Go to footer

Spring Smiles

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: Spring Smiles

Postby kelbel75 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:15 pm

JodieO wrote:I like that they point out that some of the parents claim their children have allergies without actually having them tested. They just assume that they do. My college friend was like that. Her brother was allergic to eggs or something so her dad decided she must be, too. It wasn't until college until she tried them and discovered she had no such allergy.

It's funny that they theorize being overly-clean could be a cause of it. When I started living in NYC was when I started being hypervigilant about washing my hands because have you ever seen the people holding onto those subway poles? Ew. My last year in NYC was when I started developing food allergies... Hrmmmmmmmmmmm...

My Gramma always said "You'll never be healthy unless you eat a peck of dirt every day." There might be something to that...

very true! historically speaking, look how our European germs affected the native Americans; and even the diff't bird flus and whatnot that get spread so quickly by international travel. this leads right into the debate on whether you should vaccinate your children, and when ;) (personally I'm an advocate for vaccines, but I won't bore you with that debate :geek: ) the peanuts and dairy seem to be most prevalent tho. you can explain away the dairy with preservatives and farming practices, but the peanuts confuse me :? maybe we just eat more things with nuts in them than we used to? IDK.
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:23 pm

and I think your very right about the percentages of people who are actually allergic to things, or who actually have clinical disorders, etc. if dairy upsets my stomach, then I probably am lactose intolerant; but does that mean I must run away from dairy and avoid it at all costs? there are diff't levels for diff't people. some kids DO need an epi pen with them just in case their throat swells up...but the kids who just get a rash, don't ;)
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby JodieO » Thu May 02, 2013 1:43 pm

kelbel75 wrote:and I think your very right about the percentages of people who are actually allergic to things, or who actually have clinical disorders, etc. if dairy upsets my stomach, then I probably am lactose intolerant; but does that mean I must run away from dairy and avoid it at all costs? there are diff't levels for diff't people. some kids DO need an epi pen with them just in case their throat swells up...but the kids who just get a rash, don't ;)

Indeed. I've developed allergies to milk, tree nuts*, and penicillin in the past 10 years. Milk won't kill me, it will just give me a really really bad stomach ache. Tree nuts have yet to kill me, they just make my mouth and throat burn and make me cough a lot. Penicillin could kill me, though. When I took some a few years back I was lit'rally covered head to toe in hives. I was so covered they all ran together and it looked like I had a bad sun burn. They were in my ears and in my mouth and down my throat and I was told over and over again by my doctor that she had never seen a reaction as severe as mine and she was flabbergasted that my throat didn't close up.

*In my allergy research I read several articles about how some people who think they are allergic to tree nuts & certain fruits are not actually allergic to the nuts/fruits themselves, but are actually allergic to the pollen from the flowers that made the nuts/fruit that they have a sensitivity to the food which results in burning and choking. This is more likely what I hate, but it's just easier to say I'm allergic.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby lori_seals » Thu May 02, 2013 2:38 pm

kelbel75 wrote:
JodieO wrote:Interesting theory relating to our discussion about allergies the other day: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Parents ... dren-.html

when I was young people just didn't go to the doctor as much as they do now :| I myself never had a pediatrician, just went when I was very ill or needed shots ;) but my kids go at least once a year for a check-up, and anytime they have an ear-infection, high fever, etc. it was joked before that people just died from the allergies & no one ever knew why, but i think that may have a lot of truth to it. I feel the same way about all the diff't social/emotional disorders too. I'm sure I had social anxiety disorder as a child, and most likely OCD, along with who knows what else :roll: I had stomach problems that I never got diagnosed until adulthood and skin issues as well. I can think of a handful of kids that I went to school with who probably had diff't disorders that are labeled now, but back then they were just "weird" or had "behavior issues" :geek:

Agreed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
lori_seals
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby lori_seals » Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 pm

JodieO wrote:Interesting theory relating to our discussion about allergies the other day: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Parents ... dren-.html

The line about houses being to clean made me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's not a problem at my house.
lori_seals
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby JodieO » Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 pm

lori_seals wrote:

The line about houses being to clean made me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's not a problem at my house.

Mine either! Maybe if I keep up being a slob I'll be able to have almonds again! HAPPY DAY!
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Thu May 02, 2013 4:14 pm

This should happen more often.

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 pm

just peekin' in.....

Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby Gianna » Fri May 03, 2013 7:40 am

I had an awesome Flat-related dream last night! In my dream, The Forum itself was a house. And each room of the house represented a different thread. So you would go to one room to talk about a topic, say Nonsten or fan fiction or whatever, and another for the daily chatter.

Alex, Lori and I were hanging out in the daily chat/living room just discussing whatever and apparently there was a RA message board house across the street because Jodie was running back and forth between our house and RA's house. And while we were in this message board house, whatever we would post would actually happen. So if I said I was really craving a piece of cake, a piece of cake would appear. And the photos we post would show up on the TV screen. It was AWESOME.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby amynkansas » Fri May 03, 2013 7:42 am

Gianna wrote:I had an awesome Flat-related dream last night! In my dream, The Forum itself was a house. And each room of the house represented a different thread. So you would go to one room to talk about a topic, say Nonsten or fan fiction or whatever, and another for the daily chatter.

Alex, Lori and I were hanging out in the daily chat/living room just discussing whatever and apparently there was a RA message board house across the street because Jodie was running back and forth between our house and RA's house. And while we were in this message board house, whatever we would post would actually happen. So if I said I was really craving a piece of cake, a piece of cake would appear. And the photos we post would show up on the TV screen. It was AWESOME.

HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS HAPPEN?!!!!
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby amynkansas » Fri May 03, 2013 7:44 am

Gianna wrote:I had an awesome Flat-related dream last night! In my dream, The Forum itself was a house. And each room of the house represented a different thread. So you would go to one room to talk about a topic, say Nonsten or fan fiction or whatever, and another for the daily chatter.

so there would be like 12 Richards running around the place? i could live with that.
amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby amynkansas » Fri May 03, 2013 7:45 am

I think this should go into the the top 10 list of best dreams ever.
makes me want to post this to see if it appears on my tv screen.....

amynkansas
Copstache Lover

Postby Gianna » Fri May 03, 2013 7:52 am

amynkansas wrote:

Screw it showing up on my TV...I will just say I am craving that and see if it appears. If only!
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 am

Alexandra wrote:Another organization that we've been involved with is Wreaths Across America. I know how special your grand dad was and if I remember right he was a WWII vet. This organization raises funds and puts Christmas wreaths on graves of vets at US National Cemeteries throughout the US. We did this in December and it was an awesome experience. I spent some time talking with the head of the VFW post there and we are planning to go there Memorial Day weekend to help in placing a flag on every grave in the cemetery. No matter what type of volunteering that you want to do (hands on or fundraising or working with people) I'll bet that you could do it at your local VFW and keep your grand dad in your heart while you do it.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of something like this. Great suggestions! A few years ago, my granddad was lucky enough to get to go on one of the Honor Flights, where they send planes full of WWII veterans to DC for the day to visit the monuments/memorials there. He was so happy and proud that day. I remember getting up at 2:00 AM so I could surprise him at the airport as they were leaving. That was one of his favorite days ever. When he got home, he spoke at different places talking about how wonderful it was and how all WWII veterans should get this opportunity. I did some checking online last night and located the name/email for someone locally and I have contacted them to see what things I could do for them. We'll see what they say!
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby kelbel75 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 am

amynkansas wrote:

no top 10 list for me, this IS the best one ever! my analytical OCD self loves how it was all compartmentalized 8-) and that there was a Richard one across the street :lol:

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby lori_seals » Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 am

Best dream ever!
lori_seals
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby JodieO » Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 am

I'm afraid if there was a Richard Room where he would appear whenever I wanted I would NEVER. LEAVE. Cravats would be flying everywhere. Maybe I'd shout hello from across the hall or something...

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Alexandra » Fri May 03, 2013 9:55 am

Gianna wrote:
amynkansas wrote:

Screw it showing up on my TV...I will just say I am craving that and see if it appears. If only!

BEST. DAMN. DREAM. EVER. And now I know what I want my superpower to be: Whatever I crave magically appears!!!!! And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be craving cake. ;) ;) IYKWIM.
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby JodieO » Fri May 03, 2013 10:16 am

There are donuts in the office. This is both the best and worst thing to happen today.

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Gianna » Fri May 03, 2013 11:17 am

Alexandra wrote:
BEST. DAMN. DREAM. EVER. And now I know what I want my superpower to be: Whatever I crave magically appears!!!!! And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be craving cake. ;) ;) IYKWIM.

I KNOW. Much like Jodie, I would likely never leave my house. Let's see...Ron Room, James Purefoy room, Jude Law room...you get the idea. Oh yeah, and cake. ;)

When I woke up I was sadly aware that my bedroom contained neither cake nor a hot British man. No bueno.
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Fri May 03, 2013 11:31 am

JodieO wrote:I'm afraid if there was a Richard Room where he would appear whenever I wanted I would NEVER. LEAVE. Cravats would be flying everywhere. Maybe I'd shout hello from across the hall or something...

We would most def have to come up with a walkie talkie system. Problem solved.
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

Postby Kay Kay » Fri May 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Going to spend 90 hours doing this so i can post something dirty.

I demand a henry cavill room and it will be the best room eva! And i wont even look at a walkie talkie. :shock: :shock: sorry not sorry
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Fri May 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Kay Kay wrote:Going to spend 90 hours doing this so i can post something dirty.

I demand a henry cavill room and it will be the best room eva! And i wont even look at a walkie talkie. :shock: :shock: sorry not sorry

I love that we are all turning Gia's dream of a house of friendship, cake, and amazement into a glorified brothel.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Alexandra » Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm

JodieO wrote:I love that we are all turning Gia's dream of a house of friendship, cake, and amazement into a glorified brothel.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That seems normal.

In other news: Last week at this time, I was on my way to NY to meet up with some awesome ladies. :D This week I am at work without any cake or hot British guys. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: But I did think of Jodie at lunch when I ordered hummus and olives. Yummy. But not the same without Jodie and D_E. :|
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby Gianna » Fri May 03, 2013 1:48 pm

JodieO wrote:
Kay Kay wrote:Going to spend 90 hours doing this so i can post something dirty.

I love that we are all turning Gia's dream of a house of friendship, cake, and amazement into a glorified brothel.

I would be horribly disappointed if you didn't...Duh! :D
Gianna
Runs with Vampires

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Daily Chats