger Games was definitely brought up (even though I don't really remember what we had to say about it. whoops.). KelBel, I'm glad that you have actually read the books and can knowledgeably voice your thoughts and concerns. You're ahead of some parents. Namely, those that were against Harry Potter while I was in school because it "promoted witchcraft" or whatever. Obviously they hadn't read the books themselves to see that it doesn't. (Note: this never happened at my school, but I work with a lady who wouldn't let her son read HP.) I think that if your son is mature enough to read them, then make sure you are there if he has questions. And discuss what he's reading with him! I like book discussions. :)

Ok, on to my views of the series.
I have mad respect for Katniss. If I was in her spot, I don't know as if I would have had the strength to survive. When she lost her father in the mines, she basically lost her mother too. And to be that young and have to step up and provide for your family with no money is something I cannot imagine. But she did what she could, and literally broke all the rules to keep her family alive. And then when she is off to the games, she has to worry that her mother will sink back into or further into depression after her death. Because, let's face it, the odds really aren't in your favor when you're picked for the games.
Regarding Mr. Mellark: While I love Peeta long time, I understand why Katniss was a little weary. First, he's a part of these games too. His declaration of love could have very well just been a strategy. She has reasons to not trust him. She's in a game where everyone is out to get you! Second: I do feel bad that she did not get any say in who she was with (until the end). She had to keep up this "I love Peeta" show to keep everyone she loved alive. And I don't at all blame her for not wanting to bring kids into this world. Not while she sees children starving to death in their homes and then others picked to go off and kill each other for entertainment. I wouldn't want to put children through that myself.


I actually think Catching Fire is my favorite of the series. I threw Mockingjay when
the Capital f-ed up my beloved Peeta. And then Katniss turned her back on him. That was not good.


I feel bad that I love this series, but I totally do.
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
User avatar
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 919
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: MO yo!


Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby JodieO » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:34 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
JodieO wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:God. This book is horrible. Despite my rant, I still feel twisted for loving it so much. But then I think, Harry went through a lot of horrible shit too and everyone loves those books without feeling terrible. ;) ;) ;) ;)


Well, Katniss, like Harry, had to overcome a horrible situation into which she was born. One of the reasons I've always been a bit confused about why HG isn't compared to HP instead of Twi.

Harry ultimately prevailed tho and was better for it, whereas I don't think Katniss did :? she was just a tool. I CANNOT compare these books to either Twi or HP. Twi was a love story: how far would I go and what would I give up for love? HP was about self-discovery, the true bonds of friendship, and good vs. evil. HG just seemed like a depressing PSA on the evils of gov't, and it portrayed love as a frivilous thing that none of us can afford if we wish to survive :(


I think Kat was the better for it at the end of the series. She was never going to be completely whole, but I think she was at her best that she ever had been. There was happiness in her life.

She WAS a tool for the government, but that doesn't mean she didn't also do things her way. She never fully just played along with what they wanted her to be. Particularly not when she killed the new president since she knew the country would be no better off under her than they were under Snow. That sure wasn't in the government's plan. They were ready to trade one power-hungry dictator for another and call it improvement.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16218
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:44 pm

cedvanhalen wrote:I actually think Catching Fire is my favorite of the series. I threw Mockingjay when
the Capital f-ed up my beloved Peeta. And then Katniss turned her back on him. That was not good.


I feel bad that I love this series, but I totally do.


Ooooh, that burned me! I was so sad when Peeta was all fucked up. The part where I would have thrown the book if it was a paper book and not my Kindle, was Prim. I was like "WTF?!?! What's the point of this fucking story?!?" But then I settled down and realized the point that action made. The only part that moved me to tears was Kat and the cat.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16218
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:49 pm

"Katyess", "Katnyet"...why is there not a "Katnooo" ? :lol: okay, I'm just messing with you ;)

I know why you all like and respect her so much. I don't disagree with the fact that she's a very strong young woman who has survived where most others would fail. I feel like I need to clarify that I do indeed like the first book. it kept me on the edge of my seat 8-) I am just a HEA kind of girl ;) now I know that life isn't always fair, yada, yada :roll: but I just wanted Katniss to open her heart to the possibility of happiness, which she flat out refused to do :(

what it all comes do to, for me, is that I generally don't like her type of character in any novel :? it seems to me that this type of woman feels that she only has two choices in life: to be independent and in control of her own destiny, or to be in love with a man and surrender. This is not the case!! :x even in the war-torn society of the HG, she could have still had BOTH. in the end she did get both, but it wasn't seen as a happy ending :|

i just wish she wouldn't have fought against it so hard; so much unneccesary energy lost. TEAMWORK people, why is being part of a team seen as a weakness? weither a romantic one or just a platonic one, "needing" someone else shouldn't be frowned upon. I really would have liked to see her realize this. I had high hopes in Rue, but that lasted all of five minutes.

okay, I'm done beating the Katniss horse :lol: let's move on. other fav characters? I liked Peeta (duh) and Cinna best. I wouldn't say that Haymitch was extremely likable, but I do think he was the life of the story 8-)
User avatar
kelbel75
Craft Services
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:19 pm

kelbel75 wrote:okay, I'm done beating the Katniss horse :lol: let's move on. other fav characters? I liked Peeta (duh) and Cinna best. I wouldn't say that Haymitch was extremely likable, but I do think he was the life of the story 8-)


I found myself begrudgingly liking Haymich. Although he was just a damaged individual he also seemed to be the one who had his head screwed on the tightest. He saw all the bullshit for what it was. I'm still having trouble picturing Woody Harrelson in the role. He's still Jim Broadbent to me.

I also love Cinna. I want him to be my bestie.

Although they were spoiled and frivolous and annoying, I love love love Kat's prep team. I was always a little excited to get a little silliness in while they were around. I was so sad for them when they were in District 13. A-holes.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16218
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby mandaliz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:38 pm

kelbel75 wrote:other fav characters?


Of course I FLOVE me some Peeta. I also dig on Finnick. I adored Cinna. I am intrigued to see how Lenny Kravitz brings him to life on the big screen.
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 pm

so after reading that Lenny Kravitz is playing Cinna (?) I went to the IMDB page to look at the rest of the casting. I think this may be one of those rare instances where I like the movie better than the book ( it happens :roll: ) just looking at the still pictures of the three main actors, I think I'll be able to connect with them more "in the flesh" so to speak, then I did in the book.

it makes me wonder if things would be diff't for me if I didn't already have the visuals for the Twi actors when I read those books? ( in the books and in all the fanfictions I read, I have my own idea of Esme tho ;) )
User avatar
kelbel75
Craft Services
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA


Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby cedvanhalen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Oooooo other favorite characters. Besides my lover, I really like Finnick and Cinna and Haymitch. I'm not really seeing Lenny as Cinna, but I'm holding back judgments until the movie comes out. I really like who they have chosen as the main three though.

I really like Haymitch. A friend of mine does not like him at all. I really like his sarcasm though. And while Woody Harrelson wasn't my first choice, I can see it.

I kinda want to make out with Finnick. Just for a little bit. Then I'll go back to my Peeta.
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
User avatar
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 919
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: MO yo!

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest