Go to footer

Irrevocably in love with...getting healthy!

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: Irrevocably in love with...getting healthy!

Postby amynkansas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:06 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:Man, this place is a ghost town!!

So, it begs to ask:

IS THE CHALLENGE DEAD?

Still here, just....gettin fatter....actually I have been doing better with the challenge (now that it is just in my head instead on the 'puter' but mostly just trying not to stuff my face with all things bad...unless you count the 2 half price Cadbury eggs i ate yesterday.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby Muffinmom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:10 am

ImageImageImage

Yeah, I'd say its pretty dead. Barely anyone shows up here anymores... Image

And I'll be honest, I've been barely keeping up with my food - it feels like I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. I need to find time to study the books suggested earlier, plus think a bit/lot about what's worked, not worked, what could I try next etc.
I am still trying to keep up with the exercise at least, wish I could sneak more time for it , but I'm grateful for what I can do at least.

SO - next challenge THEORETICALLY starts next week. I vote for not starting a new "challenge" (i.e. tracking points etc), but perhaps we could agree on having a weekly personal improvement goal and check-in here on our progress?

Here's some sunshine to share with everyone... hope it brighten your day like it does mine! (sorry Jodes, I can't do RA but hope this works for ya):
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby JodieO » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 am

Muffinmom wrote:Here's some sunshine to share with everyone... hope it brighten your day like it does mine! (sorry Jodes, I can't do RA but hope this works for ya):

Meh. I'll take care of it. ;)

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 pm

i got a job today. i wil be photographing newborns in hospital. it is a commisson job which i am not thrilled about but i will only have to work 1 out og 5 weekends and they dont have a problem with my trip in may and the earliest i have to be at work in 9am and ....i need a job. So i'm happy.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:52 pm

amynkansas wrote:i got a job today. i wil be photographing newborns in hospital. it is a commisson job which i am not thrilled about but i will only have to work 1 out og 5 weekends and they dont have a problem with my trip in may and the earliest i have to be at work in 9am and ....i need a job. So i'm happy.

I'm going to pretend that by 'newborns' you really mean flowers, so YAY! Hooray for the new job!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 pm

JodieO wrote:
amynkansas wrote:i got a job today. i wil be photographing newborns in hospital. it is a commisson job which i am not thrilled about but i will only have to work 1 out og 5 weekends and they dont have a problem with my trip in may and the earliest i have to be at work in 9am and ....i need a job. So i'm happy.

I'm going to pretend that by 'newborns' you really mean flowers, so YAY! Hooray for the new job!

it's funny because even though i will be taking their photos they say to try not to touch them. have the parent do that for you. even better. newborns are all red and squishy...

Jodes. here are some newborns just for you

amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 pm

amynkansas wrote:
JodieO wrote:

it's funny because even though i will be taking their photos they say to try not to touch them. have the parent do that for you. even better. newborns are all red and squishy...

Jodes. here are some newborns just for you

Double yay! I'll take that one up front!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:55 am

I posted this in the daily as well since it seems this corner of the flat isn't as busy as it used to be, and I really want some trusted advice from you guys. Let me know if you've ever done this:

I have a *dumb* question for you all. Since we we sometimes talk about domesticated stuff here.
I just bought a couple new pillows. The labels say they are machine washable and have a symbol for gentle cycle/cold water. Never in all my years have ever heard of or attempted to put a pillow in a washing machine. The weekly steam clean in the dryer on high is one thing, but to actually put it in the washing machine?? Has anyone ever done this? Do they turn out all lumpy and soggy, and you can never quite get the stuffing to lay smoothly again? Do they get stinky? Do they take forever to dry afterwards? Do they yellow? Have you ever had the casing tear in the wash and end up with stuffing all over the place?

Ok, that's more than a question. But I'm just totally unfamiliar with a washable pillow and i need trusted advice. Putting pillows in the washing machine just seems so contrary to everything I've ever done.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby JodieO » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:38 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:I posted this in the daily as well since it seems this corner of the flat isn't as busy as it used to be, and I really want some trusted advice from you guys. Let me know if you've ever done this:

I have a *dumb* question for you all. Since we we sometimes talk about domesticated stuff here.
I just bought a couple new pillows. The labels say they are machine washable and have a symbol for gentle cycle/cold water. Never in all my years have ever heard of or attempted to put a pillow in a washing machine. The weekly steam clean in the dryer on high is one thing, but to actually put it in the washing machine?? Has anyone ever done this? Do they turn out all lumpy and soggy, and you can never quite get the stuffing to lay smoothly again? Do they get stinky? Do they take forever to dry afterwards? Do they yellow? Have you ever had the casing tear in the wash and end up with stuffing all over the place?

Ok, that's more than a question. But I'm just totally unfamiliar with a washable pillow and i need trusted advice. Putting pillows in the washing machine just seems so contrary to everything I've ever done.

I wash pillows regularly. Some get lumpy and some don't. A good way to try to keep them from getting lumpy and keep them fluffy is to run them through the dryer with some clean sneakers or tennis balls or something like that. I have had pillows with torn casings, but I've never had the fluff go anywhere.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby LCneiny » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:35 pm

HI! Yeah I've not been around as much as I'd like lately. Plus my vaca last week severely hurt my points possibility and so I stopped tracking :oops: :roll: :?

And I also figured since last week was bad, I couldn't treat myself this week :( Plus I bought a couple things on our trip up north so I figured that counts. Well ok I did buy a couple things on OpenSky last night - a water bottle with a twist-off bottom for fruit and other additions (mint! cucumber! lemon! yay!), a loose tea/coffee travel mug, seasnax seaweed snack food (super yummy) and Steve's paleo kits. So maybe that counts too even though I stopped tracking challenge points :)

Maybe for the next month or so we keep the thread open to encourage healthy eating, tips/tricks, and other things like that?? And then if there's interest we can do another 6-week challenge. How does that sound?

In other news, I belong to an online yoga community and they are doing an 8-day detox right now. It's so wonderful, there's TONS of yoga practices, recipes, and cleanse/detox information! I'm not being as strict as I should, but it's definitely helping information-wise. Anyone interested in getting some info? I can post some tips here.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby kelbel75 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:13 pm

this would be an enjoyable job, I think :D the babies just lay there like little blobs, and the parents are blissfully happy (or scared shitless :lol: )
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 pm

LCneiny wrote:HI! Yeah I've not been around as much as I'd like lately. Plus my vaca last week severely hurt my points possibility and so I stopped tracking :oops: :roll: :?

And I also figured since last week was bad, I couldn't treat myself this week :( Plus I bought a couple things on our trip up north so I figured that counts. Well ok I did buy a couple things on OpenSky last night - a water bottle with a twist-off bottom for fruit and other additions (mint! cucumber! lemon! yay!), a loose tea/coffee travel mug, seasnax seaweed snack food (super yummy) and Steve's paleo kits. So maybe that counts too even though I stopped tracking challenge points :)

Maybe for the next month or so we keep the thread open to encourage healthy eating, tips/tricks, and other things like that?? And then if there's interest we can do another 6-week challenge. How does that sound? I LIKE THIS

In other news, I belong to an online yoga community and they are doing an 8-day detox right now. It's so wonderful, there's TONS of yoga practices, recipes, and cleanse/detox information! I'm not being as strict as I should, but it's definitely helping information-wise. Anyone interested in getting some info? I can post some tips here. Yes, Info please! I could use something like this!

HI LC! Hope you had a fab vacation! Agreed on keeping the thread open, and would love to hear about this detox/yoga thing you're doing.
This is day 4 of no wheat. Cravings have decreased dramatically (pretty much gone by today), appetite is also lower (ie normal). Been working out about 5 days a week. So I'm going to worry more about the 'health' aspect than the 'weight loss' aspect of things until I can get myself all stabilized (so that detox info would come in handy right about now!)

What's everyone else up to?
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby Muffinmom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 am

Anyone else planning to do Treasure Mapping? STARTS TODAY!! Image

Here's some links for inspiration...
about 2013 TM: http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/2013/01/prepping-for-your-2013-treasure-map.html

How to do TM: http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/2009/03/treasure-maps-thursday-march-26-1205pm.html

Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Muffinmom wrote:Anyone else planning to do Treasure Mapping? STARTS TODAY!! Image

about 2013 TM: http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/2013/01/prepping-for-your-2013-treasure-map.html

How to do TM: http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/2009/03/treasure-maps-thursday-march-26-1205pm.html

Neat!
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby amynkansas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Muffinmom wrote:Anyone else planning to do Treasure Mapping? STARTS TODAY!! Image

I like this idea!!!! and i love collages! and magazines!
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:43 am

http://www.pgeveryday.ca/article/benefi ... newsletter

/benefits-of-water-how-to-incorporate-more-water-into-your-diet
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby amynkansas » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:55 pm

i watched an interesting program on PBS a couple nights ago. it was about how exercise effects your body and they had real life experiments that actually SHOWED you how it effects your body.

I don't know whether this will air in your area or not but look for it. Not only was it educational, it was entertaining...just like you gals!!!

The Truth About Exercise with Michael Mosley

Duration: 0:56:46

Description: Whether you're running, swimming, cycling or hula hooping, we have always been told that doing regular exercise will improve our bodies and is one of the keys to a healthy and happy life. Our one-size-fits-all approach to maintaining an active, healthy lifestyle is very rarely questioned, but with recent advances in genetic testing technology and brain stimulation techniques, scientists are uncovering the new and surprising truths about what exercise is really doing to our bodies, and why we all respond to it differently. In this program, Michael Mosley uses himself as a human guinea pig to discover the truth about exercise

Here is a link to some of his videos from the program

http://video.pbs.org/video/2364989581
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby amynkansas » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:42 am

4 book BOOKS that I had on hold became available yesterday. And one audiobook. I have been reading for the past 5 hours. And I think I should just read all weekend (my DH is out of town until Monday night)
This may be a reading fantasy come true.....

And because one of you may ask...
Easy by Tammara Webber YA (almost done with it....reminds me of a pretty good FF..... Swoon worthy guy.... Angst.)
Just One Day by Gayle Forman YA
This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith YA
Lost By Michael Robotham
and the audiobook is FLight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:54 am

amynkansas wrote:4 book BOOKS that I had on hold became available yesterday. And one audiobook. I have been reading for the past 5 hours. And I think I should just read all weekend (my DH is out of town until Monday night)
This may be a reading fantasy come true.....

And because one of you may ask...

Just One Day by Gayle Forman YA

That reminds me of One Day by David Nicholls. I read it a year or so ago. I though it was pretty good (and not to mention the first book I managed to read cover to cover PT - post Twilight).

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6280118-one-day

A few weeks ago I found myself in a bookstore and was determined not to browse (cuz if I did I'd spend spend spend - cuz I'm like a kid in a candystore when it comes to bookstores). Anyway, while I waited for Mr.Abs to do his browsing I coincidentally found myself standing next to the bargain table. I picked up three books, only one of which I've read so far. And it was rather good; The Colour of Teaby Hannah Tunnicliffe

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1359 ... our-of-tea

The other two I have yet to crack open, but might do so today cuz Kansas, that sounds like a fab-o idea, are Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9751 ... mer-rental

And Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht. I'm going to devour this one next me thinks

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9351 ... -and-honey
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby amynkansas » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:32 am

i stayed up late and finished my book. But I have decided that I will get some stuff mailed and exchange a couple items at Kohl's and get some groceries (baked Chicken tonight). Then I will watch the last 2 epis of The Walking Dead and then read some more. Good day is good.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby amynkansas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:48 am

i want to summarize the exercise show i watched...

your genes may be different from everyone elses. For some, doing 30 seconds of INTENSE exercise is all you need (like an exercise bike at the FASTEST you can possibly go) Do this 4 times a day within a few minutes of eachother. That's 2 minutes of working out a day. Do this at least 3 times a week. Doing this tells your muscles that it needs to get rid of the sugar in your blood increasing your insulin production lessening your chances of getting diabetes. Plus your oxygen levels will increase. which is increasing your VO2 (aerobic capacity). The guy who did the show, had a gene test which was going to show him if he is a non-responder to exercise which is what happened to him. But his insulin did get better. But this test also told him that no matter how much he exercises it will never be enough. But exercise no matter what, will decrease the fat in your blood which will lessen your chances of other health risks like strokes and heart attacks.

Another thing he did was changed his NEAT. (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) this would be your everyday activites. He burned an extra 500 calories A DAY by walking up the stairs instead of taking the lift. He paced while on the phone and stood while watching TV and just tried to keep moving during his day. And if you are goignt o walk somewhere, pick up the pace a bit. Sitting is BAD!!!!! Never go more than an hour sitting. get up and move.

Im not sure if i did an adequate job of relaying all the points but you should try the 2 minutes a day of INTENSE exercise, especaially if you are having a hard time fitting in longer periods of exercise in. ALthough he didn't give other suggestions of intense exercise I am guessing that running or running on a treadmill for 30 seconds would be the same. They had him do it on a exercise bike because they gave it to him to bring to his home and it was small enough to fit in his van and to keep in his livingroom. He also had friends or family members helping him keep track of the 30 seconds and to keep pushing him through the 30 seconds.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby amynkansas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 pm

a friend is one person short for their beach volleyball game tonight. I volunteered. I hope I don't hurt myself...or others.

today I went for a walk..but then my ipod ran out of power after 30 minutes so i went home.
then i laid out on my deck and read for a bit trying to get some sun (trying to help low vitamin D levels). I only stayed out for about 15 minutes with shorts and a tank top.

I'm tired but I'm going to try and push through it and NOT nap. I need to shave my legs... at least from the knees down....thank you capris!

ooxx
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby absolutelyvlc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:42 am

beach volleyball, laying on the deck, tank tops and shorts and capris!!??
Jealous, party of one, right here :(
Imma go find a sweater to *bury my head in* wear today :(

absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 am

I just realized the other day that I only have one month left until my kids are on summer vacation :o my anxiety levels have been rising ever since this revelation :shock:

exercise wise I've been taking the "keep moving" mantra to heart since last week, especially when I'm watching tv. I usually eat lunch and then watch something on netflix for an hour, during that hour I've been lifting hand weights or just moving my hips; when my kids were babies they always needed rocking, so I would just stand in front of the tv & sway in a figure eight with my hips, it was soothing to both of us :D so that's what I've been doing when on the phone, chopping things in the kitchen, folding clothes, etc. and I've started using my weird yard sale find contraption again, it's this thing that looks like a cross between a camping cot & an air-lift stretcher that bends in the middle :? it works the abs, thighs, & back muscles without a whole lot of effort 8-)

unfortunately I'm back to drinking pop everyday :|
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby amynkansas » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:beach volleyball, laying on the deck, tank tops and shorts and capris!!??
Jealous, party of one, right here :(
Imma go find a sweater to *bury my head in* wear today :(

even though beach volleyball makes you think warm, it was 58 degrees and rainy. but during the day it WAS sunny and warm so I needed to take it while it was there.
What's the weather like up north right now?

I am not a Doors fan but I do miss your music fridays or whatever day you used to post sutff.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Daily Chats