Go to footer

Everything's Coming up Roses

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: Everything's Coming up Roses

Postby JodieO » Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Ok, so this thing happened on Mother's Day when my oldest sister was up. We used to be really close, but we drifted apart when she married a total dickhead and moved away. Anyway, she moved back to within a couple hours of us and the dickhead is in and out of the picture and she adopted a special-needs baby. So now we have even less to talk about.

Anyway, somehow the subject came up about someone's dog having allergies and my sister was incredulous that anyone would bother treating them. She said that if an animal can't just get over whatever illness it has then it should just die. I'm sure you're all surprised by this, but I got quite offended by that statement. So then she backpedaled and said she was only joking and of course she would take care of her pets if they got sick, but then she kept on going about how people are more important than animals and muttering about the trouble it would be to take are of one. I then spent most of the day wearing sunglasses so no one could see that I'd been crying in the laundry room. The loss of Guinness and Marlowe is still pretty raw even if I do have a house full of kitties and that was a really shitty thing to say. She certainly wouldn't have liked it if someone had 'joked' about one of her kids. It's still bothering me. She's supposed to meet up with us this weekend when we plant flowers on my grandmother's grave and I don't even want to see her.

So here's my dilemma. We've never been the kind of touchy-feely family that talks about feelings, but more of the grit your teeth and pretend everything is fine type of family. I can't decide if I should bother trying to hash this out with her or not.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby absolutelyvlc » Wed May 21, 2014 9:25 am

JodieO wrote:Ok, so this thing happened on Mother's Day when my oldest sister was up. We used to be really close, but we drifted apart when she married a total dickhead and moved away. Anyway, she moved back to within a couple hours of us and the dickhead is in and out of the picture and she adopted a special-needs baby. So now we have even less to talk about.

Anyway, somehow the subject came up about someone's dog having allergies and my sister was incredulous that anyone would bother treating them. She said that if an animal can't just get over whatever illness it has then it should just die. I'm sure you're all surprised by this, but I got quite offended by that statement. So then she backpedaled and said she was only joking and of course she would take care of her pets if they got sick, but then she kept on going about how people are more important than animals and muttering about the trouble it would be to take are of one. I then spent most of the day wearing sunglasses so no one could see that I'd been crying in the laundry room. The loss of Guinness and Marlowe is still pretty raw even if I do have a house full of kitties and that was a really shitty thing to say. She certainly wouldn't have liked it if someone had 'joked' about one of her kids. It's still bothering me. She's supposed to meet up with us this weekend when we plant flowers on my grandmother's grave and I don't even want to see her.

So here's my dilemma. We've never been the kind of touchy-feely family that talks about feelings, but more of the grit your teeth and pretend everything is fine type of family. I can't decide if I should bother trying to hash this out with her or not.

:shock: i.....can't.....even.........

seriously....I can't even form words.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby Muffinmom » Wed May 21, 2014 12:57 pm

JodieO wrote:So here's my dilemma. We've never been the kind of touchy-feely family that talks about feelings, but more of the grit your teeth and pretend everything is fine type of family. I can't decide if I should bother trying to hash this out with her or not.

Can I just go choke her?

As far as what to do - what would take care of you more - hashing it our letting it sit? That's what I'd do, and if you need to hash it out then she'll have to deal with it . Both decisions have their consequence, you just need to decide which consequence supports you more.

When its me & my family, I tell them my position, and just deal with it - sometimes I STILL deal with the repercussions. But in my case I'm ok with that, because I want THEM to realize the impact their words have as well. My situation was that my brother borrowed money, and when I asked for it back by the agreed to due date, he got all insulted I *dared* to ask for the money back. Wouldn't even discuss a new due date. And everyone backed HIM up. That was almost 20 yrs ago and it still comes up occasionally. But I'm fine with that b/c they know now that any money discussion with me had better be serious.

Just do what's best for YOU!!! But the situation majorly stinks - you're grieving and they're treating your pain as inconsequential. Ain't families great? Sigh...
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby guitargirl » Wed May 21, 2014 4:23 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:
guitargirl wrote:Fucking finally!!!!!!I thought you had all well and truly locked me out as the flat is resisting ALL my efforts to get in 8-)

I have some very exciting news to share. Guitarboy and his band have been scouted and chosen to play at a local music festival as one of 4 new acts, and a local magazine are running a page feature on them. I am so excited and proud for them as all of their gigs to date have been for charity. There will also be a number of famous (and none famous acts over the weekend) but they are by far the youngest. :o :D

Guess who's bursting with pride? *points to self*

Lovely to see BB back here. It looks like I'm not the only one having problems posting. :?

Oooh, what are they called? Do they have social media pages? And which festival?

Sorry for not replying sooner. Its been such a couple of busy days. Eep! I sent you an email but I'm not sure if I have sent it to the right account. Let me know if you've not received anything. Social media pages are now being made so watch this space. :D :D
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby guitargirl » Wed May 21, 2014 4:26 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:Cuffed jeans!

Woah I've missed all the promo!!!! I'm LOVING these pics. I actually like the jeans and jacket combo as it makes a nice change. I think green is fab on him.
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby guitargirl » Wed May 21, 2014 4:59 pm

JodieO wrote:Ok, so this thing happened on Mother's Day when my oldest sister was up. We used to be really close, but we drifted apart when she married a total dickhead and moved away. Anyway, she moved back to within a couple hours of us and the dickhead is in and out of the picture and she adopted a special-needs baby. So now we have even less to talk about.

Fucking hell............. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Are you sure you are REALLY related? She has been incredibly insensitive and dismissive of your feelings and opinions and I'm kind of horrified here as I don't understand her mentality AT ALL.

I've looked at Muffinmoms wise response which was so much more balanced than what I'm going to say so you should probably take her advice, but I am also going to say how I would personally handle it.

I'd would avoid confrontation initially if I was still angry, however, I would wait until I felt calm enough to discuss it rationally as I think resentment and avoidance just eats away at a person. I'd then make a point of taking her to one side and calmly tell her exactly how you feel and the reasons behind it. I think it is fair to give people a chance to apologize, explain themselves, or even agree to disagree, but I also think its absolutely right that you should get it off your chest as its important to be heard. If she continues to be a douchebag then you don't owe her anything and can walk away with your head held high. Some relationships (even family) are not worth the effort but its important that both sides have their say and you haven't had yours yet. My SIL has a saying 'You can't be an asshole and get upset when someone calls you out on it.'

Big hugs Jodes, and best of luck in however you decide to handle it (but it may be an idea to delay grandmas flowers if you feel like ramming them down your sisters throat. :D :D )
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby guitargirl » Wed May 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Gianna wrote:Well, The Flat let me in today (hooray!) so I will take that as a positive sign. :D

GG - great news about Guitar Boy! Love it! You have to be very proud.

I am loving the Ron photos that I've managed to catch in the last 24 hours. It has...re-kindled my interest. He's looking delicious right now for sure.

Let's see...what else. Work is too fucking busy. It's rainy here. I am ready for vacation (just 113 days, not that I am counting).

I miss you guys!

Miss you too!
TTFN
guitargirl
Recovering Krisbian

Postby dancing_echoes » Wed May 21, 2014 6:02 pm

guitargirl wrote:
dancing_echoes wrote:
guitargirl wrote:Fucking finally!!!!!!I thought you had all well and truly locked me out as the flat is resisting ALL my efforts to get in 8-)

I have some very exciting news to share. Guitarboy and his band have been scouted and chosen to play at a local music festival as one of 4 new acts, and a local magazine are running a page feature on them. I am so excited and proud for them as all of their gigs to date have been for charity. There will also be a number of famous (and none famous acts over the weekend) but they are by far the youngest. :o :D

Guess who's bursting with pride? *points to self*

Lovely to see BB back here. It looks like I'm not the only one having problems posting. :?

Oooh, what are they called? Do they have social media pages? And which festival?

Sorry for not replying sooner. Its been such a couple of busy days. Eep! I sent you an email but I'm not sure if I have sent it to the right account. Let me know if you've not received anything. Social media pages are now being made so watch this space. :D :D

Yes, I got it! Owe you an e-mail back. It will be there by the weekend! Work's nuts and I'm waging a war against ants at home every night so I've been too shattered to e-mail. :|
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Location: On Facebook, "investigating" the Britpack's whereabouts

Postby JodieO » Wed May 21, 2014 6:35 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:Yes, I got it! Owe you an e-mail back. It will be there by the weekend! Work's nuts and I'm waging a war against ants at home every night so I've been too shattered to e-mail. :|

ANTS! The little fuckers. I get them every spring. =( Right now I'm getting the big gross ones, and while the cats think it's fun to chase them, I'd still rather not have any. Unfortunately I don't know where they are coming from, what they want, or how to get rid of them. I don't dare spray because the kitten goes EVERYWHERE and he chews on everything. =( Just going to have to keep sucking them up with the vacuum. :?
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby dancing_echoes » Thu May 22, 2014 9:50 am

JodieO wrote:
dancing_echoes wrote:Yes, I got it! Owe you an e-mail back. It will be there by the weekend! Work's nuts and I'm waging a war against ants at home every night so I've been too shattered to e-mail. :|

ANTS! The little fuckers. I get them every spring. =( Right now I'm getting the big gross ones, and while the cats think it's fun to chase them, I'd still rather not have any. Unfortunately I don't know where they are coming from, what they want, or how to get rid of them. I don't dare spray because the kitten goes EVERYWHERE and he chews on everything. =( Just going to have to keep sucking them up with the vacuum. :?

They say using white vinegar and water to clean the floor helps get rid of the trails they use to find their way back to food. It's really effing aggravating right now. They're coming in under my slider from the balcony. :evil:
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Location: On Facebook, "investigating" the Britpack's whereabouts

Postby Muffinmom » Thu May 22, 2014 10:58 am

JodieO wrote: ANTS! The little fuckers. I get them every spring. =( Right now I'm getting the big gross ones, and while the cats think it's fun to chase them, I'd still rather not have any. Unfortunately I don't know where they are coming from, what they want, or how to get rid of them. I don't dare spray because the kitten goes EVERYWHERE and he chews on everything. =( Just going to have to keep sucking them up with the vacuum. :?

I heard you can draw with chalk wherever they're entering, or you can mark the borders with salt? I'm sure you can google for other 'natural' yet kitty friendly ways to deter the ants. Eww! Good luck getting rid of them, I agree that they're a pain!

Here's one website I found with good ideas: http://smallnotebook.org/2010/04/21/5-simple-natural-ant-control-remedies/
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby amynkansas » Thu May 22, 2014 10:57 pm

JodieO wrote:

I did the jam mixed with borax and water last year. put a piece of paper with the stuff on it near where i saw the ants and then saw 100's of them eating it and had to leave them overnight, in my house. the next morning...they were all dead but 2 and never returned. they carried the borax back to nest...and shared it. but yes, I had to keep the dog away from it. Not hard at night because she stays in my room with the door locked.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby kelbel75 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:10 pm

how does Audible.com work? I see that you can get a free book w/trial membership and then either cancel or stay and then be charged monthly where you get to choose one book. do you have to be on this plan or can you buy books whenever you want independently? when you cancel your membership, do you get to keep the books you've purchased? do you download them or can you only listen online or through an app or something? (I want Richard's new "Hamlet" book but I don't want to stay a member b/c his audio books are the only ones I listen to; I still prefer to read myself :| )

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby amynkansas » Fri May 23, 2014 11:30 pm

kelbel75 wrote:how does Audible.com work? I see that you can get a free book w/trial membership and then either cancel or stay and then be charged monthly where you get to choose one book. do you have to be on this plan or can you buy books whenever you want independently? when you cancel your membership, do you get to keep the books you've purchased? do you download them or can you only listen online or through an app or something? (I want Richard's new "Hamlet" book but I don't want to stay a member b/c his audio books are the only ones I listen to; I still prefer to read myself :| )

i joined to get a free book, then canceled a couple weeks later. i got to keep the book (it's downloaded onto my computer but I can listen to it on my ipod too.
when i canceled they gave me a bunch of options and discounts which i ignored and enjoyed my free book.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby absolutelyvlc » Mon May 26, 2014 9:00 am

so how did it go?
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby absolutelyvlc » Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 am

Echo........echo......echo

Bueller?
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby Muffinmom » Tue May 27, 2014 11:33 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:Echo........echo......echo

Bueller?

If you want posts, YOU GOTSA GIVE US A TOPIC, DAHLING!

SO- how was your weekend, ABS? Since you want some chattering, here we go with my boring update... My weekend was pretty good, though I'm still grumbling at the amount of photo work DH has been going thru.

Muffin did her first sleepover birthday party, and came home after that to take a 4 hour nap, LOL! DH spent the weekend working on a huge photoshoot at our neighbors house, I had to help out with getting Muffin ready and coaching her thru the shoot.(photoshoot was of Muffin & our neighbors daughter in their dance recital costumes - 11 shoots altogether!) It took 1/2 day to setup plus about 7 or so hrs of shooting. Thankfully the neighbors also provided food and DRINK which partly made up for being stuck inside. Monday I finally got done some of the weeding I need. DH was stuck ALL DAY in the house working on a slide presentation for the girl's dance studio with one of the studio teachers. To be continued today. Sigh. Sometimes I get REALLY annoyed at how much time DH spends with his photography. Feels like he treats it as a job though he gets zero pay. I wouldn't mind, except it keeps him from doing minor house stuff that affects me - like replacing the water hose, I'm the one stuck walking with the watering can so he can play with the 'puter. Grr.

BUT the weather is gorgeous so I can't complain. And there's TONS AND TONS of gorgeous Rob pictures on FB thx to BrooklyBabe's FB group so I have plenty of eye candy to distract me ;)

I think I'm flouncing the Outlander series though I still want to watch the STARZ series. Its just too soap opera-ish for me past the first book.

WHAT is everyone else up to? What's
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby Muffinmom » Tue May 27, 2014 3:39 pm

SO, I need an unbiased opinion…

Last Sunday, during that photoshoot at my neighbors, I was hanging out in their back porch and another neighbor took my picture, sitting down and holding a wine glass. It wasn’t very flattering but not horrible either, but it did show the fact that I’m blessed with large girls. She posted it in FB.
One of my neighbors friends then commented THIS about the picture: “lol, the girl in the pink looks like she's fixin' to flash her boobies!!”

I sent her an private message telling her I thought the message was rude. She responded back saying she was just joking (what else).

Am I right to feel insulted? Why would anyone feel its ok to joke about a stranger’s boobs? Image
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby kelbel75 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:09 pm

look at me, posting a Rob pic! :o :D

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:12 pm

and now Richard, b/c that would be weird if I posted a pic of Rob and not him :? :lol:

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:14 pm

bonus, just because :twisted:

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Wed May 28, 2014 8:09 pm

kelbel75 wrote:bonus, just because :twisted:

WHOAH.

Swing that stick, Richard. Swing it good.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Wed May 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Muffinmom wrote:SO, I need an unbiased opinion…

Last Sunday, during that photoshoot at my neighbors, I was hanging out in their back porch and another neighbor took my picture, sitting down and holding a wine glass. It wasn’t very flattering but not horrible either, but it did show the fact that I’m blessed with large girls. She posted it in FB.
One of my neighbors friends then commented THIS about the picture: “lol, the girl in the pink looks like she's fixin' to flash her boobies!!”

I sent her an private message telling her I thought the message was rude. She responded back saying she was just joking (what else).

Am I right to feel insulted? Why would anyone feel its ok to joke about a stranger’s boobs? Image

I'm sure it's kind of icky to have strangers commenting on your boobs, but it doesn't sound like she meant anything by it. I wouldn't think too much of it. =)
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Wed May 28, 2014 8:16 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:

so how did it go?

I haven't emailed her yet, but I'm going to bring it up. Work has been stressful and by the time I get home my eyes are all blurry and I don't want to bother with emotions and stuff. And I've spent the past two weeks trying to introduce the kitties and convince them all to be friends which is a much better use of my time. =)
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Wed May 28, 2014 8:22 pm

dancing_echoes wrote:
JodieO wrote:

They say using white vinegar and water to clean the floor helps get rid of the trails they use to find their way back to food. It's really effing aggravating right now. They're coming in under my slider from the balcony. :evil:

I do use white vinegar and water to clean the floor! Well, mixed with other stuff, too, but those are the two biggest ingredients. In fact, I use it to clean everything!

I'm not sure these ants use scent trails. I never see them in the same area so I don't know where they are coming from, where they are going, or what they are looking for. Like I'll go upstairs and there will be one wandering around the desk, and then I'll come downstairs and there will be one on the kitchen wall, or one being chased across the living room floor by the cats. Though I did once accidentally leave my cereal bowl on the counter when I left for work and found a few drowned in it, so perhaps they are looking for soy milk? Are there soy ants?
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat