Go to footer

New Moon

Re: New Moon

Postby renesmee_really? » Tue May 19, 2009 11:05 pm

PG11 wrote:Interesting posts above, peeps :)

I have just read New Moon for the 4th time, and it just gets better and better, in my opinion :)

But I just cannot get over how daft Edward was to leave Bella available to Laurent and Victoria. He must have KNOWN they would come for her, so how could leaving her vunerable make any kind of sense to him?

Pffft!!!!

I know exactly how you feel, I just read it for a 3rd time and I am ashamed to say it upsets me every time. I didn't love it my first read but the more I read it the more I love it.
renesmee_really?
107 Year Old Virgin

Postby JellybeanRainbow » Wed May 20, 2009 1:53 am

themoonisdown wrote:
ps the wolfpack anyone?!!HELLO!!!!!!!!!!

I am Team Jacob and can't exactly explain why. I was hoping for Bella to be with him; his warmth, natural beauty and promise of a normal life and death made me like him more than Edward. (BTW, haven't we learned anything from Nosferatu?) It was just a feeling I had, I wasn't even thinking about it or trying to explain it to myself.

And then Robert Pattinson came along and turned my Twilight and actual world upside down.

Now I am Team Rob. All the way.
JellybeanRainbow
Fake Lesbian

Postby natasha » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:09 am

Oke....so I'm a normal person if I read the books more than 3 time? :lol:

I must say that after reading NM for the first time I hated it. I read it for the second time and didn't hate it so much. I bought the two books of Donna Boyd "the pasion" en "the promise" (it's a story about wolves instead of vampires) After reading the books of Donna i had a feeling I undertsand Jacob better. The past week I have read NM for the 3th time and I LOVE the book. It's hard to explain but the Donna books realy helped me understand the wolvestory in Twilight. And Tyty looks awesome in the trailer
You don't want to make me mad, give me some kool-aid Image

My twitter:http://twitter.com/Shahyra
natasha
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby JenKB » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 pm

As I said in the Twilight Forum, I’m relatively new to Twilight, in general, and although I’m late to the party, I want to share, so here are my observations of New Moon. I hope other newbies (and non-newbie) will join with me.

I didn’t think I liked New Moon the first time I read it, but now that I’ve finished the entire saga, New Moon is my second favorite (third if I’m including the partial draft of Midnight Sun). My favorite parts are pretty much from the reunion scene to the end. At first I didn’t like Jacob, but I must say Taylor Lautner’s portrayal of him in the movie warmed me to the character (no pun intended). My primary issues with New Moon are the following:

1) Why didn’t Alice foresee the paper cut? You’d think given that they were about to leave Forks for months that she would have seen it coming and done something about it, not to mention Victoria.

2) Near the end. Bella is willing to give up her life, become a vampire and spend all of eternity with Edward, but she won’t marry him?? Hello? Why the face (WTF)? I know they explain this a little more in Eclipse, but when I first read this, it drove me crazy.

I really liked the movie. I think they did a really good job in the adaptation. I just wish they would have expanded the scenes post-Volterra, where Edward explains why he left and his love for Bella. I also didn’t like what they did to their eyes in the movie. Like others have said, they looked repitilian and weird, and they completely disregarded the fact that their eyes change color based on when they last hunted. The wardrobe was off too, although I appreciated the subtle way they conveyed Edward’s misery. I noted in my second viewing ( and confirmed with my third) that Edward wore the same clothes to Volterra as he wore in the break up scene, as if he never changed clothes (however bad they were to begin with). I thought it was subtle, but nice. The wigs were awful too. Poor Rosalie and Jasper. What were they thinking?

Well, I know I’m late, but happy to be here. I hope others come to share also.
:)
ImageImageImageImageImage
JenKB
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Postby robsten4life » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:44 am

JenKB wrote:As I said in the Twilight Forum, I’m relatively new to Twilight, in general, and although I’m late to the party, I want to share, so here are my observations of New Moon. I hope other newbies (and non-newbie) will join with me.

I didn’t think I liked New Moon the first time I read it, but now that I’ve finished the entire saga, New Moon is my second favorite (third if I’m including the partial draft of Midnight Sun). My favorite parts are pretty much from the reunion scene to the end. At first I didn’t like Jacob, but I must say Taylor Lautner’s portrayal of him in the movie warmed me to the character (no pun intended). My primary issues with New Moon are the following:

1) Why didn’t Alice foresee the paper cut? You’d think given that they were about to leave Forks for months that she would have seen it coming and done something about it, not to mention Victoria.

2) Near the end. Bella is willing to give up her life, become a vampire and spend all of eternity with Edward, but she won’t marry him?? Hello? Why the face (WTF)? I know they explain this a little more in Eclipse, but when I first read this, it drove me crazy.

I really liked the movie. I think they did a really good job in the adaptation. I just wish they would have expanded the scenes post-Volterra, where Edward explains why he left and his love for Bella. I also didn’t like what they did to their eyes in the movie. Like others have said, they looked repitilian and weird, and they completely disregarded the fact that their eyes change color based on when they last hunted. The wardrobe was off too, although I appreciated the subtle way they conveyed Edward’s misery. I noted in my second viewing ( and confirmed with my third) that Edward wore the same clothes to Volterra as he wore in the break up scene, as if he never changed clothes (however bad they were to begin with). I thought it was subtle, but nice. The wigs were awful too. Poor Rosalie and Jasper. What were they thinking?

Welcome to the forum Jen!! Make sure you head over to Rob's Flat and join in the fun over there too!!

New Moon was always my least favorite book, I didn't like the depression and I missed Edward and I had never been Team Jacob. I heard that upon re-reading NM people liked it much better that second time around, so I re-read it (actually I read the whole saga 3 times) and it still did nothing for me. Then I saw the movie. Since seeing the movie I decided to re-read the books yet again and this time around I LOVED NM. Taylor's portrayl of Jacob in the movie really brought the character to life for me and I enjoyed reading that part of the story so much more. I highly recommend that everyone re-reads NM after seeing the movie!

While reading the reunion scene in Volterra I found myself wondering what Edward was thinking so as any normal person would do I turned to fanfiction. I actually just finished reading NM this morning and have started on Edward's version "Dark Side of the Moon" and can't wait to see the authors interpretation of Edward's side of the story.

You bring up some good points, Alice definitely should have seen the paper cut coming, it's not something that I've ever though of before but it is something that she should have saw.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I promise to love you forever - every single day of forever~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robsten4life
Jackson's Riding Instructor

Postby allryans » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:57 pm

JenKB wrote:At first I didn’t like Jacob, but I must say Taylor Lautner’s portrayal of him in the movie warmed me to the character (no pun intended). My primary issues with New Moon are the following:

The wardrobe was off too, although I appreciated the subtle way they conveyed Edward’s misery. I noted in my second viewing ( and confirmed with my third) that Edward wore the same clothes to Volterra as he wore in the break up scene, as if he never changed clothes (however bad they were to begin with). I thought it was subtle, but nice.

Welcome to the forum! So when did you read the books for the first time? My first time was AWKWARD! ;)

- I didn't love Jacob the first time I read the books either, but with each reading, I've come to understand him a bit more. I still don't like him in Eclipse. Taylor was SUCH a great portrayal of Jacob ... really made me empathize with the character, and like him even.

- I don't think Alice saw the papercut because it was something that happened without any course of action. I mean, I guess you could say that as soon as Bella decided to open that gift, she should have seen the outcome, but Edward's decision to push her and her subsequent bleeding was all within a moment, so *shrugs* ... who knows!

- I think Bella's reticence about marriage parallels Edward's problem with changing her. Why does he want her forever, but not want her to be like him? I think both of them are ridiculous in their stubborness. Bella more so ... marriage is awesome, especially if it means daily vamp sex with Edward. Stupid girl.

- I noticed the thing with Edward's clothes when we got some of the first pictures of them filming in Italy. SUCH A GREAT DETAIL!!! It is one of my favorite parts of the movie, even though it's a small detail.
ImageImageImageImageImage
allryans
Not a Bear

Postby loving40s » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:58 pm

JenKB wrote:As I said in the Twilight Forum, I’m relatively new to Twilight, in general, and although I’m late to the party, I want to share, so here are my observations of New Moon. I hope other newbies (and non-newbie) will join with me.

Hi JenKB. I'm new to the forum as well....first post actually. I picked up Twilight for the first time just a few days before New Moon came out last month. I proceeded to inhale all the books within a week.

1) I don't think Alice could foresee the papercut because she sees the future based on people's decisions. IT wasn't a decision; it was just something that happened very quickly. . .an accident. That's my take on it anyway.

2)Initially I was dumbfounded that Bella was resistant to accepting Edward's proposal as well. I was like....uh, you want to spend eternity with this guy but you won't marry him? WHAT? BUt as I read more I began to get it. . .her resistance was not to marrying him or committing, it was her youthful worrying about what other people would think of her for marrying so young. That actually is fairly realistic - - for a teen to worry more about other's perception of her than what she should worry about.

Overall, I think they've done a pretty good job with both movies (except for the horrible wigs...what the hell?!) But here are a few minor complaints/observations. One of my favorite excerpts in Twilight is when Bella tells Edward some of the things that Jacob told her about the vampires legend and that she'd researched online. He said, "And what did you decide?" She said that she decided it didn't matter. "It didn't matter?" His tone made me look up - I had finaly broken through hhis carefully composed mask. "No, " I said softly. "it doesn't matter to me what you are." Edward says, "You don't care if I'm a monster?"

I wish they had kept that dialogue in the movie because it shows that her total acceptance of him was a huge thing to Edward. It made him love her even more. I thought it was pivotal; bring their beginning relationship to a deeper level.

My only complaint with New Moon is I think the writing could have been better during the break up scene. I think it should have been more emotional/intense when he is telling her he is leaving. I got that in the book but not in the movie.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rob, I'd like to show you why 40's are fabulous!
loving40s
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to New Moon