Go to footer

Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby SeattleLisa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:37 am

SpunkyBookworm wrote:Don't worry Lisa, we'll go other places, too!! At least you can say that you haven't been there yet, while I'm pathetic and go at least once a year!


Gretchen- I thought I told you about this. I've been to Forks at least once pre-Twilight and once in March, 09, shortly after the Fever set in. I talked hubby into taking me and we stayed 2 nights at the "Cullen House". (Are you all 2nd hand embarrassed for me as you read this?) I met so many other crazies there. It actually was a pretty fun time. Hubby had fun too but said he never wants to go again. ha!

Off to bed- good night, All!
User avatar
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: just east of Forks


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby moaninmymouth » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:45 am

Oh hey! I'm back from my vacay in Romania (actually, I've been back for a week, but I was just too damn lazy to post) The holidays were ok, parents very happy to see me. My mom kissed me whenever she got the chance - whether I was eating, brushing my teeth or tying my shoelaces, didn't matter :roll: They were both very sweet. New Year’s was a disaster because we ended up wandering the cold, cold streets in search of a party that we didn’t find. But at least I was drunk the whole time :lol:

I’m not Bella, but my friends call me mimm, mimms, mimmsy or Andreea. I am one of the young ones, 22, still studying and working as a software developer in Austria. I have a long-time boyfriend that will probably end up my husband, but the subject scares us both so we don’t talk about it. You may notice me talking about puke every once in a while. That’s because I don’t need to lose any more weight, but have other food related issues: I am a recovering bulimic that can hardly wait to start therapy at the end of the month :D
My superpower would be dancing. Because I love to dance ;) If I was a vampire I would like to gather ALL fanfic-Edwards (the real one just doesn’t cut it for me anymore) and go-go dance (which is a skill I have yet to acquire) for each and every one of them and take my damn time, too :D

I was talking to a friend last night and at the end she told me that I started about 20 sentences with the words “This year I will…” I know I can’t do them all, but these are a few of my resolutions for 2011:
- Stop puking (obviously)
- Eat fish. Because I hate fish. But it’s healthy, so I already started by trying shark meat. I can’t really tell you anything about it other than it tastes fishy.
- Do yoga (Eat Pray Love is to blame for this one. I can only recommend reading the book – it’s funny, charming and informative.) This I have started too. Went yesterday for my first class ever. Hopefully it will help me find peace with myself.
- Chatter. I do not know how to talk about the weather. I’m guessing that my lack of small talk skills make me often come across as unfriendly towards unknown people. This goes hand in hand with goal to make lots of new and interesting friends.
- Stop ranting about people. The boyfriend and I make one mean couple. It’s ok to complain to your best friend every once in a while, but it’s almost become a sport for us lately. So we both decided to stop and use that time making love instead ;) Much, much love :D
- Go to squash once a week.
- Take more pictures.
- Stop procrastinating at work. (It's what I'm doing right.now.) If I ever want to be excellent at what I do, I'll have cultivate a better work ethic.

Hmmm, there were many others, but I can’t seem to remember them all. That should be enough anyways.

OK, now I gotta go get some work done! Love you all :*

PS: Welcome to the noobs!
PPS: Thank you Obava for the thoughtful card, you are incredibly sweet!
PPPS: Thank you cdubs for taking care of the herd of us!
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.

it's twittah!
User avatar
moaninmymouth
Fake Lesbian
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: on the other side of the planet


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby cdubs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am

LISA, before I forget (again) you should try to watch both commentaries on the dvd as soon as possible, I very much recommend both of them. I enjoyed them a lot!
And I don't mind the Ds stuff. At least not when the D is Edward Cullen
CarrieCee wrote:I got the link to travelling Rob, but I didn't get the link to the spreadhseet where we record our results... Is that on a different spreadsheet does anyone know??[/color]

Carrie, It's the same spreadsheet. There are tabs at the bottom, just click on the one for this week to enter your points. The tab called RC2011 has all the guidelines to we can reference them later if necessary. I will add a new tab for every week.
and what's wrong with the first couple of chapters of motu? why do you have a hard time getting thru them?
Your trip sounds awesome and I'm totally jealous! I've never been to Europe and I think I would really like it

To second Gina's thought, also, an email draft is your friend. AND, not worries Gina, starfish is just when you lie there and not really contribute to the "fun" at least that's what ive been told. it could mean something else by now...

And while i'm at it, if you've want to read about all the things i hate, my twitters is blufish27

MIMM - have you watch the movie EPL? I sadly do not have one single good thing to say about it. It was an absolute waste of my time. Id be interested to see what others think about it
I loveyour resolutions! I hope you can accomplish at least most of them.

Whit, I usually throw dry clean stuff in the wash anyway, in a laundry bag. I've never seen any ill effects

Court, welcome back!
User avatar
cdubs
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: TX


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby SeattleLisa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Claudia- I'm on it. I'll watch the Robsten commentary tonight. I finally watched the deleted/extended scenes (yawn) but liked the 6 part 'making of'. I actually liked David Slade, which surprised me.

Mimmsy- Welcome back! I so loved what you wrote about your Mom. Imma call my Mama today and tell her I love her.

Courtney- Yay!!! Welcome back. I'm sad I didn't get to see you at Christmas. Hope you had a good one. :D

CAT!- Ok, let's talk chocolate, smoothies, cycling and LOLA!
Just a little more background on me first. I've been challenged by binge eating disorder for 30+ years and I've learned dieting only exacerbates the problem. I've also learned to make peace with my huge inner chocoholic and we've been cohabitating rather peacefully this past year. (for the most part) Here's what works for me. I allow myself a little chocolate every day. I prefer really good rich dark chocolate. I LOVE Lindor Truffles, Andes mints (if I'm going cheap) and Gina turned me onto this:
Image
I allow myself only 1 square at a time and it is oh so satisfying. However I am unable to have junk food or sweets of any kind stored in my kitchen or like you, I'd be back and forth to the pantry 5 times. (I think you said that?) I have a system with Hubby. He hides the chocolate for me and every night after dinner, I ask him to bring out 2 small treats for me. It's totally out of sight, out of mind for me. I know approximately where he hides them but I've never allowed myself to look for them because this system has worked so well. (plus, if I'm binge eating, I'm going to the store to buy a shitload of junk food & eat it all in 1 sitting! dang it!) Anyway, that small amount of chocolate eliminates any feelings of deprivation. I believe food *should* be pleasurable as well as fuel and since I'm not dieting, why shouldn't I have a small, controlled amount every day? I count my calories and I have no guilt about this. (I still binge occasionally but that's another story.)
I also enjoy chocolate smoothies frequently. Here's what I throw together in the blender:

1 c water (or almond milk if I want it thicker)
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (you'll need to look around for a soy/dairy free one. I've seen one made from egg whites)
2 Tb Hershey's special dark cocoa (only 20 heavenly calories)
1 Tb agave nectar (natural sweetener, low glycemic, 60 calories but worth it since I don't crave sugar after drinking this)
1 c frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
2 Tb ground flaxmeal (I found out flax has to be ground up in order for us to utilize it better)

I don't always put the flax in and occasionally change up the fruit. I LOVE this smoothie because it's rich and tastes like a nutty (the flax), banana split milkshake. I often use it as a meal replacement on cycling days. I was really sold on agave. It's slightly higher in calories than table sugar but it doesn't flip that binge switch like sugar does.

Having said all this, I know everyone's journey towards healthy eating is different. One size does not fit all. If you can and want to give up the chocolate, do so. But I say why suffer if you don't have to?! As long as my blood glucose stays totally normal (which it IS, hollah CYCLING!), then I will keep indulging my chocoholic while continuing to let go of the binge eating. It's a tightrope walk for me but totally worth it. :D

CYCLING- As I've bragged many times before and will brag YET AGAIN, I put many many miles on my bike last year. 2,025 miles to be exact. I became a 4 season cyclist last January when I started my first LTT Challenge. I was out on my 2nd ride of the year, it started raining and I thought to myself, I can tuck tail and go home or I CAN DO IT ANYWAY. So I stayed out there and learned to tolerate riding in the rain. (and wind, and ice, and snow) Mostly it was a huge incentive to come back here and brag about my different accomplishments: learning to ride in traffic without having a heart attack, conquering hills, finally whupping Hubby's ass up a few hills, etc. I also started out the year with a brand spankin' new cyclocomputer which I love, love, love and hope Gina buys one, too. (Delta Ascent HR monitor) One of the reasons I brag so much is because I don't look like a cyclist: http://twitpic.com/3m6q10 I've received funny looks and even a snide comment or two, but I LOVE being out on a nasty day, having a "real" cyclist pass me (those skinny guys clad in sponsored jerseys) and see them give me a smile and a nod. I feel like I've arrived! I'm one of the cool kids! ha But I don't need to sell you on this. You know the joys of riding, how it feels to make some new hill your bitch, reeling other cyclists in then yelling "on your left!". Whew! So fun!
So, I have a Specialized Dolce Road Bike, that I received a few years ago from Hubby as a pseudo-wedding present. Best gift ever. He had wanted to buy me a bike since he's a lifelong cyclist. I balked because I wasn't convinced I'd ride since I hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid. Then a girlfriend convinced me to enter the Danskin sprint triathlon and another friend had a crappy old mountain-road-hybrid-cheap-Walmart bike that she gave me and I started training with it. I told Hubby to let me see if I'd like it before we invested. So he bought me my beautiful, super light (he can lift it with 1 finger), sleek, fast Beauty. I really liked cycling but didn't become addicted until this Challenge, last January. Then I became addicted to racking up the miles!
This June I'm going to attempt my first Century Ride. My longest 1 day ride has been 52 miles, I could have gone further that day but I ran out of daylight. So this year, I'm shooting for the Solstice and a 9:15pm sunset to try and get all 100 miles in. We'll see. In the meantime, I want to concentrate more on heart rate rather than the odometer and see if I can bring my heart rate down from 150 on this one hill that nearly kicked my ass yesterday!
(Has everyone nodded off? Hello! WAKE UP!)
Have you ridden a Century? Have you done any bike touring? I want to do that this summer, too. How you likin' the bike trainer? I read the reviews on that model and it sounds good. Do you watch anything on TV while you ride?

One last thing then I must go---- LOLA! Oh how I adore Ms. Lola. I found LTT because of her! She used to have a link to this website in her bio on ff.net. I happily found her stories a year and a half ago when she was still in the process of writing ALE. At that time one of my fave stories by a different author was pulled so I just knew I had to save Lola's work. I actually printed up her 2 monsters: LYLS & ALE. I never really liked Breaking Dawn but came to truly hate it after reading Lola. I will never read BD again because like you, Lola gave me the supremely satisfying (in all ways) ending to Stephenie's story. I agree, the sex couldn't be hotter. But I also love the maturity Lola brought to the story, Bella's arc, I was ecstatic at Bella's/Jasper's story and the gift she gave him! I've never loved Jasper more than here. I made the mistake of not saving all of THW and The Sweater. In fact, I haven't even finished reading THW! I haven't read the last chapter because I didn't want it to end! ha! I've been sitting on (I did print it, thankfully) it since mid-Sept and I'll get around to that soon. But I would love to have copies of those 2 stories and have been thinking of contacting someone like TwilightSherry (Lola's biggest cheerleader, it seems). Would you happen to have them? I've re-read LYLS & ALE but would like to re-read THW before I read that last chapter. Please tell me you have those 2 stories!

Ok, I feel like this entry is about as long as LYLS so I should end it here. I'm really excited to get to know you and swap stories on our Bike Bragging Days.

Oh wait, one last thing! Have you ever developed tendonitis in your elbow from cycling? I'm trying to deal with that now. ouch!
User avatar
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: just east of Forks


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby robzanne » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:50 pm

knock knock.. .can i come in ?
i last knocked on this threads door almost a year ago and then ran away before u answered, well im coming in this time so u better move over!
our new york meet up left me 8 fucking pounds heavier, i gotta do something about that shit!
im a good looser of weighter when i get going so im not too suicidal but im gonna need a stileto up my ass permanently and i hear u girls have the best show collection around !

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
robzanne
Dick & Clare's Neighbor
 
Posts: 6836
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Dancing on Robs shiteous Nike's at prom- Liverpool


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby Samalia » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Heller everyone!
I'm finally back in the homeland and caught up on posts after the week+ of time with Mr. D in backwoods Kentucky (okay it was actually Florence Y'all but still KY).

I slept in until noon today, no wake up be presentable point for me.
Yay for Sexercise! That means I get Mon & Tues points. Today I'll actually have to workout though. Boo.

@TCat: I want to comment on the shottiness of Pittsburgh roadways but I can't tell if it's a genuine feeling or just my normal hatred of all things Pitt coming through. I'm a Cincinnati girl through and through so it's hard to separate sports feelings from actual feelings some days ;) I'm a slight SEO geek so I was totally pickin up what you were putting down.

I had other comments but they've run together so from now on I shall keep up with postings and reply in a timely manner :)

OH! For the newbies- a) WELCOME! and
b) My cousin Ben's penis is sometimes a topic of conversation. We're not a strange kissing-cousins-wrong turn movie-family. He wore pants to my sister's wedding that made his junk look "effin' huge!" At one point on the dance floor his prego wife said "Ben, I feel like there's something between us, like we just aren't as close as we once were. It must be your huge penis!" So now it's a running joke and he makes sure it gets in every family picture.
Which I'll post later, they're being emailed to me :)
Viva Denim! (Oh Twittah!)
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Samalia
Renee's Cooking Instructor
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby SeattleLisa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Time for catch up with everyone else. I love intro week, too!

Robzanne- Welcome! If you want a stiletto up your ass to help drop those pesky eight pounds, we're here for you. So tell me what your exercise for today and tomorrow will be, hmmmm?

CC: I SO loved your enticing-Rob-with-your-tea-cosy hat story! I laughed so long and hard (twss) that hubby popped his head out of the other room to ask what I was laughing at. So of course I had to read your story to him and he got a good laugh, too. And he thinks you're nutty. :lol:

Gina- Can I just say how very, very, very happy I am that you no longer have that other horrid job and that you're not only happy with this new job, but you'll be able to bike to work this summer?? WOOHOO!!!
~~I'm also happy you've forgiven, or at least gotten over DD's xmas bitchiness. That's gotta be lighter on your heart.
~~Sorry to hear about your dental problems. yikes! Can you change dentists or is he the only game in town?
~~About SIL (sister-in-law). Hubby's immediate family is small, just 1 surviving parent and 1 sibling (BIL) and SIL is actually his long term partner, not his wife. But I digress. SIL & I do get along very well, partly because I just really want to get along with his family, which is mostly very easy to do. Mostly I'm willing to be beta to her alpha. She does have a softer side and it's taken me a long time to uncover it. I'm not sure what it'll be like when I move to Portland and see her more often. I'm hoping we become even better friends. Also BIL & SIL are waaaaayyyyyy into cycling, more than Hubby and me. I look forward to lots of cycling adventures with them, starting this spring. So no, I don't hate her nor do I want to. (but your feelings are your own! ha!) I was just so shocked and pleased that she even enjoyed Twilight.
~~Also Suicide Girls THANKFULLY is not snuff 'cuz I would have to leave if that were the case. :? The SG's are kind of like Betty Paige type pin-up girls but with a lot more of an edge plus tattoos. Hubby said he also likes them because they come in all shapes and sizes. Thank GOD he doesn't like skinny chicks. (not to offend you skinny bitches, here)
~~One last thing- Imma take a page out of your book and run on my mini-trampoline for 20 minutes while watching Eclipse.

Sam- Yay for all the sweaty, sexercise you've been getting! And of course, we're all looking forward to pictures of Cousin Ben's junk. Does he know how much we enjoy hearing his stories?
User avatar
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: just east of Forks


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby CarrieCee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:54 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:
SpunkyBookworm wrote:Don't worry Lisa, we'll go other places, too!! At least you can say that you haven't been there yet, while I'm pathetic and go at least once a year!


Gretchen- I thought I told you about this. I've been to Forks at least once pre-Twilight and once in March, 09, shortly after the Fever set in. I talked hubby into taking me and we stayed 2 nights at the "Cullen House". (Are you all 2nd hand embarrassed for me as you read this?) I met so many other crazies there. It actually was a pretty fun time. Hubby had fun too but said he never wants to go again. ha!

Off to bed- good night, All!


Oh I'm jealous. I would love to go, just out of curiousity. What is the "Cullen House"???
User avatar
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby CarrieCee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:00 pm

CarrieCee wrote:I got the link to travelling Rob, but I didn't get the link to the spreadhseet where we record our results... Is that on a different spreadsheet does anyone know??


cdubs wrote:Carrie, It's the same spreadsheet. There are tabs at the bottom, just click on the one for this week to enter your points. The tab called RC2011 has all the guidelines to we can reference them later if necessary. I will add a new tab for every week.
and what's wrong with the first couple of chapters of motu? why do you have a hard time getting thru them?
Your trip sounds awesome and I'm totally jealous! I've never been to Europe and I think I would really like it


Cool - thank you! I'm a little blonde when it comes to spreadsheets...
And I'm sure MoTU is great and all... But I thought the first couple of chapters weren't very well written so I had no desire to read any more. Don't shoot me!!! I'm so effing picky when it comes to fanfic though. I'll know within the first three or four paragraphs whether there's any chance I'm going to read more. And I never end up reading the big "blockbuster" types like Emancipation Proclomation and Just Wait or any of those types. I'm more about the writing style and characterisation, and less about the plot, if you know what I mean.
Anyways, enough talk about FF!!
I have to say I'm going terribly with this challenge and I've only just started!!! In the last three days I haven't eaten a single vegetable - unless you count the cabbage in the dim sims I ate for dinner last night... Wait, can I count that????
User avatar
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby CarrieCee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:
CC: I SO loved your enticing-Rob-with-your-tea-cosy hat story! I laughed so long and hard (twss) that hubby popped his head out of the other room to ask what I was laughing at. So of course I had to read your story to him and he got a good laugh, too. And he thinks you're nutty. :lol:


Haha, glad I could provide entertainment... :D Trust me, at the time it was less amusing and more incredibly humiliating.
User avatar
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby CarrieCee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:04 pm

robzanne wrote:knock knock.. .can i come in ?
i last knocked on this threads door almost a year ago and then ran away before u answered, well im coming in this time so u better move over!
our new york meet up left me 8 fucking pounds heavier, i gotta do something about that shit!
im a good looser of weighter when i get going so im not too suicidal but im gonna need a stileto up my ass permanently and i hear u girls have the best show collection around !



Yay! Robz is here! It's my first time too, Robz. We can be virgins together. Heehee. Long time since I've been able to say that...
User avatar
CarrieCee
Bouffant Brusher
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby SeattleLisa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:24 pm

CarrieCee wrote:
SeattleLisa wrote:
SpunkyBookworm wrote:Don't worry Lisa, we'll go other places, too!! At least you can say that you haven't been there yet, while I'm pathetic and go at least once a year!


Gretchen- I thought I told you about this. I've been to Forks at least once pre-Twilight and once in March, 09, shortly after the Fever set in. I talked hubby into taking me and we stayed 2 nights at the "Cullen House". (Are you all 2nd hand embarrassed for me as you read this?) I met so many other crazies there. It actually was a pretty fun time. Hubby had fun too but said he never wants to go again. ha!

Off to bed- good night, All!


Oh I'm jealous. I would love to go, just out of curiousity. What is the "Cullen House"???


I wanted to stay in a B&B in Forks and chose this place from the book "The Best Places of Kiss in the Northwest".

Image

It looks nothing like the Cullen House obviously but it's the closest thing the Forks Visitors Center could come to it. I had no idea tour buses would stop there and people would take pics and even come up on the porch. The owner/operators are a nice couple that probably hate Twilight but love the money it's bringing to them and to this once economically depressed town.
User avatar
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: just east of Forks


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby found-my-edward » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Speaking of the Cullen House, I'm taking a trip to Forks in April/May and we are staying at the Cullen House. :oops:
I've been to Forks once before and when my friends and I were planning our 2011 trip I mentioned that you could stay at the Cullen House and from that moment on they wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else. We're really dorky, crazed fans, so I'm sure we'll love it. My friends also want to do the Twilight Tour, but I can't decide. Has anyone heard if it's worth it? I found all of the "historic places" just fine by myself last time.

Is anyone else having trouble drinking 64oz of water?! I feel like I'm about to get water poisoning and I can't get any work done because I pee 10 times a day. I'm afraid people in my office are gonna start talking.
Image
User avatar
found-my-edward
107 Year Old Virgin
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:04 pm


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby SeattleLisa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:54 pm

found-my-edward wrote:Speaking of the Cullen House, I'm taking a trip to Forks in April/May and we are staying at the Cullen House. :oops:
I've been to Forks once before and when my friends and I were planning our 2011 trip I mentioned that you could stay at the Cullen House and from that moment on they wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else. We're really dorky, crazed fans, so I'm sure we'll love it. My friends also want to do the Twilight Tour, but I can't decide. Has anyone heard if it's worth it? I found all of the "historic places" just fine by myself last time.

Is anyone else having trouble drinking 64oz of water?! I feel like I'm about to get water poisoning and I can't get any work done because I pee 10 times a day. I'm afraid people in my office are gonna start talking.


I hope it didn't sound like I was dissing on the Miller Tree Inn B&B (aka the Cullen House). The innkeepers are so friendly, accommodating, put up with all the Twilight crap with a good sense of humor, are used to dealing with the Crazies and the breakfasts were soooooooooooooooo good. They also didn't mind that we stayed up super late talking with some other guests in the common area although later I found out the guests right above us could hear us. I would stay there again. We had a really great time.

I'm just making fun of going to Forks because I try and act like I'm above all this Twilight craziness when really I've just always been totally embarrassed by my involvement in it. I mean I'm in my 40's, married with no kids, so I can't even blame it on a daughter or anything. I just went nuts for no reason. Well except for this reason. Edward. Cullen.
User avatar
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: just east of Forks


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby TwilightCat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 am

Hi Lisa!

Your post is awesome! I feel like you're a long lost twin or something!

SeattleLisa wrote:I've been challenged by binge eating disorder for 30+ years and I've learned dieting only exacerbates the problem.


Good point. I have some binge tendencies, too, and I find that when I diet, my weight yoyos up and down. Dieting also tends to make me OCD -- the last time I seriously dieted back in my early twenties, I knew something was wrong when I started weighing everything I ate with a postage scale. Nowadays, I just eyeball my portions -- it keeps me from getting obsessive about my food.

SeattleLisa wrote:I've also learned to make peace with my huge inner chocoholic and we've been cohabitating rather peacefully this past year. (for the most part) Here's what works for me. I allow myself a little chocolate every day. I allow myself only 1 square at a time and it is oh so satisfying.


Making peace with the inner chocoholic -- much better than fighting against it. And mmmm, that Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt sure looks good!

SeattleLisa wrote:However I am unable to have junk food or sweets of any kind stored in my kitchen or like you, I'd be back and forth to the pantry 5 times. (I think you said that?)


Yup, five times on Monday. Although today I did really well and didn’t check the pantry even once (though I was out for part of the day, so that doesn’t quite count).

SeattleLisa wrote:I have a system with Hubby. He hides the chocolate for me and every night after dinner, I ask him to bring out 2 small treats for me. It's totally out of sight, out of mind for me. I know approximately where he hides them but I've never allowed myself to look for them because this system has worked so well.


I *LOVE* your system! That is awesome! This is what my parents used to do for me with Halloween candy (otherwise I would have eaten the entire bucket in one evening), and it worked really well back then. I’ll have to try this out with my bf! :D

SeattleLisa wrote:Anyway, that small amount of chocolate eliminates any feelings of deprivation. I believe food *should* be pleasurable as well as fuel and since I'm not dieting, why shouldn't I have a small, controlled amount every day?


Good point. It usually is the feeling of deprivation that makes me start gorging on chocolate and other sweets. I’m usually good for a few weeks, but then that little craving starts in the back of my mind, and gets stronger and stronger. Eventually, I can’t take it anymore, and I eat lots of sweet stuff (which I’m sure is way worse for my blood sugar than eating a little bit of sweet stuff each day). Anyway, you won’t hear me complaining -- I’m happy to have chocolate back in my life.

I’ll have to try your smoothie recipe. Strawberries are my fav, and strawberries + chocolate = heaven. The agave nectar sounds good, too. I had it in a fruit/nut protein bar from Trader Joes, and liked it. It didn’t spike my blood sugar, either, which is good (I’ve got a heritage of diabetes).

SeattleLisa wrote:CYCLING- As I've bragged many times before and will brag YET AGAIN, I put many many miles on my bike last year. 2,025 miles to be exact.


That is awesome! I put about 1500 miles on my bike per year when I was living in Massachusetts.

SeattleLisa wrote:I became a 4 season cyclist last January when I started my first LTT Challenge. I was out on my 2nd ride of the year, it started raining and I thought to myself, I can tuck tail and go home or I CAN DO IT ANYWAY. So I stayed out there and learned to tolerate riding in the rain. (and wind, and ice, and snow)


There is a huge amount of satisfaction in getting out on the bike in all weather and just doing it! I remember the first time I rode in a major fall rainstorm back in MA, about six months after I first starting biking. My bf and I were halfway done with a 30 mile loop, when it turned from a drizzle to an outright downpour. My bf asked me if I wanted to stop and look for shelter (we were near a campground) or if I wanted to go on ahead. I thought for a minute, and then said, “Let’s go on!” We were both soaked through by the time we got home, but it was an incredibly empowering experience -- I was strong enough to keep my bike on the road and maintain my cadence while biking fifteen miles in the pouring rain.

SeattleLisa wrote:I also started out the year with a brand spankin' new cyclocomputer which I love, love, love and hope Gina buys one, too. (Delta Ascent HR monitor)


I’ll check it out!

SeattleLisa wrote:You know the joys of riding, how it feels to make some new hill your bitch, reeling other cyclists in then yelling "on your left!". Whew! So fun!


Gah! Brings back so many memories! I love hills (which is why hilly Pittsburgh roads suck so much –- if they weren’t so deteriorated with so many cars, they would be AWESOME)!

SeattleLisa wrote:So, I have a Specialized Dolce Road Bike, that I received a few years ago from Hubby as a pseudo-wedding present. Best gift ever. He had wanted to buy me a bike since he's a lifelong cyclist. I balked because I wasn't convinced I'd ride since I hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid.


That’s my story, too. My bf has been an avid cyclist since he was a teenager – he rode from NJ to CA when he was eighteen, and hasn’t stopped cycling since. About a year after we met, he built me a really nice touring bike with awesome wheels that fits my short stature like no other bike has. I’ve logged more than 5000 miles on it.

SeattleLisa wrote:Have you ridden a Century? Have you done any bike touring? I want to do that this summer, too. How you likin' the bike trainer? I read the reviews on that model and it sounds good. Do you watch anything on TV while you ride?


I haven’t ridden a century yet, though I definitely want to! The longest loop I’ve ridden is 50 miles, though I wasn’t too winded after it, so I’m sure I’ll be able to work up to 100. One of my bf’s goals this summer is to explore some of the bike routes outside of Pittsburgh, so I’ll get some practice in when the weather warms up. (My bf doesn’t like biking in Pittsburgh either -- and he grew up in New Jersey and used to enjoy racing the bike messengers in Manhattan, so that tells you how bad Pittsburgh roads are!)

I like the bike trainer a lot, though nothing matches the feeling of riding out on the road. I don't watch TV, but I do listen to music -- it helps keep the riding from being monotonous, since I don't have the changing scenery to engage me.

SeattleLisa wrote:Have you ever developed tendonitis in your elbow from cycling? I'm trying to deal with that now.


Ouch! I haven’t had tendonitis in my elbow, but I did develop some pain/swelling in my wrists. I should mention that my bike has straight mountain bike handlebars, and not drop handlebars. What I do now to protect my arms is to keep my shoulder joints outwardly rotated so that my elbows point down to the ground; I keep my elbows lightly bent (but not too bent, or else it pulls on my triceps); and I keep my wrists straight in line with my arms, so they are not bent back. That seems to help. Is the tendonitis coming from the triceps side of your arms? Or the biceps side? Or somewhere else? Sometimes analyzing the bend of your arm joints as you ride can help pinpoint the source of trouble.

SeattleLisa wrote:I never really liked Breaking Dawn but came to truly hate it after reading Lola. I will never read BD again because like you, Lola gave me the supremely satisfying (in all ways) ending to Stephenie's story. I agree, the sex couldn't be hotter. But I also love the maturity Lola brought to the story, Bella's arc, I was ecstatic at Bella's/Jasper's story and the gift she gave him! I've never loved Jasper more than here.


I agree. The story arch that Lola develops over LYLS, ALE, and THW lets Stephenie’s characters grow so much more than Stephenie allowed them to in BD. I also loved the Jasper-Bella connection (I never really “got” Jasper until I read Lola), and how she developed all of the Cullens. Before I read BD, I was assuming that Bella would become a vampire, so I wasn’t surprised by that, but I was expecting that Bella officially becoming a Cullen would mean that we would get a more intimate look at the Cullens as a family, and at E/B’s relationship in particular. I thought that Stephenie focused so much on the drama of Renesmee’s pregnancy/birth, and then on the drama of the Volturi coming, that we only got a few brief glimpses of the actual relationships between the characters.

SeattleLisa wrote:I made the mistake of not saving all of THW and The Sweater. In fact, I haven't even finished reading THW! I haven't read the last chapter because I didn't want it to end! ha! I've been sitting on (I did print it, thankfully) it since mid-Sept and I'll get around to that soon. But I would love to have copies of those 2 stories and have been thinking of contacting someone like TwilightSherry (Lola's biggest cheerleader, it seems). Would you happen to have them? I've re-read LYLS & ALE but would like to re-read THW before I read that last chapter. Please tell me you have those 2 stories!


I found a Twi-fic site that has PDFs of all of LolaShoes' Twi-related ff (it has *LOTS* of other Twi-fics, as well).

I’ve downloaded all of Lola’s Twi-stories from here (including The Sweater and THW), so if you don't want to wade through pages of fanfic, PM me and I’ll e-mail them to you.

LYLS and ALE both include outtakes, and THW includes “Bits and Pieces,” which has some awesome stuff that Ms. Shoes didn't officially include in her trilogy.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6p3hztaqq0JNmNlNTFjOTMtYzBjYi00Y2FmLTk3OTItYjkxYWIwZmM2NDM0&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Here are the LolaShoes stories that are included (the web site arranges them in alphabetical order, and intersperses them between the other fics):

A Life Extraordinary (Inc Outtake) by LolaShoes (Pt 2 of 3) Complete.pdf
A Little Crazy (Inc Outtake) by LolaShoes & TBY789.pdf
Let Your Light Shine (Inc Outtake) by LolaShoes (Pt 1 of 3) Complete.pdf
My Yes, My No (Inc More Yes, More No Outtakes) by LolaShoes.pdf
The Sweater by LolaShoes.pdf
This Hungry World by LolaShoes (Pt 3 of 3) Inc Bits & Pieces COMPLETE.pdf

SeattleLisa wrote:Ok, I feel like this entry is about as long as LYLS so I should end it here.


My reply is now four pages in Word, so I think I’ll sign off!

Good night, all!

xo Cat
Last edited by TwilightCat on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TwilightCat
Phil's Baseball Coach
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Western PA


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby SpunkyBookworm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:48 am

found-my-edward wrote:Speaking of the Cullen House, I'm taking a trip to Forks in April/May and we are staying at the Cullen House. :oops:
I've been to Forks once before and when my friends and I were planning our 2011 trip I mentioned that you could stay at the Cullen House and from that moment on they wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else. We're really dorky, crazed fans, so I'm sure we'll love it. My friends also want to do the Twilight Tour, but I can't decide. Has anyone heard if it's worth it? I found all of the "historic places" just fine by myself last time.


There are now 2 businesses that do the Twilight tour. One is out of the flowershop, which has some great merch you can't get at the big Twi store that's on main street, which is the one that has the other Twi tour. I've only experienced the one out of the Dazzled by Twilight store because the one from the flower shop didn't exist then.
It's worth it because there are some facts that they tell you that you wouldn't think of. Also, you need to realize that you are going to residences. People don't want you on their porch. You'll see ppl follow the bus, then get out and go up to the porch to take a pic, when the tour bus has already said that's not allowed. THESE WERE ADULTS!!!!!
"Jacob's house" will actually call in your license plate and issue you a ticket if you're not on the bus. I guess they got tired of it. The bus ppl are allowed. However, last time I was at La Push, it looked like they were leasing out the house as a "stay at Jacob's" thing.
People seem to enjoy the Cullen House (the B&B). The real Cullen house is well guarded. They do not want you there. I guess a couple years back, they had a fire on the porch and it was caused by a fan. I don't think it was intentional, but my friend who stopped at the driveway to take pics got yelled at.
If you go during the week, on Wednesday nights, there's a drum circle at the community center right by 1st Beach. It's cool. Bring a potluck dish (I brought chicken) and listen to them tell stories through drum and dance. They do this to get the kids away from drugs and drinking.

As for chocolate and such--I've come to terms w/ my sweet tooth. I've found that dieting doesn't work and a Christian-based program I use helps. I only had one treat today!! SO PROUD OF MYSELF!! Starting back on exercise soon. I've basically quit exercising for a year, but ready to start back up because my body hates not doing it. I now wonder what my body would be like if I didn't start exercising everyday 11 years ago???

As for my daughter, which some of you have asked about, she's doing well. She's really struggling in school, so she gets really stressed since she's a Jr, and wants to graduate on time. When it happens, so does a meltdown, and I have a tough time keeping it together.....SO, my sistas--you get the brunt of it!! :D

I'm loving this group!! OH!! and I heard LOLA!! I actually deleted some FF tonight. Need to trim it down. Too addicted and distracted.

K. Love to all!!
Gretchen
It's Time!!
User avatar
SpunkyBookworm
Fake Lesbian
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:16 am
Location: Seattle Area-near a couple lakes.


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby cdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:37 am

welcome Robz!

CC, I don't see why cabbaga shouldn't count, if you ate 2 servings of it.

Also, beans count as a vegetable

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nut ... sp?id=1589
User avatar
cdubs
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: TX


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby MariaCecilia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 am

This looks like a cool challenge for 2011 and I am totally going to try it! Thanks for setting this up!

I believe the biggest challenge for me is going to be taking the time to check in here every week, but then, I may count those times as my personal (enjoyable) 20 minutes, so it's a win-win right? :D
You' re on your honour, ´cause I' m a goner, and you haven't even begun.
So do me a favour, if I should waver: be my saviour and get us the gun..
So, don't work your stuff, because I've got troubles enough
No, don't pick on me, when one act of kindness could be - deathly...
User avatar
MariaCecilia
Phil's Baseball Coach
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Swarizona


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby cdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 am

MariaCecilia wrote:This looks like a cool challenge for 2011 and I am totally going to try it! Thanks for setting this up!

I believe the biggest challenge for me is going to be taking the time to check in here every week, but then, I may count those times as my personal (enjoyable) 20 minutes, so it's a win-win right? :D



welcome maria, glad to havae you!
User avatar
cdubs
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: TX


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:12 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:In fact, I haven't even finished reading THW! I haven't read the last chapter because I didn't want it to end! ha! I've been sitting on (I did print it, thankfully) it since mid-Sept and I'll get around to that soon. But I would love to have copies of those 2 stories and have been thinking of contacting someone like TwilightSherry (Lola's biggest cheerleader, it seems). Would you happen to have them? I've re-read LYLS & ALE but would like to re-read THW before I read that last chapter. Please tell me you have those 2 stories!


I have THW. I'll email it to you.

Edit to add: Nevermind, I see they're listed above.
Last edited by mandaliz on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:13 pm

robzanne wrote:knock knock.. .can i come in ?
i last knocked on this threads door almost a year ago and then ran away before u answered, well im coming in this time so u better move over!
our new york meet up left me 8 fucking pounds heavier, i gotta do something about that shit!
im a good looser of weighter when i get going so im not too suicidal but im gonna need a stileto up my ass permanently and i hear u girls have the best show collection around !



There's always room for you Robz!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi all! I went to the gym this morning & did my BodyCombat class, which I have not been to in approximately 92745389753475 days (or 2 months). I freaking love that class, getting out any aggressions by pretending to beat the shit out of someone, but I tell you my muscles are not happy with me right now. Ouch. It's hard to shower & wash your hair when you can barely lift your arms. And my abs? They are on strike. Every time I try to move, they protest. Ugh. It's all for a good cause (ME!) and at least I can say I DID IT ANYWAY!

I am really excited that I am done with having to knit things for other people (mostly) and can make things for myself. I'm designing my first project, though I keep making mistakes so that's annoying. I'm tying to make a little thingy to hold my kindle I got for Christmas. I have the this design I love that goes on the front of it that I keep having to go back & tweek some. It's so going but that's ok.

As some of you know I made Christmas presents for everyone this year & they were VERY well received! People were begging for the recipes for the infused-booze and were saying they want to pay me to knit other things for them. So YAY! Most patterns, especially if they are free, say that they are for personal or charity projects only & not to be used for projects you intend to sell. Maybe if I get the hang of designing my own patterns/projects I will open an etsy shop or something. Also, I think I'm going to try to learn to crochet this year, and maybe learn to sew. I'm feeling this maybe the year to further my crafty side.

Anyway, enough babbling from me. Kisses & leg hitches all around!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby TwilightCat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi Samalia,

Samalia wrote:@TCat: I want to comment on the shottiness of Pittsburgh roadways but I can't tell if it's a genuine feeling or just my normal hatred of all things Pitt coming through. I'm a Cincinnati girl through and through so it's hard to separate sports feelings from actual feelings some days ;) I'm a slight SEO geek so I was totally pickin up what you were putting down.


I'm originally from Ohio (Yellow Springs, to be exact), and my dad is a diehard Bengals/Reds fan, so understand. I actually like Pittsburgh -- the cost of living is low, I've been able to find steady work, and I've made a lot of good friends here. It does suck, though, that walking is often a faster option than driving your car.

That's awesome that you do SEO, too! I really love it. There's nothing like digging through thousands of keywords and finding those gems that make a web site rise to the top.

xo Cat
User avatar
TwilightCat
Phil's Baseball Coach
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Western PA


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby TwilightCat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi all of you lovelies,

I got on my bike trainer this morning and rode it for a solid half hour, which is a good start for me. I've got some wicked high gears on my bike which allow me to simulate biking uphill, so I practiced alternating between spinning and standing up on the pedals. I got a good sweat going, and I'm still feeling the buzz, which is awesome. I'm feeling so great I can't remember why I ever stopped riding. :)

My next task is to get a good cyclocomputer (thanks for the recommendation, Lisa) so that I can tell how far I'm riding. My guess is that I would have biked about 7 or 8 miles if I'd been out on the road, but it'll be nice to have a more accurate measure.

Today I was almost ready to present myself to the world by 11, so my goal for tomorrow is to be showered and dressed by 10:50 (with ten minutes in there for wiggle room). I do my SEO work out of my home office, and I'm still on break from my other job (I work part time at a local college, teaching a movement method I'm trained in called the Alexander Technique), so this will be a good opportunity to practice scheduling my time without having to rely on outside forces telling my when I need to be where.

Well, I'm off to get some lunch.

xo Cat
User avatar
TwilightCat
Phil's Baseball Coach
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Western PA


Re: Resolutionary Challenge 2011

Postby cdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Amanda I can't wait to see what patterns you come up with! You are such an amazing knitter! I know it's annotying to have to keep doing and redoing stuff, but just think of how awesome you'll feel when you're done. and it's YOUR creating 100%

And way to go CAT, on gettting on that bike!
User avatar
cdubs
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: TX

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Biggest Loser

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest