Go to footer

You brought a snack....It better be a healthy one!

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: You brought a snack....It better be a healthy one!

Postby JodieO » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 am

Muffinmom wrote:So I ended up biking to BBC's Jane Eyre this morning (Bella loves Heathcliff, I am more partial to Mr Rochester).

Blah blah blah challenge support whatever.

The important question is: Which version of Jane Eyre did you watch?
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 am

amynkansas wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:I'm contemplating doing something drastic: giving up pop for Lent :o I may just be setting myself up for failure :? but if may also be just the thing I need to break me of the daily habit 8-) I'll be sure to share my progress...*bites fingernails in nervousness*

I will do it with you. make drinking other things (water, crystal light, tea) very accessable to make it easier.
Let's DO THIS!!!

I was also thinking of giving up candy...not sweets but candy. Is that the pussy way?
and I may try to go back to going to church. I haven't been going regularly for almost a year. My DH goes every Sunday...
I am just not a fan of organized religion. I could write lots about that but I won't here.

yes, let's detox together! :P

I do go to church quite regularly, but my beliefs are all over the board :roll: so I'm a big fan of picking and choosing what is best for me ;) and that is OKAY, b/c I was given a brain, it only stands to reason that I'm supposed to use it...
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:26 am

JodieO wrote:
Muffinmom wrote:So I ended up biking to BBC's Jane Eyre this morning (Bella loves Heathcliff, I am more partial to Mr Rochester).

let's skip the chit-chat and get to the really important topics :lol: you're a girl after my own heart :D

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 am

Muffinmom wrote:Speaking of Bella, we have a new coop that looks *just* like Kristen (ok I lie, she's prettier than K!).

so are you saying a WHOLE hen house looks prettier than Kristen? you're mean :? :lol:
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 pm

JodieO wrote:

I'm watching the version I found in Netflix with Timothy Dalton (1983 BBC). I've only seen the parts with the young Jane, so no Mr R yet, but I like this version so far.

kelbel75 wrote:
Muffinmom wrote:Speaking of Bella, we have a new coop that looks *just* like Kristen (ok I lie, she's prettier than K!).

so are you saying a WHOLE hen house looks prettier than Kristen? you're mean :? :lol:

LMAO! You're probably right about a COOP looking prettier, but I was referring to a new INTERN (she's a new employee that's rotating between divisions).
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby JodieO » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Muffinmom wrote:
JodieO wrote:

I'm watching the version I found in Netflix with Timothy Dalton (1983 BBC). I've only seen the parts with the young Jane, so no Mr R yet, but I like this version so far.

Ooh! I haven't seen that one yet. Timothy Dalton seemed awfully pretty for Mr. Rochester, but I will give it a whirl if you say it's worth watching. I flove Jane Eyre. The Ciaran Hinds version is my favorite.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Muffinmom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:49 pm

JodieO wrote: Ooh! I haven't seen that one yet. Timothy Dalton seemed awfully pretty for Mr. Rochester, but I will give it a whirl if you say it's worth watching. I flove Jane Eyre. The Ciaran Hinds version is my favorite.

Ok, will let you know how this version is, once I get to meet Mr R. Haven't seen the Ciara Hinds version or any others for that matter... something to be remedied asap! :lol:
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby JodieO » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Muffinmom wrote:
JodieO wrote: Ooh! I haven't seen that one yet. Timothy Dalton seemed awfully pretty for Mr. Rochester, but I will give it a whirl if you say it's worth watching. I flove Jane Eyre. The Ciaran Hinds version is my favorite.

Ok, will let you know how this version is, once I get to meet Mr R. Haven't seen the Ciara Hinds version or any others for that matter... something to be remedied asap! :lol:

I may or may not have shed a few tears at the end.

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby obava » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:59 am

Hallo lovelies! I haven't really replied to anyone for awhile but I'd quickly like to remedy that.

Any of you can text me when you need immediate support! If you don't already have my cell #, PM/DM/FB message/email me :D

Abs- YAAAAAY for your new job! I'm sure we'd all love to hear more if you're willing to share...

Jane Eyre is my fave! I've only seen Masterpiece Theatre's version from 2007. I own it, but can't actually find it...must have loaned it out :cry: :x

This week's WC is to tell you about a life goal- the one I'm dealing with the most right now is getting my finances in order. I'm not *bad* with money, but money has a very "slippery" quality to me. I've never been able to get a checkbook to balance and I don't understand IRAs, stocks, life insurance, CDs, 401Ks, or even my own mortgage. I thought that once I graduated from University, that I'd finally be making some decent money and would have enough to not splurge, exactly, but to not have to nickle and dime everything and also to save for retirement, buy birthday presents for friends, travel a bit, get a real hairdresser and get my hair done every 6 weeks, get some repairs done to my house...you know, be a grownup finally! The sad truth is that I actually was living better when I was in school and taking out student loans (of which I currently owe $75,000 :? :oops: ). I am working 2 jobs and not saving anything- not for a rainy day, not for my kids' college, not for retirement, not for that Arizona spa trip my BFF & I have been dreaming about for over a decade, not the 6 month's of living expenses we are all supposed to have.

The thing is, I don't know how to figure this all out on my own. I feel like I need a financial counselor or case manager or something- someone who knows what they're doing and can gather all my stuff and lay it out for me.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Been in this situation yourself? Books aren't really going to cut it at this point- I need action and help that is specific to my situation.

xoxo O
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby JodieO » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 am

obava wrote:This week's WC is to tell you about a life goal- the one I'm dealing with the most right now is getting my finances in order. I'm not *bad* with money, but money has a very "slippery" quality to me. I've never been able to get a checkbook to balance and I don't understand IRAs, stocks, life insurance, CDs, 401Ks, or even my own mortgage. I thought that once I graduated from University, that I'd finally be making some decent money and would have enough to not splurge, exactly, but to not have to nickle and dime everything and also to save for retirement, buy birthday presents for friends, travel a bit, get a real hairdresser and get my hair done every 6 weeks, get some repairs done to my house...you know, be a grownup finally! The sad truth is that I actually was living better when I was in school and taking out student loans (of which I currently owe $75,000 :? :oops: ). I am working 2 jobs and not saving anything- not for a rainy day, not for my kids' college, not for retirement, not for that Arizona spa trip my BFF & I have been dreaming about for over a decade, not the 6 month's of living expenses we are all supposed to have.

The thing is, I don't know how to figure this all out on my own. I feel like I need a financial counselor or case manager or something- someone who knows what they're doing and can gather all my stuff and lay it out for me.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Been in this situation yourself? Books aren't really going to cut it at this point- I need action and help that is specific to my situation.

xoxo O

If you find out, let me know. :? I'm right there with you. I don't feel like I splurge, either, but even the sad little pile I had saved to buy a new car has recently started to dwindle to pay for stupid, but necessary things. :cry:
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 am

JodieO wrote:
obava wrote:This week's WC is to tell you about a life goal- the one I'm dealing with the most right now is getting my finances in order. I'm not *bad* with money, but money has a very "slippery" quality to me. I've never been able to get a checkbook to balance and I don't understand IRAs, stocks, life insurance, CDs, 401Ks, or even my own mortgage. I thought that once I graduated from University, that I'd finally be making some decent money and would have enough to not splurge, exactly, but to not have to nickle and dime everything and also to save for retirement, buy birthday presents for friends, travel a bit, get a real hairdresser and get my hair done every 6 weeks, get some repairs done to my house...you know, be a grownup finally! The sad truth is that I actually was living better when I was in school and taking out student loans (of which I currently owe $75,000 :? :oops: ). I am working 2 jobs and not saving anything- not for a rainy day, not for my kids' college, not for retirement, not for that Arizona spa trip my BFF & I have been dreaming about for over a decade, not the 6 month's of living expenses we are all supposed to have.

xoxo O

If you find out, let me know. :? I'm right there with you. I don't feel like I splurge, either, but even the sad little pile I had saved to buy a new car has recently started to dwindle to pay for stupid, but necessary things. :cry:

my MIL is a tax advisor & my DH is pretty handy in the financial dept as well; I'll ask & see what they suggest ;)
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 am

today is "day #1" of the "no pop" for Lent...and "aunt flo" showed up last night; this isn't looking good...

btw AMY: since you're going on this "no pop" journey too, I should probably clarify that I'm going the traditional "Lent" route; so that means I can have pop on Sundays and it's over on Easter ;) I don't know if you're going completely "cold turkey" or what, but that is my time-frame & "rules" :P
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Kel - if you do the giving up pop thing right, I promise you that by the end of lent you'll not be craving it anymore. When I did it, I found that I needed a substitute for the pop - I made a point of having water handy all the time, so that I'd have something to reach for when I had the urge to drink pop. And now when I have it, it tastes too sweet. Good luck! Image

Obava - I knew I loved you for a reason!! I reserve the right to txt you as my AP, feel free to txt me too! Image
Don't have much advice for your question though... though I do have some possible ideas... 1) keep track of your *all* expenses for the next week /month to see where its going. 2) decide which of those expenses can be cut out/reduced 3) see if you can make some $ by declutering (summer garage sale/ ebay?) 4) brush up your resume, keep on looking for a new job. Good luck!

Just got back from the dentist. Again. I swear, we seem to have a standing date every few weeks. But hopefully the end is near!

Ash Wednesday - and haven't figured out what to give up (all I know is that its NOT RP or LTT!) Considering limiting the times I spend reading FF, not sure if I'd survive the withdrawals... Image

Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby LCneiny » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 pm

YOU GUYS. I'm miserable over here. All I want to do is EAT.ALL.THE.THINGS. And when I'm done I want to eat everything else. I don't know what's wrong with me!! (Maybe I do, AF is coming :evil: ) Ugghhh I'm trying so hard to resist. At least I'm reaching for healthy snacks, but still - too much food is bad! Plus I'm stressed at work and am getting very little exercise.

When I'm not wallowing in a pity party for myself, I'll come back and respond to everyone and post this week's WC :cry:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:12 am

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:14 am

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 am

LC - when was the last time you had a checkup? Including checking your blood? I was finally able to take (some) control with my diet once I discovered how out of whack my thyroid, iron, & vitamin levels were. Also have you considered if you're sensitive to any foods? Is there any specific foods you're craving- that will give you a hint as to what your body is perhaps deficient in? How's your digestion?
Its kinda hard to start dieting when your body is all out of whack - and from your post it sounds like something is out of balance. Check it out! Image
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Happy Valentine's Day!

Postby Muffinmom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:15 am

Whatcha doing today?
My romantic DH wants to go for burgers so that's what we'll do to celebrate meeting 21 years ago today (on a blind date, no less!). Image

I forced myself to workout this morning, and will be watching my food VERY VERY carefully all day so I can enjoy my burger. Image

Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Re: Happy Valentine's Day!

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Muffinmom wrote:Whatcha doing today?
My romantic DH wants to go for burgers so that's what we'll do to celebrate meeting 21 years ago today (on a blind date, no less!).

aww, a blind date? that's sweet 8-)

we went out for an early lunch on monday (kids were in school & DH had the day off ;) ) so tonight I'm just going to make him a special dinner, i.e. not frozen or from a box :P and a cake w/the homemade icing that he loves :D

our first Valentine's Day was spent on a date at a Pauly Shore show :lol: (it was 1992 & we were in High School ;) )
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:02 pm

JodieO wrote:
obava wrote:The thing is, I don't know how to figure this all out on my own. I feel like I need a financial counselor or case manager or something- someone who knows what they're doing and can gather all my stuff and lay it out for me.

xoxo O

have you talked to your bank advisors about these things? if you have an account, then it's their job to go over ALL of these things and help make the best financial plan for you. I know from my own experience that you can't be afraid of feeling stupid tho, & so just nodding along ;) you have to say "I don't understand, explain it to me step by step" etc.

also, you say you've never been able to get your checkbook to balance. that sounds very scary to me :shock: clearly you are losing track of your money somewhere along the line. are credit cards your problem? (they are for a lot of people :( ) are you giving yourself too much actual cash that isn't being put aside for something specific? my DH has us use credit cards for almost EVERYTHING, and that way it's easy to see where it's all going :? he goes all out and researches which cards get the best rate & who gives the best rewards, etc. so that I buy groceries with one card, but use another when eating at restaurants, etc. it all gets confusing for me :roll: but finding all of those little deals and clipping coupons, etc. does save a lot of money.

my mother taught me early on that you put so much back a month REGARDLESS, for whatever you designate important (college fund, emergency fund, etc.) and stick to that amount for each and every paycheck, even if you have to live on generic mac&cheese until you get better at figuring out what your priorities are. but like Muffinmom said, really try to record where every dollar goes for awhile and try to cut corners where ever you can. my father was a coal-miner, went on strike all of the time :| my mom stayed at home with my brother and me, and my parents built the house we grew up in; first a basement home and then added onto the upper floor. she saved, saved, saved! we didn't have furniture in our living room upstairs for the first three years after it was built and it seemed like we never bought anything new. as a kid, I won't say I didn't whine and complain :oops: but really, we never went without; we always had nice things, it's just that we only got them at Christmas ;)

I think really, you just need to talk with people that you are comfortable with, friends, relatives, etc. and see how they do it, then apply that, as you can, to your situation. (I'd be happy to talk more in depth about this in a PM, if you want :) )
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby LCneiny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Abs - yay for new jobs!!

OK I guess I really need to watch North&South now. And Jane Eyre.

So for those of you who observe Lent, what did you give up? I'm always curious to hear what people choose. One year my friend gave up Target (yes, the store).

Kel - you can give up pop! I have faith in you :) Is that what you're doing too Amy?

Obava - I second Kel's and MM's suggestions. I have 2 things to add: I use Mint to track all my expenses and I love it, it's a great visual tool to see where all my expenses go. Plus it's automatic since you link your bank accounts/credit cards to it and you make your own categories. I also set up automatic savings transfers that happen on the day I get paid. So the day I get my paycheck, right away X amount of dollars comes out of checking and goes to a savings account that I don't look at every day. That way it's not in my checking so I won't spend it. If that sounds like something you can do, start small, like $20 or something. Then when you get comfortable with that, up it to $30 or $50. Gradual changes work better for me when it comes to money. Hope that helps a little!

MM - thanks for your concern :) That's a big reason I made the appt with a functional MD. I get blood work regularly but never had it looked at from a holistic standpoint, just for the female hormone indicators. I am convinced I have one or more food sensitivities. At the beginning of this year I did a detox with removing certain foods that could be considered highly problematic for most people, and yet I still felt bloated every day and my acne did not clear up. So yeah, I've got something I just don't know what yet. Next week I'm meeting with my doc to go over the results of all my tests, and I cannot wait to finally KNOW what's going on in my body.
You asked what I'm craving, and I know that's usually a good indicator of where I'm deficient, but I'm craving chocolate and I don't think I'm deficient there :) Honestly though I think it's my level of stress (cortisol) that's making me crave carbs and sweets. I also got a cortisol test done through the doc so I'll know for sure soon enough, yay!
ALSO, that's a perfect intro to my WC this week - getting my body back on track is my goal to make myself feel better. I'm tired of being tired and stressed and worried about my acne and feeling random aches and pains. Making this appointment with the functional doc was a much-needed step in the right direction, and also a long time coming. I'm so excited to see the results and hopefully make an action plan for improving my diet and health!

Also, happy VD to everyone!! We have nothing special planned. I may stop by the store and pick up some strawberries and chocolate. And then we'll probably camp out on the couch and watch TV together.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 am

LC (and everyone else too), instead of focusing your appetites on eating.all.the.things I present to you a little "dessert" to focus your appetites on.
YAY F.Me.Fridays!! (ps - it's also my last day of work at my poop job)

Image (PS whomever recommended Decoy Bride a few weeks ago - thanks. I watched it and it was a cute little distraction on a Sunday afternoon :D

I think that about covers the spectrum of tastes we have here.
Of course, no dessert is complete without the cherry on tip (oops, I meant top - that was totally Freudian!!!) :D

c'mon, you know your Roblove is still there :D

ETA: ACK - a lot of my photos are too big (TWSS). Pls bare with me, I will fix later this afternoon - I'm already late for my last day! Mods please don't burn my membership card!!!
Last edited by absolutelyvlc on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby JodieO » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:58 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:LC (and everyone else too), instead of focusing your appetites on eating.all.the.things I present to you a little "dessert" to focus your appetites on.
YAY F.Me.Fridays!! (ps - it's also my last day of work at my poop job)

ETA: ACK - a lot of my photos are too big (TWSS). Pls bare with me, I will fix later this afternoon - I'm already late for my last day! Mods please don't burn my membership card!!!

You are forgiven.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby obava » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 am

Abby- YAY for last day at your shit job! When do you start your awesome job? Did your private company get a fat, juice new contract??
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby JodieO » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 am

obava wrote:Abby- YAY for last day at your shit job! When do you start your awesome job? Did your private company get a fat, juice new contract??

OH YEAH! Hooray for the last day!

I was a bit distracted when I replied before.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Biggest Loser