Go to footer

Bel Ami

Bel Ami

Postby robsten4life » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:23 am

Wow, I can't believe there hasn't been a Bel Ami page started yet.

Well here is a blogpost summarizing the script *contains some spoilers*
From
Robert Pattinson Life
Scriptshadow review for Bel Ami

Genre: Period Romance
Premise: Set (I think) in early 20th Century Paris, a penniless journalist worms his way into the city's upper crust, seducing all the ladies in his path.
About: Robert Pattinson is in it. What more do you need to know?
Writer: Rachel Bennette (based off the short story by Guy de Maupassant)
Oh R_Patz. Where art thou R_Patz? What the *hell* are you doing R_Patz?? Did you even read the script you signed up for? No you didn't, did you. You so did not read it. But you were interested in making this movie R_Patz weren't you? Yes you were. You were interested in making this movie because the coverage said you'd be spending the majority of the 120 minutes banging three of the hottest actresses in Hollywood. Yes you were R_Patz. Don't you lie to me Mr. Sharp Fangs. We both know the truth. Because here you were Mr. Twilight Vampire Man thinking you would get the pick of the litter. Three sultry celebrities you could take back to your coffin every night after filming. Real sex after fake sex. Menage et quatro. Be honest with me R_Patz. That's why you signed up for this movie, isn't it?

Well because you didn't read the script, let me break it down for you. Your character, Georges, is a bit of a low life. He's slumming it up in Paris circa sometime-a-long-time ago (the author chose not to disclose the actual year because she hates me). Apparently Georges used to be a soldier, but the only thing he fights now are the gargantuan cockroaches that try to share a blanket with him in his tiny attic apartment.

Low and behold though, wouldn't it be Georges Porgies luck that he runs into an old friend while trying to spend his last two shillings on a low-class whore. The friend, Charles, has since become very rich, running his own newspaper, The Parisian. Charles offers George a job at the paper, despite the fact that Georges has never written anything in his entire life.

The job and Charles' friendship allow him a tiny opening into Paris' upper crust, which he exploits to the nth degree. You see Charles' and his two best buddies just happen to be married to the three most beautiful women in France. There's Madeline, Charles' impeccably smart and beautiful wife. There's Clotilde, the slutty one. And then there's Luc Rousset, the innocent Redhead. I think we all know where this is going, right?

Yes, Georges begins to seduce the women one-by-one with varying degrees of success. He starts off with Madeline, who he has the strongest connection to, but she thwarts his advances and claims, "I will never be your lover." So he moves on to the easiest target, Clotilde, who is so slutified that she actually buys the two a bang bungalow, a special place exclusively for their daily bang. But this is not enough for Georges. He craves excess. And when Charles succumbs to some distant cousin of the Bubonic Plauge (an early version of swine flu maybe?) Georges swoops in and marries his true love, Madeline.

Oh but if it were that easy. After marrying Madeline, he learns that she just isn't that interested in him. In fact, she pulls out the virtual chastity belt and basically tells him "You do your thing, I'll do mine." So what does Georges do in return? What do you think he does! He makes a move on Luc Rousset (who's a woman - I know, it's confusing) and starts a dangerous fling in the bang bungalow that Clotilde bought specifically for them. If there was a Renaissance version of Cheaters, this shit would be ripe for the season finale.

Because Georges is a moron, he doesn't realize that you never cheat on anyone with a girl with red hair! Because when a red hair shows up in your bed, you can't explain it away. "Uhh, maybe your hair is turning red?" Doesn't work. I've tried it. So Clotilde leaves him. He leaves Luc Rousset. And Madeline won't even return any of his texts. Is this Bel Ami or The Real Housewives of Atlanta?

Anyway, Georges ends up just as poor and helpless as where he started in the movie, before making a last-second power play and marrying Luc Rousset's daughter of all people (who up til this point hadn't even spoken a line). It was such a bizarre turn of events I sent my life size poster of Robert Pattinson to the closet for a time out. Luc Rousset plays the least important role of the three ladies, so what they were trying to say by having Georges marry her daughter is a complete mystery to me.

There were some good moments tucked into Bel Ami. The relationship between R_Patz and Madeline was interesting, as she tended to treat him like he treated everyone else. But outside of that, this felt like a salacious excuse for a bunch of smelly French sex.

[ ] What the hell did I just read?
[x] barely kept my interest
[ ] worth the read
[ ] impressive
[ ] genius

What I learned: All joking aside, if you have an unmarketable screenplay, try to target actors who like taking chances. Very few A-list actors would take on a role like this and therefore Bel Ami was destined to wither in screenplay obscurity. But Pattinson seems interested in trying new things (he's also playing a Cherokee Indian in Unbound Captives) so a script like Bel Ami is something he might actually read. The owners of the material took a chance and it paid off. As writers, you're always looking to add to the "package" of your screenplay with actors and directors. Even if you have a slow non-mainstream piece, if you've done your homework and know a few actors who might be interested in your offbeat independent film (Dicaprio with The Low Dweller, Pattinson with Unbound Captives, Nicolas Cage with Leaving Las Vegas), you might find your script going from unwanted to the hottest screenplay in town. Now getting to those actors is another thing altogether. But it's another avenue to pursue.

And the IMDB page which currently is essentially blank
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440732/
Last edited by robsten4life on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I promise to love you forever - every single day of forever~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robsten4life
Jackson's Riding Instructor

Re: Bel Ami

Postby summergirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:29 am

I LOVE being spoiled, but should you put

SPOILERS

at the top of your post - just in case.........

:)
"Apart from the bear.........................did you see the bear?"
summergirl
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby dazzledtodeath » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:29 pm

Does anyone have the script for this? JAG over at Random Acts of Rob posted about it today, and it sounds(gulp) HOT. Like they better put plastic slipcovers on the theater seats hot. I'm dying to see the script.
dazzledtodeath
Phil's Baseball Coach

Postby Alexandra » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:04 am

dazzledtodeath wrote:Does anyone have the script for this? JAG over at Random Acts of Rob posted about it today, and it sounds(gulp) HOT. Like they better put plastic slipcovers on the theater seats hot. I'm dying to see the script.

I haven't seen the script, but I found the original book on Classic Reader.com. It wasn't exactly like the script as described above, but pretty similar. Different ending as I recall.
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby True Cullen Spirit » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:30 pm

I am sure this movie will be a success. Can't wait for the posters and stills from this set. I mean seriously who cares what the movie is about, Rob partially nude, are we really looking for a good story??? I was sold, beforehand.
True Cullen Spirit
Phil's Baseball Coach

Postby MariaCecilia » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Yes,I read Bel-Ami for my French class ages ago, and didn't go for it much then, but I guess I should get back to it now and try to picture Rob in all the right places ;)

Will love to see him in a period piece - Rob in period costume, yummy - and see what he makes of this character. Can he pull it off, make us both love and hate this man, with all his weaknesses? I look forward so much to following his development as an actor, see him broaden his scope. The only thing I really can't imagine him doing is a straight-forward action movie... But then again, James McAvoy went and did Wanted, so who knows? Go for it, Rob!
You' re on your honour, ´cause I' m a goner, and you haven't even begun.
So do me a favour, if I should waver: be my saviour and get us the gun..
So, don't work your stuff, because I've got troubles enough
No, don't pick on me, when one act of kindness could be - deathly...
MariaCecilia
Phil's Baseball Coach

Postby Sparklegirl » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:45 am

I just finished reading the book and I have to say that there should be a fair few sex scenes if the movie stays remotely true to the book :D
I am having a hard time trying to imagine Rob with a big curly mustache though!
ImageImage
Sparklegirl
Renee's Cooking Instructor

Postby TLG » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:04 pm

SPOILERS WITHIN

Does anyone have a link to the script? You could PM me if you have it and could email it.

I just finished reading the book. It was very good. I'll say his character is a total ahole! But still, picturing Rob as the lead made me a wee bit more sympathetic to the character.

One thing I'll say is that late 19th century literature is very vague on sex scenes, so it will definitely be some improvising on the part of the screenplay writer. But he beds 5 women in this book! So there has to be quite a bit of sex going on.

I really enjoyed the book. If anyone wants to discuss it, please do so! I'd love to "talk" about it with others. I'm interested to see who they cast as Rachel, the hooker he picks up in the beginning of the book. Christina Ricci will be great as Clotilde. I wonder if the script calls for a sex scene with Kristin Scott Thomas. She is 50 years old! Awesome.
TLG
107 Year Old Virgin

Postby loving40s » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:41 pm

TLG wrote:SPOILERS WITHIN

Does anyone have a link to the script? You could PM me if you have it and could email it.

I just finished reading the book. It was very good. I'll say his character is a total ahole! But still, picturing Rob as the lead made me a wee bit more sympathetic to the character.

One thing I'll say is that late 19th century literature is very vague on sex scenes, so it will definitely be some improvising on the part of the screenplay writer. But he beds 5 women in this book! So there has to be quite a bit of sex going on.

I really enjoyed the book. If anyone wants to discuss it, please do so! I'd love to "talk" about it with others. I'm interested to see who they cast as Rachel, the hooker he picks up in the beginning of the book. Christina Ricci will be great as Clotilde. I wonder if the script calls for a sex scene with Kristin Scott Thomas. She is 50 years old! Awesome.

TLG, yes, in the script he does kristin Scott Thomas's character once on the floor. one scene with Uma's character, she does him on a chair and he climaxes! yep, and another big O with Clotilde (Ricci) in bed. I think this movie may kill me....we'll spontaneously combust. I will PM your the script.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rob, I'd like to show you why 40's are fabulous!
loving40s
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby SingleStrand » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:49 pm

I just read this tonight and oh. my. fuck. This movie is going to literally kill me. I will die. I can't even articulate all the things I can't wait to see Rob do in it. I'll be back after I've changed my pants and dreamt about Georges all night. Maybe then I can type clearly.
SingleStrand
Fake Lesbian

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:06 pm

reactions from a recent screening ( spoilers!)

...Oh and minors might want to look away lol. First I will give you some details on Rob's nudity. The full naked butt scene is one of the first scenes in the movies. I think it's with some prostitue, I'm not sure. It's in a dark room and you see the sex from above, his full naked back and butt, there was DEFINITELY thrusting not just the tip LOL. Then there were some sex scenes with Christina Ricci. Mostly like the ones we saw in the trailer, you know the 'i missed you so much' sex scene. You get to see more thrusting and his super sexy back again. Then those are kinda the last of the graphic sex scenes, but Rob is just overall so incredibly sexy in this movie. The sex scene with Uma Thurman is pretty weird and no nudity in that one.

The movie itself was good, but I feel like they cut out a lot of the storyline in order to give Rob more screen time and so I feel like the movie had more potential. But that's just my humble opinion of course.

Holy fucking shit. I’ve just seen Bel Ami, and HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Can’t think straight right now!

For those who do not want to be spoiled, all I’m gonna say is that Rob’s performance is extraordinary! It’s something so different than what we’re used of him and he fucking nailed the part! That man can act! (Not that I didn’t know that already!)

HOT, NAKED ROB! Do I need to say more?

Yes, we get a lovely view of Rob’s well trained but. *drools*

I swear I was almost drooling throughout the entire movie.

There were about three or four (Sorry, I lost count. Don’t blame me, this movie was too much to handle!) mayor sex scenes! (YES, MY DEARS, WITH THRUSTING!) The first one ‘s already after five minutes. Dear god, me was not ready yet. AND IT’S HOT!

And Uma, HELL TO THE YES! Let’s say she almost raped Georges! Hilarious scene though! Rob’s face is so hilarious, I can’t even!

I did feel bad for Clothilde (played by Christina Ricci) She’s an amazing actress!

And when George gets mad. ASdklfjqsmdfjmqldfjq, *Dead*

Rob’s performance is amazing! It’s so different from what we’ve seen of him so far. And I like it. Bye good image, ‘cause George Duroy is one smug bastard!

So prepare yourself before you go see this movie! THIS SHIT IS HOT!

-Some more thoughts on the acting in #BelAmi. I think Rob did a very good job, he plays angry and frustrated very well. He wasn't very likeable, which was how it's supposed to be, if I understand what the book is about( I haven't read it) Basically, he's an ass. In one scene he threw Kristin Scott Thomas on the floor, and it was just so well done, scene like that must be hard to act. When he gets angry at those guys for going behind his back and throws him out of the house, it's very believable. We see part of this in the trailer. He didn't remind me of Edward at all in this movie. Uma Thurman has such a lovely voice. She's was great. I loved Christina Ricci, she did an amazing job.

-Oh, and I'm disappointed Rob didn't speak French You're in Paris for christ's sake!

-So Bel Ami was AWESOME Quite some sex scenes (and thrusting Rob, obviously). I haven't read the book yet, so I can't really compare the storyline, but I thought the storyline in the movie was really good. I don't want to tell spoilers so I'll just shut up about the storyline (': Oh and Rob's acting was great, of course. Like really, everything looked perfect. But that's what we expect from him, right? (; And, not to forget, he looked really hot. Like, REALLY hot. The last scene was just like... BAM. GOODBYE OVARIES. Yeah, it really is one of my favourite Rob movies now (:

Okay you can't really see this as a review of Bel Ami, I suck at writing reviews, you see. But I just wanted to share this with you guys, and I'm really looking forward to the moment you can all watch it and we can all be excited together
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 pm

one more

Well ladies, I just got home from seeing Bel Ami and don’t know where to start.
Although the story is very confronting and depressing in itself, the movie is great.

The rhytm of the movie feels like a dance, a waltz of some sorts, that flows with the ups and downs in the story and the music score supports that feeling.

As you all know it starts down, depressing, but in the first scene spirits are lifted as Duroy meets Forrestier, an old army “friend” who invites him for dinner at his home the next day and gives him some money to dress appropriately. Seeing Georges/Robert’s smile of alleviation lifts the atmosphere of that scene completely. But than you are pulled down again as he is fiddling with the money and you don’t know whether he is using it for clothes or something else. Because in the next scene you see him (yes that is the famous butt scene) *beep* a prostitute doggy style and butt naked and it is just that, plain impersonal hard *beep* Purely getting off.

I can assure you that it is weird to see Robert Pattinson in that scene, because we are not used to seeing him in that kind of role and it takes some getting used to.
But then the spirits lift again when he attends the dinner party and meets the 3 women who are crucial in the rest of the story and gets his breakthrough. And so it goes on throughout the story … with life’s (lift) ups and (being put) downs brought together in one intricate well coordinated and fluent “dance”.

Throughout the movie you see George Duroy evolve from a desperate poor young man who is basicaly capable of loving and caring to an egocentric, proud and vengeful bastard who uses everybody and everything to get what he wants and to execute his revenge. In other words he loses himself, but in the end doesn’t care anymore because the only thing that still counts is being on top and winning.

Robert Pattinson nailed this part brilliantly. One moment he lets you believe that Duroy is this kind, but desperate young man and the next you hate his guts because he’s just being a bastard and is only looking out for number one.

In the beginning of the movie he plays Duroy as a somewhat fumbling young man who is quite insecure but who wants to get a break to make something out of himself. But at the same time you can see that he knows of the effect he has on women. Although at first he is also quite insecure and awkward in that context too.

The first love scene with Clothilde is sweet and yes, quite sexy. And their next encounters are romantic and loving.

She lifts Duroy up to another level, and at the same time makes him much more confident. Until he moves on to the next woman, and the next success, and the next woman, and the next … and ultimately he becomes an egocentric selfish bastard. And also that side of Duroy is excellently portraited by Robert, because he genuinely makes you hate his guts … he is simply a prick, an ass ! But then at the end of the movie during his interaction with Clothilde the sweetness that was there at the beginning resurfaces enough for you to understand that he is simply a prisoner of his own life, a result of his own shortcomings and weaknesses.

Robert Pattinson blew me away in this movie. I always felt that he was a good actor, more so in his non-Twilight movies, because the character of Edward Cullen has it’s limitations and occasionaly made me doubt. But this movie is a whole different ballgame. What he did here is without any doubt A-level, and anyone who says differently simply refuses to give credit where it belongs. How he does it is beyond me, but throughout the movie Robert perfectly keeps on balancing between the egocentric selfsecure bastard, Duroy, who is “a man of the world” and wants to believe he is on top of his game, and between the desperate fumbling, but charming Georges or”Bel Ami” who time after time is confronted with the fact that although he is desperate to believe he is a “success” is ultimately being *beep* over by the people he thinks he is using.

The interaction between Robert and Christina Ricci was really convincing. Clothilde is the only woman in the movie he makes love to and it feels like the connection is really there. Their scenes are the only “warm and comfortable” scenes throughout the movie.

Uma Thurman and Kristin Scott Thomas did a very good job, but the essence of the interaction between their characters and Duroy is very different, he simply uses them and gets used.
One scene with Uma is very hard to see. They are married and he approaches here for sex while they are working and to get him off her cases she *beep* him very businesslike and clinical where he keeps on begging her to stop. The look on his face is almost as if he is being raped as he cries out and begs for her to stop.

To end this I just want to mention one more thing that happened during the screening and that seemed a bit odd to me. There were scenes where practically everybody started to laugh. OK they were scenes where he fumbles or acts akwardly, but it was weird because it is such a loaded film and still the whole theater started to full out laugh. And it just made me wonder whether that was really the director’s purpose or not …

PS : to answer one more question here … the movie ends when Duroy is getting married to his former mistress Virginie and her husband, his opponent’s daughter, who is loaded with money and he leaves the church with the biggest smile of accomplishment on his face … his beautiful bright smile while he walks from the shadows of the church into the sunlight …
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:52 am

Bel Ami press conference, Berlin film festival

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:47 pm

So, did anyone actually WATCH this movie? Esp. since its free in Netflix & amazon prime?

I will confess that I started watching it, loved seeing RP in it, but... the story line just stunk to much for me, I'm sad to say I ended up flouncing it...

So - to repeat my question... did anyone watch it all the way through?
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby Alexandra » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Muffinmom wrote:So, did anyone actually WATCH this movie? Esp. since its free in Netflix & amazon prime?

I will confess that I started watching it, loved seeing RP in it, but... the story line just stunk to much for me, I'm sad to say I ended up flouncing it...

:oops: :oops: *Raises hand* I read the book a while back, so I knew what to expect about the story line. And it was playing on the plane when I flew to London last summer, so yeah I watched it on the plane.
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby BrooklynBabe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:37 pm

It's been on directv so I watched it again. As I have said in the past, I was disappointed, not in Rob's performance per se but the way they told the story, especially the sometimes jarring or confusing scene changes which weren't his fault. If I hadn't read the book I think I would have been totally lost. Sometimes I thought Rob's facial expressions were a little distracting, trying to convey too much, but I still thought he was very good with what he had to work with. But his greasy hair skeeved me out to no end.

But the sex scenes were hot.

It could have been a much better movie with a better screenplay and direction. In the book I really disliked Georges which was intentional but in the movie I felt sympathy for him.

Still worth seeing naked ass Rob.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby amynkansas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Muffinmom wrote:So, did anyone actually WATCH this movie? Esp. since its free in Netflix & amazon prime?

my mom bought me the dvd for christmas. i didn't hate it. liked it better than The Haunted Airman, that's for sure.

just sayin'
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby Muffinmom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 pm

amynkansas wrote:my mom bought me the dvd for christmas. i didn't hate it. liked it better than The Haunted Airman, that's for sure.

just sayin'

LOL! Rob (esp. THAT Rob) was the only redeeming feature of the what I saw of the movie, the plot just turned me off completely though.
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Return to Board index

Return to The (other) Movies