Go to footer

The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby LittleSecrets » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 pm

kelbel75 wrote:ohhh! this trailer looks awesome! I'm really excited for the movie now, after seeing this :D

you know, I was thinking about these books again the other day ( my son just finished the last one :) ) and I think I've pinpointed why I wasn't completely satisfied with them. the writing was too simple for the subject matter, imo. I needed more descriptive details, and deeper emotions. that's not to say I think the writing is crap or anything. the twi books are written in a very simplistic form, and that works for me b/c it's a more straight-forward story. in the same vein the Narnia books always intrigued me BECAUSE of their lack of detail; they let you create the backdrop yourself, in a way. but with these books, I really needed something more...and it looks like I'll get that with the movies 8-) who knows, maybe I'll like the movies so much that I'll go back and read the books, liking them better when aided with the visuals? ( more so the human body language, than surrounding backgrounds )

in the trailer tho, I got chills when you see the platform come up into the actual games and then everyone runs; exciting!! ( and I think I will like woody very much as haymitch, but I still need to be sold on lenny :? )

Me, too. And I got a bit teary with the selection. I'm really excited for this movie.
LittleSecrets
Leghitcher

Postby JodieO » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:36 pm

kelbel75 wrote:in the trailer tho, I got chills when you see the platform come up into the actual games and then everyone runs; exciting!! ( and I think I will like woody very much as haymitch, but I still need to be sold on lenny :? )

Haha. I'm the opposite. I'm loving Lenny, but not sold on Woody. I think it's that terrible Summit style wig.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby cedvanhalen » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:29 am

JodieO wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:in the trailer tho, I got chills when you see the platform come up into the actual games and then everyone runs; exciting!! ( and I think I will like woody very much as haymitch, but I still need to be sold on lenny :? )

Haha. I'm the opposite. I'm loving Lenny, but not sold on Woody. I think it's that terrible Summit style wig.

I agree Jodie. I was a little worried about Lenny, but now I think I like him. I was ok with Woody, but I think I need to see more to fully judge. And that is a terrible wig....

Peeta's looking mighty fine though. Effie looks perfect. And I will cry during the reaping. For sure.
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:17 pm

cedvanhalen wrote:
JodieO wrote:

I agree Jodie. I was a little worried about Lenny, but now I think I like him. I was ok with Woody, but I think I need to see more to fully judge. And that is a terrible wig....

Peeta's looking mighty fine though. Effie looks perfect. And I will cry during the reaping. For sure.

Yeah, I got a little misty when they were taking Prim away. Ugh. And the countdown started to make me anxious. Amazing trailer!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby absolutelyvlc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 pm

JodieO wrote:

Yep, I'm with you on that one. I still can't get my head around Woody as Haymitch. Though I"m sure he'll do an outstanding job cuz he's brilliant, he's just not what my mind's eye pictured while reading the books - mind you neither is half the cast for that matter. So I guess we'll wait and see. And the countdown begins......
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby JodieO » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:
JodieO wrote:

Yep, I'm with you on that one. I still can't get my head around Woody as Haymitch. Though I"m sure he'll do an outstanding job cuz he's brilliant, he's just not what my mind's eye pictured while reading the books - mind you neither is half the cast for that matter. So I guess we'll wait and see. And the countdown begins......

I had actually somehow gotten it into my head that Jim Broadbent had been cast as Haymich and so that's who I pictured the whole time. It took a while to even be able to consider Woody.

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:58 pm

JodieO wrote:I had actually somehow gotten it into my head that Jim Broadbent had been cast as Haymich and so that's who I pictured the whole time. It took a while to even be able to consider Woody.

THIS. SO THIS. I was going to say the same thing when I posted, but I couldn't remember his name and didn't have the time to google it before posting. It's either him or an unknown fat dude. Sorry. Not to be crass. But Haymich is supposed to be a well trimmed fit dude turned blobazoid. In my mind anyway.

Ps - if we can tolerate the Twi-wigs, I think we can tolerate Woody's hideous shag. I think.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby WhoRu_&WhatisThat4_ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Kay Kay wrote:Alright, I'm late to the party but I'm jumping into the HG discussion Spoiler box!

First of all, its completely natural for Katniss to be hard to relate to- how could you???? Odds are, you've never been starving and forced to raise your whole family at a young age (actually, that's why I loved reading Mark Reads the Hunger Games, he was able to give me insight to that part of the story that was beyond my experiences). In addition, you can't apply ANY of our conventions to how Katniss is. Let's start with her being emotionally cold. Jodie was right that Katniss did NOT see love in her future. She didn't want to be a mother and have to worry about her children in the reaping. In addition, all Katniss has seen of love is from her parents, and her father's death destroyed her mother. A mother that Katniss has zero respect for. So even before Peeta comes into the story, we know that Katniss has love on the very bottom of her priority list- Gale is the closest she has to romantic love, and she's just too young to know what to do with it anyway.
Next, enter Peeta. You have to remember that although WE love Peeta, Katniss doesn't trust him at ALL. Don't forget that there is a huge class divide even within District 12. Peeta is other- he has a much better perceived life according to Katniss. She partially resents him even though Gale is more vocal about disliking the slightly wealthier/better fed. Even when it's clear to us that Peeta's feelings are genuine, she only sees his own means of survival- using her just as she is using him. There's no room for love.
Next, Katniss is FORCED to be with Peeta. Even if he is great and wonderful, it was the ONE decision she thought she could make for herself. Wouldn't you be a little resistant too if the man you hate picked your future husband? Especially when your best friend has suddenly started showing interest in you? Wouldn't you want the choice??
Then in the next books- Katniss is flat out suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. I read some reviews that applauded the author for handling PTSD really well- I think one review was the wife of a retired military guy and she saw a lot of the symptoms that Katniss displays when he got home- especially in book three. I would give Katniss a little more leeway when talking about her emotional growth- she's damaged. Severely. I think its most clear how far her and Peeta have come in the Epi- she has everything she wants and is trying to think of way to tell her kids her story- and how they still struggle years later.
I LOVED these books. Maybe there is no great message like in HP (love and friendship will get you through). It just the extremes of humanity- the most selfish, hateful, vicious, oblivious, callous, power hungry, and violent. It would be boring, I think, if Katniss were perfectly selfless and pure (that's Peeta's role in the story- which is why is hijacking is so shocking) but she tries. She struggles to stay retain her humanity amidst everything and I think it's incredibly powerful.

*phew*

I just finished the series late/early lastnight, and you have articulated everything I felt perfectly KK!

I have to say it was the most tragic story I have ever read, Kat never EVER caught a break. Her life was undeniably changed when she entered the Hunger Games, how could it not. The one thing I dislike the most though is killing Prim, I cried so hard for Katniss. Everything she went through to keep her safe, and she dies anyway, living would seem unnecessary anymore. I am glad she got her little piece of happiness, but it seemed so small compared to all the loss!

Like Jodie i am going to read it again, but slower this time.
I'll be your lover too
WhoRu_&WhatisThat4_
Twilosophy Major

Location: 30 minutes S. of Milwaukee WI and 75 minutes N. of Chicago IL.

Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:07 pm

WhoRu_&WhatisThat4_ wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:Alright, I'm late to the party but I'm jumping into the HG discussion Spoiler box!

First of all, its completely natural for Katniss to be hard to relate to- how could you???? Odds are, you've never been starving and forced to raise your whole family at a young age (actually, that's why I loved reading Mark Reads the Hunger Games, he was able to give me insight to that part of the story that was beyond my experiences). In addition, you can't apply ANY of our conventions to how Katniss is. Let's start with her being emotionally cold. Jodie was right that Katniss did NOT see love in her future. She didn't want to be a mother and have to worry about her children in the reaping. In addition, all Katniss has seen of love is from her parents, and her father's death destroyed her mother. A mother that Katniss has zero respect for. So even before Peeta comes into the story, we know that Katniss has love on the very bottom of her priority list- Gale is the closest she has to romantic love, and she's just too young to know what to do with it anyway.
Next, enter Peeta. You have to remember that although WE love Peeta, Katniss doesn't trust him at ALL. Don't forget that there is a huge class divide even within District 12. Peeta is other- he has a much better perceived life according to Katniss. She partially resents him even though Gale is more vocal about disliking the slightly wealthier/better fed. Even when it's clear to us that Peeta's feelings are genuine, she only sees his own means of survival- using her just as she is using him. There's no room for love.
Next, Katniss is FORCED to be with Peeta. Even if he is great and wonderful, it was the ONE decision she thought she could make for herself. Wouldn't you be a little resistant too if the man you hate picked your future husband? Especially when your best friend has suddenly started showing interest in you? Wouldn't you want the choice??
Then in the next books- Katniss is flat out suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. I read some reviews that applauded the author for handling PTSD really well- I think one review was the wife of a retired military guy and she saw a lot of the symptoms that Katniss displays when he got home- especially in book three. I would give Katniss a little more leeway when talking about her emotional growth- she's damaged. Severely. I think its most clear how far her and Peeta have come in the Epi- she has everything she wants and is trying to think of way to tell her kids her story- and how they still struggle years later.
I LOVED these books. Maybe there is no great message like in HP (love and friendship will get you through). It just the extremes of humanity- the most selfish, hateful, vicious, oblivious, callous, power hungry, and violent. It would be boring, I think, if Katniss were perfectly selfless and pure (that's Peeta's role in the story- which is why is hijacking is so shocking) but she tries. She struggles to stay retain her humanity amidst everything and I think it's incredibly powerful.

*phew*

I just finished the series late/early lastnight, and you have articulated everything I felt perfectly KK!

I have to say it was the most tragic story I have ever read, Kat never EVER caught a break. Her life was undeniably changed when she entered the Hunger Games, how could it not. The one thing I dislike the most though is killing Prim, I cried so hard for Katniss. Everything she went through to keep her safe, and she dies anyway, living would seem unnecessary anymore. I am glad she got her little piece of happiness, but it seemed so small compared to all the loss!

Like Jodie i am going to read it again, but slower this time.

Ugh, I know! I remember getting to that part thinking "What was this all for!?" But I think it was necessary for a couple reasons. First that it just adds to the whole cruel and indiscriminate way death was handled in the books. It was all abrupt, cold, shocking, and random. Also, I think that if Prim had still been alive, Katniss wouldn't have killed Coin. She still would have had someone to protect to make her cautious. Katniss was never about changing the world- she only wanted to live to protect her family. With the job now moot, she was able to to be reckless- she didn't care if she lived anymore. She just wanted revenge. (Well, I think at least 50% revenge. The other 50% to make sure Coin wasn't in charge anymore. But we can debate her motivations next!)
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:42 pm

I like the two Christian's designs the best. I like the cape on The Blonds, but I don't like the unitard or the headdress. http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/ ... 13,00.html
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby absolutelyvlc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:07 pm

JodieO wrote:I like the two Christian's designs the best. I like the cape on The Blonds, but I don't like the unitard or the headdress. http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/ ... 13,00.html

Cool find. I don't really like any of them compared to my imagination when reading the book. I guess the two Chritians and the Tadaschi one are closest to my imagination. Can't wait to see how they play it out on screen!
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby JodieO » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:10 pm

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Kay Kay » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:00 pm

So this came out about a week or so ago but it just now occurred to me to post. So Taylor Swift did the Hunger Games "cover" song, I guess is what it could be called. My first thought was o_0 because it seemed soooo odd, but I have to say I like the song. Popular opinion seems to think this is Rue's song. I think it feels a bit cave-y montage. What do you think?

The video was a bit hard to find, a lot were pulled. I posted the itunes link just in case it's yanked.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/safe-sound-from-the-hunger/id490735511
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 am

Kay Kay wrote:So this came out about a week or so ago but it just now occurred to me to post. So Taylor Swift did the Hunger Games "cover" song, I guess is what it could be called. My first thought was o_0 because it seemed soooo odd, but I have to say I like the song. Popular opinion seems to think this is Rue's song. I think it feels a bit cave-y montage. What do you think?

The video was a bit hard to find, a lot were pulled. I posted the itunes link just in case it's yanked.

I'm sorry, I know you are all going to throw stones at me, but I really hate Swifty and I kind of hate this song. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this will be played over the closing credits.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby WhoRu_&WhatisThat4_ » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:14 pm

My son found these online. Enjoy!

Katniss and Rue

The Second Quarter Quell

Katniss and Petta

Mockingjay.net
I'll be your lover too
WhoRu_&WhatisThat4_
Twilosophy Major

Location: 30 minutes S. of Milwaukee WI and 75 minutes N. of Chicago IL.

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 am

these are disturbing :shock: and exactly how I pictured the books 8-) I think that's why I've been so bitter and cynical in regards to them, b/c I overthink everything. ( I'm very much an emo brooding edward :roll: ) I would love to take them at face value and be able to see them thru my innocent 11 yr. old son's eyes, but it's just not possible. so when I talk about the stories being dark and violent and not something I wanted my son to be a part of, THIS is what I was picturing :|
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:37 pm

WhoRu_&WhatisThat4_ wrote:My son found these online. Enjoy!
Katniss and Petta

Okay soooo big crush on British Peeta!!!!!!!!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:54 pm

kelbel75 wrote:these are disturbing :shock: and exactly how I pictured the books 8-) I think that's why I've been so bitter and cynical in regards to them, b/c I overthink everything. ( I'm very much an emo brooding edward :roll: ) I would love to take them at face value and be able to see them thru my innocent 11 yr. old son's eyes, but it's just not possible. so when I talk about the stories being dark and violent and not something I wanted my son to be a part of, THIS is what I was picturing :|

However, these clips are ONLY showing violence. There is still a lot more to the books than that, I think. It's supposed to be sad, as opposed to say violent video games where the violence is fun feature or something.
I don't know if your son is still reading the books or not but I highly highly HIGHLY recommend reading Mark Reads the Hunger Games http://markreads.net/reviews/2010/11/mark-reads-the-hunger-games-chapter-1/ He offers a lot of insight that I totally missed while reading. He focuses a lot on the political aspects of the HG and not just the gore like I expected. He also addressed a few subtleties and themes that, for me, were overshadowed by how fast I read them. I don't recommend it to change your mind about the books, but they could offer some good talking points for you and your son to discuss. Although, to be fair, reading him DID make me sadder. :roll:
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Kay Kay wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:these are disturbing :shock: and exactly how I pictured the books 8-) I think that's why I've been so bitter and cynical in regards to them, b/c I overthink everything. ( I'm very much an emo brooding edward :roll: ) I would love to take them at face value and be able to see them thru my innocent 11 yr. old son's eyes, but it's just not possible. so when I talk about the stories being dark and violent and not something I wanted my son to be a part of, THIS is what I was picturing :|

However, these clips are ONLY showing violence. There is still a lot more to the books than that, I think. It's supposed to be sad, as opposed to say violent video games where the violence is fun feature or something.
I don't know if your son is still reading the books or not but I highly highly HIGHLY recommend reading Mark Reads the Hunger Games http://markreads.net/reviews/2010/11/mark-reads-the-hunger-games-chapter-1/ He offers a lot of insight that I totally missed while reading. He focuses a lot on the political aspects of the HG and not just the gore like I expected. He also addressed a few subtleties and themes that, for me, were overshadowed by how fast I read them. I don't recommend it to change your mind about the books, but they could offer some good talking points for you and your son to discuss. Although, to be fair, reading him DID make me sadder. :roll:

my son is done reading the books ( he's moved on to Twi now :twisted: ) and he basically got NOTHING out of them :| I tried to talk him thru the first one, but by the third one he just wanted to finish the series to brag that he did :roll: I know there is more than violence in the story, and really it's not the violence that concerns me, it's the lack of emotion in regards to that violence. now as an adult, we know the context of the times and the political atmosphere, etc. how they have to put emotions aside, somewhat, just to live out each day. that mentality is what I have problems with, in regards to this being aimed at middle-school aged children. for adults, I think it's an engaging story, but I started reading it with my son in mind, so I've always been torn as to how I feel about it personally and fundamentally, as opposed to the parental side of me judging wether or not I want my son to read it. sooo, I just need to lock that mom side of me away! :lol:

really it all boils down to two things: I'm a HEA kind of girl, and altho the ends were tied up nicely, they weren't all that happy to me :( and second: katniss gets under my skin in a way that I'm quite familiar with; which means that I see something in her that I'm afraid is in myself and so I rebel against it ;) in this case it's the emotional walls she puts up in order to protect herself. the fact that it brings out such a strong reaction in me tho, is actually a compliment to the writer 8-)

even tho my son is done with the books, I'm going to check out that link anyway. with the movie coming out in the future, I'm sure he'll get interested in all of it again :) I said that I overthink everything, and sometimes I overexplain everything too :roll: we go to the museum and my son seems really interested in my knowledge of some things, but flat out blocks me out when I'm trying to explain others :lol: and my daughter just tells me to be quiet :P
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:13 am

Kay Kay wrote:

Thanks, KK! Now I'm as addicted to markreads.net as I was the books themselves! :? :roll: ;) :lol: I just wish the site was easier to navigate so I didn't have to scroll back through all three books to get to the chapter I want.

Also, does anyone else think that 'Mark' seems more female than male? Just his/her voice in the writing comes off as very woman...
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby lori_seals » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 am

JodieO wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:So this came out about a week or so ago but it just now occurred to me to post. So Taylor Swift did the Hunger Games "cover" song, I guess is what it could be called. My first thought was o_0 because it seemed soooo odd, but I have to say I like the song. Popular opinion seems to think this is Rue's song. I think it feels a bit cave-y montage. What do you think?

I'm sorry, I know you are all going to throw stones at me, but I really hate Swifty and I kind of hate this song. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this will be played over the closing credits.

Don't worry, Jode, I hate Swifty too. And yeah, not loving the song.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
lori_seals
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:25 am

JodieO wrote:Thanks, KK! Now I'm as addicted to markreads.net as I was the books themselves! :? :roll: ;) :lol: I just wish the site was easier to navigate so I didn't have to scroll back through all three books to get to the chapter I want.

Also, does anyone else think that 'Mark' seems more female than male? Just his/her voice in the writing comes off as very woman...

he's gay, or at least that's what he said in one of the posts I just read :? I too am now addicted :lol: I'm currently reading the "twilight" reviews. I love twi, but the guy makes some valid points ;)
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Kay Kay » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:26 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
JodieO wrote:Thanks, KK! Now I'm as addicted to markreads.net as I was the books themselves! :? :roll: ;) :lol: I just wish the site was easier to navigate so I didn't have to scroll back through all three books to get to the chapter I want.

he's gay, or at least that's what he said in one of the posts I just read :? I too am now addicted :lol: I'm currently reading the "twilight" reviews. I love twi, but the guy makes some valid points ;)

Yeah, I picked up on the gayness a bit before I caught a post where he admitted it. I was suspicious when he kept gushing about Finnick and ignored Johanna oiling up her breasts in Catching Fire. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: I LOVE his Twi review that's just a coroner's report! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Kay Kay wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:

Yeah, I picked up on the gayness a bit before I caught a post where he admitted it. I was suspicious when he kept gushing about Finnick and ignored Johanna oiling up her breasts in Catching Fire. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: I LOVE his Twi review that's just a coroner's report! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHA! I'll have to read the Twi-ones next. I think I'll save the HP ones for when I re-read the books this summer. Then it will be like I have a reading buddy.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:44 am

Spoiler .gif! It looks like it's right after the opening ceremony/parade thingy! I am so frickin excited!

Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat