Go to footer

You brought a snack....It better be a healthy one!

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: You brought a snack....It better be a healthy one!

Postby obava » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 am

LCneiny wrote: I can sympathize with what you're going through and would love to support each other if either of us need it.

Thanks for the great feedback, guys, and LC I would LOVE for us to be able to help each other!

Amy- you photo-bombing DD’s pinterest with Ron pics made me lol. And then drool. Dayum, the Pretty is pretty!

Abs- I posted the Self Care Project stuff because it had some good things to say. I do NOT like the fact that it costs $140, but that’s another rant for another time. As far as the social change aspect of it, my friends who are big social change people seem to be obsessive about it to the point that their personal lives suffer. I have always felt they help other people so intensely to avoid helping themselves. Not that helping others is bad, but we all need balance, and also “physician, heal thyself” you know??

Lisa- YAAAAAY for your BBD!!!!!!! I’m so happy for you!
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby LCneiny » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 am

SeattleLisa wrote:BIKE BRAGGING NIGHT ALERT!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy! I cycled under 3 miles on New Year's Day and had my ass KICKED! Tonight? Well tonight was a WHOLE other matter!

Hubby and I have made a standing date to go cycling on Sunday mornings and Wednesday NIGHTS. He bought me a super bright, totally awesome headlamp for my birthday 2 weeks ago. 7pm rolls around, dinner is over, and we start layering up for our cold ride. My new size 3X MEN'S rain pants that I just bought do not fit over my fat ass. Ok, bike shorts, warmest PJ bottoms and yoga pants. 4 layers on top including a middle layer of warmest PJ tops. Temps the high 30s and thankfully the pavement was almost dry, no howling wind like last night.

My goal was to just go a little further than last time, ya know, maybe go 3 or 4 miles. Plus this was my first night ride EVER so this felt like my shakedown ride at first. However I LOVED riding in the dark and had so much fun we just kept going. And going. We rode along Seattle's Waterfront in traffic, a few cars got a bit close and Hubby was scared for me BUT NOT ME! We went out to our little park where we got married on the water. Total of 10.6 wondrous miles. I am filled with JOY & GLEE & PUPPIES & RAINBOWS & BURROS & SHOUTY/HAPPY CAPS! My cycling mojo is BACK!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I meant to comment more on your posts- Amy, I think that job would be TERRIFIC for you. Gotta go now, I'm so high from my ride and giggly and silly and about to jump Hubby. So bye! ;)

I love this whole post!! Yay for giddy, happy days!!

Hopefully I'll be there with you soon
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby dancing_echoes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:02 pm

LCneiny wrote:
amynkansas wrote:
LCneiny wrote:La la la...............I have a lot to say about this too but I'll take Jodie's route and stay quiet, squirming in my seat :)

I want to hear you guys' thoughts. I mean it's working for me because I really have to think about what I put in my mouth TWSS so it is keeping me from snacking ALL DAY which is good. I went on other sites and those site recommended about the same.

Although I did just find this:

(The FDA recommends that women should consume 1500 to 2000 calories a day depending on whether they need to lose weight or maintain weight.)

Hmmmmmm....

Sorry, I wrote a manifesto. What can I say, I'm passionate about this.

1200 calories a day is a borderline starvation diet. Of course it's going to work in the short term because you are not consuming much food, but it is not going to work for long-term, sustained weight loss. This is what perpetuates the yo-yo dieting.

In my research I found a quote I love: "Your body is not a bank account, it's a chemistry lab." This means you can play the numbers game all you want (counting calories, subtracting exercise calories burned, etc.) but that's not it. What matters is the TYPE of calorie you put in your body: where it came from, what its purpose is, what it tells your body to do (i.e. store or burn fat).

Hormones are key to weight loss. And food sensitivities too, but based on what I've read, hormones are #1. It's sort of a tricky, complicated system that I understand from reading about it but could never explain to someone else. It's kinda like, your body gets used to having all this junk in the system (excess fat, sugar, pesticides and other toxins, antibiotics and nasty stuff from some commercial meat, etc) so the normal processes for burning fat are shut down. The hormones responsible for telling your body to burn fat are still in your body too, but because of the excess junk, your body doesn't listen to those hormones. So everything - excess hormones and excess junk - just keep circulating and circulating and you don't lose weight. By eliminating the junk you can allow your hormones to start doing what they are supposed to be doing.

I hate counting calories. I log my food but more to see if I react to a certin type of food, or my meal timings, or how I'm feeling when I eat. The macronutrients - protein, fat, carbs - are important, but IMO should not be the only thing you look at when trying to get yourself healthy. It's the MICROnutrients that are essential to weight/fat loss. Americans are known to be deficient in some key minerals, such as magnesium and vitamin D3. Also fiber is important to help with the elimination of toxins.

In all my research, the common things to do for sustained weight loss are:
1. Sleep between 7-9 hours per night (a lot of the hormone-balancing happens while you sleep, plus helps you deal with stress by lowering corisol levels [stress hormone])
2. Also stop eating about 2-3 hours before bed to give you body a chance to digest your food before you sleep, so during sleep your body is only doing repair work.
3. Exercise - but not necessarily a lot of cardio. Weight/resistance training is much better for you, as well as short bursts of high-intensity cardio. Think sprinting, not marathons.
4. Drink about half your body weight in water every day.
5. Eat organic whenever possible, or follow EWG's Dirty Dozen/Clean 13. When you eat meat, choose grass-fed and pasture-raised. Animals on convential farms have the potential to be filled with disease and terrible diets that they were not meant to eat.
6. Dietary Fat is not your enemy - the right kinds are essential for fat LOSS. Fat is needed to keep your brain clear and focused. (Personally I find if I don't eat enough fat at each meal, I'm hungry within 2 hours and I have some brain fog.)
7. Avoid processed foods, which includes seed oils. Oils that are heated during the manufacturing process are damaged by the time they get to you. And if you heat them up further, you're consuming a terrible substance that your body doesn't know what to do with.
8. Avoid GMO foods. Lots of research is being done in this arena, but anytime a food has been genetically modified, you're tampering with nature. If the molecular structure is changed, you're risking the chance that your body can't process it. If it's marked organic that means it's not GMO.
9. Avoid gluten. Avoid dairy, or favor full-fat/raw/grass-fed sources.

Some blogs/books I read a lot:(Keep in mind I tend to move in what could be considered "Paleo" circles, so if that's not your thing then we can agree to disagree)

Dark Side of Fat Loss ebook and Underground Wellness podcast by Sean Croxton (what got me started on my current health-nut ways, the ebook has tons of the chemical info on hormones)
FatBurningMan.com and podcast by Abel James (he's got such a dreamy voice!)
Practical Paleo book and BalancedBites.com by Diane Sanfilippo (this book also has tons of info on the hormones' role in the body)
Diane Sanfilippo and Liz Wolfe's podcast at BalancedBites.com
CaltonNutrition.com by Mira and Jayson Calton (they have a new book out that I'm definitely going to buy, otherwise I find the stuff on their website really informative)
MarksDailyApple.com by Mark Sisson (super smart dude who really gets into sciency things sometimes)
whole9life.com and the Whole30 by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig
KrisCarr.com (this woman is not Paleo, she's living with an incurable form of cancer and has mostly healed her body with a vegan diet. I am in awe of her)
GreenLemonade.com - tons of smoothie recipes (I start every day with 10 minutes of yoga and a smoothie)

Currently I'm following JJ Virgin's Virgin Diet to see if I have food sensitivities.

I'm totally lurking but I second most of this! (although I'm not always good at following it :? )

Also,
from what I've read, you basically want to figure out the number of calories you burn total in a day based on your metabolism and exercise and then eat a certain number of calories less than that in order to lose weight. Most people recommend aiming to lose .5 lbs per week in order to maintain weight loss long term

That being said, everyone's body is different, so go with what works for you! :D
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Location: On Facebook, "investigating" the Britpack's whereabouts

Postby amynkansas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 pm

I feel a bit like this today....so watch out.

Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:26 pm

amynkansas wrote:I feel a bit like this today....so watch out.

It's because you are hypoglycemic from not consuming enough calories! Have a good protein rich snack!

You need some of this.

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:30 pm

JodieO wrote:

It's because you are hypoglycemic from not consuming enough calories! Have a good protein rich snack!

You need some of this.

I took your advice and had frozen waffles and cookies for lunch. That WAS your advice, right....?
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:34 pm

amynkansas wrote:
JodieO wrote:

You need some of this.

I took your advice and had frozen waffles and cookies for lunch. That WAS your advice, right....?

If they were extra protein, then yes.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby LCneiny » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 pm

JodieO wrote:

I snortled at this :lol: I love our snark and that no one gets angry ;) (At least, I hope not!!)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby Muffinmom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 am

LISA - So proud of your bragging! You SO deserve to brag, way to go!!

Amy - can you be my mom? Sorry you were having a bad day, sending you lots of happy vibes your way!

I took TravelRob to NYC today to see David Letterman, will need to post those pics tomorrow... and I'm happy to report I was SOOO GOOD foodwise! Oh, and I'm no longer a sushi virgin. Bwahaha!

Oh- do you guys have any objections if I send TR to visit New Zealand? With a promise to come back and send pictures?
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 am

Muffinmom wrote:LISA - So proud of your bragging! You SO deserve to brag, way to go!!

Amy - can you be my mom? Sorry you were having a bad day, sending you lots of happy vibes your way!

I took TravelRob to NYC today to see David Letterman, will need to post those pics tomorrow... and I'm happy to report I was SOOO GOOD foodwise! Oh, and I'm no longer a sushi virgin. Bwahaha!

Oh- do you guys have any objections if I send TR to visit New Zealand? With a promise to come back and send pictures?

THere's a joke in here somewhere, but I'm too stuffed up with a sinus cold to find it. :D

I certainly don't object. In fact, I wish I could go with him. Most beautiful place on the planet as far as I'm concerned!
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby amynkansas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 am

I will make a new Travel Rob and send them to various people. MM, you keep him and take him wherever you want!!
I want to send you a travel Amy so he and I can go to New Zealand with you (and do naughty things in your carry-on).

I went to the interview yesterday and they will be making a decison by tomorrow. I am not sold 100% that it is the job for me but it might actually be a good job to have and the people seem really nice and they have a great sense of humor. The girl/woman is 30 years old but can't really talk (well, she can but I can't understand her) but they said within a couple of weeks people start to catch on. I will keep you posted.

Maybe you need to have an airport RON.

amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby Muffinmom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Amy, its ME sending him to NZ. And I'm so THRILLED I get to keep him!! Image
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby obava » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Guys! I did my first Act of Random Kindness! It's blizzarding here so I brushed the snow & scraped the ice off an elderly coworker's vehicle before she got off work. I'm glad I thought of something that didn't cost any money or much time either :D
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm

obava wrote:Guys! I did my first Act of Random Kindness! It's blizzarding here so I brushed the snow & scraped the ice off an elderly coworker's vehicle before she got off work. I'm glad I thought of something that didn't cost any money or much time either :D

I mean this with the utmost sincerity - I am so proud of you right now. <3
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 pm

I need to preface this rant by saying I think the "random acts of kindness" point is a very good thing, & I am proud of EVERYONE who makes the decision to try to be nicer to other people 8-) but.....

what has happened to us as a society that we have to get behind a fad in order to be reminded how to be polite and kind? :( it's the lack of little everyday things that we shouldn't even have to think about, just do, that saddens me. not holding the door for those who are pushing strollers,wheelchairs, have their hands full, or just following behind you is something that I just can't fathom :shock: helping someone in the grocery store reach something from a high shelf, or grabbing their shopping cart & putting it away while your on the way to do the same with yours; offering your seat or place in line to someone with a disability or little kids; (which can seem like a disability on most days ;) ) saying "please" & "thank you" to wait-staff of any kind; "treat others as you want to be treated", when did this cease to exist ? as a parent, it frustrates me to no end that this is not taught anymore :x especially by example :|

rant over :oops:
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:33 am

kelbel75 wrote:I need to preface this rant by saying I think the "random acts of kindness" point is a very good thing, & I am proud of EVERYONE who makes the decision to try to be nicer to other people 8-) but.....

what has happened to us as a society that we have to get behind a fad in order to be reminded how to be polite and kind? :( it's the lack of little everyday things that we shouldn't even have to think about, just do, that saddens me. not holding the door for those who are pushing strollers,wheelchairs, have their hands full, or just following behind you is something that I just can't fathom :shock: helping someone in the grocery store reach something from a high shelf, or grabbing their shopping cart & putting it away while your on the way to do the same with yours; offering your seat or place in line to someone with a disability or little kids; (which can seem like a disability on most days ;) ) saying "please" & "thank you" to wait-staff of any kind; "treat others as you want to be treated", when did this cease to exist ? as a parent, it frustrates me to no end that this is not taught anymore :x especially by example :|

Are all those things "random acts of kindness", or just plain old common sense?

Here's a random act of a capella (for those of you who don't know, Tim Horton's is to all of Canada what Starbucks is to Seattle. This is just a normal, everyday coffee shop that you find on every street corner, this one happens to be in the suburb of Oakville).
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-new ... 08514.html
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:24 am

So I figured out my third personal goal:
1. Floss
2. Clean bathroom at least 1/wk
3. Engage core muscles/ practise good posture throughout the day. I'm going to award myself a point for everyday that I consciously activate my core muscles and maintain for at least 30 mins. I'm not talking like a workout, I mean to stand up straight and maintain a healthy posture by using the proper muscles. Instead of letting them all go limp and slouching/ resting my muscles on top of one another.
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby obava » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 am

kelbel75 wrote:I need to preface this rant by saying I think the "random acts of kindness" point is a very good thing, & I am proud of EVERYONE who makes the decision to try to be nicer to other people 8-) but.....

Kel- I struggled with this, too. My point was that I already do RAOK all the time, because I like to help people (and I'm tall so it gives me a selfish thrill to get things off the high shelves for shorties :lol: ). And I am raising my children to also be kind, polite, and thoughtful of others. But while I was thinking "I do this stuff all the time!" I thought "Really? When was the last time?" and that made me realize that no matter how often I spread kindness in the world, it doesn't hurt to be more aware of it and there can also never be too much kindness. So I am choosing to make my RAOK for this Challenge be ones I would not normally do. So if I let someone in line ahead of me because I have a huge basket and they have a few items, that won't count for this. But brushing the snow off my coworker's car is not something I've ever done. Buying flowers and putting them on a random car, or paying for the latte of the guy behind me are not things I've ever done.

So that's how I'm treating this aspect of the Challenge- I'm broadening my horizons and trying new things while spreading some good energy into the world :D

xo O
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby obava » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 am

First week of the Challenge is almost over! I feel like taking a roll call to see who is actually here :?

How was your week? Mine was good- I struggled with the treat point and surprisingly with the not eating 2+ hours before bedtime. I thought that one would be easy, but since I go to bed at 8pm, it's difficult to stop eating at 6 :(

The WC for next week is *drum roll* Clean the kitchen every night! This will be tough for me- I am too wiped out by nighttime. But it will be good for me to expand my horizons and shake out of my rut a little, no?

xo O
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:08 am

obava wrote:

Kel- I struggled with this, too. My point was that I already do RAOK all the time, because I like to help people (and I'm tall so it gives me a selfish thrill to get things off the high shelves for shorties :lol: ). And I am raising my children to also be kind, polite, and thoughtful of others. But while I was thinking "I do this stuff all the time!" I thought "Really? When was the last time?" and that made me realize that no matter how often I spread kindness in the world, it doesn't hurt to be more aware of it and there can also never be too much kindness. So I am choosing to make my RAOK for this Challenge be ones I would not normally do. So if I let someone in line ahead of me because I have a huge basket and they have a few items, that won't count for this. But brushing the snow off my coworker's car is not something I've ever done. Buying flowers and putting them on a random car, or paying for the latte of the guy behind me are not things I've ever done.

So that's how I'm treating this aspect of the Challenge- I'm broadening my horizons and trying new things while spreading some good energy into the world :D

xo O

THIS!
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:09 am

obava wrote:First week of the Challenge is almost over! I feel like taking a roll call to see who is actually here :?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/f4zyjLyBp64[/youtube]

How was your week? Mine was good- I struggled with the treat point and surprisingly with the not eating 2+ hours before bedtime. I thought that one would be easy, but since I go to bed at 8pm, it's difficult to stop eating at 6 :(

The WC for next week is *drum roll* Clean the kitchen every night! This will be tough for me- I am too wiped out by nighttime. But it will be good for me to expand my horizons and shake out of my rut a little, no?

xo O

And this too :)
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby amynkansas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:30 pm

gina-and others-I found this interesting. take from it what you will and as always...I found this on the internet so who knows if it's true.

amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby kelbel75 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 pm

obava wrote:

xo O

yes, I think you're approaching it the right way 8-) but my complaint originated from all of the other people I see on facebook, twitter, etc. who are counting those everyday things as bettering themselves, when they do those things anyways! so they get a pat on the back for essentially just "being a person" :roll: then there are those who don't do those kinds of things regularly, which is just sad :( if you don't do those things, & now you are b/c of the "random acts" thing, then that IS a good thing & I shouldn't complain :? but I just can't help it ;) (have you ever watched those shows where they have people falling down in the street,etc. just to see if other people will help them & nobody does? I HATE those shows; they make me so disappointed in humanity :oops: )

*and I am in NO WAY claiming that I am the ideal person :roll: my shyness oftentimes keeps me from doing things that I should. but I am polite & will try to help a person who falls down, is lost, etc. just b/c it's ingrained in me. something else that is ingrained in me tho is to be wary of strangers; so I will offer my help, but within reason ;) I think a lot of people, especially women, forget this in their quest to be helpful. BE SAFE!
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 pm

so for "role call" purposes: I am here :) this week I have been tracking my points but have not been obsessing over them. it's been more about becoming "aware" again. so the water consumption is moderate but not ideal yet; the exercising is as well. I've been doing really well with the housework tho & have kind of gotten into "spring cleaning mode" because of it 8-)

btw: I have not gotten an e-mail or PM for the spreadsheet, was I supposed to?
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby amynkansas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:24 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
btw: I have not gotten an e-mail or PM for the spreadsheet, was I supposed to?

I just forwarded it to you....
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Biggest Loser