Go to footer

The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:21 pm

cedvanhalen wrote:Oooooo other favorite characters. Besides my lover, I really like Finnick and Cinna and Haymitch. I'm not really seeing Lenny as Cinna, but I'm holding back judgments until the movie comes out. I really like who they have chosen as the main three though.

I really like Haymitch. A friend of mine does not like him at all. I really like his sarcasm though. And while Woody Harrelson wasn't my first choice, I can see it.

I kinda want to make out with Finnick. Just for a little bit. Then I'll go back to my Peeta.

I love Finnick as well. When he ate it I was like "AWWH! Come ON! Cut the crap already!"
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Kay Kay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:52 am

kelbel75 wrote:"Katyess", "Katnyet"...why is there not a "Katnooo" ? :lol: okay, I'm just messing with you ;)

I know why you all like and respect her so much. I don't disagree with the fact that she's a very strong young woman who has survived where most others would fail. I feel like I need to clarify that I do indeed like the first book. it kept me on the edge of my seat 8-) I am just a HEA kind of girl ;) now I know that life isn't always fair, yada, yada :roll: but I just wanted Katniss to open her heart to the possibility of happiness, which she flat out refused to do :(

I'm responding with my responses to each part! I love book discussion eee! I think one of the reasons Katniss held so fast to her misery is that she'd never actually SEEN anyone happy. All we saw were the oblivioius selfishness of her prep team. Happiness and stupidity were very close together in this book which is so so sad. :cry: :cry: :cry:

what it all comes do to, for me, is that I generally don't like her type of character in any novel :? it seems to me that this type of woman feels that she only has two choices in life: to be independent and in control of her own destiny, or to be in love with a man and surrender. This is not the case!! :x even in the war-torn society of the HG, she could have still had BOTH. in the end she did get both, but it wasn't seen as a happy ending :|

I think I was in the minority that saw the ending as happy. I mean, I wanted to see a wedding and at least ONE good kiss, damnit,(seriously, where was it?? Better be in the f-ing movie is all I'm saying) but we saw Katniss in her home of District 12, with a man she chose to love, and children she didn't has to fear for. I liked that the author didn't make light of her demons, but I was very happy that we got the impossible.

i just wish she wouldn't have fought against it so hard; so much unneccesary energy lost. TEAMWORK people, why is being part of a team seen as a weakness? weither a romantic one or just a platonic one, "needing" someone else shouldn't be frowned upon. I really would have liked to see her realize this. I had high hopes in Rue, but that lasted all of five minutes.
And I don't think Katniss was all that independent. She relied on Cinna, Haymitch, Peeta and Gale in the later books. She needed all of them- it was THEM who actually let her down, in a way. Cinna died (not his fault, well kinda, I know) Haymitch betrayed her, Peeta was hijacked, and Gale was too extreme. She needed each of them and I think she knew that. And Rue! God! These books are awful! You think they can't get any more sad and horrible and they do...and then again! I'm going to die at that part in the movie.

okay, I'm done beating the Katniss horse :lol: let's move on. other fav characters? I liked Peeta (duh) and Cinna best. I wouldn't say that Haymitch was extremely likable, but I do think he was the life of the story 8-)
Ooooo I really ended up liking Finnick! It wasn't until I re-read the Series that I didn't get the relief at the end of Book 1. The "it's finally over." And not even because I knew the effect of the berries, but because even if everything had to gone to plan, Peeta had died from his wound and Katniss was the sole winner, her life STILL would have been at the mercy of the Capitol's whims! Sold to the highest bidder, forced to mentor, family constantly threatened for cooperation. God, It's so awful hearing his story. I hope they do his story justice to show Katniss' alternate reality. And his son! All the tears in the world!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby kelbel75 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:02 am

Kay Kay wrote: I think one of the reasons Katniss held so fast to her misery is that she'd never actually SEEN anyone happy.

what about her father? he seemed like a pretty easy going guy with a big heart, and the mom was devestated when he died so I assume they were happy together :?

Kay Kay wrote:I think I was in the minority that saw the ending as happy. I mean, I wanted to see a wedding and at least ONE good kiss, damnit,(seriously, where was it?? Better be in the f-ing movie is all I'm saying) but we saw Katniss in her home of District 12, with a man she chose to love, and children she didn't has to fear for. I liked that the author didn't make light of her demons, but I was very happy that we got the impossible.

yes, the ending was happy. but altho it's description seemed like it "should" be happy, Katniss's tone prevented me from really feeling the love. she's not an affectionate gushy person, so it was keeping within character I guess, but I just wasn't feeling it :( I know I'll have to read that last book again tho, b/c I kind of zipped thru it just to see what happened. I need to go back and face my demons so I'm not so bitter :| ( story of my life! :roll: )

Kay Kay wrote:And I don't think Katniss was all that independent. She relied on Cinna, Haymitch, Peeta and Gale in the later books.

to me "relying" on someone is a physical thing, whereas "needing" somone is an emotional one.

and this is just plain sad, but it's exactly how I felt at the end of the series :cry: ( after I bolted down my laptop so I didn't "accidentally" throw it ;) )

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:52 pm

my 11 year old son finally finished the first bookk. I let him read it as long as we discussed what he read every night. his teacher made him take notes to use for his future book report. they had to state what the theme of the book was; my son's initial answer: killing people :shock: after some discussion with me, he changed it to: survival :roll:

so now he wants to read the second book. it's clear that I'm biased in my negativity :P but if he's read the first, he should be fine reading the other two, right? ( I think he'll be bored with the last one, personally, but the second one should still keep him engaged I think )
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm

kelbel75 wrote:my 11 year old son finally finished the first bookk. I let him read it as long as we discussed what he read every night. his teacher made him take notes to use for his future book report. they had to state what the theme of the book was; my son's initial answer: killing people :shock: after some discussion with me, he changed it to: survival :roll:

so now he wants to read the second book. it's clear that I'm biased in my negativity :P but if he's read the first, he should be fine reading the other two, right? ( I think he'll be bored with the last one, personally, but the second one should still keep him engaged I think )

I don't see why not. I mean, I sure don't think it gets any worse than that final scene at the cornucopia...
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby BrooklynBabe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm

I am loving everyone's perspective's of the book. I just put the last one down. Did I love the books? No. Did I hate the books? No. They just seemed to be something I've read before-like a whole lot of stories (or Star Trek episodes) put together. Has anyone ever read Enders Game? It struck me similiarly like that and the Lois Lowry Books The Giver, Gathering Blue and The Messenger. As well as many other books about our future society after we destroy our present.

BUT I did enjoy them. And I agree with most of your views about Katniss. I don't think she really knew herself before her father died but had to do something to make sure Prim survived. She never had the chance to really grow up emotionally and once she lost her father she shut down her emotions because she never wanted to feel that type of loss again. She almost gave up but for Peetah and the kindness he showed her with the bread. I don't think she ever experienced kindness from others before. So she had no reference point for her feelings except being indebted to him. Even with Gale, they depended on each other. Otherwise she was self-reliant, needing to survive for Prim.

I think the actual games started awakening in her emotions she didn't even know existed within herself, the stuff they made the first propos on, holding Rue when she died, the knocking Peetah out to get him medicine, etc. She was still a kid trying to find a place for herself, believing that this was the lot chosen for her and that there was no way out. She was clueless as to what was going on in the world around her and had no idea it could be changed. She had no guidance from her mother and only lived to survive.

I thought she acted foolish at times but she really did have her senses about her. And after the games she was damaged. And became further damaged once slowly learning the truth about things. I admired her even though I didn't always like her. She was a fighter through and through.

And I don't really think the story is about her but a reflection of our society as a whole. It gives food for thought.

Going now to look at the IMBD page for the cast.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:46 pm

BrooklynBabe wrote:I am loving everyone's perspective's of the book. I just put the last one down. Did I love the books? No. Did I hate the books? No. They just seemed to be something I've read before-like a whole lot of stories (or Star Trek episodes) put together. Has anyone ever read Enders Game? It struck me similiarly like that and the Lois Lowry Books The Giver, Gathering Blue and The Messenger. As well as many other books about our future society after we destroy our present.

BUT I did enjoy them. And I agree with most of your views about Katniss. I don't think she really knew herself before her father died but had to do something to make sure Prim survived. She never had the chance to really grow up emotionally and once she lost her father she shut down her emotions because she never wanted to feel that type of loss again. She almost gave up but for Peetah and the kindness he showed her with the bread. I don't think she ever experienced kindness from others before. So she had no reference point for her feelings except being indebted to him. Even with Gale, they depended on each other. Otherwise she was self-reliant, needing to survive for Prim.

I think the actual games started awakening in her emotions she didn't even know existed within herself, the stuff they made the first propos on, holding Rue when she died, the knocking Peetah out to get him medicine, etc. She was still a kid trying to find a place for herself, believing that this was the lot chosen for her and that there was no way out. She was clueless as to what was going on in the world around her and had no idea it could be changed. She had no guidance from her mother and only lived to survive.

I thought she acted foolish at times but she really did have her senses about her. And after the games she was damaged. And became further damaged once slowly learning the truth about things. I admired her even though I didn't always like her. She was a fighter through and through.

And I don't really think the story is about her but a reflection of our society as a whole. It gives food for thought.

I can't wait to see what you think! I personally LOVE the whole cast! I think it will be perfect!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby BrooklynBabe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Kay Kay wrote:
BrooklynBabe wrote:

I can't wait to see what you think! I personally LOVE the whole cast! I think it will be perfect!

I was kinda surprised that there was alot of disappointment in the casting of Woody Harrelson. I think he will be perfect for the role.

Lenny Kravitz on the other hand, not so sure of.

Prim-I expected someone a little more innocent looking, more like Ruby Jerins.

President Snow-I had Malcolm McDowell pictured in my head, but Donald Sutherland will do just fine.

I think Jennifer Lawrence will be very good. As for Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth I have no point of reference except for their looks. I always pictured Zach Roerig (Matt from the Vampire Diaries) as Peetah and no one in particular for Gale.

I think Elizabeth Banks will nail it as Effie. Not so sure about Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman.

When is this supposed to come out?
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:52 pm

BrooklynBabe wrote:I admired her even though I didn't always like her.

yes, this is how I felt overall as well. I was just mad at the way the story went, not neccessarily at her ;)
BrooklynBabe wrote:And I don't really think the story is about her but a reflection of our society as a whole.
this is why I didn't really like the last book; too political :?
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby BrooklynBabe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:16 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
BrooklynBabe wrote:I admired her even though I didn't always like her.

yes, this is how I felt overall as well. I was just mad at the way the story went, not neccessarily at her ;)
BrooklynBabe wrote:And I don't really think the story is about her but a reflection of our society as a whole.
this is why I didn't really like the last book; too political :?

But I thought all the books were political-the last one the most so, but the others were leading up to it, maybe too predictibly so.
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby absolutelyvlc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Just finished reading the last book.
Um, lame-o ending. Hello.
I knew the ending would disappoint me.
And of course she has to
have babies at the end too. Because as we all know that's the only way a woman can be happy, and that a relationship can truly be complete. barf.
. I guess in general I enjoyed the books. Just the ending that disappointed. But then I typically am disappointed by book endings, so I guess I'm not complaining.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby CarrieCee » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:44 pm

*closing my eyes so I don't see spoilers*

I started reading the first Hunger Games book last night. I was intrigued - I only got about five or so chapters in, then realised if I didn't stop then I wasn't going to stop at all. I can understand the hype about it, it's well written (for a YA novel) and the whole concept/plot premise is really quite fascinating, not to mention really original.
I've seen a lot of discussion about the book, mainly on FB and twitter, so I've got a pretty good idea of what happens during, but I have no idea how it turns out. I'm not going to spoil myself like I did with the Twilight books (I read about them all on wikipedia before I started reading them, so there were nos surprises :( )
Alos, I've heard mentioned that a lot of people don't like the main character of Katniss, because she's cold and unemtional, which has surprised me. From what I've read I feel quite differently about her. And I'm rather intrigued about Peeta, I can't work out if he's just being nice as a strategy or if he's a genuine nice guy...
Anyways, so I'm looking forward to getting into bed tonight to read more!
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher

Postby JodieO » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:16 pm

CarrieCee wrote:*closing my eyes so I don't see spoilers*

I started reading the first Hunger Games book last night. I was intrigued - I only got about five or so chapters in, then realised if I didn't stop then I wasn't going to stop at all. I can understand the hype about it, it's well written (for a YA novel) and the whole concept/plot premise is really quite fascinating, not to mention really original.
I've seen a lot of discussion about the book, mainly on FB and twitter, so I've got a pretty good idea of what happens during, but I have no idea how it turns out. I'm not going to spoil myself like I did with the Twilight books (I read about them all on wikipedia before I started reading them, so there were nos surprises :( )
Alos, I've heard mentioned that a lot of people don't like the main character of Katniss, because she's cold and unemtional, which has surprised me. From what I've read I feel quite differently about her. And I'm rather intrigued about Peeta, I can't work out if he's just being nice as a strategy or if he's a genuine nice guy...
Anyways, so I'm looking forward to getting into bed tonight to read more!

Ooh! Enjoy the books! Let us know how it's going!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby absolutelyvlc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:04 am

Enjoy CC. I remember that thrilling feeling of looking forward to reading every night. :D
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby CarrieCee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:01 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:Enjoy CC. I remember that thrilling feeling of looking forward to reading every night. :D

I will! I'm up to chapter 8 now. I'm literally having to tear myself away from it each night so I can go to sleep. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it actually. It's giving me a lot for food for thought. And it's quite funny, because I keep seeing all these people on my train in the morning reading it too...
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:11 am

CarrieCee wrote:I've heard mentioned that a lot of people don't like the main character of Katniss, because she's cold and unemtional

oh good, so it's not just me? :P
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby CarrieCee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:46 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
CarrieCee wrote:I've heard mentioned that a lot of people don't like the main character of Katniss, because she's cold and unemtional

oh good, so it's not just me? :P

Well so far I can agree - but I can also understand WHY she is that why.

I mean, she's just had a death sentence hung over her head, and she's too strong a person (emotionally) to allow that to affect her - or at least to allow anyone to think she is being affected. She wants to be strong. She's allowed her responsibilities and her family to become more important to her than her own life. She's a bit of a martyr in that way. And I can see why she's keeping Peeta at an arm's length - he helped her when she was at her lowest point, and she doesn't want to be seen as being weak or being anything other than self reliant. That and she can't work out whether he's just being strategic and using her for his own means. Plus, she's had a pretty fucked up childhood (excuse my French!) and since her father died I don't think she had an opportunity to develop emotionally the same way her sister was allowed to.

Anyways - that's my thoughts on Katniss - although I'm only 8 chapters in at the moment, and these very well may change!!
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher

Postby kelbel75 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:11 am

as the resident hater in this thread ( :lol: ) I feel like I should clarify: I don't really have a problem with Katniss in book one; I know WHY she is the way she is, yadda, yadda. the last book is a diff't story tho :roll: I just can't explain away her actions ( or inactions ) on the crutch that is her past. "The game of life is not so much in holding a good hand, as playing a poor hand well." I was disappointed with where the story went AFTER book one :|
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby CarrieCee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 pm

*closing my eyes so I don't see spoilers*

I finished the first book on Monday night, and bought the second two yesterday. I've just started the second. It's not as good as the first, so far. A little less suspense. And I'm so team Peeta, I don't get the Gale thing at all...
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher

Postby JodieO » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:32 pm

I finished the first book on Monday night, and bought the second two yesterday. I've just started the second. It's not as good as the first, so far. A little less suspense. And I'm so team Peeta, I don't get the Gale thing at all...

Gale isn't a terrible guy. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Donkey Farmer Josh. Some women seem to really dig men who have a habit of being dickheads.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby CarrieCee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 pm

JodieO wrote:

Gale isn't a terrible guy. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Donkey Farmer Josh. Some women seem to really dig men who have a habit of being dickheads.

Um, have I missed something? Who the heck is Donkey Farmer Josh?????????????????????
And so far Gale hasn't been a dick - he hasn't really done anything. I just think Peeta is a total sweetie. Thsi may change though, I guess I'll find out the more I read... And I'm definitely one of those women who like my men to be dickheads. The dickheadier the better, IMO. I ESPECIALLY love my men to be complete and utter arseholes, who make everyone else's lives an absolute misery, seem like they have no soul and no redeeming qualities. Mmmm my favourite.
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher

Postby JodieO » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:10 pm

CarrieCee wrote:
JodieO wrote:

Um, have I missed something? Who the heck is Donkey Farmer Josh?????????????????????
And so far Gale hasn't been a dick - he hasn't really done anything. I just think Peeta is a total sweetie. Thsi may change though, I guess I'll find out the more I read... And I'm definitely one of those women who like my men to be dickheads. The dickheadier the better, IMO. I ESPECIALLY love my men to be complete and utter arseholes, who make everyone else's lives an absolute misery, seem like they have no soul and no redeeming qualities. Mmmm my favourite.

Girrrrl, I talk about DFJ all the time. He's my Canadian buddy who lives in the boondocks and takes care of his sister's donkeys. He's a great guy, but sometimes he can be a bit of a butthead. Gale can be like that, too. You'll start seeing more of him in the next two books and you'll be all 'awwh, I love him... wait, why's he being such an a-hole?'
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:44 pm

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/fea ... nteractive

hover over their faces to get some extra info.

This photo shoot makes me want to be team gale.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:17 am

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:31 pm

ohhh! this trailer looks awesome! I'm really excited for the movie now, after seeing this :D

you know, I was thinking about these books again the other day ( my son just finished the last one :) ) and I think I've pinpointed why I wasn't completely satisfied with them. the writing was too simple for the subject matter, imo. I needed more descriptive details, and deeper emotions. that's not to say I think the writing is crap or anything. the twi books are written in a very simplistic form, and that works for me b/c it's a more straight-forward story. in the same vein the Narnia books always intrigued me BECAUSE of their lack of detail; they let you create the backdrop yourself, in a way. but with these books, I really needed something more...and it looks like I'll get that with the movies 8-) who knows, maybe I'll like the movies so much that I'll go back and read the books, liking them better when aided with the visuals? ( more so the human body language, than surrounding backgrounds )

in the trailer tho, I got chills when you see the platform come up into the actual games and then everyone runs; exciting!! ( and I think I will like woody very much as haymitch, but I still need to be sold on lenny :? )
kelbel75
Craft Services

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat