Go to footer

Pimping your P2P using Fanfiction.net

Want to ask a question about a fic? Technical questions about the sites that host fics? Know you read a story about Jackson dating Angela who cheats on him with Jessica but can't remember where? Discuss that all here!

Moderator: kelbel75

Pimping your P2P using Fanfiction.net

Postby Muffinmom » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Did you know that Hydraulic Level 5 has been P2P’d, it was published yesterday on amazon? Image

Coincidentally, Gondolier also published a couple of Fanfiction outtakes to the story. Hmmm!!! Image

I thought it was interesting that she used FF to first generate her original story and then market it. Thoughts?

On one hand its nice that she’s acknowledging her fans, but on the other hand it feels like she’s using her FF readers to sell her book – ie using FF to make money where I thought FF is supposed to be a free, for the fans medium.

I have my own PDF copy so I’m not going to buy the new one. I did consider it until I heard that the Edward character is now a Mexican American one. EWW!!! Nothing wrong with Hispanics (I *am* one after all) but it just doesn’t match in my brain with my ideas of what this character should look like. I guess that’s one way to distance this book from Twilight?

BTW -Made the mistake of mentioning this to DH – believe me it’s the LAST time I mention P2P to him, he got majorly defensive about the author’s right to use their material!! EECk!!! Darn photographer and his photo logic! Image
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Re: Pimping your P2P using Fanfiction.net

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 am

I haven't had this discussion in awhile, I almost forgot how strongly I feel about it...almost ;)

I am not a fan of pulling to publish AT ALL. if the author tweaks the storyline significantly, adds some new characters instead of just changing the old one's names, cleans up the flow and actual writing considerably; then maybe I'd be more forgiving. but even then, it DEFEATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE & CONCEPT OF FANFICTION!!

fanfiction, no matter what site hosts it for you, is supposed to be for practice, for fun, a platform to make you a better writer in various ways. it's not for you to make money off of :roll: now I won't say it wouldn't be tempting to just use the story you know people already like and that you put so much work into, in order to try and make a name for yourself out there in the real writing world, but just because it's understandably tempting doesn't mean you should chuck your integrity out the window and take the easiest path :x

coincidentally, my husband sees nothing wrong with this concept either :roll: he's a very black & white thinker though. he thinks that if you wrote it then it's yours to do with as you wish. but you used someone else's original ideas to plug your mediocre ones into...and then make money off of it; how is that right? but then that morphs into copyrights and what constitutes an original idea and blah, blah, blah. it's one thing for a story to remind you of another one you read, but when it's so similar that you know what story it was based on just by reading, then that is not original ;)

and then there's the off-shoot issue of cutting out the publishers and selling anything, willy nilly, on amazon as an e-book. if this keeps up, the standard for literature is going to be so low :?

now don't get me wrong, I LOVE fanfiction, & will defend it to the death...but it's not right to make money off of it.

I bought a North & South fanfic off of amazon for $3 before; it was really good :D it stated, upfront, that it was a continuation of that story. so, in that regard, it's more acceptable, I think. that particular author is dead, there would be no copy-write issues, etc. it's not pretending to be something it's not :| but then there is still the whole issue of "trying it out" on fanfiction. net to gain an audience, etc...
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:38 pm

I kinda feel like you do... I just thought it felt very wrong that she's using fanfiction for promoting her book...
Like she's milking FF for all its worth. Not nice! Image

Sorry if I brought back any annoying emotions related to P2P!!
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Muffinmom wrote:I kinda feel like you do... I just thought it felt very wrong that she's using fanfiction for promoting her book...
Like she's milking FF for all its worth. Not nice! Image

Sorry if I brought back any annoying emotions related to P2P!!

I've actually been thinking about this issue again lately anyway. the Richard Armitage fandom that I'm now active in has fanfiction too. nowhere near the same scale as Twilight, but it's still a popular thing :) some of those authors publish the e-books on amazon too :? most of the time their stories are more canon and not just pure smut (like 50) but regardless of style or tone, the same arguments still apply.

if an author sees nothing wrong with making money off of fanfic, then they're probably not going to see promoting it on the free site that gave them their false sense of security to begin with, as wrong either ;)
kelbel75
Craft Services

Return to Board index

Return to Miscellaneous