Go to footer

You brought a snack....It better be a healthy one!

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: You brought a snack....It better be a healthy one!

Postby obava » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:16 pm

LCneiny wrote:
absolutelyvlc wrote:I love celeriac. That is all.

It was my first time using it and I love it!! It's an ugly little thing but tastes wonderful. I roasted it as well as grated some raw in my salad. I always like to try new veggies but unfortunately they usually go bad before I can use them :( Or they just suck. Like the rutabaga I bought to try to make homemade terra chips - did.not.like.

I have never had celeriac. Is it the same thing as celery root? I looked for that all over town last weekend but no one had it. There's a lot of veggies I look for in this town that we don't have :(
I like rutabaga in my minestrone- you can't really taste it but I know it's got good stuff in it :D
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 pm

1. celeriac and celery root are the same thing
2. you can eat celeriac/celery root raw?
3. I just accidentally typed "celery toot" and it made me lol
4. speaking of beautiful articles: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/ ... 24530.html
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby obava » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:37 pm

I want recognition for my heroic acts today! :D Whilst grocery shopping, I saw these:
Image.
I walked by them, then stopped and turned back. Looked at them, picked a bag up, put it down. Picked up two bags, put them in my cart, and walked away. Went back and put both bags back on the shelf. Headed my cart to the candy aisle to get peanut butter M&MS but turned my cart around and went straight to check-out.
It was a HERCULEAN effort and I need pats on the back for it or I might just go back tomorrow and BUY ALL THE THINGS :?
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:14 am

obava wrote:I want recognition for my heroic acts today! :D Whilst grocery shopping, I saw these:
Image.
I walked by them, then stopped and turned back. Looked at them, picked a bag up, put it down. Picked up two bags, put them in my cart, and walked away. Went back and put both bags back on the shelf. Headed my cart to the candy aisle to get peanut butter M&MS but turned my cart around and went straight to check-out.
It was a HERCULEAN effort and I need pats on the back for it or I might just go back tomorrow and BUY ALL THE THINGS :?

Just got back from grocery shopping. Had the same sort of internal struggle. I totally appreciate your Herculean effort. Well done and kudos to you!
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby obava » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 am

Week 2 is OVAH! How's everybody doing? My biggest struggle last week was with snacking. No surprise there- that's always my biggest challenge. 8-)

The Wild Card this week is Finish a Project! This comes not a minute too soon for me- a few weeks ago I started re-organizing my sideboard in the kitchen and, you know how when you're cleaning a room or car or cupboard or something, and there's that point in the process where it looks like a tornado hit, but really you're cleaning and organizing? That's where I stopped :? So I am very happy to have incentive to get the darn thing put back together again properly. :D

I've been dreaming about my Flatmates a lot lately. I dreamt Abs' RL name is Liv. I dreamt about LC but don't remember what it was. Last night I dreamt JodieO & I were talking on the phone- she was telling me how her dad was getting her a new truck, and she described it like "the one in Dukes of Hazzard" and she was really excited!

For those of you off today for MLK Day, do good works! For those of you who have to go to work, like me, be sad & wish you had the day off :lol:
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby JodieO » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 am

obava wrote:Week 2 is OVAH! How's everybody doing? My biggest struggle last week was with snacking. No surprise there- that's always my biggest challenge. 8-)

The Wild Card this week is Finish a Project! This comes not a minute too soon for me- a few weeks ago I started re-organizing my sideboard in the kitchen and, you know how when you're cleaning a room or car or cupboard or something, and there's that point in the process where it looks like a tornado hit, but really you're cleaning and organizing? That's where I stopped :? So I am very happy to have incentive to get the darn thing put back together again properly. :D

I've been dreaming about my Flatmates a lot lately. I dreamt Abs' RL name is Liv. I dreamt about LC but don't remember what it was. Last night I dreamt JodieO & I were talking on the phone- she was telling me how her dad was getting her a new truck, and she described it like "the one in Dukes of Hazzard" and she was really excited!

For those of you off today for MLK Day, do good works! For those of you who have to go to work, like me, be sad & wish you had the day off :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the Dukes of Hazzard! Bo Duke was my first love. I still get all starry-eyed when I see John Schneider on anything. ;)
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Muffinmom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 am

Week 2 already over? Image

I've been a major fail for this challenge... just haven't gotten around to thinking/planning/ mentally gearing up for it. Don't know why... Image but I'm determined to regroup and TODAY IS THE DAY! Image

So far -
1- I planned meals for this week,
2- downloaded P&P (Colin Firth version) into my kindle to *really* encourage me to get my lunchtime workouts done,
3- will take 10 min this morning to update my excel chart so I can track points etc.
4- will commit to getting to bed by 11pm means Mon-Thurs
*** LC - do you still need bedtime text reminders? I could probably use one around 9:30pm to remind me to get ready
5- Obava - I know we were AP's last yr, I'm going to tap on you again if that's ok when I get bad munchies, feel free to do the same.

Off to go play with excel, here's some pretty for your Monday morning, enjoy!

Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm

JodieO wrote:I love the Dukes of Hazzard! Bo Duke was my first love. I still get all starry-eyed when I see John Schneider on anything. ;)

me too :) (well, technically my first crush was Luke Skywalker) I loved every time he slid across that car, and the feathered hair & those tight jeans *bites knuckles* he was a "real man", unlike Ricky Schroeder :P I liked him for all of the right reasons, which made me feel so wrong :lol: (& I too still get a bit giddy when he shows up in things now, especially with his guitar :D )

p.s. Aunt Flo was visiting this past week, she tied me down & forced all kinds of really bad things down my throat :o true story! ;) :P she's gone now tho, so I'll have to play some catch up (that phrase always reminds me of that joke in "Pulp Fiction" about the Ketchup :roll: )
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Forgot to say - WELL DONE OBAVA!! Those were some mighty tempting choco bags!! Image

I'm going to need similar willpower tonight in order to avoid the open bag of chocolate chips in my pantry ->(that I opened over the weekend)<-

Kel - my first crush was also LS, I couldn't understand what the fuss was over Han Solo :lol: Hope AF has left you alone and you can go back to your regularly scheduled menu ;)

For this week's Wildcard - what project(s) is everyone finishing? I've got a bunch of clothes sorted out for donation but never got around to donating them, I'm committing to making all the necessary arrangements to get rid of them this week (they're all going to different places, I'm pretty OCD with stuff like this).

AAAAND.... I got my Colin Firth fix workout done for lunch, yeay me! And I was playing with the Lose It app - its pretty cool! I liked being able to track my food etc.
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 pm

AMY: I need your help! I've finally come to the point where I'm willing to try and cut back on my pop/soda consumption; it's where the majority of my calories are coming from (thank you food journal ;) ) how are you doing with your quest in this area? any tips you can give me? like, should I ween myself off slowly, or just rip the band-aid off quickly? :shock: I drink one can of caffeine-free Pepsi everyday, and some days I add in Ginger Ale or Sprite as well :|
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:07 pm

kelbel75 wrote:AMY: I need your help! I've finally come to the point where I'm willing to try and cut back on my pop/soda consumption; it's where the majority of my calories are coming from (thank you food journal ;) ) how are you doing with your quest in this area? any tips you can give me? like, should I ween myself off slowly, or just rip the band-aid off quickly? :shock: I drink one can of caffeine-free Pepsi everyday, and some days I add in Ginger Ale or Sprite as well :|

I know my name isn't Amy, but I used to drink nearly all my calories and sugar and managed to wean myself off it so I'm going to give my $.02. I realized it wasn't so much the sugar or caffeine I wanted so much as the bubbles. Maybe that's weird, I dunno... But I tried those Izze sodas and realized I was just as happy with those as with regular soda. They are made with fruit juice and carbonated water. But since they cost a bajillion dollars I went out and found myself a juice with a lower sugar content (and NO artificial sweeteners) and bought myself some seltzer and started mixing my own. Seltzer tends to be bitter and can take some getting used to, so for a while I was doing 3 parts juice to 1 part seltzer. Once I got used to that I worked myself down to half and half, and now I'm down to about 1/3 juice and 2/3 seltzer. It's still enough to satisfy the sweetened beverage type craving without actually costing me a million calories and grams of sugar.
I also go for the cheapest seltzer because it tends to have bigger bubbles which mimics soda more than the bigger name brands. The only problem is that it goes flat super fast, so I get six packs of 20oz bottles instead of one big 2ltr.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

I actually prefer my pop flat, I know I'm a weirdo :roll: and I think it is the sugar that I crave :? these juice seltzers sound like a healthy alternative tho, so I might try making them 8-) as long as it tastes good, I'm all for it; but my palette was raised on preservatives & sugar, it drives my BFF crazy! she's trying to lobby for stricter food labeling & the prevention of genetically modified seed, etc. but I'm all like "as long as it tastes good, I don't care what the hell it is actually made out of; & their adding vitamins to it, which can only help me!" :oops: :P
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby obava » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Muffinmom wrote:Week 2 already over? Image
I've been a major fail for this challenge... just haven't gotten around to thinking/planning/ mentally gearing up for it. Don't know why... Image but I'm determined to regroup and TODAY IS THE DAY! Image
So far -
1- I planned meals for this week,
2- downloaded P&P (Colin Firth version) into my kindle to *really* encourage me to get my lunchtime workouts done,
3- will take 10 min this morning to update my excel chart so I can track points etc.
4- will commit to getting to bed by 11pm means Mon-Thurs

It’s never too late to get with the program!
Muffinmom wrote:*** LC - do you still need bedtime text reminders? I could probably use one around 9:30pm to remind me to get ready

I could just start texting everyone when I go to bed!
Muffinmom wrote:5- Obava - I know we were AP's last yr, I'm going to tap on you again if that's ok when I get bad munchies, feel free to do the same.

YES YES YES!!!
Muffinmom wrote:Forgot to say - WELL DONE OBAVA!! Those were some mighty tempting choco bags!! Image

Thank you for recognizing my struggle. It means the world to me *sniff* :’)
Muffinmom wrote:I'm going to need similar willpower tonight in order to avoid the open bag of chocolate chips in my pantry ->(that I opened over the weekend)<-

If I could do it, you can do it, too- just imagine how great it will feel to tell us you overcame your temptation! :lol:
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby JodieO » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:51 pm

kelbel75 wrote:I actually prefer my pop flat, I know I'm a weirdo :roll: and I think it is the sugar that I crave :? these juice seltzers sound like a healthy alternative tho, so I might try making them 8-) as long as it tastes good, I'm all for it; but my palette was raised on preservatives & sugar, it drives my BFF crazy! she's trying to lobby for stricter food labeling & the prevention of genetically modified seed, etc. but I'm all like "as long as it tastes good, I don't care what the hell it is actually made out of; & their adding vitamins to it, which can only help me!" :oops: :P

You've got that right, Sister. EWWWWW!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 pm

kelbel75 wrote:AMY: I need your help! I've finally come to the point where I'm willing to try and cut back on my pop/soda consumption; it's where the majority of my calories are coming from (thank you food journal ;) ) how are you doing with your quest in this area? any tips you can give me? like, should I ween myself off slowly, or just rip the band-aid off quickly? :shock: I drink one can of caffeine-free Pepsi everyday, and some days I add in Ginger Ale or Sprite as well :|

I have been a fail this past week. But the one thing I have been good at is my lack of pop and lots of water. My husband drinks about 4 pops a day and always wnats pop around so that part kind of sucks. And I was drinking diet pops but I heard that they can be just as bad (?). SO the cheap side of me said that water is cheaper so that helps. Also the time I lost weight I really cut back my pop.

Now when I treat myself, it is a REAL pop, full of 140 delicious calories....but only once a week (twice this past week).

I love Pepsi...and Coke....and Ginger Ale (flat) and Sprite (not flat). And root beer and Mr. Pibb. And Squirt. AND Strawberry Crush!!!

Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby Muffinmom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 am

I used to LIVE on Diet Coke. When I decided to kick the habit, I just stuck to plain water, seltzer water (I missed the bubbly fizz), and decaf tea/coffee. At the beginning its HARD - I took this to mean I was addicted and needed to 'detox' from the soda - what i mean is, I don't have withdrawals from, say, apple juice, why should I feel this way about Diet Coke?

After a while, your body is going to literally FEEL cleaner - and when you *do* drink pop, it will probably taste too sweet (it now does for me). Hang in there, keep reminding yourself that its for your health!!

My next challenge will be to limit my coffee/ seltzer intake since it can leach calcium off your body. One battle at a time!

On a separate note - last night was a stinker. To summarize - bad food night and bad sleep. Image Boring details here:
I did GREAT all day - ate well & worked out - until after dinner. Mega munchies hit - the kind that's hard to ignore cuz I feel I'm going to DIE if I don't eat a bit of junk. The Muffin & Muffindad got into a mega discussion that had us all going to bed super late. Image. Then I woke up at 4am with MORE munchies. And then Muffin came into our bed making it harder for me to get back to sleep.

TODAY I can't do my workout due to a lunch meeting, will try and do something when I get home, hoping I can find the time since I've got a crockpot dinner today. Here's to a better day today!Image

And just b/c I need some pretty in my life, here's some for you too - please share some!! (this is where I miss BB - hope she's doing ok...Image)

Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby JodieO » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:16 pm

kelbel75 wrote:I actually prefer my pop flat, I know I'm a weirdo :roll: and I think it is the sugar that I crave :? these juice seltzers sound like a healthy alternative tho, so I might try making them 8-) as long as it tastes good, I'm all for it; but my palette was raised on preservatives & sugar, it drives my BFF crazy! she's trying to lobby for stricter food labeling & the prevention of genetically modified seed, etc. but I'm all like "as long as it tastes good, I don't care what the hell it is actually made out of; & their adding vitamins to it, which can only help me!" :oops: :P

I was also raised on such things as Hamburger Helper and super sugary cereals and kool-aid, so I can relate. I'm trying hard to keep processed foods to a minimum, though because studies are starting to come out about how much they can fuck over your body. That's not to say that they aren't delicious... (guiltily eyes the empty Pop Tarts wrapper in her trash) but I do believe that we have a right to be properly informed about what is in our food. As it is now the food industry can make all kinds of bogus labels and claims for their products and there are lots of terrifying ingredients that they don't have to properly identify. I may not always make the best choice that I could, but I would at least like the opportunity to make an informed choice.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Our boy is currently down under....with DEAN!!!!!!

picking up a dropped camera for a fan?

last summer...

Word on the street is that BB has had Bronchitis and will join us when she feels better and catches up on RL.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:06 pm

amynkansas wrote:Our boy is currently down under....with DEAN!!!!!!

Word on the street is that BB has had Bronchitis and will join us when she feels better and catches up on RL.

This is one of the greatest photos taken of anyone ever alive or dead.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

JodieO wrote:

I was also raised on such things as Hamburger Helper and super sugary cereals and kool-aid, so I can relate. I'm trying hard to keep processed foods to a minimum, though because studies are starting to come out about how much they can fuck over your body. That's not to say that they aren't delicious... (guiltily eyes the empty Pop Tarts wrapper in her trash) but I do believe that we have a right to be properly informed about what is in our food. As it is now the food industry can make all kinds of bogus labels and claims for their products and there are lots of terrifying ingredients that they don't have to properly identify. I may not always make the best choice that I could, but I would at least like the opportunity to make an informed choice.

yes, I agree that food labeling needs to be changed so that we have the correct info in order to be able to make our personal choices :geek: I'm really picky about the meat that I consume (I'm not a vegetarian or anything, I'm just weird about textures :roll: ) but I'll be honest, altho I quit eating veal in High School once I found out what it was & how it was raised, etc., it would take A LOT to deter me from eating a McDonald's cheeseburger...I love them, i don't know why but I do :oops: (actually one of the main reasons is b/c they're thin; I hate a thick burger :? )
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:07 pm

amynkansas wrote:picking up a dropped camera for a fan?

I hope he wasn't the one to drop the camera :? I've not seen this pic before tho, and I like it, for obvious reasons :P
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby amynkansas » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:50 pm

kelbel75 wrote:

I hope he wasn't the one to drop the camera :? I've not seen this pic before tho, and I like it, for obvious reasons :P

I would have to rethink my love for him if he dropped my camera....but since I always use the neck strap I don't see that as a problem. And the fact that I never leave Kansas and he never visits Kansas, I think my camera and continued fondness for him are both safe.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:56 pm

amynkansas wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:

I would have to rethink my love for him if he dropped my camera....but since I always use the neck strap I don't see that as a problem. And the fact that I never leave Kansas and he never visits Kansas, I think my camera and continued fondness for him are both safe.

just noticed he's wearing his Vans with a suit :P
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
JodieO wrote:

yes, I agree that food labeling needs to be changed so that we have the correct info in order to be able to make our personal choices :geek: I'm really picky about the meat that I consume (I'm not a vegetarian or anything, I'm just weird about textures :roll: ) but I'll be honest, altho I quit eating veal in High School once I found out what it was & how it was raised, etc., it would take A LOT to deter me from eating a McDonald's cheeseburger...I love them, i don't know why but I do :oops: (actually one of the main reasons is b/c they're thin; I hate a thick burger :? )

That's not what she said :D

Kelby can you send me the link for your entertainment forum again. My stupid thing updated to Jellybean and I lost all my bookmarks :(
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:34 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:Kelby can you send me the link for your entertainment forum again. My stupid thing updated to Jellybean and I lost all my bookmarks :(

wait, I have another forum? :P I've been so distracted w/Richard Armitage, I kind of forgot about it :lol: seriously tho, I'm not sure I'm going to keep it up; only a handful have joined & no one's really posting *shrugs* I just wanted to do it to see if I could, ya know? it was fun setting it up, at least :)
http://entertainmentaddicts.proboards.com/index.cgi
kelbel75
Craft Services

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Biggest Loser