Go to footer

We're Making Italiano

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: We're Making Italiano

Postby SpunkyBookworm » Sun May 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Elsie_Tanner wrote:That bread pudding sounds very similar to our English Bread and butter pudding which is oh so good!

I think something like that is how I adapted mine. My Gram did a lot of English and Scottish cooking, so I'm pretty sure I would just watch some of what she was doing and then figure it out now that I don't have any of her recipes. Yum!
It's Time!!
SpunkyBookworm
Fake Lesbian

Postby Gianna » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Gia's Grown Up Mac & Cheese

4 ounces thick-sliced bacon
Vegetable oil
Kosher salt
2 cups elbow macaroni or cavatappi (I used gemelli)
1½ cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
3 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
2 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
2 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place a baking rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon in 1 layer on the baking rack. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the bacon is crisp. Remove the pan carefully from the oven – there will be hot grease in the pan! Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and crumble when it is cool enough to handle.

Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don’t boil it. Melt the butter in a medium pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, blue cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and crumbled bacon and stir well. Pour into 2 individual size gratin dishes.

Place the bread slices in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until you have coarse crumbs. Add the basil and pulse to combine. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the pasta. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby JodieO » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:12 pm

I made a super yummy dessert last night that I have to share with you. And if you are one of the challenge people, this will help you get your fruit points in.

I took 1 cup of plain Chobani Greek yogurt (one of their cups, not a measuring cup full... ),
splashed it with some vanilla extract, shook a few shakes of cinnamon into it, then stirred in some ginger jam. Then I dumped this into my Braun Hand Blender carafe
(GET ONE OF THESE IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE ONE!!!)
and blended this yogurt mixture up with 4 ripe strawberries, and a handful of pitted black cherries. I scraped this out into a bowl and stirred in a few spoonfuls of frozen Wyman's wild Maine blueberries
and some dark chocolate chips. I put this in the freezer for about 20 minutes and sweet lady mary was it ever delicious! AND with all that fruit it bumps it up to 2 servings so you can share or put half in the fridge for later.

Just don't let it freeze solid or it will probably get icky.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby BrooklynBabe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:32 pm

JodieO wrote:I made a super yummy dessert last night that I have to share with you. And if you are one of the challenge people, this will help you get your fruit points in.

I took 1 cup of plain Chobani Greek yogurt (one of their cups, not a measuring cup full... ),
splashed it with some vanilla extract, shook a few shakes of cinnamon into it, then stirred in some ginger jam. Then I dumped this into my Braun Hand Blender carafe
(GET ONE OF THESE IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE ONE!!!)
and blended this yogurt mixture up with 4 ripe strawberries, and a handful of pitted black cherries. I scraped this out into a bowl and stirred in a few spoonfuls of frozen Wyman's wild Maine blueberries
and some dark chocolate chips. I put this in the freezer for about 20 minutes and sweet lady mary was it ever delicious! AND with all that fruit it bumps it up to 2 servings so you can share or put half in the fridge for later.

Just don't let it freeze solid or it will probably get icky.

Okay, you live in bumfuck Maine (no offense but I think you've called it that), and you can find ginger jam and dark chocolate chips. I couldn't even find ginger tea the last time I was at the supermarket. I had to ask my son's gf to pick me up some since she lives in and around Chinese neighborhoods and goes to Chinatown alot.

Do you think a regular blender or hand mixer would work? Or if you just stirred it and cut up the berries into tiny pieces?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby JodieO » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:53 pm

BrooklynBabe wrote:
Okay, you live in bumfuck Maine (no offense but I think you've called it that), and you can find ginger jam and dark chocolate chips. I couldn't even find ginger tea the last time I was at the supermarket. I had to ask my son's gf to pick me up some since she lives in and around Chinese neighborhoods and goes to Chinatown alot.

Do you think a regular blender or hand mixer would work? Or if you just stirred it and cut up the berries into tiny pieces?

Haha! I got the ginger jam at the London store that I linked to in the last 'daily' thread. So nyah! ;) The dark chocolate chips I got at the supermarket. They were next to the regular chocolate chips... Unless you only have tiny sucky markets near you they should be easy enough to find.. I probably couldn't have found that at the sucky C-Town across the street from my place in Maspeth, but I probably could have gotten them at the good place down the street or maybe even from Fresh Direct. Can you get Fresh Direct where you live? It's SO much better than going to the store!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby BrooklynBabe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 pm

JodieO wrote:
BrooklynBabe wrote:

Haha! I got the ginger jam at the London store that I linked to in the last 'daily' thread. So nyah! ;) The dark chocolate chips I got at the supermarket. They were next to the regular chocolate chips... Unless you only have tiny sucky markets near you they should be easy enough to find.. I probably couldn't have found that at the sucky C-Town across the street from my place in Maspeth, but I probably could have gotten them at the good place down the street or maybe even from Fresh Direct. Can you get Fresh Direct where you live? It's SO much better than going to the store!

Okay smarty pants, I have big name supermarkets near me but they suck. I keep saying I'm going to do Fresh Direct and always chicken out. There are no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's close.

But, you did NOT answer my question about blending.
~~~~~~~~Live life passionately, Laugh out loud, Love unconditionally~~~~~~~
BrooklynBabe
Rob's Lover

Postby JodieO » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:46 pm

BrooklynBabe wrote:
Okay smarty pants, I have big name supermarkets near me but they suck. I keep saying I'm going to do Fresh Direct and always chicken out. There are no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's close.

But, you did NOT answer my question about blending.

Jeesh, Mrs. Bossypants, I forgot! ;) A regular blender would work, but it would probably be hard to dig the yogurt out of the pitcher. My hand blender is the best thing I have ever owned.

And seriously, give FD a try. I never had such good food in all my years. Especially the produce.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby LCneiny » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 am

Kale Chips!
These are super easy and trust me, if I can make them you can. I'm not so good in the kitchen...

Preheat oven to 275
Grab a bunch of fresh kale from your local market - buy organic if possible, kale is an alternate on the "Dirty Dozen" list: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary
Wash and dry thoroughly
Tear the kale into 1-1.5 inch pieces, discarding the large center stalk
Put in a bowl with good olive oil and massage the oil into all the pieces
Lay on a baking sheet in a single layer. (you can use parchment paper or something similar if you prefer)
Season with sea salt, seasoned salt, garlic salt, whatever. My girlfriend used chipotle chili seasonings to give them a kick.
Bake for about 18 minutes or until the edges are browned. Toss once in the middle to make sure they are evenly baked.

That's it! Super crunchy, super yummy, and oh-so-good for you :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower; hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour ~william blake
without music life would be a mistake ~nietzsche
LCneiny
Cathy's Cougarita Mixer

Postby SeattleLisa » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 am

Gianna wrote:Gia's Grown Up Mac & Cheese

4 ounces thick-sliced bacon
Vegetable oil
Kosher salt
2 cups elbow macaroni or cavatappi (I used gemelli)
1½ cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
3 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
2 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
2 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place a baking rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon in 1 layer on the baking rack. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the bacon is crisp. Remove the pan carefully from the oven – there will be hot grease in the pan! Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and crumble when it is cool enough to handle.

Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don’t boil it. Melt the butter in a medium pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, blue cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and crumbled bacon and stir well. Pour into 2 individual size gratin dishes.

Place the bread slices in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until you have coarse crumbs. Add the basil and pulse to combine. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the pasta. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.

This sounds heavenly. Must try. Thank you for sharing. :D
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major

Postby BakingNath » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Here are the tarts we made recently for 2 dinners, they are easy to make and go well with a side of green salad as dinner.. i ll put the ingredient i usually use and hope you have the same..

Zucchini,tomato,goat cheese tart :
- a ready to bake flaky pastry "disk"
- several zucchinis sliced
- several tomatoes sliced
- a goat cheese log (aged) sliced
- semolina grain

Put pastry at the bottom of a pie pan
Sprinkle a thin layer of semolina grain (it will absorb the humidity of the vegetables while baking.. if there is too much it will be crunchy)
Alternate zucchini, tomato, cheese in overlappingcircles until all the semolina is covered
topple with salt, origan, pepper a bit of olive oil
Bake in preheated oven at 356°F during ~30-45mn

Tuna tart :
- a ready to bake flaky pastry "disk"
- a big tin of canned tuna
- several tomatoes sliced
- grated cheese
- 2 tbs dijon mustard

Put pastry at the bottom of a pie pan
Spread mustard on it
Crumble tuna on it
Put several tomato slices on it
topple with salt, pepper, origan or other "herbs"
Sprinkle grated cheese
Bake in preheated oven at 356°F during ~30-45mn
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
BakingNath
Not a Bear

Postby mandaliz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 pm

I just made something super yummy for lunch. I cooked up some cheese tortellini I got from the frozen foods section of the grocery store. While I let it cool I chopped up celery, red onion, carrots and tomato. I tossed the tortellini with the veggies, a packet of salmon (from the canned tuna aisle at the grocery store), and lite balsamic vinaigrette. So. Damn. tasty. Just a simple pasta salad but absolutely tasty!
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby obava » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Wow so many yummy new recipes! Here's my contribution. I love love love eggplant parmesan but don't like frying things, and for some reason my eggplant always tastes like it's poisoned. This recipe is lighter than most and the eggplant was soft and yummy!

Enjoy!

Eggplant Parmesan

1/4C olive oil, divided
1/2 onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2C dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
1t each kosher salt and sugar
1/2t each black pepper and red chile flakes
1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut lengthwise into 8 slices (1/2 in thick)*
8 oz water-packed fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
1/2C each fresh oregano and torn basil leaves**
1/2 C crushed croutons
------------------------------
Set an oven rack in the highest position and preheat oven to 350*F. Heat 2T oil in a 4qt saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sautee until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add wine and let reduce by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar, black pepper and chile flakes and simmer, stirring often, until very thick, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, lay eggplant slices on a greased broiler pan (they can overlap). Cover with foil. Bake until steamy and softened, 20 minutes. Uncover, brush with 1T oil. Broil until starting to brown, 4 minutes. Then turn over and brush with last 1T oil, Broil until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Leave the broiler on.

Put an eggplant slice on an oven-safe plate. Top with 1/4C tomato sauce. Lay another slice of eggplant across the first and spoon more sauce on top. Top with 2 slices cheese. Repeat layering on 3 more plates.

Broil plates 2 at a time just to melt the cheese, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle each plate with about 2T each mixed herbs and croutons. Serve with remaining sauce.

*I cut it into 6 slices and it was #goo
**I am cheap and so just sprinkled some dried oregano and basil into the sauce as it cooked.
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby JodieO » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:09 am

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm

ginna I am still looking for your potato soup recipe.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby obava » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Stir Fry (from Enchanted Broccoli Forest)
If using tofu, marinate a minimum of 2 hours before use, and up to 12 or even 24 hours before:

Tofu Marinade
Begin with the firmest tofu you can find. Cut it into cubes and sauté in a little oil or boil in water for 10 minutes. Drain and add to marinade:
• 3 to 4 T soy sauce
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2t grated fresh ginger
• 1T Chinese sesame oil
• 1 to 2 t honey or sugar
Combine all ingredients and add tofu. Stir, cover, and let sit.

Stir Fry
Group the cut vegetables according to their respective cooking times in order to cook them properly. Add slower-cooking veggies earlier and quicker-cooking veggies later. Use ¾ to 1lb raw veggies per serving. Have everything ready beforehand and within arm’s reach.

Hover over the wok and keep stirring! Keep the heat high and the veggies moving- work quickly!

Heat the wok alone for up to a minute. Then add a little peanut or canola oil. If you are using onions, add them now and sauté them alone first. Then add Group 1 veggies and sauté until partially done. Next, add Group 2 veggies and cook until everything is *almost* done. Add Group 3 veggies, then Group 4 at the very end- these cook practically on contact. The thinner a veggie is sliced, the faster it cooks.

Group 1
• Potatoes, sliced thin
• Celery
• Carrots
• Broccoli
• Cauliflower
• Cabbage
• Eggplant
• Winter squash
• Asparagus (if thick)

Group 2
• Mushrooms
• Peppers
• Zucchini
• Summer squash
• Asparagus (if thin)

Group 3
• Greens (spinach, chard, kale, etc)
• Scallions
• Sprouts

Group 4
• Chopped, toasted nuts
• Tofu
• Sliced water chestnuts
• Cooked noodles (rinsed and drizzled with sesame oil)
• Sesame seeds
• Soaked, sliced black mushrooms

The stir fry sauce I use is House of Tsang’s Classic Stir Fry Sauce. I drizzle some over the veggies after I put the tofu in.
Practice makes perfect- enjoy!
obava
Twilosophy Major

Postby amynkansas » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:52 pm

That looks really good gina. i may try that tonight. with chicken.
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby JodieO » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Chef tips if anyone is interested. The bacon one is really true, except I put mine in a foil-lined baking sheet and put it in a cold oven. Turn the temp up to 400 and bake for about 20 minutes.

http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/slid ... etagsfocus
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:04 pm

i am looking for a recipe for a crockpot breakfast recipe. Eggs, bacon, cheese, etc. I want it for Christmas morning.

anyone?
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby Alexandra » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Here is my co-worker's delicious coffee punch recipe. Absolutely delicious. And Jodie's suggestion of adding some Bailey's to it sounds like a good idea to me.

London Fog Punch

2.5 gallons of ice cream (She did not use that much – she actually ended up using about half and it was still yummy)

1/2 qt. whipping cream

¾ cup instant coffee

1 cup sugar

8 cups hot water

Make the coffee ahead and chill it – mix instant coffee, sugar and hot water – stir until sugar dissolved.

To mix up the punch in the punch bowl, let the ice cream get soft. Mix it with the coffee and whipping cream.
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby JodieO » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:54 am

ETA: I made some more tonight.. you know.. for research purposes and took photos along the way..

Fake Ice Cream:

What you will need:

1c or so of frozen berries. Seriously, I have no idea. I just dump a bunch in until it looks like enough. I prefer a mixture of blueberries and sweet cherries. It's fruit season, yo! Buy those berries up and put them in the freezer for winter!

Tonight I added some frozen raspberries from my dad's garden. These made it icier rather than creamier, but it was still yummers.

1c or so of vanilla soy cream. Actually I just put the berries in the cup and then add the cream until there is a little less cream than berries.

PS. The cup isn't dirty, it's just well-used. I've had this thing for nearly 20 years.

Several shakes of cinnamon. It's good for you! It helps regulate your blood sugar.

Hand blender. You could probably use a real blender, but since this makes a single serving you might end up losing more of your delicious frozen goodness in that big carafe.

Seriously, this is the most useful small appliance in my kitchen other than the toaster.

Dump everything into the blender cup and blend until all the fruit is pureed into the cream. Takes roughly four seconds.

Pour into a low cocktail glass. I use one of these and it's always a perfect amount:

The mixture will be frozen, but very soft. Spoon it up and eat it while you can and drink it when it melts too much for a spoon. I like to top mine off with a little shake of mini chocolate chips.

If you want something more like a milkshake, use vanilla soy milk and use a wee bit more than you would for the ice cream.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat