Go to footer

What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the malts

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby obava » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:39 am

Muffinmom wrote:In other news, I just started reading Outlander, mainly because of this guy:

but don't worry I still haven't forgotten about you, RP!

All of this. I <3 all of this!
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:51 am

MMom- I was thinking of you yesterday- I hope you are feeling fine & they got everything taken care of!

Jodes- I'm sorry you feel like people are getting down on you for your decision to not keep Big Fella. From what I've seen on Twitter, it seems like people are trying to be supportive by telling you it will work out betwixt the 2 felines. But you're the only one who lives with these cats, and you're the only one who has to live with your decision. I absolutely believe that if a pet isn't right for you or your situation, give them the chance to be with the right family. We weren't the first or even second family that Spartacus has had, but we are absolutely the right one and I'm grateful that other families gave us the chance to finally be together. You can do that for BF :D

I am not doing very well. This diet as brought out unhealthy food issues with me- obsessing about food, not eating and then eating huge amounts of all the thing, terrible guilt and shame. I think I need therapy and soon- I see no other way out of this :(

Today is my appointment for possible (POSSIBLE) root canal/tooth removal. I'm terrified but pretending I'm not so maybe I'll fake myself out. And maybe I won't even need any work done on the tooth!!
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby Muffinmom » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Procedure went without incident, now I need to wait for results. But at least I feel fine. Yesterday was a weird day, recovering from the anesthesia! Taking today to finish recovering and just have a day to myself, which I’m really enjoying! Funny, my doc is not Dr C but he might as well by – he’s a very handsome sweetheart, can’t complain! Thanks for all the well-wishes!

Amy – I would be eternally grateful if you hook me up with audio copies of the outlander books!!!! Would looooove to listen to these while commuting! And if you can’t that’s fine too.

Jodes – hope life is calming down for you, you’re having too much excitement of the wrong kind! Good luck with the new kitties, I’m totally jealous. Hope you found a new home for the 2nd kitty? I think that makes the most sense for all involved – kitty and you both will be happier I think.

Obava – how’d you survive your mom? Glad you liked my pics ;)
Regarding all the emotions coming out from the dieting – GOOD TO HEAR! Better out than in, as Shrek says!! I have a suggestion if you’re open to podcasts - http://podcasts.personallifemedia.com/p ... eight-loss I listened to her podcasts a couple of yrs ago and they helped tremendously with my self image and mental issues regarding weight loss. Highly recommended.

Well, today since I’m home I’m going to work hard on creating my food plans for the next few months – research what I think supports me, plan menus, etc. Wish me luck!

Here’s a little something to get Friday started right… enjoy!
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby amynkansas » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Glad to hear all went well with your procedure yesterday MM. I think the easiest thing for me to do is put the books on a Flash drive and send it to you. I will get on that this weekend. I hope to have you join in my newly found fondness for Jamie...and Claire.... but mostly Jamie.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Despite some rather icky things involving my DD and that all hell is about to break loose and doom (aka possible jail) to follow, I am in great spirits today.

The week has been so busy at work but as a favor for co-worker, I worked today (my usual day off) and my co-worker said she would take my Monday and Tuesday shifts as a thank you. (can you say 4 day weekend?!) Well, it was a short, profitable day and I am already home.

I had to tell a (rather picky) client that I had lost most of her son's senior photos in the "Great Hard Drive Crash of New Years Day" and she took it well. We scheduled to reshoot a few of them tomorrow morning but I just got off the phone with her and she wants to do them in the afternoon instead of at the butt crack of dawn, so I get to sleep in tomorrow (which is one of my favor things to do).

My DH will be home in a few hours after being gone for 6 days and he is not annoying me currently, so I will be happy to see him.

My house is clean(ish) and I am planning of salmon burgers for dinner tonight.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:20 pm

I don't know about you lot, but I've had the most shiteous week. I need some music guaranteed to make me smile.
ETA: Woot woot! I fixed my youtube issues!!

ETA: Grrrrr, I can't get any of my links to work properly. Will fix later. Gotta run now.
Last edited by absolutelyvlc on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby JodieO » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 pm

obava wrote:Jodes- I'm sorry you feel like people are getting down on you for your decision to not keep Big Fella. From what I've seen on Twitter, it seems like people are trying to be supportive by telling you it will work out betwixt the 2 felines. But you're the only one who lives with these cats, and you're the only one who has to live with your decision. I absolutely believe that if a pet isn't right for you or your situation, give them the chance to be with the right family. We weren't the first or even second family that Spartacus has had, but we are absolutely the right one and I'm grateful that other families gave us the chance to finally be together. You can do that for BF :D

I am not doing very well. This diet as brought out unhealthy food issues with me- obsessing about food, not eating and then eating huge amounts of all the thing, terrible guilt and shame. I think I need therapy and soon- I see no other way out of this :(

MOST people have been fairly supportive even if they don't agree with my assessment of the situation, but there are some (like my bestie :? ) who flat out told me that I'm not being fair to him and that even if he isn't completely happy at my house at least it's better than being at the shelter. And yes, life on my couch might be better to life in a cage, but I hate to think that I'm robbing him of an opportunity for a place where he'll be happy just because I feel guilty. But I am asking pretty much every person I know if they can think of anyone who would give him a good home. Most of the people I work with are older men, so I was hoping some of their elderly wives or wives friends would want a kitty to spoil now that all their kids are out of the house. So even if I don't find him a new home I'm not sure I could take him back to the shelter and leave it up to chance that he'd get a good home and not another shitty one. I don't want to be one more person who failed him. And the situation really isn't fair to her, either. Though he must have said something really mean to her this morning because instead of ignoring him when he's snarling like she normally does she spun around and smashed him across the face. And truth be told, I don't think he even likes me that much. So there's that, too.

What is the diet that you are on? No grains? What are you eating that is making you feel guilt or shame and WHY is it making you feel this way?

I'm sorry you actually did have to get a root canal, but I'm glad you had a nice dentist. That always helps make a bad situation better.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:I don't know about you lot, but I've had the most shiteous week. I need some music guaranteed to make me smile.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mz_EXHKGHs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPMoAb4y8U&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREppyQf5uw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdfZnWsps34&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcwqCmEi9Jc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vTEstU1MRk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

ETA: Grrrrr, I can't get any of my links to work properly. Will fix later. Gotta run now.

I tried to fix them and couldn't get them to work, either. :?
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby obava » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:57 pm

"My Root Canal" by Obava

I had a root canal a few years ago and the experience was awful. The dr spent an hour & a half (at least) trying to get my tooth numb. She would shoot a bunch of shots into it, leave for 20 minutes or so, then come back & start drilling at which point I would scream, ad the process would start all over again. Finally she told me she couldn't give me any more anesthetic and she couldn't wait either- we had to get this done. Between the pain, the stress, the hot light in my face, the plastic bib around my neck and over my whole torso, the dr on one side (she kept trapping and pulling my hair on accident), the assistant on the other, the rubber dam in my mouth, the drilling vibrations in my head, the smell of my burning tooth, and the fact that my iPod that was stuck on a children's album- I had an anxiety attack. I got claustrophobic and hot and dizzy and sweaty shaky and thought I was going to throw up. The thought of throwing up with the dam in my mouth made it even worse. I indicated I needed a break and the dr was a bitch about it- she said I could take a minute but that she really needed to finish. She totally acted like I was inconveniencing her. She didn't talk to me except when she had to- she and her assistant talked over my face about their vacations and office gossip and stuff. The root canal itself took about 2 hours, all of which I spent with my mouth as wide open as it could get (this was the last molar on top). I have TMJ so holding my jaws open for that long was excruciating- I had pain for days. When I got home, I looked at my gum in the mirror and on the outside surface I counted over 20 black pinpricks where I had shots in my gum- there were at least that many or more on the inside. The dr didn't send me home with any pain meds or antibiotics, but by the next day I knew I needed both. Apparently, this is called having a "hot tooth"- where the infection affects the nerves so the nerves don't react to anesthetic normally. And this tooth that was supposed to be dead hurt for months afterward. I even had to start having anti-anxiety medicine to go to the dentist for a regular cleaning.

So when I was told I would possibly have to have a root canal again, I was scared. But this time I had a different dr and told him what happened before. This guy was GREAT- he explained to me what he was going to do, he shot me full of a bunch of anesthetic to get me numb the first time, and he was very kind and gentle and patient. Every few minutes he asked how I was doing. Because of my TMJ, he put a soft "block" in my jaw that relieved some of the pressure of keeping my mouth open so wide for so long. At one point, he asked how I was and I told him the pulse in my stomach was doing weird things and I was shaking. He said "do you have hypothyroid?" I said yes, and he said he does too and for some reason the epinephrine (something in the shots) does that to us. Being told that it was a physical reaction to the shots and NOT the start of another panic attack was enough to keep me from freaking out. He got an ice pack and held it to my cheek. I told him I could hold it but he said "I like to move it around a bit- I think it helps" so we sat there for about 5 minutes while he gently held the ice pack to my cheek, then my other cheek, then my forehead. I felt so taken care of- it was lovely. And he didn't start again until I said I was ready. This dr also said nice things like my teeth and gums looked really healthy, that I did a great job holding my mouth open so much so for long- little things, but they did make me feel good. Such a different experience than the other one!

I'm feeling ok today- I'm having some nausea from the pain meds or antibiotics, but haven't thrown up (yet). Even though the pain meds aren't helping 100%, I think I'll try to stick to over-the-counter stuff. Throwing up my antibiotics wouldn't be good.

Thanks for letting me vent/share! xoxo O
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby JodieO » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:04 pm

amynkansas wrote:Despite some rather icky things involving my DD and that all hell is about to break loose and doom (aka possible jail) to follow, I am in great spirits today.

I'm not sure if I knew this was going on again. I'm sorry you are going through this. =(
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:24 pm

obava wrote:"My Root Canal" by Obava

Thanks for letting me vent/share! xoxo O

That's sound terrible!!! the first dentist needs to find a new occupation. A procedure without being numb?! THAT'S CRAZY!!!
My son and I have the same problem as the nerve that they need to put the shot in, is not in the "normal" place. after several procedures, we now know where it is. And it is noted in my chart.
Sometimes it would take him an hour or so to get it in the right spot, but he always waited until he found it. He makes sure it is numb with a pick, not a drill and uses a "block" so that IT holds my mouth open, and not my jaw doing the work. I love my dentist.

I am so glad you had a better experience.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby amynkansas » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:25 pm

JodieO wrote:
absolutelyvlc wrote:I don't know about you lot, but I've had the most shiteous week. I need some music guaranteed to make me smile.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mz_EXHKGHs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPMoAb4y8U&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREppyQf5uw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdfZnWsps34&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcwqCmEi9Jc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vTEstU1MRk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

I tried to fix them and couldn't get them to work, either. :?

I tried too.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:12 pm

I've tried a few things to get those youtube vids to work and I've had zero luck. Sorry ladies.

After reading Obava's story about the dentist, JodieOs story about the cat dilemma, and ready Kansas' update (despite your good spirits - which I'm glad for) I feel like I need a stiff drink!!
Last edited by absolutelyvlc on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Week 11: (March 24 – March 30) Edward took Bella to the meadow in March. It was something new for him, he took a risk and their love blossomed. Let’s follow Edward's lead and take a risk. Try something this week that scares you. It can be saying something to someone you’ve always wanted to say, getting up on stage and singing at your local coffee house’s open mic night, skydiving, swimming with sharks, watching an episode of The Walking Dead with all the lights out. Eating Brussels Sprouts. You decide.
You get all 7 points when you try 1 new thing.
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby amynkansas » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:48 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:Week 11: (March 24 – March 30) Edward took Bella to the meadow in March. It was something new for him, he took a risk and their love blossomed. Let’s follow Edward's lead and take a risk. Try something this week that scares you. It can be saying something to someone you’ve always wanted to say, getting up on stage and singing at your local coffee house’s open mic night, skydiving, swimming with sharks, watching an episode of The Walking Dead with all the lights out. Eating Brussels Sprouts. You decide.

I will NOT be skydiving. Ever.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:00 pm

amynkansas wrote:
absolutelyvlc wrote:Week 11: (March 24 – March 30) Edward took Bella to the meadow in March. It was something new for him, he took a risk and their love blossomed. Let’s follow Edward's lead and take a risk. Try something this week that scares you. It can be saying something to someone you’ve always wanted to say, getting up on stage and singing at your local coffee house’s open mic night, skydiving, swimming with sharks, watching an episode of The Walking Dead with all the lights out. Eating Brussels Sprouts. You decide.

I will NOT be skydiving. Ever.

I would LOVE to! But those jumpsuits with all those straps on a fat girl? Not a good look.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby absolutelyvlc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:04 am

I HAVE jumped out of a plane.
Once was enough.
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby obava » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 am

MMom- Hope you spent the weekend recovering & doing well!
Jodes- How're those kittehs doing?
Amy- I'm sorry whatever is going on with DD is going on, but I must say I am very impressed with your attitude about it! Sounds like you have a healthy outlook about it all!
Abs- How was that stiff drink?? ;)

WHERE'S EVERYBODY ELSE????

Hmm a new scary thing? I am not feeling brave right now- I feel like I used up all my fear-fighting bravery last week :lol: I'll have to think about this one.

Happy Monday, Flatties! :D
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby Muffinmom » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 am

Amy – OMG, sorry to hear about your DD issues.. hope they resolve, soon, in the best possible way for everyone. ♥
Got your email about Outlander, sent you one back, LMK what’s easier for you! And, I love you!!

Obava – so sorry to hear you had to have a root canal, but thrilled that your dentist was so gentle. Hopefully your mouth is healing ok!

Moi – pretty much back to normal though that anesthesia did a number on me, even yesterday I kept feeling tired. Eh. Hoping that starting a workout tomorrow will jumpstart my system and get me back to a normal sleep pattern.

Regarding this week’s challenge… I’m totally drawing a blank. EECk!
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby amynkansas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:12 pm

obava wrote:MMom- Hope you spent the weekend recovering & doing well!
Jodes- How're those kittehs doing?
Amy- I'm sorry whatever is going on with DD is going on, but I must say I am very impressed with your attitude about it! Sounds like you have a healthy outlook about it all!
Abs- How was that stiff drink?? ;)

WHERE'S EVERYBODY ELSE????

Hmm a new scary thing? I am not feeling brave right now- I feel like I used up all my fear-fighting bravery last week :lol: I'll have to think about this one.

Happy Monday, Flatties! :D

I agree that I am not feeling very brave. As far as my attitude is concerned, I have had enough therapy to (almost) fully understand what I can control and what I can't. Constantly worrying about the latter only wastes precious energy. I also use distraction (thank you Outlander books, reading your Twitter posts and The Flat and it's occupants) to get me through. Oh, and my favorite... denial. God bless denial. ;)
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby amynkansas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Dear Crafty People (or non-crafty people who might KNOW crafty people)
I have 2 sets of red fake suede drapes and I want to paint them to fit in with my new bedroom colors (yet to be determined... but definitely not red). But I don't want them to be all stiff (TWSS). I really don't want to have to spend $80+ on new curtains. Do we know if this will work? I would add fabric paint medium to the paint. I thought I would just use some wall paint that I have left over and tint it to make it a totally free endeavor. But if it doesn't work out, I will have to go out immediately and get new curtains/drapes and I don't really want to do that.
And every time I have gone to the Goodwill store to find some fake suede curtains to practice on, there aren't any...

Thoughts?
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby BakingNath » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:12 pm

Good evening everyone !
Today was tired monday... Since the week before last i have been under lots of pressure by a customer and even by a customer support coworker (i am NOT in customer support team.. but i only do that).. So i did long days at work, being involved and so on..
And friday i was so exhausted that i spent the beginning of the evening crying.. (i watched HP7-1 as a good distraction)
So week end was spent resting (i even skipped a "salsa evening" saturday).. and deciding i need to take a step back and take care of myself) and today i feel i havent rested at all (maybe it is because of AF who "arrived" yesterday)

On another notice, today s WW weighing result is that i lost 6.8kg (=15 lbs) since start of january (almost 3 months)... i am getting closer to weights i havent "seen" in a loooong time... and i feel really excited !

Sorry Ammy, i cannot help you.. i am not crafty.. at all !!!
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby amynkansas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:03 pm

BakingNath wrote:Good evening everyone !
Today was tired monday... Since the week before last i have been under lots of pressure by a customer and even by a customer support coworker (i am NOT in customer support team.. but i only do that).. So i did long days at work, being involved and so on..
And friday i was so exhausted that i spent the beginning of the evening crying.. (i watched HP7-1 as a good distraction)
So week end was spent resting (i even skipped a "salsa evening" saturday).. and deciding i need to take a step back and take care of myself) and today i feel i havent rested at all (maybe it is because of AF who "arrived" yesterday)

On another notice, today s WW weighing result is that i lost 6.8kg (=15 lbs) since start of january (almost 3 months)... i am getting closer to weights i havent "seen" in a loooong time... and i feel really excited !

Sorry about the sucky work week but HOLLA on the weight loss and the watching of HP!!! I love that your hard work is paying off and you get to see your efforts on the scale (sometimes it's nice to see those numbers go down)

I have been struggling with exercising because when I'm at work I am on my feet the ENTIRE day. On most days the only time I sit is during my lunch break and I rarely take lunch breaks. So at the end of the day the last thing I want to do is walk or dance or anything. But I am NOT a morning person either. I am working on getting some better work shoes.... Ones that don't make me want to get foot replacement surgery each day.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby absolutelyvlc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 am

interesting article about sniffing pear fragrance to make healthier eating choices

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/healthy ... 00743.html
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby absolutelyvlc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:05 am

BakingNath wrote:Good evening everyone !

WOOOOOT!!! YOU GO GIRL. 6.5KGs - I think that's amazing!! Sorry about the stressful work week. I"m feeling a lot of the same this side of "The Pond" so I can relate........

amynkansas wrote:Sorry about the sucky work week but HOLLA on the weight loss and the watching of HP!!! I love that your hard work is paying off and you get to see your efforts on the scale (sometimes it's nice to see those numbers go down)

I have been struggling with exercising because when I'm at work I am on my feet the ENTIRE day. On most days the only time I sit is during my lunch break and I rarely take lunch breaks. So at the end of the day the last thing I want to do is walk or dance or anything. But I am NOT a morning person either. I am working on getting some better work shoes.... Ones that don't make me want to get foot replacement surgery each day.

......I can also relate to this. I spend all of my day on my feet with the exception of my lunch break as well. I try to remember that standing is healthier than sitting all day. But by the time I get home some nights all I want to do, lit-rally, is take a shower and crawl into bed.
I've been pretty shit at keeping up the healthy living these last couple weeks. Work stress is ....well, stressing me out. So I reach for the french fries instead of the steamed veggies, and haven't been putting in an acceptable effort when I'm exercising either. Which of course makes me feel bad about my behaviour, and that stresses me out even more. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I MUST GET BACK INTO A HEALTHY LIFE PATTERN!!!
I feel like we all need a good hug. So I'm sending you all virtual squeezes.
Ryan wants a hug too

Let's all try to go out and make today special.
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby obava » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:04 am

Maybe this week's WC should be to take care of ourselves- it sounds like we're all feeling a bit raw and in need of TLC right now. I know I do- went to the dentist yesterday because my tooth still hurts a lot. After grinding it down some more (which he does EVERY TIME I'm in his office- I think he's OCD about it) and making it hurt so bad, he said there's nothing he can do about the pain and I am going to have to deal with it. I left his office and was crying so hard, I had to pull over to the side of the road. Then a lady started standing in her doorway to watch me which pissed me off more so I drove further down the block and cried harder. Went back to work with swollen eyes that I couldn't get to stop being weepy :cry:

Work is also very stressful right now, and I wish I could hide under the covers for the rest of the week.
obava
Twilosophy Major

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat