Go to footer

What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the malts

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby SeattleLisa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 pm

mandaliz wrote:
JodieO wrote:I haven't found the book, so I'm guessing I got rid of it, so I'll try to come up with some random ones from time to time. Like now!

Five things to be happy about:

1. Kitty purrs.
2. Cracking the spine of a new book.
3. Fresh, crisp sheets.
4. Bear hugs.
5. Funny gifs.

Yes! This list made me smile so thank you!

Here's my list:
1. petting burros
2. reading the Immortals After Dark Series by Kresley Cole
3. knowing I'll probably never get over Edward Cullen
4. riding my bike and going further than I thought I could
5. reconnecting with old friends
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby SeattleLisa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Welcome, G.G. & Alex---So glad you're joining us!

Obava sent out word that she's desperately trying to hold onto her no sugar commitment. I'm going to do this with her in solidarity until Sunday, which will be her 21st sugar free day. This will help me since this weekend Hubby is going to visit his family and being home alone for that much time often spells out B-I-N-G-E. I'm resisting!

Anyone else want to join us, maybe for even 1 day of no sugar?
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby amynkansas » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:13 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:Welcome, G.G. & Alex---So glad you're joining us!

Obava sent out word that she's desperately trying to hold onto her no sugar commitment. I'm going to do this with her in solidarity until Sunday, which will be her 21st sugar free day. This will help me since this weekend Hubby is going to visit his family and being home alone for that much time often spells out B-I-N-G-E. I'm resisting!

is this sugar in any form and in any kind of food? I need to know the details. Like can you have ketchup? that sort of thing.

My happy thoughts:
Reading in general-(i need a good book to start- any rec's? I'll even take FF)
Me being healthier (and thinner)
anything Twilight (still)
my couch blanket nest
homemade fried chicken
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby SeattleLisa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:43 pm

amynkansas wrote:
SeattleLisa wrote:Welcome, G.G. & Alex---So glad you're joining us!

is this sugar in any form and in any kind of food? I need to know the details. Like can you have ketchup? that sort of thing.

My happy thoughts:
Reading in general-(i need a good book to start- any rec's? I'll even take FF)
Me being healthier (and thinner)
anything Twilight (still)
my couch blanket nest
homemade fried chicken

Here's a book rec for you, "A Hunger Like No Other" by Kresley Cole.

Here is the small amount of sugar I'll allowing myself in my No (really LESS) Sugar Quest with Obava. I'm allowing myself 1 TB of agave for my smoothies but I'll see if I can lower that to 1/2 Tb by Sunday. I'm also allowing myself balsamic vinegar on my salads.

But no ketchup, or worse for me, no BBQ sauce. And of course, none of the usual suspects like cake, pie, ice cream, etc and NO nightly 2 Twilight chocolate squares that Hubby keeps stashed for me, and that I normally allow myself.
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:18 pm

My happy thoughts:
My couch nest
My dog
Cooking new things
Outlander audio book
All the sugar I will get to eat again someday.

During my SOS call to Lisa today, she gave me homework: To write here why this sugar fast is important to me.

I decided to do this fast (with the encouragement of my naturopath) after realizing how much sugar I used to have on a daily basis. Here's one day:
honey in tea ALL DAMN DAY LONG
brown sugar in my oatmeal
white sugar in my coffee
butterscotch candy
hot chocolate
apple jacks
dark chocolate covered fruit
Tom & Jerry with rum

This is just the sugary stuff, not counting milk sugars in my yogurt or sugar in salad dressing or fruits & veg. And since we were trying to figure out what's wrong with my GI system, we both thought it would be interesting to see what it would be like if I abstained. I also knew that I would need sugar when I got stressed out, and that didn't seem healthy emotionally. Also, I wanted to see if I could do it. And if miraculous things happened, YAY! If not, I could maybe end up having a healthier relationship with my one true love. I mean, sugar. :?

This is all just an experiment I'm doing on myself, emotionally and physically. In the 16 days I've been sugar free, I've only had 2 bad days- today was one of them. I felt cold, tired, foggy, whiny, and grouchy and felt like hot chocolate would solve all of those problems in one easy cup. I also felt like I would get fired, quit my job, kill someone, and/or kill myself if I didn't get any chocolate.

Now how healthy is that???

Thanks to Lisa I DID IT ANYWAY (or rather, didn't do it anyway :D ) and am persevering in my quest.

I will say that in the two or so weeks I've been doing this, I feel like a bad ass for being able to do it at all! I have a crazy sweet tooth and it's nice to have some control. Also, my tastebuds have changed. When I started this and I thought about having coffee, I decided I would skip it because unsweetened coffee is nasty. hen I found myself at a coffee shop with a friend and there wasn't anything else I could have besides water. So I had a plain cappuccino and it was delish! My first non-sweetened cup of coffee since 1989, and I enjoyed it thoroughly- it tasted so good! Had I still been eating sugar, I never would have liked plain coffee.

Also, yogurt. Since yogurt is very important for my GI, I didn't want to stop eating it but also didn't want to eat plain yogurt (I can't have hardly any fruits to mix in). So I decided to do half plain and half honey or vanilla. It's now getting to the point where I can eat plain yogurt and enjoy it for what it is- tangy and creamy and yummy!!

So Lisa, do I get an A for this assignment?? ;)

Amy- if you want to join in on this, do it your way but be truthful with yourself. I didn't want to cut out fruit or juice or ketchup because I am getting so few calories as it is. Do you think you eat so much ketchup that it's a big contribution to your daily sugar intake? I don't, so I didn't exclude it. From what I've read, it seems like up to 25g of sugar a day is healthy. Maybe use that to guide you?
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:22 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:Here's a book rec for you, "A Hunger Like No Other" by Kresley Cole.

It cracks me up that this is the book you're into right now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:30 pm

amynkansas wrote: But I will need your help. I get way hungry between 2-5 pm. That is the worst time for me. Plus I am tired all of the time.

Amy- (I'm channeling my inner Lisa here)- what are your specific plans to combat the 2-5pm hungers? Let us know!

I am so happy for you, your family, and your DD that she is 20 months clean- that's incredible! And here I thought I was a bad ass for saying no to M&Ms :?
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby SeattleLisa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:38 pm

obava wrote:
SeattleLisa wrote:Here's a book rec for you, "A Hunger Like No Other" by Kresley Cole.

It cracks me up that this is the book you're into right now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know, right? :lol:

Yes, you get an "A" on your homework. :) Thank you for sharing.
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby SeattleLisa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:40 pm

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to bring this up. Who came up with the title of this thread? Amy? It's BRILLIANT and probably my favorite Health Challenge thread title, ever. Thanks for the laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby JodieO » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Funny gif of the day:

I like new socks, too, George!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 am

SeattleLisa wrote:Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to bring this up. Who came up with the title of this thread? Amy? It's BRILLIANT and probably my favorite Health Challenge thread title, ever. Thanks for the laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are the first person that even mentioned it. I thought it was hysterical (like i do with all of my own jokes). Do you know how many twilight quotes I went through before I saw that one and knew what to do with it?!! It was a long night.

Glad you enjoyed it!

amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby amynkansas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:27 am

obava wrote:
Amy- if you want to join in on this, do it your way but be truthful with yourself. I didn't want to cut out fruit or juice or ketchup because I am getting so few calories as it is. Do you think you eat so much ketchup that it's a big contribution to your daily sugar intake? I don't, so I didn't exclude it. From what I've read, it seems like up to 25g of sugar a day is healthy. Maybe use that to guide you?

I only brought up ketchup as an example of a food that had sugar in it but wasn't a dessert. it was the first thing that came to my mind. I don't know how you're doing it Obava. I broke down and had a diet pop this evening. It was like drinking heaven. I have missed pop. But I have been able to live without it which is empowering. I would really like to kick my sugar habit. I have the biggest sweet tooth and that is a major downfall for me.

I don't have a plan for my 2-5 cravings yet. I bought some grapes that I snacked on while i made dinner tonight and that helped a little. I didn't get home from work until 3:45 which also helped by me not being near food until then.

I have been eating lunch at work but only salads (and not the good salads ....with cheese and eggs and olives etc) but just spinach or other GREEN leaves with a tablespoon or 2 of dressing and about 5 croutons. Today I added grilled chicken and I wasn't able to finish the whole thing. But still only cost me $1.66 (best food for your buck ever!!) And I used to get pop but now i get (free) ice water. but I didn't exercise. Boo.

My brother works as a software/IT guy for the HCA and will be working at my hospital tomorrow. I hope to have lunch with him. He is also going to take my laptop home with him and try to recover my lost data and then he is going to install a new hard drive in it. I guess I will forgive him for all the wrestling holds he used to try out on me as a kid.
-----------------------------------
Cross your fingers that he can find my business tax information for the the year 2013, that he can recover Alexander and Evan's senior portraits and he can get back my Adobe Photoshop software.
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby mandaliz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:32 am

I found a pin on Pinterest that I thought I'd give it a try. You take a banana, smush it up really well, crack 2 eggs & mix with the eggs. Spray the griddle with a little cooking spray & cook the mix like pancakes. I also added a little cinnamon & no-calorie sweetener. It wasn't bad! Kinda tasted like banana pancakes. It's a good way to use up a browning banana that you don't want to eat straight up and is a good source of protein with the eggs. PLUS bananas & eggs are pretty cheap. So there ya go.

I think I am going to change the sleep point, since so much of it seems to be out of my control & I don't want to feel like I'm failing. Instead, for me it will be to do at least 15 of housework a day. My place gets out of control pretty quickly & I need to try to stay on top of it, especially since when I go back to work I will need to make time for it.
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby guitargirl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:42 am

Hi *waves*

Thanks for the welcome :D :D :D

Fantastic news about your daughter Amy, she's doing brilliantly. :D :D
To everyone cutting out sugar, well done!!!!! I am going to join in with you too, although |I feel a bit of a fraud as I don't take sugar in my drinks anyway. However, I shall cut out the small piece of Christmas cake (which is loaded with sugar, and BRANDY) and replace it with another piece of fruit, or some nuts as my snack. Yum, have I told you how much I love nuts (and not the hairy kind!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Things that make me happy
1. Champagne and sunshine
2. Brandy and looking at snow
3. Playing guitar, especially with Guitarboy and having a laugh.
4. Kisses and snugs
5. Letters and packages from overseas and a good book.

Yes I know that's more that five but I couldn't choose JUST five. :lol: :lol:

The title of this thread is fab, I love it. I'm finding the diet great, but I am struggling with drinking plain water, as that shit is nasty. :? I haven't done my exercise today either as I'm cleaning out the spare room and I've been hauling stuff up and down the stairs more times than I can count already today. :shock:

I'm already down a couple of pounds so Yay! :D :D :D
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby guitargirl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 am

mandaliz wrote:I found a pin on Pinterest that I thought I'd give it a try. You take a banana, smush it up really well, crack 2 eggs & mix with the eggs. Spray the griddle with a little cooking spray & cook the mix like pancakes. I also added a little cinnamon & no-calorie sweetener. It wasn't bad! Kinda tasted like banana pancakes. It's a good way to use up a browning banana that you don't want to eat straight up and is a good source of protein with the eggs. PLUS bananas & eggs are pretty cheap. So there ya go.

I think I am going to change the sleep point, since so much of it seems to be out of my control & I don't want to feel like I'm failing. Instead, for me it will be to do at least 15 of housework a day. My place gets out of control pretty quickly & I need to try to stay on top of it, especially since when I go back to work I will need to make time for it.

Dont wear yourself out Mand, you've not long had a baby. Get Mr Mand to do a bit more. :lol: :lol: :lol: I swear I spent the first 5 years of my kids lives just firefighting to keep the house from looking completely disgusting. :lol: :lol:

These pancakes sound lovely. A banana chopped and microwaved for 30 seconds then covered with natural yoghurt is also lovely. The banana goes really sweet when its warmed. Yum.
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby mandaliz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:01 am

guitargirl wrote: I haven't done my exercise today either as I'm cleaning out the spare room and I've been hauling stuff up and down the stairs more times than I can count already today. :shock:

I think that can count as burning some calories. People get on stairclimber machines to get a workout so climbing actual stairs works. Plus bending, lifting, reaching while you clean is organic, real life squats, weight lifting, etc.

Go you!
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby guitargirl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:12 am

mandaliz wrote:
guitargirl wrote: I haven't done my exercise today either as I'm cleaning out the spare room and I've been hauling stuff up and down the stairs more times than I can count already today. :shock:

I think that can count as burning some calories. People get on stairclimber machines to get a workout so climbing actual stairs works. Plus bending, lifting, reaching while you clean is organic, real life squats, weight lifting, etc.

Go you!

My friends boys are coming for a sleep over on Saturday so I needed to clear a bit of space so I could at least SEE the bed. :lol: It looks so much better! Next up is moving all the crap into the loft. Pert bum here I come!

TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby mandaliz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 am

Tomorrow could be a bit of a challenge for me for the challenge because I'm driving with baby to my hometown because my dad is having surgery tomorrow. He tore a muscle and/or tendon in his arm & has to have it repaired tomorrow. He's being put on general anesthesia which can sometimes be dangerous because of his heart issues (he had valve replacement surgery 6 years ago). I'm sure it will all be fine but extra good vibes would be nice, too, so please send healthy, healing vibes for my dad. Send some healthy choices vibe my way, too, while you're at it since I'll be in the hospital for most of the day, eating cafeteria food, trying not to stress eat. I will go for a walk with the dog in the morning before I go so I'll still get some stress-relieving exercise in but the rest of the day may challenge my ability to make good choices. Thanks in advance everyone!
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 am

guitargirl wrote:The title of this thread is fab, I love it. I'm finding the diet great, but I am struggling with drinking plain water, as that shit is nasty. :? I haven't done my exercise today either as I'm cleaning out the spare room and I've been hauling stuff up and down the stairs more times than I can count already today. :shock:

You are drinking unsweetened beverages, so you are staying hydrated without adding calories, which is the whole point. I think? Or if you really feel you MUST drink water maybe try it with a few orange slices in it? Or toss in some frozen berries?
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby guitargirl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:16 pm

JodieO wrote:
guitargirl wrote:The title of this thread is fab, I love it. I'm finding the diet great, but I am struggling with drinking plain water, as that shit is nasty. :? I haven't done my exercise today either as I'm cleaning out the spare room and I've been hauling stuff up and down the stairs more times than I can count already today. :shock:

You are drinking unsweetened beverages, so you are staying hydrated without adding calories, which is the whole point. I think? Or if you really feel you MUST drink water maybe try it with a few orange slices in it? Or toss in some frozen berries?

Frozen berries sound lovely. The glass of water I poured myself at lunch is still sat there. My interaction with it involves plenty of glaring, and nose wrinkling. :lol:
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby BakingNath » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Hello, My name is Nath,
I am French, single and working in embedded software programming. I love books and music : i play the violin in an orchestra and also take singing lessons with a group of coworkers. I am a fan of several TV series and try to go regularly to the movies. I am also the proud aunt of baby Elisa, recently turned 5 months
I have participated in a few challenges around 2012 during which i lost a bit a of weight, but everything went back after a while.
After Christmas, i decided to seriously do a diet because i had reached my highest weight ever before the holidays and i want to lose weight first for my health that could only be better with less kgs, second in order to be able to find more clothes that fit me and do not look like potato sacks in shops, third to be proud to have managed such long time and challenging project and in order to register in a few month on a dating website.
In order to achieve this goal, i registered to 3 months Weight Watchers Online program and started (last week) to follow their point counting program. Last week s result was great, this week s may be more of the "damage control" kind as i was ina 3 day work trip with colleagues during which we went twice to restaurants. The first time i managed to resist having a beer (in Belgium) but caved on the dessert, and the second time was pre ordered (with our opinion) meal and i did not resist the glass of Prosseco at the beginning. So starting this evening i am back to religiously follow the WW program.
Hence my Project for point 9 : I get 1 point if i manage during the day to "consum" the exact number of daily points i got without consuming my additional week "reserve"
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby guitargirl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm

BakingNath wrote:Hello, My name is Nath,
I am French, single and working in embedded software programming. I love books and music : i play the violin in an orchestra and also take singing lessons with a group of coworkers. I am a fan of several TV series and try to go regularly to the movies. I am also the proud aunt of baby Elisa, recently turned 5 months
I have participated in a few challenges around 2012 during which i lost a bit a of weight, but everything went back after a while.
After Christmas, i decided to seriously do a diet because i had reached my highest weight ever before the holidays and i want to lose weight first for my health that could only be better with less kgs, second in order to be able to find more clothes that fit me and do not look like potato sacks in shops, third to be proud to have managed such long time and challenging project and in order to register in a few month on a dating website.
In order to achieve this goal, i registered to 3 months Weight Watchers Online program and started (last week) to follow their point counting program. Last week s result was great, this week s may be more of the "damage control" kind as i was ina 3 day work trip with colleagues during which we went twice to restaurants. The first time i managed to resist having a beer (in Belgium) but caved on the dessert, and the second time was pre ordered (with our opinion) meal and i did not resist the glass of Prosseco at the beginning. So starting this evening i am back to religiously follow the WW program.
Hence my Project for point 9 : I get 1 point if i manage during the day to "consum" the exact number of daily points i got without consuming my additional week "reserve"

You forgot to mention how beautiful your accent is in real life. Elsie tanner, Diamondmask and I could have listened to you all day. :D
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby SeattleLisa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 am

Drive by post:

Wednesday Weigh: have lost 5 lbs since (2.27 kgs) since 1/1/14. I guess I took that to mean that tonight, due to work anxiety, (and HEY! I lost weight!) I could eat what amounted to about 4 servings of fried rice and 4 indiv pieces of Lindt Touch of SeaSalt chocolates (damn you, Gigi for introducing me to those!)

So, Day 1 and Obava, I have failed you. I guess that means SOMEONE has to buy SOMEONE some THING off Amazon! I will repeat this tomorrow. Day 2, I must earn 10 points and EAT NO SUGAR, no matter the stress, no matter the mandatory overtime I am now on at work. Or I pay the price.
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 am

SeattleLisa wrote:Drive by post:

Wednesday Weigh: have lost 5 lbs since (2.27 kgs) since 1/1/14. I guess I took that to mean that tonight, due to work anxiety, (and HEY! I lost weight!) I could eat what amounted to about 4 servings of fried rice and 4 indiv pieces of Lindt Touch of SeaSalt chocolates (damn you, Gigi for introducing me to those!)

So, Day 1 and Obava, I have failed you. I guess that means SOMEONE has to buy SOMEONE some THING off Amazon! I will repeat this tomorrow. Day 2, I must earn 10 points and EAT NO SUGAR, no matter the stress, no matter the mandatory overtime I am now on at work. Or I pay the price.

Woo hoo! Go you on the weight loss! Sorry about the stress eating but today is a new day and YOU CAN DO IT!

mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:00 am

Things that make me happy:

1. Snuggles with my daughter & husband (images spoilered for Jodie's sanity)

2. Drinking wine on the beach/lake/river over looking the water with friends & family

3. Reading good books, and even mediocre ones

4.The anticipation and excitement of waiting for upcoming book/movie (Holla The Fault in Our Stars movie & last book in the Unwind saga - Seriously, if you haven't read Unwind by Neal Shusterman then run to the library & get it!)

5. Browsing the stacks at the library. I love the smell & feel of the books, the look of the colors & shapes of the books lined up, and especially all the potential that lies in all those pages. SIGH.

6. The drive through window at the library for me to pick up books I've put on hold when I'm too strapped for time to be able to browse the stacks.

7. Chinese food, especially when delivered to my door.

8. Attending services at the church Mr M & I are joining.

9. The views in the park down the block from my apartment.

10. Last but not least, all the friends I've met here!
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat