Go to footer

What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the malts

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:23 am

Last night Mr M reeeeeeeeeeally wanted to order pizza so I got mine covered in yummy veggies & getting it thin crust saved me like 300 calories so while it was still indulgent, it was better than it could have been and I was able to end the day without eating all the calories I burned on my walk yesterday!

Image
Image

And I'm now down 3.6lbs!
Image
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby guitargirl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:22 am

SeattleLisa wrote:Drive by post:

Wednesday Weigh: have lost 5 lbs since (2.27 kgs) since 1/1/14. I guess I took that to mean that tonight, due to work anxiety, (and HEY! I lost weight!) I could eat what amounted to about 4 servings of fried rice and 4 indiv pieces of Lindt Touch of SeaSalt chocolates (damn you, Gigi for introducing me to those!)

So, Day 1 and Obava, I have failed you. I guess that means SOMEONE has to buy SOMEONE some THING off Amazon! I will repeat this tomorrow. Day 2, I must earn 10 points and EAT NO SUGAR, no matter the stress, no matter the mandatory overtime I am now on at work. Or I pay the price.


Yay for dropping 5 lbs!!!!! You'll be summer slim in no time. :D :D
TTFN
User avatar
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian
 
Posts: 7502
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 pm


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby amynkansas » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 pm

mandaliz wrote:
6. The drive through window at the library for me to pick up books I've put on hold when I'm too strapped for time to be able to browse the stacks.


I can put stuff on hold from my computer and it is on a shelf waiting for me.... but we do not have a fancy drive up window to check out stuff. You are really living the life out there on the east coast!!!
jealous.
Image
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
User avatar
amynkansas
Copstache Lover
 
Posts: 3505
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Kansas


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:46 pm

amynkansas wrote:
mandaliz wrote:
6. The drive through window at the library for me to pick up books I've put on hold when I'm too strapped for time to be able to browse the stacks.


I can put stuff on hold from my computer and it is on a shelf waiting for me.... but we do not have a fancy drive up window to check out stuff. You are really living the life out there on the east coast!!!
jealous.


We have 2 libraries in the county that have drive up windows but the rest are all "old fashioned" like yours where we have to go in for reserved books. It's ESPECIALLY wonderful when I don't want to haul the munchkin in & out of the car & all over the place. Chunky baby is heavy, especially with the added weight of her carrier! My muscles will be super strong with all the lifting of that thing. I'll be buff in no time!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Looks like I misread the Chipotle nutrition calculator on my phone & ordered a higher calorie dinner than I intended. Part of it is probably since I've been up since 4:30am and I have trouble making good food choices when I'm tired. Ah well, can't go back in time. I'll try to make time for a longer walk tomorrow & do my best to make better choices.

I'm starting therapy again tomorrow after about a decade. I'm glad I'm doing something good for myself since I really need this but I'm a little nervous. I'm also nervous that my trying to make better food choices tomorrow may be compromised by talking about emotional issues in therapy & I'll turn to comfort food when I get out of there, devouring like a dozen donuts by myself. I hope I can stay strong regarding the food. :?
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 pm

(takes a deep breath.....and.....post)

Hi. I’m Abs. And I’m here to live a healthier life. It’s only 4 days in to this Challenge, and I feel like I already am. Not only in terms of healthier eating and fitness, but also mentally. I’m not going to go into all the details (cuz we’d be here forever), but suffice it to say life has been kicking me in the ass since autumn 2012. Before that I was really lucky to have the right circumstances in my life to really truly find happiness, and be able to “live in the positive” (other phrases for this you may have heard are things like “live with gratitude” or “being thankful” or shit like that – but I don’t really like these phrases. To me they conjure up an image of some poor schlub, hat in hand going around all kow tow like, subservient to the generous powers that be. But I’ve always felt that the power for happiness comes from within. Happiness comes from the way we ourselves choose to perceive things…..anyway, I’m going off on a tangent here). In September 2012 I was 5 years in on a business endeavor that was meant to go places and take me to retirement. Then one day I was completely and totally blindsided by a duplicitous (read: douchcanoe) “colleague” and I lost my job, 5 years of work, and the future I was working towards. I do try to live by the motto of “no regrets”, so while I don’t regret this having happened, and I try to learn from it, and I know it was for the better (though I’m still looking for “the better” that it’s going to lead to) it really knocked all the wind out of my sails, not to mention a lot of my belief in the goodness of humanity out of my soul. And yes, a year and a half later I do still harbor some bitterness over it. But I am working on it. And I’m really trying to find my way back to “living in the positive”, and to find my belief in the goodness of humanity again. You know the old adage “once bitten, twice shy”? Well, that’s been my life for the past 16 months. Just as I’m starting to get back up on my feet some other horrible shiz goes down and knocks me right back down. Family, friends, work, finances…. something’s happened in each area of my life, month after month to just really f*ck with my brain. The last thing to happen was the passing of my kitty cat in December. It might not seem like a big deal to some, especially those that might not like cats – but he was my second best friend (Mr.Abs is my first of course) who had been with me for almost 19 years (that’s HALF MY LIFE!!!). He was with me through university, and so many different cities I’ve moved to, and he was like my baby. Losing him has been really hard. And on top of losing him I’m racked with the guilt of having “helped him find peace” as in I deliberately took him to the vet to have him put down. I did that. I know everyone says it’s more merciful to put a suffering animal out of their suffering. But I don’t know that I’ve ever really agreed with euthanasia. I’m not entirely convinced it isn’t murde r. Uuugh, I feel so stupid talking about this. Like what’s the big deal. But to me it is. It was. Maybe it won’t always be. But I’m not there yet. But in any case, reading your introductions made me feel not so alone. In a way it’s nice to know that there’s other people out there that I like and whom I value and respect that are dealing with their own crap, and who are sharing, and who are (maybe?) reading what I’m writing and maybe not feeling so alone themselves. So yeah, the Challenge rocks for that reason – along with so many others. I’ve done I-don’t-even-know-how-many-challenges so far, and coming on here and “hanging out” with you lot is one of the best parts of doing it every time! This Challenge, and really 2014 as a whole is going to rock too. Enough of this I say! I’m going to find my feet and get back up, and keep on going!!!
Since it’s kind of hard to quantify “living in the positive”, I’ve decided that for points sake my #9 is going to be to try something completely new to me at least once each calendar month in 2014 (even if the Challenge doesn’t go until December). It can be activity-based, or food-based, or relationship-based or ANYTHING. Just something NEW. I am challenging myself to do one BIG new thing, two medium new things or 4 small new things each month. Or all of the above. So my #9 points may not tabulate until month’s end (if I haven’t already done it earlier on in the month).
For January I have started taking archery lessons. It’s not something I’ve ever thought of or wanted to do. It’s not on my bucket list or anything. I just randomly decided it was going to be my new thing. And so now it is. I’ve only had one class so far – and I think it’s pretty much awesome :D
I also think this post is waaaaaaay too long. So Imma shut up now. Nice to meet you all :D Carry on. :D
Image
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
User avatar
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: The Great White North


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 pm

mandaliz wrote:Things that make me happy:

1. Snuggles with my daughter & husband (images spoilered for Jodie's sanity)
Image
Image
Image
Image


awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

mandaliz wrote:
2. Drinking wine on the beach/lake/river over looking the water with friends & family

3. Reading good books, and even mediocre ones

4.The anticipation and excitement of waiting for upcoming book/movie (Holla The Fault in Our Stars movie & last book in the Unwind saga - Seriously, if you haven't read Unwind by Neal Shusterman then run to the library & get it!)

5. Browsing the stacks at the library. I love the smell & feel of the books, the look of the colors & shapes of the books lined up, and especially all the potential that lies in all those pages. SIGH.

6. The drive through window at the library for me to pick up books I've put on hold when I'm too strapped for time to be able to browse the stacks.

7. Chinese food, especially when delivered to my door.

8. Attending services at the church Mr M & I are joining.

9. The views in the park down the block from my apartment.

10. Last but not least, all the friends I've met here!


your library has a drive-through window? That's just all kinds of cool.
Image
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
User avatar
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: The Great White North


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby absolutelyvlc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:40 pm

PS - uh, I swear a lot. :? at least I did in that post up there ↑

PPS - I am so bringing back the Friday Playlists. I'm glad you guys dig 'em. I'll try to be consistent in posting the links under the "tunes" tab in the google doc too - though I'm usually pretty crap at remembering to do that :?
Image
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
User avatar
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: The Great White North


Postby amynkansas » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Abs, I don't think the love and heartache you feel for your kitty/family member is inconsequential. I don't think you need to lose a animal to understand this...but maybe you do. (I have lost 2 pets in my life and it has been a rough haul through both of them) (I don't think I will touch the subject of euthanasia right now but I have had to do that once and it was no fun..but keeping my dog alive by spoon feeding her water and watching her starve to death made the decision seem like the right one)

----------Gushing alert!!!!!----------
I don't know how to explain how important all of you are to me. This "silly little on-line forum" has been one of the biggest blessings in my life. When I think of telling someone outside of this group it sounds pathetic.... (or does it seem pathetic to you guys too?) You guys are REAL friends of mine even though I haven't meet most of you. I would have never thought that possible 5 years ago. I look forward to popping on here everyday (no, I did not say "pooping")

How can you love people you have never met? but I do.
These challenges have given me more than healthy eating and exercising habits. They have given me a group of people that "get" me and support me, whether it's talking me into exercising even when I don't want to or for listening to me while I talk through my latest personal crisis. Even if there is nothing you can do, you do it when you make me laugh, or listen, or tell me it's going to be okay or share your own story. I feel so lucky to have you.

So Abs, I'm sorry for all the crap you have had to deal with but I'm so glad you are trying to find the bright side...even if it is only random moments during your day or week. Keep us posted on your archery and your other new things adventures.
You rock!
Image
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
User avatar
amynkansas
Copstache Lover
 
Posts: 3505
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Kansas


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby guitargirl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:PS - uh, I swear a lot. :? at least I did in that post up there ↑

PPS - I am so bringing back the Friday Playlists. I'm glad you guys dig 'em. I'll try to be consistent in posting the links under the "tunes" tab in the google doc too - though I'm usually pretty crap at remembering to do that :?


From one swearer to another *Mwah!* Aw Abs I'm sorry you've had such a rough time but good on you for taking up new things, that's brilliant. Sometimes our lives take us in directions we could never have envisaged and we may be hurt at the time and wonder why it has happened to us. However, Ive often looked back on things in later years and had a light bulb moment where I've thought 'Ah, that's why!' and I've actually been grateful that my life took a different path. I hope the same will be true for you. :)

I don't think you are at all daft for missing your furry friend. Love is love, and it doesn't matter whether the packaging is furry or not. It sounds like your kitty was lucky to have found such a lovely Mom. One that could recognize when it was time to end his suffering and give him peace whilst knowing he was loved. Huge hugs to you, as losing 'someone' you love is bloody rough. I hope 2014 is a much better year for you. :)
TTFN
User avatar
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian
 
Posts: 7502
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 pm


Re:

Postby guitargirl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 am

amynkansas wrote:Abs, I don't think the love and heartache you feel for your kitty/family member is inconsequential. I don't think you need to lose a animal to understand this...but maybe you do. (I have lost 2 pets in my life and it has been a rough haul through both of them) (I don't think I will touch the subject of euthanasia right now but I have had to do that once and it was no fun..but keeping my dog alive by spoon feeding her water and watching her starve to death made the decision seem like the right one)

----------Gushing alert!!!!!----------
I don't know how to explain how important all of you are to me. This "silly little on-line forum" has been one of the biggest blessings in my life. When I think of telling someone outside of this group it sounds pathetic.... (or does it seem pathetic to you guys too?) You guys are REAL friends of mine even though I haven't meet most of you. I would have never thought that possible 5 years ago. I look forward to popping on here everyday (no, I did not say "pooping")

How can you love people you have never met? but I do.
These challenges have given me more than healthy eating and exercising habits. They have given me a group of people that "get" me and support me, whether it's talking me into exercising even when I don't want to or for listening to me while I talk through my latest personal crisis. Even if there is nothing you can do, you do it when you make me laugh, or listen, or tell me it's going to be okay or share your own story. I feel so lucky to have you.

So Abs, I'm sorry for all the crap you have had to deal with but I'm so glad you are trying to find the bright side...even if it is only random moments during your day or week. Keep us posted on your archery and your other new things adventures.
You rock!


Aw Amy, we love you too. :D :D :D :D
TTFN
User avatar
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian
 
Posts: 7502
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 pm


Re:

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 am

amynkansas wrote:Abs, I don't think the love and heartache you feel for your kitty/family member is inconsequential. I don't think you need to lose a animal to understand this...but maybe you do. (I have lost 2 pets in my life and it has been a rough haul through both of them) (I don't think I will touch the subject of euthanasia right now but I have had to do that once and it was no fun..but keeping my dog alive by spoon feeding her water and watching her starve to death made the decision seem like the right one)

----------Gushing alert!!!!!----------
I don't know how to explain how important all of you are to me. This "silly little on-line forum" has been one of the biggest blessings in my life. When I think of telling someone outside of this group it sounds pathetic.... (or does it seem pathetic to you guys too?) You guys are REAL friends of mine even though I haven't meet most of you. I would have never thought that possible 5 years ago. I look forward to popping on here everyday (no, I did not say "pooping")

How can you love people you have never met? but I do.
These challenges have given me more than healthy eating and exercising habits. They have given me a group of people that "get" me and support me, whether it's talking me into exercising even when I don't want to or for listening to me while I talk through my latest personal crisis. Even if there is nothing you can do, you do it when you make me laugh, or listen, or tell me it's going to be okay or share your own story. I feel so lucky to have you.

So Abs, I'm sorry for all the crap you have had to deal with but I'm so glad you are trying to find the bright side...even if it is only random moments during your day or week. Keep us posted on your archery and your other new things adventures.
You rock!


THIS! So THIS! And then squared.

(not pathetic at all, Kansas. And if it is, then I'm proud to be pathetic) xoxo
Image
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
User avatar
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: The Great White North


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:05 am

guitargirl wrote:
absolutelyvlc wrote:PS - uh, I swear a lot. :? at least I did in that post up there ↑

PPS - I am so bringing back the Friday Playlists. I'm glad you guys dig 'em. I'll try to be consistent in posting the links under the "tunes" tab in the google doc too - though I'm usually pretty crap at remembering to do that :?


From one swearer to another *Mwah!* Aw Abs I'm sorry you've had such a rough time but good on you for taking up new things, that's brilliant. Sometimes our lives take us in directions we could never have envisaged and we may be hurt at the time and wonder why it has happened to us. However, Ive often looked back on things in later years and had a light bulb moment where I've thought 'Ah, that's why!' and I've actually been grateful that my life took a different path. I hope the same will be true for you. :)

I don't think you are at all daft for missing your furry friend. Love is love, and it doesn't matter whether the packaging is furry or not. It sounds like your kitty was lucky to have found such a lovely Mom. One that could recognize when it was time to end his suffering and give him peace whilst knowing he was loved. Huge hugs to you, as losing 'someone' you love is bloody rough. I hope 2014 is a much better year for you. :)


Thanks GG <3
Image
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
User avatar
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: The Great White North


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:06 am

[quote="absolutelyvlc"](takes a deep breath.....and.....post)

Hi. I’m Abs. And I’m here to live a healthier life. /quote]

I am so sorry things have been hard for you. I can sympathize with a lot of what you are going through. I, too, have had a really hard time with back-stabbing work people/situations. Also, it's never easy to lose a family member. While time does eventually helps you handle things you will always miss that individual. I lost my cat I'd had from the time I was 7 until 22 and while I do not mourn him daily, he is still in my heart and I miss him dearly. I love my current pets but they will never replace Motor nor should they. I am trying to make strives to handle all the shit I've been going through lately. I'm glad you are here and hope we can find a positive outlook on life all together.
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re:

Postby mandaliz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 am

amynkansas wrote:Abs, I don't think the love and heartache you feel for your kitty/family member is inconsequential. I don't think you need to lose a animal to understand this...but maybe you do. (I have lost 2 pets in my life and it has been a rough haul through both of them) (I don't think I will touch the subject of euthanasia right now but I have had to do that once and it was no fun..but keeping my dog alive by spoon feeding her water and watching her starve to death made the decision seem like the right one)

----------Gushing alert!!!!!----------
I don't know how to explain how important all of you are to me. This "silly little on-line forum" has been one of the biggest blessings in my life. When I think of telling someone outside of this group it sounds pathetic.... (or does it seem pathetic to you guys too?) You guys are REAL friends of mine even though I haven't meet most of you. I would have never thought that possible 5 years ago. I look forward to popping on here everyday (no, I did not say "pooping")

How can you love people you have never met? but I do.
These challenges have given me more than healthy eating and exercising habits. They have given me a group of people that "get" me and support me, whether it's talking me into exercising even when I don't want to or for listening to me while I talk through my latest personal crisis. Even if there is nothing you can do, you do it when you make me laugh, or listen, or tell me it's going to be okay or share your own story. I feel so lucky to have you.

So Abs, I'm sorry for all the crap you have had to deal with but I'm so glad you are trying to find the bright side...even if it is only random moments during your day or week. Keep us posted on your archery and your other new things adventures.
You rock!


This This This! All of it!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 am

I don't remember if I mentioned it on here or just in the daily thread but I've been fighting with my work about my hours when I go back. Last summer when Mr M and I picked a daycare for baby P I informed them that the daycare closed at 6pm so I could no longer work until 6pm obviously. They said no problem, we'll have you work until 5:30. Then 2 weeks ago they were all Nope, we never promised that and can't do it and refused to work with me on the issue at all. I told them I'd try to find a way to make it work in the short term but that I would have to start looking for another job that would acknowledge that I have to put my daughter 1st and respected the loyalty, hard work, and exceptional performance I've put in over the past almost 3 years I've worked there. Well they called me this morning about an opportunity that opened up at the other school they own where I'd be moved from the lead teacher in the toddler class with 16 to 24 month olds to a teacher in their pre-k class teaching 4 and 5 year olds. There I'd be able to get the hours I need and be able to really TEACH teach, applying what I learn in my grad school classes to the curriculum and use what I do in the classroom in my grad school work. While I loved working at the other school with many of the friends I made there & it always seemed like the teachers at the other school were a little on the unprofessional side, this seems like it'll be a good opportunity for me. I'm a little nervous about the unknown factors of it but it's closer to being what my experience with education is and good for my long term career goals. Plus I think it will be easier for me emotionally if I am working with older kids when I go back to school than little little ones where I feel guilty for putting P in daycare so I can take care of other peoples' babies. That's something positive that has come out of today for me. AND this school is practically across the street from the library so that's convenient.
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby JodieO » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 am

mandaliz wrote:I don't remember if I mentioned it on here or just in the daily thread but I've been fighting with my work about my hours when I go back. Last summer when Mr M and I picked a daycare for baby P I informed them that the daycare closed at 6pm so I could no longer work until 6pm obviously. They said no problem, we'll have you work until 5:30. Then 2 weeks ago they were all Nope, we never promised that and can't do it and refused to work with me on the issue at all. I told them I'd try to find a way to make it work in the short term but that I would have to start looking for another job that would acknowledge that I have to put my daughter 1st and respected the loyalty, hard work, and exceptional performance I've put in over the past almost 3 years I've worked there. Well they called me this morning about an opportunity that opened up at the other school they own where I'd be moved from the lead teacher in the toddler class with 16 to 24 month olds to a teacher in their pre-k class teaching 4 and 5 year olds. There I'd be able to get the hours I need and be able to really TEACH teach, applying what I learn in my grad school classes to the curriculum and use what I do in the classroom in my grad school work. While I loved working at the other school with many of the friends I made there & it always seemed like the teachers at the other school were a little on the unprofessional side, this seems like it'll be a good opportunity for me. I'm a little nervous about the unknown factors of it but it's closer to being what my experience with education is and good for my long term career goals. Plus I think it will be easier for me emotionally if I am working with older kids when I go back to school than little little ones where I feel guilty for putting P in daycare so I can take care of other peoples' babies. That's something positive that has come out of today for me. AND this school is practically across the street from the library so that's convenient.


YAAAAYYYY!!!! That's awesome! You go girl!
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16216
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby guitargirl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:25 pm

mandaliz wrote:I don't remember if I mentioned it on here or just in the daily thread but I've been fighting with my work about my hours when I go back. Last summer when Mr M and I picked a daycare for baby P I informed them that the daycare closed at 6pm so I could no longer work until 6pm obviously. They said no problem, we'll have you work until 5:30. Then 2 weeks ago they were all Nope, we never promised that and can't do it and refused to work with me on the issue at all. I told them I'd try to find a way to make it work in the short term but that I would have to start looking for another job that would acknowledge that I have to put my daughter 1st and respected the loyalty, hard work, and exceptional performance I've put in over the past almost 3 years I've worked there. Well they called me this morning about an opportunity that opened up at the other school they own where I'd be moved from the lead teacher in the toddler class with 16 to 24 month olds to a teacher in their pre-k class teaching 4 and 5 year olds. There I'd be able to get the hours I need and be able to really TEACH teach, applying what I learn in my grad school classes to the curriculum and use what I do in the classroom in my grad school work. While I loved working at the other school with many of the friends I made there & it always seemed like the teachers at the other school were a little on the unprofessional side, this seems like it'll be a good opportunity for me. I'm a little nervous about the unknown factors of it but it's closer to being what my experience with education is and good for my long term career goals. Plus I think it will be easier for me emotionally if I am working with older kids when I go back to school than little little ones where I feel guilty for putting P in daycare so I can take care of other peoples' babies. That's something positive that has come out of today for me. AND this school is practically across the street from the library so that's convenient.


Great news Mand!!!!!!
TTFN
User avatar
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian
 
Posts: 7502
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 pm


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby obava » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:54 pm

More homework from Lisa: Share some of the things I’ve out in my Good Things jar (gah I hate that that name reminds me of Martha Stewart but it’s the perfect name for my jar!).

    Beautiful sunrises and sunsets (sounds cheezy but here’s a pic a friend took of those particular ones- stunning and I felt blessed [but empowered!] to have been able to see both of them) http://twitpic.com/dsjv8x
    My dog when he gets home from the groomers- he’s so pretty and he smells like an old lady
    Getting by kid back after him being with his dad for a week
    Smexy dreams
    My couch nest (dog & cat included)
    Supportive supervisors
    Good friends

Day 19 of no sugar and I realized last night why this week has been so tough for me- I got my yeariod. No WONDER I’ve been hungry, dying for chocolate, grouchy, tired, etc etc! 8-)

The juicing is going OK- it does weird things to my already weird GI system, so I’m not sure if I’ll continue. If I could figure out which fruits/veg or combinations mess with me, I’d love to continue. We’ll see…

I’ve been keeping up with my bedtime stretches. They were fun the 1st day but now they’re boring and by the time I get home from work after 5, make dinner, clean up after dinner, check my email/FB/twitter, get the boy doing his homework, get him in the bath & brushing his teeth & PJs on, it’s 7pm (or past) and time to read and all I want to do is snuggle in bed. I don’t want to take the extra time to stretch but I’M DOING IT ANYWAY (tm) and I can tell a big difference already.

I’m so thrilled that some of you are already seeing positive changes- it’s a gift that keeps on giving, helping to keep you motivated!!

Nath- Thanks for the Google doc and congrats on your new niece! I’m so thrilled that you are going to try an online dating site- how exciting! You have to keep us posted on how it goes.

Jodie and Manda- are you remembering to take your meds??

Manda- I JUST SAW YOUR POST ABOUT YOUR NEW POSITION- HOLY CROW THAT IS AWESOME!!!! How has your new 15min housework point going? Did your dad’s surgery go OK? Did you do OK? I love the baby pics- keep ‘em coming! Mmmmmm pizza…*drools* Yay for starting therapy again! I’m sure your therapist can help you not food-comfort after sessions. Going to therapy again is also on my list of things to do, but with weekly naturopath appts, I don’t want to add another one just yet. I love that you had a cat named Motor :D

Alex- How’s the treadmill going? Did you get your Christmas ornaments put away?

Amy- How are the hospital workouts going? Your 2-5 hungries? Did you get the Christmas tree down yet? That SUUUUUUUCKS that your computer got all messed up! Was your brother able to salvage any of it? (PS get an external hard drive and back that sucker up at least daily!) Re: our friendships- I know exactly what you mean. I don’t think anyone who hasn’t experienced it can understand, so I don’t run around announcing to the world that my besties are online people whom I’ve never met before (excepting Lisa) because that will sound lame to someone who’s never known the joy of online friends

Guitar Girl- How are you doing this week? Still subbing fruit or nuts for Christmas cake? I love that pic you posted of the kitten & the bum!

GG & Manda- baked bananas are yummy! Just peel, put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for a bit. Honey or powdered sugar is really good on them. You know, for people who eat sugar :?

Lisa- Yes, you failed me. And I cried bitter tears of disappointment. No I didn’t :lol: - I know how hard this no sugar thing is but even more so I have some idea what kind of work stress you go through, and I really truly fucking hate your job and I can’t wait for the day you get a healthier job (which might be TUESDAY :D ). I’m certain you will be a healthier you- physically, mentally, and emotionally. No amount of money is worth what you deal with. So Thursday you committed to having a 10 point day- how did it go?

ABS! Darling, I had no idea things have been so tough with you. I feel like a shitty friend because I wasn’t there for you in your time of need. I’m glad you are back here with us and pleased you haven’t lost your motivation to make things better. I like your take on gratitude and being thankful- I had never thought of it that way- a very passive view of the world. In my field, there’s a theory called the Family Stress Theory (this also applies to individuals). It says that all families face stressors of all kinds (good and bad*), but not all families react the same way. Some families fall apart due to stress. The families that weather stress and come through even stronger are considered to be “resilient”- and one of the factors that makes a family resilient is them believing they have intrinsic power. This means that they don’t see their problems as being caused by entities outside of themselves which they can do nothing about- they see that they have the power within themselves to respond to and adapt to and adjust to stressful situations. Here is an interesting article on it, if anyone is interested in learning more: http://www2.nau.edu/~nur350-c/class/2_family/theory/lesson2-1-3.html
This is how I see your reaction to the “stress pileup” you’ve been facing these past few years- resilient and powerful! I’m so proud of you and also inspired by you. And archery- how fucking random and cool. Re: playlists- have you thought about creating playlists on Grooveshark (or some other playlist site) and then sharing the link with us here?

*We all know about negative stressors but positive stressors are things like having a new baby (holla Manda!), buying a new house, starting a new job (holla holla Manda!)- they are all positive things (hopefully!) but they are all still stressful. (An aside: My field doesn’t consider divorce a positive stressor, but in my experience it certainly has been!)

Can't wait to hear how everyone's week's been going. So tell me, what fun plans do you all have for the weekend? I have a huge to-do list, but I'd like for my kid & I to go to the coffee shop to spend some screen-free time. I'm also planning on visiting my little old lady friend for my socialization points this week. She's never met my dog and I think they would love each other :P

Another Good Thing to add to my jar- this post didn't disappear before I could submit it :lol:
User avatar
obava
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby JodieO » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:07 pm

obava wrote:Jodie and Manda- are you remembering to take your meds??

Can't wait to hear how everyone's week's been going. So tell me, what fun plans do you all have for the weekend? I have a huge to-do list, but I'd like for my kid & I to go to the coffee shop to spend some screen-free time. I'm also planning on visiting my little old lady friend for my socialization points this week. She's never met my dog and I think they would love each other :P


Uhhhrrrmmm... :? :? :?

I did not take my VitD pill last night. My belly was very gurgly and I think it was shaking a fist at me for all the veggies I've been eating this past week... It is not impressed AT ALL. Either that or the ham in my ham sandwiches is starting to go bad. :? OR the carrots really WERE poisoned.

My plan for tomorrow is to alternately clean and sleep and spend time with Guinness. I've barely cleaned or slept in the past two weeks because I've been sick and bot my apartment and I are showing it. Guinness has been pretty down since Marlowe passed away, but she's seemed even worse this past week, so I'm going to try to keep a close eye on her to make sure there isn't anything physically wrong. She's spending a lot less time in my lap and a lot more time in Marlowe's sick chair. :?

Sunday will be laundry, taco dinner with the bestie, a double header of Downton and then SHERLOCK!!

Image

Are you going to bring your little old lady friend some tea?
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16216
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby obava » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Jodie- I'm sorry your foods are making your belly angry. And I'm sorry kitteh isn't her happy ol self. Yay for tacos with friends and yay for TCB!

My little old lady friend has many food allergies, so I only bring her Wendy's, which is her fave :)

I forgot to post this: a smoothie with a good dose of tryptophan (makes us serotonin = happy, helps us sleep)

Blend:
2T creamy natural peanut butter
1/4C pumpkin seeds
1/2 milk
1/2 ripe banana
3 ice cubes
User avatar
obava
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby obava » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Also, I ordered* the stuff to make this:

http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2012/12/superfood-haute-chocolate/

Superfood Haute Chocolate
Serves 1
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
2 tsp. maca powder
1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
pinch sea salt
pinch cinnamon powder
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch ginger powder
small piece vanilla bean, scraped (optional)
1 ½ cups milk of your choice or water

Directions:
1. Boil water or warm milk on the stove and let cool slightly. If using raw nut milk, do not heat above 118°F/42°C.
2. Whisk in dry ingredients. Serve immediately with a cinnamon stick, if desired.

*Had to, since I JUST gave away my cacao nibs and coconut (spelled this is "cocunt", which is v different :? :lol: ) sugar :x
User avatar
obava
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:35 pm

obava wrote:
I’ve been keeping up with my bedtime stretches. They were fun the 1st day but now they’re boring.


Could you try rotating through different stretching routines so you aren't getting bored?

obava wrote:
Jodie and Manda- are you remembering to take your meds??

I am! Thanks for checking on me!

obava wrote: Manda- I JUST SAW YOUR POST ABOUT YOUR NEW POSITION- HOLY CROW THAT IS AWESOME!!!! How has your new 15min housework point going? Did your dad’s surgery go OK? Did you do OK? I love the baby pics- keep ‘em coming! Mmmmmm pizza…*drools* Yay for starting therapy again! I’m sure your therapist can help you not food-comfort after sessions. Going to therapy again is also on my list of things to do, but with weekly naturopath appts, I don’t want to add another one just yet. I love that you had a cat named Motor :D

Thanks! I hope the new position will be a good opportunity for me. The difficulties I was having with them was making start to question myself, that while I thought I was doing a great job, maybe they thought I was subpar. Them working to find a place for me & helping me to be able to do what I have to do to take care of my daughter makes me feel better, that maybe they actually do value my service and hard work. The 15 minutes of housework has been going well so far. Constitutes mostly loading & unloading the dishwasher, doing a load or 2 of laundry. (Though I haven't actually put any laundry away because that is the most loathsome chore to me. Maybe I should force myself to do that as part of my 15 minutes one of these days.) I'm glad you like the baby pictures. I have been paranoid that she's only cute to me & it's a Seinfeld situation. Therapy was ok. He validate my feelings, encouraged me on the healthy steps I'm already starting to take, and complimented my identifying that I needed help and being proactive about getting it. He did keep trying to attribute my issues to some childhood trauma or drinking/drugs and was kind of surprised I don't have those issues. Some people just have bad brain chemistry that causes depression & anxiety, it doesn't HAVE to stem from those other things. I had to park across the street from a pie shop to go to therapy but I managed refrain from throwing a rock through the window of the place soI could dive mouth first into the array of pies they have. I didn't come home with any pie at all. Instead I'll go to the grocery store soon and stock up on healthy foods. And as for Motor, it was because of his purr. :D

obava wrote: GG & Manda- baked bananas are yummy! Just peel, put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for a bit. Honey or powdered sugar is really good on them. You know, for people who eat sugar :?


That sounds YUM!

obava wrote: Can't wait to hear how everyone's week's been going. So tell me, what fun plans do you all have for the weekend? I have a huge to-do list, but I'd like for my kid & I to go to the coffee shop to spend some screen-free time. I'm also planning on visiting my little old lady friend for my socialization points this week. She's never met my dog and I think they would love each other :P

Another Good Thing to add to my jar- this post didn't disappear before I could submit it :lol:


My weekend plans: I usually leave up my tree until the Epiphany on January 6th but it is STILL up so this situation has to be resolved this weekend. My therapist gave me the homework of talking to my husband about my MIL situation. So far I have let me stay out of it as best he can but my therapist thinks I need to voice my needs of my husband to be on my side, put that for better or worse partnership vows thing into play, and have him help put stronger boundaries up to deal with her brand of crazy. I am apprehensive about this but hopefully it goes well. Plus I want to take as much time as possible to spend quality time with my daughter before I go back to work on Monday. Lots and lots of baby snuggles.

Have fun at the coffee shop with your son!!!
Last edited by mandaliz on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:42 pm

JodieO wrote:My plan for tomorrow is to alternately clean and sleep and spend time with Guinness. I've barely cleaned or slept in the past two weeks because I've been sick and bot my apartment and I are showing it. Guinness has been pretty down since Marlowe passed away, but she's seemed even worse this past week, so I'm going to try to keep a close eye on her to make sure there isn't anything physically wrong. She's spending a lot less time in my lap and a lot more time in Marlowe's sick chair. :?

Sunday will be laundry, taco dinner with the bestie, a double header of Downton and then SHERLOCK!!

Image

Are you going to bring your little old lady friend some tea?


Poor Guinness. Not that I hope she's just in mourning too, just that I hope she's not falling ill. HUGS to you both.

SHERLOCK!!! I AM WAY EXCITED!!! Except I am not sure I'll be able to watch it until Monday. :( I am not sure how I've managed to stay spoiler free but I am pleased I have and hope it can stay that way until I can watch it. But.... SHERLOCK!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby JodieO » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:08 pm

mandaliz wrote:I'm glad you like the baby pictures. I have been paranoid that she's only cute to me & it's a Seinfeld situation.


All y'alls babies are breathtaking.


Image
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16216
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest