Go to footer

The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: A Tuesday You Can't Refuse

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 pm

toooldforthis wrote:I finally jumped on board and read the first book. I read it over the weekend because I just couldn't put it down. Forgive me if I duplicate a previous conversation. I didn't read the entire thread because I haven't read the last two books yet (I'm borrowing them from my mom and I can't get them until this weekend) and I didn't want to be spoiled - IKR? Me, saving myself. Who would have guessed? :lol:

I have to agree with Jodie on this. I can understand why Katniss is closed off. In her world, dreaming of romance and marriage and children would be very frivolous when you don't know if you're going to be able to even eat today.

My question is, why did the author even feel it necessary to include a romance at all? I was so much more interested in the world and the story, I could have gone without Katniss ever falling in love (assuming she does in the later books). Why not have her become the leader of the rebellion - if that is indeed what happens (I hope)?
I finished the book yesterday and I have no idea who she is going to choose. I really didn't feel any chemistry between her and anybody. She could wind up with Cinna (which would be kind of awesome) and I could see it because I think she had more of a connection with him than anyone else.

YaY! I'm glad you are reading them!

Remember when we did the Harry Potter book club and when you started asking questions that were getting ahead of yourself and I'd give you the Dark Mark?

Well now I'm giving you the Mockingjay. You'll get there... you'll get there... =)

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:39 pm

JodieO wrote:YaY! I'm glad you are reading them!

Remember when we did the Harry Potter book club and when you started asking questions that were getting ahead of yourself and I'd give you the Dark Mark?

Well now I'm giving you the Mockingjay. You'll get there... you'll get there... =)

GAHHHHH! I'm always being cockblocked!

Do you know how hard it was for me not to search for spoilers?

I was texting my mom last night and she's reading the last book. She told me she peeked at the ending (see, it's in the genes :lol: ). I told her not to spoil anything for me and she texted back "She winds up with Haymitch."
:lol:
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:41 pm

toooldforthis wrote:
JodieO wrote:YaY! I'm glad you are reading them!

GAHHHHH! I'm always being cockblocked!

Do you know how hard it was for me not to search for spoilers?

I was texting my mom last night and she's reading the last book. She told me she peeked at the ending (see, it's in the genes :lol: ). I told her not to spoil anything for me and she texted back "She winds up with Haymitch."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you have a kindle? I may or may not have a totally legal version I could send you...
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 pm

JodieO wrote: Do you have a kindle? I may or may not have a totally legal version I could send you...

I don't. :( But thank you anyways! I'm one of those people who are reluctant to switch over to the latest technology because I like the feel of turning pages.
Hi. I'm 80. :oops: :lol:

I have a question for you, Jodie. This is so far off topic that it's not even on the map. I know that you used to watch the "Little House on the Prairie" series - as did I. Weren't the very first books in the series called "Little House in the Big Woods"? My second-grader just told me that his teacher is reading this book to the class and I got excited because I'm pretty sure that's the same series I read when I was growing up.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 pm

toooldforthis wrote:
JodieO wrote: Do you have a kindle? I may or may not have a totally legal version I could send you...

I don't. :( But thank you anyways! I'm one of those people who are reluctant to switch over to the latest technology because I like the feel of turning pages.
Hi. I'm 80. :oops: :lol:

I have a question for you, Jodie. This is so far off topic that it's not even on the map. I know that you used to watch the "Little House on the Prairie" series - as did I. Weren't the very first books in the series called "Little House in the Big Woods"? My second-grader just told me that his teacher is reading this book to the class and I got excited because I'm pretty sure that's the same series I read when I was growing up.

I was once like you! Then I played with a kindle at the store and realized how much easier it is to hold and how it still looks like a printed page and how much space it wouldn't take up in my purse and I was sold.

I've never actually read the Little House books, but I do believe that is the first in the series. They moved from the Big Woods to Walnut Grove, so that would make sense.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 pm

JodieO wrote:I was once like you! Then I played with a kindle at the store and realized how much easier it is to hold and how it still looks like a printed page and how much space it wouldn't take up in my purse and I was sold.

I've never actually read the Little House books, but I do believe that is the first in the series. They moved from the Big Woods to Walnut Grove, so that would make sense.

I know that the kindle is supposed to have a great screen. I'm just old....."
grumble, grumble, you kids get off my lawn, grumble, grumble".....

I thought "Little House in the Big Woods" was the first book (I vaguely remember reading it). My 8 year old son "thought" he remembered the little girls' names being Laura and Mary but apparently he couldn't be too bothered to remember because it wasn't Star Wars or Batman. :roll:
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Re: The Hunger Games: Katyess or Katnyet? SPOILERS AHEAD

Postby JodieO » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 pm

I went in for my third viewing today. I have a couple quibbles.

1. They removed so much of Katniss's abrasiveness that Haymitch's whole thing about her being unlikable doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Movie Katniss is positively endearing next to book Katniss.

2. During the interviews when Kat is wearing the red Girl on Fire dress her hair is swooped in such a way that when she's talking to Ceasar her face is all but hidden from the crowd. This is a bad oversight on Cinna's part. But more than that, her face is almost completely in shadows even when she's facing Cesar. This is a bad oversight on The Gamemakers'/the movie makers' parts. As a costume designer and former theater person this BUGS me.

3. I don't like how they had President Snow gunning for Katniss from the beginning. Like he knew right away that she was going to spark a rebellion when it shouldn't have been until much later. At least not until Rue. Certainly not from the Training Center.

I still wept at the Reaping. I still want to tuck Peeta into a warm blanket and feed him cookies.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:18 am

JodieO wrote:I've never actually read the Little House books, but I do believe that is the first in the series. They moved from the Big Woods to Walnut Grove, so that would make sense.

"little house in the big woods" is indeed the first one :D they move to the prairie before they move to the area that will eventually become walnut grove tho :ugeek: *shakes head* you disappoint me jodieO :P
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 am

kelbel75 wrote:
JodieO wrote:I've never actually read the Little House books, but I do believe that is the first in the series. They moved from the Big Woods to Walnut Grove, so that would make sense.

"little house in the big woods" is indeed the first one :D they move to the prairie before they move to the area that will eventually become walnut grove tho :ugeek: *shakes head* you disappoint me jodieO :P

I've never read the books! I've only watched the TV show! The books aren't on Kindle. BOOO!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:40 am

JodieO wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:

I've never read the books! I've only watched the TV show! The books aren't on Kindle. BOOO!

this always confused me when I was little. it's called "little house on the PRAIRIE" yet they are so NOT living on a prairie :roll: there was a pilot type special that showed them setting up their first home in the grasslands tho. I remember them having to deal with an indian that just wandered into their cabin, and maybe a fire too? I forget.
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
JodieO wrote:I've never read the books! I've only watched the TV show! The books aren't on Kindle. BOOO!

this always confused me when I was little. it's called "little house on the PRAIRIE" yet they are so NOT living on a prairie :roll: there was a pilot type special that showed them setting up their first home in the grasslands tho. I remember them having to deal with an indian that just wandered into their cabin, and maybe a fire too? I forget.

OH! RIGHT! I do remember that. I remember them all sitting inside while the Indian drums were pounding away and Carrie started shouting "BOOM BOOM!" because I think she was supposed to be semi-retarded or something. Then Ma whipped around and shrieked "GO TO SLEEP, CARRIE!"

Wasn't that the same episode where Mr. Edwards came over for Christmas, but it was a blizzard out and he walked like 15 miles in his long johns so he wouldn't ruin his good clothes?
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 pm

JodieO wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:
JodieO wrote:I've never read the books! I've only watched the TV show! The books aren't on Kindle. BOOO!

OH! RIGHT! I do remember that. I remember them all sitting inside while the Indian drums were pounding away and Carrie started shouting "BOOM BOOM!" because I think she was supposed to be semi-retarded or something. Then Ma whipped around and shrieked "GO TO SLEEP, CARRIE!"

:lol: :lol: yes, there always seemed to be something not quite right about that girl :?
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:17 pm

and to make up for my "little house on the prairie" high-jacking of this thread...

"The Hunger Games‘ Katniss Barbie will be available everywhere in August and for pre-order starting today at 12 p.m. ET at BarbieCollector.com and various other online retail outlets."
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Woo Hoo!! I picked up the last 2 books from my mom yesterday so I'm just about to start "Catching Fire".

Question: Is this a free-for-all forum or do I need to use spoiler boxes?
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:47 pm

toooldforthis wrote:Woo Hoo!! I picked up the last 2 books from my mom yesterday so I'm just about to start "Catching Fire".

Free for all!

How did you like the first book??
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:09 pm

JodieO wrote:
toooldforthis wrote:Woo Hoo!! I picked up the last 2 books from my mom yesterday so I'm just about to start "Catching Fire".

Free for all!

Loved it! And I feel kind of creepy saying that, considering the subject matter. But it was very intense and I didn't want to put it down. I think I read it in 2 days.

Honestly, I'm not even interested in the romance part of the book (what little there is of it) because I'm so caught up in the corrupt government and hoping that Katniss leads a rebellion against them.

And I don't understand why there seems to be this "Twilight vs. Hunger Games"? They're not even the same genre. Unless it's because they are both considered YA books (which doesn't make sense to me and is a completely different discussion).

But the way the media is talking you'd think you can't be fans of both series. Much like "HP vs. Twilight". Huh? How are those two series even comparable? One is romance and the other is fantasy/adventure. It's like the media isn't happy unless they are causing arguments. I have news for them, I like all three series. How does that fit into their agenda?

Sorry, that was a tangent/rant.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:11 pm

toooldforthis wrote:
JodieO wrote:

Free for all!

Loved it! And I feel kind of creepy saying that, considering the subject matter. But it was very intense and I didn't want to put it down. I think I read it in 2 days.

Honestly, I'm not even interested in the romance part of the book (what little there is of it) because I'm so caught up in the corrupt government and hoping that Katniss leads a rebellion against them.

And I don't understand why there seems to be this "Twilight vs. Hunger Games"? They're not even the same genre. Unless it's because they are both considered YA books (which doesn't make sense to me and is a completely different discussion).

But the way the media is talking you'd think you can't be fans of both series. Much like "HP vs. Twilight". Huh? How are those two series even comparable? One is romance and the other is fantasy/adventure. It's like the media isn't happy unless they are causing arguments. I have news for them, I like all three series. How does that fit into their agenda?

They are all fantasy book series written by women. Beyond that they are all COMPLETELY different stories. For people who haven't read them, they can't make this distinction. And that's a real bummer.

I'm glad you are enjoying them! Make sure you check back after /while reading the others!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby BrooklynBabe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 pm

JodieO wrote:I went in for my third viewing today. I have a couple quibbles.

1. They removed so much of Katniss's abrasiveness that Haymitch's whole thing about her being unlikable doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Movie Katniss is positively endearing next to book Katniss. AGREED

2. During the interviews when Kat is wearing the red Girl on Fire dress her hair is swooped in such a way that when she's talking to Ceasar her face is all but hidden from the crowd. This is a bad oversight on Cinna's part. But more than that, her face is almost completely in shadows even when she's facing Cesar. This is a bad oversight on The Gamemakers'/the movie makers' parts. As a costume designer and former theater person this BUGS me. DIDN'T NOTICE

3. I don't like how they had President Snow gunning for Katniss from the beginning. Like he knew right away that she was going to spark a rebellion when it shouldn't have been until much later. At least not until Rue. Certainly not from the Training Center. THAT BOTHERED ME TOO BUT I GUESS THEY ARE JUST PLANNING AHEAD FOR THE FUTURE BOOKS.

I still wept at the Reaping. I still want to tuck Peeta into a warm blanket and feed him cookies.

And I had thought JH casting of Peeta was all wrong. So now I am eating crow because he was great. But I didn't like LH as Gale
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby BrooklynBabe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:25 pm

JodieO wrote:
toooldforthis wrote:
JodieO wrote:Free for all!

They are all fantasy book series written by women. Beyond that they are all COMPLETELY different stories. For people who haven't read them, they can't make this distinction. And that's a real bummer.

I'm glad you are enjoying them! Make sure you check back after /while reading the others!

All three movies really targeted different audiences, hence the media making them adversaries is just plain stupid. And I didn't think The Hunger Games trilogy was a love story. It was so much more.
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:36 pm

BrooklynBabe wrote:All three movies really targeted different audiences, hence the media making them adversaries is just plain stupid. And I didn't think The Hunger Games trilogy was a love story. It was so much more.

Exactly. I went into it thinking it was going to be a love triangle because what little I heard about it was always Peeta vs. Gale. But after reading the first book, I don't get the feeling she's into either one.
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:43 pm

JodieO wrote:I'm glad you are enjoying them! Make sure you check back after /while reading the others!

Oh I will. In fact I'll start right now. ;)

I'm 5 pages in and I'm already annoyed with Gale (and I liked him in the first book).

Kat has plenty of money to feed both her and Gale's families but he won't take it because.........why?

a.) He's pissed about the fake romance between her and Peeta?
b.) He's a chauvinistic asshole who doesn't want a girl to do "his job"?
c.) Both of the above?

If he doesn't want any part of her winnings then fine, he could refrain from eating or drinking anything that she provided. But it kind of makes him an ass (IMO) to deny the rest of his family.

Am I going to lose my Gale love in this book?
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:35 pm

toooldforthis wrote:
JodieO wrote:I'm glad you are enjoying them! Make sure you check back after /while reading the others!

Oh I will. In fact I'll start right now. ;)

I'm 5 pages in and I'm already annoyed with Gale (and I liked him in the first book).

Kat has plenty of money to feed both her and Gale's families but he won't take it because.........why?

a.) He's pissed about the fake romance between her and Peeta?
b.) He's a chauvinistic asshole who doesn't want a girl to do "his job"?
c.) Both of the above?

If he doesn't want any part of her winnings then fine, he could refrain from eating or drinking anything that she provided. But it kind of makes him an ass (IMO) to deny the rest of his family.

Am I going to lose my Gale love in this book?

Gale is the type of character you want to punch in the neck one minute and give him a big smooch the next. Some people love him, some hate him...
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Kay Kay » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 pm

So, there's this

Gary Ross Officially Announces That He Will Not Be Directing ‘Catching Fire’

Earlier today, Gary Ross released the following statement:

Despite recent speculation in the media, and after difficult but sincere consideration, I have decided not to direct Catching Fire. As a writer and a director, I simply don’t have the time I need to write and prep the movie I would have wanted to make because of the fixed and tight production schedule.

I loved making The Hunger Games – it was the happiest experience of my professional life. Lionsgate was supportive of me in a manner that few directors ever experience in a franchise: they empowered me to make the film I wanted to make and backed the movie in a way that requires no explanation beyond the remarkable results. And contrary to what has been reported, negotiations with Lionsgate have not been problematic. They have also been very understanding of me through this difficult decision.

I also cannot say enough about the people I worked with: Producer Nina Jacobson, a great collaborator and a true friend; the brilliant Suzanne Collins, who entrusted us with her most amazing and important story; the gifted and remarkable Jennifer Lawrence whose performance exceeded my wildest expectations, and the rest of the incredible cast, whom I am proud to call my friends.

To the fans I want to say thank you for your support your faith, your enthusiasm and your trust. Hard as this may be to understand I am trying to keep that trust with you. Thank you all. It’s been a wonderful experience.

Lionsgate also released a statement:

We’re very sorry that Gary Ross has chosen not to direct Catching Fire. We were really looking forward to making the movie with him. He did an incredible job on the first film and we are grateful for his work. This will not be the end of our relationship, as we consider Ross to be part of the Lionsgate family and look forward to working with him in the future.

Although we all feared to hear this news, it’s still a very big shock to hear it’s official. Gary will be very, very missed.

http://mockingjay.net/2012/04/10/gary-ross-officially-announces-that-he-will-not-be-directing-catching-fire/

Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby toooldforthis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 am

JodieO wrote:Gale is the type of character you want to punch in the neck one minute and give him a big smooch the next. Some people love him, some hate him...

Boy, you weren't kidding. I went from really liking him again to wanting to junk-punch him in the span of about 3 pages.

And then I get to the part where he's being whipped in the town square and I feel sorry for him again. It's like an emotional roller coaster.

Is the entire book like this?
toooldforthis
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 am

toooldforthis wrote:
JodieO wrote:Gale is the type of character you want to punch in the neck one minute and give him a big smooch the next. Some people love him, some hate him...

Boy, you weren't kidding. I went from really liking him again to wanting to junk-punch him in the span of about 3 pages.

And then I get to the part where he's being whipped in the town square and I feel sorry for him again. It's like an emotional roller coaster.

Is the entire book like this?

Very much.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat