Go to footer

Dinna Fash- "Outlander" talk

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: Dinna Fash- "Outlander" talk

Postby SeattleLisa » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 pm

BTW, I'm seriously thinking about going to Scotland/Ireland next summer with the travel company I used to work for two years ago. Hubby is all for it but a lot of times I hold back on big trips like this because I'm afraid to spend this kind of money on travel. ("shouldn't we be saving more and paying off debt?" I keep thinking)

I keep imagining if I don't say "let's go out to eat tonight!" and I don't waste money on expensive binge eating, and then more doctor's bills because of the problems with the weight and ACTUALLY followed through and WORKED extremely hard at this, maybe I could make a goal of lbs lost and savings gained and earn my way to Scotland/Ireland? It's 18 months from now. I feel like making 2 of these:

one for weight, one for money and seeing if I will follow through on this. I don't have to put a down payment on anything for another almost 3 months. I keep kicking this around and so much of me feels like I don't deserve this. But maybe I'll feel better if I *earn* it.

Travel when one is edging towards 300 lbs is not nearly as fun as at half that weight. I'm not talking how I look but how hard it is to move through the world, fit in an airline seat (and NOT ask for a seatbelt extender), walk a lot, carry luggage, you get the picture. My goal would be to hit ONEderland, which I haven't done in 15 long years in order to earn this! ugh! I got SO CLOSE to 199 lbs in my first 2 Challenges here. I know what to do. I just have to follow through.

Something that helps me is to exercise as soon as I get home while watching something fun like Outlander or travel videos since the exercise bike is SO boring. (Riding my bike outside is like making out with Jamie. Riding my exercise bike is like making out with his cardboard cut out!) :lol: :lol: BUT I MUST DO IT ANYWAY! (boring exercise that is, along with the extremely fun outdoor cycling) That break between stressful work and home life (and the immediate desire to binge) is helpful. The exercise *wakes me up* to what really matters, and my highest priority is NOT stuffing my face to alleviate the stress.

I got on my scale this morning- 271 lbs. (I'm up again, dammit!) I'm going to keep posting my weight here once a week. A friend said in order to change the first thing you have to really do is DECIDE to do something, and then work at it. Travel is in my top 4 of My Very, Very Favorite Things. I know I won't regret the trip but I will regret it if I can't easily walk the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby SeattleLisa » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Dang it! The goal thermometers didn't show up in my last post!!!
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby Muffinmom » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:15 pm

Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 pm

SeattleLisa wrote: a lot of times I hold back on big trips like this because I'm afraid to spend this kind of money on travel. ("shouldn't we be saving more and paying off debt?" I keep thinking)

Poppycock!!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover!!!

(and then tell me to take my own gosh darn advice!!)

PS - I would LOVE to go there with you!!!
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:33 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:Dang it! The goal thermometers didn't show up in my last post!!!

DANG! I wanted to see those. Do you have a link to somewhere I can see this? I love the idea.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby amynkansas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:28 pm

I've watched "the devil's mark"
for the 6th time
and it bothers me each time when Claire doesn't question Geillis' comment "it's looks like I'm going to a fucking BBQ". She doesn't even quirk an eyebrow. BBQ nor Fucking are common words during that time period. I like the book scene better.....But I loved seeing Jamie come in and go all highlander on their asses

“I swore an oath before the altar of God to protect this woman. And if you're tellin' me that ye consider your own authority to be greater than that of the Almighty, then I must inform ye that I'm not of that opinion, myself.”
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby amynkansas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:50 pm

i need to give Lisa a shout out for the awesome mug and the thought behind it.
The photo i took was too large and I didn't know how to edit it thru tumblr

I am not a fan of book geillis but i really loved this scene and what they were saying...

C: When I was a little girl, we used to go to Brighton in November. They would all gather there, thousands of them… this massive flock. A murmuration, it was called. They’d be swooping and twirling in this kind of hypnotic cloud, in perfectly synchronized patterns.
G: What possesses them to do such a thing?
C: To protect each other from the falcons. Safety in numbers.
G: We’re hardly a flock, you and I, although according to witnesses, I have been known to take wing.

Thank you all for being my flock...
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby kelbel75 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 am

amynkansas wrote:I've watched "the devil's mark"
for the 6th time
and it bothers me each time when Claire doesn't question Geillis' comment "it's looks like I'm going to a fucking BBQ". She doesn't even quirk an eyebrow. BBQ nor Fucking are common words during that time period.

I've been having too many of these kinds of hang-ups in relation to the show. I just can't seem to get past them. it's not you, Outlander, it's me :cry: like how everybody and their brother use landscape pics from Skye to represent the series...Claire and Jamie never went to Skye, even tho the theme-song is the Skye Boat Song melody :roll: and how Jamie and Claire escaped Fort William by jumping in the water :? and why did they move the witch-trial indoors? and do NOT even mention Frank hearing Claire through the stones as she was getting captured by the redcoats. I was sooo pissed when I saw that, yelling at the screen even! I think I scared my husband :P
that this moment would last forever,or,if it couldn't,that I would stop existing when it did
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:38 am

for the 6th time
and it bothers me each time when Claire doesn't question Geillis' comment "it's looks like I'm going to a fucking BBQ". She doesn't even quirk an eyebrow. BBQ nor Fucking are common words during that time period. I like the book scene better.....But I loved seeing Jamie come in and go all highlander on their asses

“I swore an oath before the altar of God to protect this woman. And if you're tellin' me that ye consider your own authority to be greater than that of the Almighty, then I must inform ye that I'm not of that opinion, myself.”

You took all the words right out of my mouth. I feel the same. About all of this ↑
except I only watched it once ;)

kelbel75 wrote:and do NOT even mention Frank hearing Claire through the stones as she was getting captured by the redcoats. I was sooo pissed when I saw that, yelling at the screen even!

Did you read that as Frank actually hearing Claire? I was questioning it myself. I wasn't sure if that was how we were meant to interpret that scene. I'm also still a week behind so.....
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby Muffinmom » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Thx for the spoilers!! Now I need to watch... I'm SO BEHIND!!!! *sob!*
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby SeattleLisa » Fri May 01, 2015 11:01 pm

for the 6th time

I love that you watched this 6 times. :D
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby SeattleLisa » Fri May 01, 2015 11:59 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
for the 6th time
and it bothers me each time when Claire doesn't question Geillis' comment "it's looks like I'm going to a fucking BBQ". She doesn't even quirk an eyebrow. BBQ nor Fucking are common words during that time period.

I've been having too many of these kinds of hang-ups in relation to the show. I just can't seem to get past them. it's not you, Outlander, it's me :cry: like how everybody and their brother use landscape pics from Skye to represent the series...Claire and Jamie never went to Skye, even tho the theme-song is the Skye Boat Song melody :roll: and how Jamie and Claire escaped Fort William by jumping in the water :? and why did they move the witch-trial indoors? and do NOT even mention Frank hearing Claire through the stones as she was getting captured by the redcoats. I was sooo pissed when I saw that, yelling at the screen even! I think I scared my husband :P

Kel- I recently tried to find the conversation we had in this Forum 5 years ago about how upset I got about Jamie beating Claire. I've always loved how you are the Outlander Dealer/Pusher on this site and helped walk me through that scene and to get over it. ;)

Having said that (written that) I was sad when I fell away from the series due to the minutia of the 4th book (?) therefore I never became the Super Fan that you are. I am grateful for that now because I can suspend disbelief and forget about the books (mostly) while watching what I think is an absolutely terrific-fantastic show. I am re-reading the book since I've forgotten so many of the little details but I read each chapter and catch up *after* I've watched the show so I don't have as many expectations.

So, unwarranted advice here. Can you maybe see the show as AU or Fanfiction or are you just too upset by all the changes? Hypocrite Moment here- I do have to admit I was sad the waterweed moment wasn't in there (after being reminded of that by That's Normal's Beth.) What do you like about the show? Casting? Music?

By the way, I so loved Claire and Frank calling to each other through the stones. Yes, so not in the books but sad and poignant and it almost made me cry. I actually had remembered in vivid detail her trying to get back to the stones and bouncing around the bottom of the pools before the British soldier nabbed her. That would've been *very* difficult to film and wouldn't have held much if any emotional weight. I'm watching this show along with DH who never read the book and in my very humble opinion I think the tweaks they're making are to draw non-book readers in (but sadly at the expense of Super Fans like you). In the book I thought Frank was a bit of a dick at times to Claire but I like in the show how great he is and how Claire had to make a very clear choice between two really good men.

I've read some things you've posted and am amazed you can distinguish a true Highlander's accent or that you even knew some of the scenery is from Skye. ??!! Wow. Again, Super Fan. (I say that with awe at your knowledge here.)

I guess I suspended disbelief over the song because I was captivated by it immediately, and even though J&C never go to Skye, the song as I'm sure you know is about Bonnie Prince Charlie. The focal point of the Battle of Culloden in the books was such a major thing and Bonnie Prince Charlie has been referenced so much in the show and book. #everythinggoesbacktobonnieprincecharlie haha So I've been onboard with the song even though it's not true to J&C. Same with the Skye scenery. I'm just happy they're using actual shots of Scotland and Iceland isn't subbing in. haha

I'm really sad you're not enjoying this show and wish I could find the right words here to help you, as you helped me 5 years ago. (I hope I haven't upset you in any way here.) Again, IMVHO I believe it's perfectly cast, LOVE the music, love just about everything about it. The sex scenes are the most romantic-most erotic-sexiest I've ever seen in my life. I love that the camera loves every second of Sam/Jamie. (funny I don't think he's all that in real life but MAN OH MAN, as Jamie he's on fire!)

I just read this to DH, he thinks it's a bit heavy handed on my part. He's joking with me and asking, "what are you going to do, send her a big pot of haggis?"~~~~~Ok, so now DH and I are arguing (again!) and he thinks I shouldn't have written any of this but I hope you forgive me.
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby SeattleLisa » Sat May 02, 2015 12:00 am

Oh yeah, I'm down a couple pounds in my "earning my way to Scotland, Aug 2016" quest. So I'm happy about that, too.
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sat May 02, 2015 8:33 am

SeattleLisa wrote: (funny I don't think he's all that in real life but MAN OH MAN, as Jamie he's on fire!)

yup!

SeattleLisa wrote:Oh yeah, I'm down a couple pounds in my "earning my way to Scotland, Aug 2016" quest. So I'm happy about that, too.

YAY!
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 am

I just wrote a long-assed reply to SeattleLisa about what I do and do not like about the show and why, but how I want to celebrate the enjoyment all of you are receiving from it none the less, etc. but the freakin forum ate the whole thing :x

so in short: I liked SeattleLisa's post b/c she said I was great ( :P ), I like Black Jack and Geillis, I really like the costumes and scenery, I recognize the shots from Skye b/c I was there last summer, I'm generally an OCD accent bitch(especially regarding UK ones, b/c I love them). so yeah. I'll come back and talk more later :roll:
that this moment would last forever,or,if it couldn't,that I would stop existing when it did
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:11 pm

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby SeattleLisa » Sun May 03, 2015 10:09 am

kelbel75 wrote:I just wrote a long-assed reply to SeattleLisa about what I do and do not like about the show and why, but how I want to celebrate the enjoyment all of you are receiving from it none the less, etc. but the freakin forum ate the whole thing :x

so in short: I liked SeattleLisa's post b/c she said I was great ( :P ), I like Black Jack and Geillis, I really like the costumes and scenery, I recognize the shots from Skye b/c I was there last summer, I'm generally an OCD accent bitch(especially regarding UK ones, b/c I love them). so yeah. I'll come back and talk more later :roll:

Kel- I would LOVE to hear about your Scotland trip!! Are you of Scottish ancestry? How many times have you visited? What did you do last year there, besides visit Skye? (I'd love to hear more about Skye, too. I keep seeing so many lovely pics of the jagged rocks, fairy pools, etc) Did you visit Glasgow? I keep hearing really bad things about that city but would love to know what you think.

DH is pushing for us to do a trip on our own rather than a cruise or an overland tour. I'm seeing the benefit of this, too. We do NOT want to rent a car though and want to get around on public transportation. As Obava can well attest to, he and I have a bad habit of arguing in the car and the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road, and driving from the wrong side of the car will just ratchet up the fighting! :lol:

BTW, I HATE when the Forum eats my posts! I've taken to copying and pasting my longer posts before I hit send for this very reason. :evil:
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby amynkansas » Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:
Kel- I would LOVE to hear about your Scotland trip!! Are you of Scottish ancestry? How many times have you visited? What did you do last year there, besides visit Skye? (I'd love to hear more about Skye, too. I keep seeing so many lovely pics of the jagged rocks, fairy pools, etc) Did you visit Glasgow? I keep hearing really bad things about that city but would love to know what you think.

I can't wait for you to hear about Kel's trip. send her the link to your website that chronicled your WHOLE trip. Starting with your family having to spend the night in the airport....
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby kelbel75 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:23 am

amynkansas wrote:I can't wait for you to hear about Kel's trip. send her the link to your website that chronicled your WHOLE trip. Starting with your family having to spend the night in the airport....

:lol: yes, definitely read the chronicles of my trip. it's an interesting read... (it's on my Richard Armitage blog, so I've used reaction gifs themed towards him but there are actual trip snapshots in there as well. the last post about Skye is all photos from the trip) here's the link to part one (each post has a "next time" link at the end that will take you to the next part): https://nowhereinparticularra.wordpress ... -part-one/
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:49 am

SeattleLisa wrote:Kel- I would LOVE to hear about your Scotland trip!! Are you of Scottish ancestry? How many times have you visited? What did you do last year there, besides visit Skye? (I'd love to hear more about Skye, too. I keep seeing so many lovely pics of the jagged rocks, fairy pools, etc) Did you visit Glasgow? I keep hearing really bad things about that city but would love to know what you think.

DH is pushing for us to do a trip on our own rather than a cruise or an overland tour. I'm seeing the benefit of this, too. We do NOT want to rent a car though and want to get around on public transportation. As Obava can well attest to, he and I have a bad habit of arguing in the car and the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road, and driving from the wrong side of the car will just ratchet up the fighting! :lol:

BTW, I HATE when the Forum eats my posts! I've taken to copying and pasting my longer posts before I hit send for this very reason. :evil:

I do have some Scottish ancestry but it's not anything we really acknowledged or celebrated, so I didn't go hunt down my roots or anything when I visited. one thing I did really like though is that everyone there looked like me: pale, freckled skin :D

I've only been to Scotland once but I would love to go back! I actually cried on the plane as we were leaving :cry: if my kids weren't at home missing me, I might have refused to leave... (my kids were 9 and 14 when we visited last summer. they stayed home with my parents. it was the first time I had ever been anywhere without them)

we debated whether we wanted to rent a car and just do it ourselves b/c I didn't really want to see the normal tourist stops. but in the end it seemed like too much added stress for our first time. I found a tour that I really liked so we just decided to stay in Edinburgh and explore the city ourselves while taking the tour to see more of the Highlands. Our tour guide(s) was really informative with both historical stories and more modern socioeconomic facts about the country; I learned a lot, thanks to them 8-)

our tour started in Edinburgh and we spent the first day driving up through the Highlands. the second day was spent exploring Skye and then the third day had us taking a Ferry from Skye back to the mainland, riding on a steam train (named the Jacobite ;) ) over to Ft. William and then driving back down through the Highlands by way of Glencoe. beautiful country, so pretty and mystical feeling! we didn't visit Glasgow b/c the Highland Games were going on at that time and it was just too crazy and crowded. but I do know that it is trying to change it's bad reputation, becoming a center for the arts and the "modern" face of Scotland.
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby amynkansas » Mon May 04, 2015 2:23 pm

kel...you left out some parts.
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby kelbel75 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:22 pm

amynkansas wrote:kel...you left out some parts.

I linked her to the blog, that's where all the crazy stuff is Image

here are some random pics tho:

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun May 31, 2015 9:31 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
this week's epi
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Sun May 31, 2015 1:34 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
this week's epi

this was the big one, wasn't it? I've stopped watching- no offense to Sam or anyone else but I need to keep my version intact in my head. I'm stubborn like that :? BUT I really do want to know what you guys have thought of the last few episodes, this last one especially. I've heard Sam did such a heart-wrenching job w/it that he should get an Emmy 8-)
kelbel75
Craft Services

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat