Go to footer

Holiday Hootenanny

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: Holiday Hootenanny

Postby guitargirl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:17 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:
guitargirl wrote:OK question (possibly a stupid one) for you ladies across the pond.

I know that you guys can't legally drink until you are 21, and the age of consent for sex varies depending on where you live, but at what age are you considered an adult?

Here in the UK we can have sex at 16, and can both drink and vote from the age of 18. Therefore we are considered an adult, and at 18 years old I was definitely treated like an adult and made my own decisions. Here, after a person has turned 18, schools have to contact the student if they are not happy with progress, and not the parents.

Firstly THIS article about the teen suing her parents confuses me.
http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1709440

Her dad refers to her as a child ('we have a child and we want her home') yet she has turned 18. Also, in Twilight, Charlie grounds Bella after she has turned 18 (which I always thought odd) and in many recent YA books the parents often lay down the law (and often ground or make demands) to what I would consider an adult.

I was wondering whether I'd assumed that our 'coming of age' was the same when in fact it may not be. Can someone please enlighten me?

Ugh that selfish beyotch. Personally if my kid were 18 and left home they'd be cut off. I really, really hope that this does not get ruled in her favor.

As a non-parent my opinion may be off, but I consider anyone over 18 an adult. However, so many people that age still live at home with their parents that I do think the parents have the right to say "my house, my rules". That's just common courtesy IMO. And if you don't like the rules, get the eff out and get a damn job and pay your own way.

I agree. So it's the same both sides of the Atlantic then really. My parents didn't set any rules once I was 18, but I pitched in with the chores and paid my way so there was never any problems. This girl sounds like an entitled madam doesn't she? I was just confused as he referred to her as a child and thought it may have been 21. Thanks! :D :D
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby guitargirl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Muffinmom wrote:GG, to answer your question, technically you're an Imageadult" Image at 18, however you can still be dependent on your parents/ guardians thru your college years. At 18, you can legally vote, and you can join the military, and can live on your own. That's always bugged me - at 18 you're old enough to die for your country but not to drink. Image

What that girl is doing is pretty selfish however to me it also reflect very poorly on the parents ie what kind of values did they teach her? If they spoil her rotten while she's growing up, whaddaya expect she's going to be like as an "adult"? Those parents need to grow up too!

Yeah, if they treat her like a spoiled 10 year old then she is probably going to act like one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby Muffinmom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:23 pm

MEANWHILE, this happened...
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby dancing_echoes » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Muffinmom wrote:MEANWHILE, this happened...

At least he doesn't have those horrible ear covers on in that shot! Those are the bane of my winter season, along with those silly knit headbands with a flower on them. :? :D
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Location: On Facebook, "investigating" the Britpack's whereabouts

Postby JodieO » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 pm

guitargirl wrote:I agree. So it's the same both sides of the Atlantic then really. My parents didn't set any rules once I was 18, but I pitched in with the chores and paid my way so there was never any problems. This girl sounds like an entitled madam doesn't she? I was just confused as he referred to her as a child and thought it may have been 21. Thanks! :D :D

It's kind of a tricky area. The Irresponsibles were 18 and 20 when then got married and I was all "Jesus they are just kids!" although technically they were adults. BUT at the same time they were grumbling about having to get jobs to support themselves and I told them if they were going to play grown-up they were going to have to act grown up and learn to juggle work, kid, and social life just like everyone else because they wanted someone to take care of everything for them while they partied at night and slept all day. So it's fuzzy.

But that girl does sound like a C U Next Tuesday. If she wants to go to college and her parents can't or won't pay for it, she's going to have to suck it up and do it herself.

This reminds me of a woman I used to work with named Bonnie who told me off for doing my laundry at my parents' house. Because I was 'stealing' their water and putting wear and tear on their machines and *gasp* using their detergent! Mind you, my parents used to call me up and be all "Make sure you bring your laundry when you come up!" But Bonnie believed that once you were out, you were OUT. Her oldest son had moved out and gone over to the house to visit, but no one was home, so he let himself in with the spare key and made a sandwich while he waited. She hit the roof because he 'broke in' and 'stole food' and had all the locks changed. I think that's a bit strict...
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:33 pm

i wish it were more like the UK (Europe too?) over here. But I guess it's all in the upbringing...We never did make our kids pay rent after they finished high school but DID expect them to pitch in, clean up their own stuff, etc. Some days they did this better than others. I don't mind if either of them bring their laundry or grab a snack while visiting. I still like "taking care of them" when it's possible (and convenient).
Both of my kids moved out as soon as they turned 18 because they didn't like all the rules. But when they moved out they had to leave the keys to the car they had been driving and the cell phone we paid for. 'You think being an adult if fun....just you wait." was our motto. they both ended up having to move back in.
But we still pay for medical stuff and health insurance for them (if they need treatment, medical or dental,we pick up the bill at this point)
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby BakingNath » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:15 pm

amynkansas wrote:i wish it were more like the UK (Europe too?) over here. But I guess it's all in the upbringing...We never did make our kids pay rent after they finished high school but DID expect them to pitch in, clean up their own stuff, etc. Some days they did this better than others. I don't mind if either of them bring their laundry or grab a snack while visiting. I still like "taking care of them" when it's possible (and convenient).
Both of my kids moved out as soon as they turned 18 because they didn't like all the rules. But when they moved out they had to leave the keys to the car they had been driving and the cell phone we paid for. 'You think being an adult if fun....just you wait." was our motto. they both ended up having to move back in.
But we still pay for medical stuff and health insurance for them (if they need treatment, medical or dental,we pick up the bill at this point)

In France you re legally an adult at 18... but it is in the law that the parents have the obligation to support their children until they re able to provide for themselves... as well as children have a legally obligation to support their parents in case they cannot do themselves (i think there s an age limit on that one but i am not sure)
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby amynkansas » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:36 pm

BakingNath wrote:
amynkansas wrote:i wish it were more like the UK (Europe too?) over here. But I guess it's all in the upbringing...We never did make our kids pay rent after they finished high school but DID expect them to pitch in, clean up their own stuff, etc. Some days they did this better than others. I don't mind if either of them bring their laundry or grab a snack while visiting. I still like "taking care of them" when it's possible (and convenient).

In France you re legally an adult at 18... but it is in the law that the parents have the obligation to support their children until they re able to provide for themselves... as well as children have a legally obligation to support their parents in case they cannot do themselves (i think there s an age limit on that one but i am not sure)

are their many people who file for a suit to have a child or parent help them out or is that done outside the system Meaning: do most folks do the right thing or are they forced to? I am so sick of all the stuff that people feel entitled to in the States. Law suits all over the place.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby dancing_echoes » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 pm

BakingNath wrote:

wow, i would never have gotten a job if that was the case! :lol:

i love my parents, but the 9 months i lived at home after college were looooong. i had a 3 hour plus round trip commute into the city every day then had to come home to them bickering. i worked 3 jobs in those 9 months so i could afford to move to brooklyn. i clearly should have just been lazy and let them pick up the bills as long as possible! ;)
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes

Postby BakingNath » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:02 am

amynkansas wrote:
BakingNath wrote:

are their many people who file for a suit to have a child or parent help them out or is that done outside the system Meaning: do most folks do the right thing or are they forced to? I am so sick of all the stuff that people feel entitled to in the States. Law suits all over the place.

I dont think the children suing parents for support is that frequent.. and if it happened, they could only sue for food and rooming support, so i don t think tuition would be in the ruling, and the ruling would be only inb proportion of what the parents can afford.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:41 am

Happy Birthday to JodieO!! :D

Image Image Image Image
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:49 am

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:09 am

I haven't written a post in here for awhile, my brain froze and I forgot how to do it for a moment! :P my daughter and I caught the stupid influenza last week. I should have listened to my father and got the flu shot, but I had to be stubborn :roll: now I just feel wiped out, no energy at all (even less than usual, I should say ;) )

speaking of parents and this whole "suing for tuition" nonsense :roll: I lived at home for 3 years after High School, and then got married and moved out when I was 21. I had a part-time job, still did all of my household chores, while my mom still did my laundry b/c she's weird and actually likes doing it (she says it's calming :? ) I didn't have to pay rent or food, and my parents paid my car insurance as long as I was considerate and pulled my weight, etc. once I left home, I've never had to move back, though I know I could if I ever needed to (and I would really have to need to, b/c living with my parents as an adult would drive me absolutely nutty!! :shock: )

this girl suing for tuition, I don't understand how it's even made it to trial. she's an adult, whether she acts like one or not is not the law's problem :roll: so your parents are mean and aren't giving you the money you thought you were going to get for college? what makes you so special? get a job, apply for assistance, quit acting like a spoiled brat :ugeek:
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:11 am

Kelbel – getting a flu shot is no guarantee that you will not get the flu, just that you will not get a specific strain of the flu.

JODIEO – Have a happy day!! I think you’ll enjoy these, specially picked for you…

In case you don’t have plans tonight…

Uh, oh, someone forgot something!

SO instead of a present, here’s some eye candy to wrap up the day…

Enjoy!! Image
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby dancing_echoes » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 am

BakingNath wrote:
amynkansas wrote:
BakingNath wrote:

I dont think the children suing parents for support is that frequent.. and if it happened, they could only sue for food and rooming support, so i don t think tuition would be in the ruling, and the ruling would be only inb proportion of what the parents can afford.

Having thought about this more, I do think that her parents should finish paying for her last year of high school. They sent her to a pricey private school and I don't think they should pull the plug just because they want her to stop dating some guy they don't like. However, I don't think they should have to pay for her college. She's on her own for that.

At any rate, the judge ruled against her yesterday. I imagine the irresponsible lawyer (her best friend's father no less) will file for appeal.
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes

Postby dancing_echoes » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:27 am

I'm having "Jackson before he married a stripper" nostalgia today.... :?

Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes

Postby guitargirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:14 pm

JodieO wrote:
guitargirl wrote:I agree. So it's the same both sides of the Atlantic then really. My parents didn't set any rules once I was 18, but I pitched in with the chores and paid my way so there was never any problems. This girl sounds like an entitled madam doesn't she? I was just confused as he referred to her as a child and thought it may have been 21. Thanks! :D :D

It's kind of a tricky area. The Irresponsibles were 18 and 20 when then got married and I was all "Jesus they are just kids!" although technically they were adults. BUT at the same time they were grumbling about having to get jobs to support themselves and I told them if they were going to play grown-up they were going to have to act grown up and learn to juggle work, kid, and social life just like everyone else because they wanted someone to take care of everything for them while they partied at night and slept all day. So it's fuzzy.

But that girl does sound like a C U Next Tuesday. If she wants to go to college and her parents can't or won't pay for it, she's going to have to suck it up and do it herself.

This reminds me of a woman I used to work with named Bonnie who told me off for doing my laundry at my parents' house. Because I was 'stealing' their water and putting wear and tear on their machines and *gasp* using their detergent! Mind you, my parents used to call me up and be all "Make sure you bring your laundry when you come up!" But Bonnie believed that once you were out, you were OUT. Her oldest son had moved out and gone over to the house to visit, but no one was home, so he let himself in with the spare key and made a sandwich while he waited. She hit the roof because he 'broke in' and 'stole food' and had all the locks changed. I think that's a bit strict...

Seriously? :shock: :shock: :shock: Bloody hell that's a bit extreme! Once I'd left home my Mum and Dad were always so excited when i visited that they couldn't do enough for me. Favourite food, the whole kit and caboodle. :lol: :lol:
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby guitargirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JODIEO!!!!!

What have you got planned? :D :D
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby guitargirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm

kelbel75 wrote:I haven't written a post in here for awhile, my brain froze and I forgot how to do it for a moment! :P my daughter and I caught the stupid influenza last week. I should have listened to my father and got the flu shot, but I had to be stubborn :roll: now I just feel wiped out, no energy at all (even less than usual, I should say ;) )

speaking of parents and this whole "suing for tuition" nonsense :roll: I lived at home for 3 years after High School, and then got married and moved out when I was 21. I had a part-time job, still did all of my household chores, while my mom still did my laundry b/c she's weird and actually likes doing it (she says it's calming :? ) I didn't have to pay rent or food, and my parents paid my car insurance as long as I was considerate and pulled my weight, etc. once I left home, I've never had to move back, though I know I could if I ever needed to (and I would really have to need to, b/c living with my parents as an adult would drive me absolutely nutty!! :shock: )

this girl suing for tuition, I don't understand how it's even made it to trial. she's an adult, whether she acts like one or not is not the law's problem :roll: so your parents are mean and aren't giving you the money you thought you were going to get for college? what makes you so special? get a job, apply for assistance, quit acting like a spoiled brat :ugeek:

You have been missed kel. Hope you feel better soon.
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby guitargirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:I'm having "Jackson before he married a stripper" nostalgia today.... :?

I love the fact that Jacksper looks like he has his own identity. I much prefer these photos than the ones with Ron wearing a side parting and overcoat. I know it's for a role but he just looks old before his time. *slaps dead mojo* :lol: :lol:
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby JodieO » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:15 pm

guitargirl wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY JODIEO!!!!!

Thanks, GG!

I'm at home heating up my back injury because I'm OLD.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:15 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:I'm having "Jackson before he married a stripper" nostalgia today.... :?

I love this Jackson.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Muffinmom wrote:Uh, oh, someone forgot something!

I FORGIVE YOU, MR. THORNTON!

Thanks, MM!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:20 pm

kelbel75 wrote:Happy Birthday to JodieO!! :D

Image Image Image Image

I just spent a good amount of time boo-hooing over videos of Guinness because that seemed like a good way to spend a birthday :roll: :roll: :roll: but I think I spent an even longer time staring gap-mouthed at these gifs.

Thanks! Hope you are feeling better!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby guitargirl » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:21 am

JodieO wrote:
guitargirl wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY JODIEO!!!!!

Thanks, GG!

I'm at home heating up my back injury because I'm OLD.

Oh no!!!! I guess I should keep up to date with Twitter but I guess I prefer to chat rather than just comment. (I have virtually nothing of interest to tweet that would interest anyone.) However, I DO miss the important stuff by not checking in there. How did you injure yourself?
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat