Go to footer

Irrevocably in love with...getting healthy!

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: Irrevocably in love with...getting healthy!

Postby kelbel75 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 am

I need to lose 10 pounds, which isn't going to happen with as much time as I've been spending on the couch lately :? I want to try and cut pop out of my daily diet, one can during the week and some on weekends when we eat out; i think I'll see a marked improvement in my belly fat if I'm able to do this :geek: my kids only have two more weeks of school left (help me! :shock: ) so I'm thinking that we need to do a lot of walking around the neighborhood, and go to local nature parks, etc. this summer. my daughter needs to exercise more as well, but my son is so skinny he'd blow away in a mild windstorm :roll: he's running the local 5K again this coming weekend 8-)

I've set up the tv & extra netflix box in my bedroom so that I can use the treadmill while watching Richard Armitage shows :P whatever works, right? ;) :D
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Wed May 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Kel, good luck with your plans! My one concern with them is that there's only so many RA shows you can watch on netflix, you may need a dvd player too :lol:

I had bloodwork taken yesterday, will meet the dr in two weeks to review results. But this time I want to be proactive- I'm going to take my old results and mega study them and prepare questions. I have this nagging feeling that something in my gut and/or thyroid is 'out' beyond what I can fix on my own, and that whatever's "out" is affecting my ability to absorb nutrients properly and loose weight. I went on an internet hunt yesterday and bookmarked a boatload of pages which now I need to study. Joy.

Oh, and tomorrow I start my 8 wks personal training with my yoga teacher. I'm a bit skeered because she can be evil (in a good way), hope I survive! Worst part is that I have to BE here at 7am, hope I can wake up in time!

ABS - big hugs to you for hanging on here! What's new with you?

Who else is around here? Whatcha up to? Image
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby absolutelyvlc » Wed May 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Muffinmom wrote: Image

I want popcorn.

that is all.
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby Muffinmom » Thu May 16, 2013 10:21 am

Moi - just finished doing my first personal training session with my yoga teacher at the office. Very. Different! She wanted to focus on both strength and I guess dexterity/balance? I kept giving her the evil eye and cracking her up with all the crazy stuff we hadda do but I think its all good. We'll see tomorrow how I feel... Would you believe she had me attempting to use a jump rope? That one was NOT pretty!! I may have to get one and practice at home, I'm sure Muffin will be Very Amused to see my attempts!

Abs - you can have popcorn when you've done some exercise. And make it healthy! I like to use coconut oil - tastes better and is way healthier than regular oil.

Oh, I need some decorating stat... and in keeping with the 365 days, I thought this was a good pic ;)
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby kelbel75 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:59 am

Muffinmom wrote:Moi - just finished doing my first personal training session with my yoga teacher at the office. Very. Different! She wanted to focus on both strength and I guess dexterity/balance? I kept giving her the evil eye and cracking her up with all the crazy stuff we hadda do but I think its all good. We'll see tomorrow how I feel... Would you believe she had me attempting to use a jump rope? That one was NOT pretty!! I may have to get one and practice at home, I'm sure Muffin will be Very Amused to see my attempts!

I used to be quite adept on jumping rope when I was young, double-dutch and everything ;) :) but now when I try to use my daughter's, i feel like a giant with a piece of string :? even with the longer weighted ones, I inevitably fall over after the second or third jump! :oops: my balance is horrible as an adult :lol: it looks like great exercise tho, so good luck! 8-)

today will be my first day w/out pop :shock: hold me! there are three cans still in the 'fridge, will I be able to resist?
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Thu May 16, 2013 12:08 pm

kelbel75 wrote:today will be my first day w/out pop :shock: hold me! there are three cans still in the 'fridge, will I be able to resist?

Dearest Kel, here's your hug: Image So proud of you for doing this!! Image Image

Why don't you take those cans in the fridge and put them somewhere you can't easily get to (like a basement), that way they'll be warm and less appealing (I'll pretend you don't know how to use ice...)

Do you have *anything* else to drink to help transition you over? Or are you quitting cold turkey straight to just plain water?

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Image

OH - remember how I said I had my first training session this AM? Well... this is how my body is feeling already... Image Yes. Joy. And I have yoga tomorrow with the same teacher. Hope I can walk this weekend! Image
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri May 17, 2013 8:16 am

Muffin - yay! Good for you. It WILL get better. Trust me on this one. And then you'll be all 'woohoo, I am so awesome' - and by awesome I mean awesomer than you already are! :D

And speaking of awesome; Kelbel you can do this. And to help you here are 10 (preachy) reasons to keep it up (just call me Somerhalder):

1 pop/soda is nothing but sugar water - It's devoid of any nutritional value.

2 Danish researchers discovered that drinking non-diet soda leads to dramatic increases in fat buildup around your liver and your skeletal muscles, both of which can contribute to insulin resistance and diabetes. The study revealed that people who drank a regular soda every day for six months saw a 132 to 142 percent increase in liver fat, a 117 to 221 percent jump in skeletal fat, and about a 30 percent increase in both triglyceride blood fats and other organ fat. Their consumption also led to an 11 percent increase in cholesterol, compared with the people who drank other beverages such as water or milk.

3 Researchers from the University of Texas Health Science Center monitored 475 adults for 10 years, and found that those who drank diet soda had a 70 percent increase in waist circumference over the 10-year study, compared with those who didn't drink any soda. Those who drank more than two diet sodas per day saw a 500 percent waist expansion!. That's a LOT of extra Kelbel!!

4 In 2011, the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to ban the artificial caramel coloring used to make Coke, Pepsi, and other colas brown. The reason: Two contaminants in the coloring, 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimidazole, have been found to cause cancer in animals, a threat the group says is unnecessary, considering that the coloring is purely cosmetic. According to California's strict Proposition 65 list of chemicals known to cause cancer, just 16 micrograms per person per day of 4-methylimidazole is enough to pose a cancer threat, and most popular brown colas, both diet and regular, contain 200 micrograms per 20-ounce bottle.

5 Diet or regular, all colas contain phosphates, or phosphoric acid, a weak acid that gives colas their tangy flavor and improves their shelf life. Although it exists in many whole foods, such as meat, dairy, and nuts, too much phosphoric acid can lead to heart and kidney problems, muscle loss, and osteoporosis, and [b]one study suggests it could trigger accelerated aging[/b]. OH NO! The study, published in a 2010 issue of the FASEB Journal, found that the excessive phosphate levels found in sodas caused lab rats to die a full five weeks earlier than the rats whose diets had more normal phosphate levels. We want you around for a long long time girlie!

6 The artificial sweeteners used in diet sodas don't break down in our bodies, nor do wastewater-treatment plants catch them before they enter waterways, researchers have found. A recent test of 19 municipal water supplies in the U.S. revealed the presence of sucralose in every one.
If our water treatment plants can't break it down with their advanced technologies and machines - what on earth is it doing inside our much more fragile bodies!!!???

7 "Mountain Dew Mouth," - a mouth full of cavities caused by the drink's excessive sugar levels. Nuff said (do I need to share visuals?

8 "Mountain Dew Mind"- An ingredient called brominated vegetable oil, or BVO, added to prevent the flavoring from separating from the drink, is an [b]industrial chemical used as a flame retardant in plastics. [/b]Also found in other citrus-based soft drinks and sports drinks, the chemical has been known to cause memory loss and nerve disorders when consumed in large quantities. Researchers also suspect that, like brominated flame retardants used in furniture foam, the chemical builds up in body fat, possibly causing behavioral problems, infertility, and lesions on heart muscles over time.
Are you convinced yet? I mean, unless being flame resistant is something you WANT :D

9 Nearly all aluminum soda cans are lined with an epoxy resin called bisphenol A (BPA), used to keep the acids in soda from reacting with the metal. BPA is known to interfere with hormones, and has been linked to everything from infertility to obesity and diabetes and some forms of reproductive cancers.
YOu know how all the water bottles in the grocery store are all shouting off their labels "BPA FREE" - this is why!
Pepsi and Coke are currently in a race to see which company can be the first to develop a 100 percent plant-based-plastic bottle—which they're touting as "BPA free"

10 The "Great Pacific Garbage Patch," a mass of plastic debris in the Pacific Ocean where things like soda caps, and plastic fish netting float just beneath the surface of the water. Birds, sea turtles, and other wildlife mistake the debris for food and eat large quantities of the plastic, which they are unable to digest. Ultimately, the plastic causes them to starve to death. It's estimated that thousands of animals die this way every year. :(

*totally copied from "9 Disturbing Side Effects of Soda" By Emily Main
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 am

*whimpering and rocking in corner after reading that last post* :shock:

I don't drink diet soda, but I do drink cola (did not know the coloring didn't add any flavor :? ) my older self can't handle Mt. Dew anymore, so I at least don't have to worry about that! but I do drink sprite and ginger-ale (sometimes mixed with cranberry juice) quite frequently too, and sprite is citrus-based :| I know that my belly fat is strictly from drinking so much pop b/c I've never had it there like I do now, ever since I started drinking pop regularly about 2 years ago. prior to that I couldn't drink it so regularly b/c the carbonation bothered my stomach, then all of a sudden it didn't anymore (?)

I used to just drink pop when we went out to eat on Saturdays, and then maybe once during the week when I'd pick up a 20oz. bottle at the carry-out or whatever. but then I started picking up more and more 20oz. bottles until my husband said "it's just cheaper to have it at home!" I at least convinced him NOT to buy 2liter bottles, b/c I will pour glasses of it and nothing else until it's gone, in two days :roll: so, I would like to strive for that original schedule of once during the week and once during the weekend.

yesterday I resisted the pop, replacing it with lemonade. both full of sugar, but eventually I can start watering the lemonade down ;) I also used the tread-mill like I planned, & then said to myself "this is so convenient, why have I not been doing this everyday?!" :roll: :D
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Fri May 17, 2013 9:17 am

kelbel75 wrote:*whimpering and rocking in corner after reading that last post* :shock:

IKR!! I had the added benefit of seeing the lovely photos they included in that article. YIKES!

kelbel75 wrote:
yesterday I resisted the pop, replacing it with lemonade. both full of sugar, but eventually I can start watering the lemonade down ;) I also used the tread-mill like I planned, & then said to myself "this is so convenient, why have I not been doing this everyday?!" :roll: :D

Woohoo!!
(you inspire me. I need to get off my butt and get down to that treadmill at the gym!!!)

kelbel75 wrote: I do drink sprite and ginger-ale (sometimes mixed with cranberry juice) quite frequently too

What if you tried to switch to tonic water and cranberry juice? I'm not much of a pop drinker myself, but someone I used to work with said it's just as good - and my brother seemed to like it too when he was quitting pop.
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby JodieO » Fri May 17, 2013 9:30 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:I mean, unless being flame resistant is something you WANT :D

Actually, I think I would like to be flame resistant... but not enough to drink that much Mt. Dew.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Muffinmom » Fri May 17, 2013 9:37 am

Kel, it *will* get better, hang in there! And soooo totally worth it. I promise, sooner than you think, soda will taste too sweet and artificial. PROMISE!
In the meantime, I'm proud of you for doing the treadmill, I assume you watched some RA to help you along? :lol:

I'll second Abs's suggestion of cranberry juice & seltzer water - that's Muffin's fave ;) Or make sure you always have water available within ez reach.

Abs - how's life with you? GO GET MOVING GIRL! Shake that booty!

Hi JodieO!

Moi, my legs are NOT NOT NOT happy.I will be attempting to attend my yoga class today, not sure if I'll be capable of doing all the poses (or any of them!), my thighs are still killing me. Muffin has asked that I tell my yoga teacher that she's evil and needs to be kinder to her mom.

On another happy note - I had to fast for my bloodwork earlier this week and therefore couldn't have any bedtime snacks, and since I survived that I've been trying every night since then to avoid snacks or if I have something, its tiny (like only a few pieces of popcorn). SO FAR SO GOOD!!

Anyone else out here?
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby JodieO » Fri May 17, 2013 10:16 am

Muffinmom wrote:Hi JodieO!

HI!

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Muffinmom » Fri May 17, 2013 11:58 am

EEECK, that Miss Piggy in the backgrond is *scary*!!! On the other hand, both 'guys' are adorkable ;) (love the Thorin poster in the back too!)
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby JodieO » Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Muffinmom wrote:EEECK, that Miss Piggy in the backgrond is *scary*!!! On the other hand, both 'guys' are adorkable ;) (love the Thorin poster in the back too!)

Haha! I didn't even notice Piggy in the background until after I posted it. She's not in the original image. But I understand her.. She's jealous of Richard and I'm jealous of a stuffed frog.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sat May 18, 2013 8:20 am

Muffinmom wrote: since I survived that I've been trying every night since then to avoid snacks or if I have something, its tiny (like only a few pieces of popcorn). SO FAR SO GOOD!!

I want popcorn.

that is all.

JodieO wrote:

Ok, I'm officially on the RA bandwagon now. Anybody who loves The Muppets is a-okay by me! :D
So where do I start - what should be the first RA thing I watch? (I've seen The HObbit, but didn't know it was him until well after the fact so that doesn't count)

Muffinmom wrote:Abs - how's life with you? GO GET MOVING GIRL! Shake that booty!

I know I know I know, I really must!
Hang in with the yoga/personal training - you may hurt now but soon you'll be doing things and all of sudden saying "holy crap - I didn't know my body was capable of moving like this!" and it's gonna be awesome.

This looks interesting. I <3 Bill Nighy
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby JodieO » Sat May 18, 2013 9:43 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:
JodieO wrote:

Ok, I'm officially on the RA bandwagon now. Anybody who loves The Muppets is a-okay by me! :D
So where do I start - what should be the first RA thing I watch? (I've seen The HObbit, but didn't know it was him until well after the fact so that doesn't count)

Hrmm... depends on what you like...

If you like English costume dramas and/or romances, start with North & South (NOT the Civil War one, the other one). That's my personal favorite, but I'm fond of English costume dramas.

If you like spy shows where you have to think and pay attention then start with MI-5 season 7. I mean, you can start with season 1 (starring Matthew McFadyen), but RA doesn't appear until s7 and you don't really lose anything by skipping ahead.

If you like soldiery type shows, watch the first season of Strike Back. Season 1 isn't actually available in the US, so I'm not sure what the Canadian availability is. The US version starts with season 2. :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you like silly comedies watch The Vicar of Dibley. He's only in the two final episodes, but you can enjoy them without having watched the whole show. Though I would highly recommend the whole show as it stars Dawn French and she's hilarious.

If you like so-awful-they're-funny shows try Robin Hood, though the first few episodes are just straight up awful. Richard is by far the best part of that show. Keith Allen as the sheriff is a hoot.

And of course, the best interview ever.

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby kelbel75 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:49 am

absolutelyvlc wrote:Ok, I'm officially on the RA bandwagon now. Anybody who loves The Muppets is a-okay by me! :D

and here I was, holding myself back when we were gushing about our crushes :roll: you didn't tell me you were interested in Richard! :o JodieO pointed out all the good stuff a "beginner" should see :geek: I highly recommend "strike back", but I don't think it's on youtube at the moment :? the Vicar of Dibley "Handsome Stranger" usually is tho :D RichardArmitageNet is your best place to go for all things Richard 8-) (and you could always check out my new little blog too ;) )

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby kelbel75 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:57 am

my 13 year old son ran the local 5k this morning, finishing with a time of 25 minutes 8-) that's two minutes better than last year; I'm quite proud :D

kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun May 19, 2013 8:06 am

kelbel75 wrote:you didn't tell me you were interested in Richard!

Because I've only just succumbed because of this:
JodieO wrote:

If I'm being honest though don't hate me I thought Martin Freeman made me smile most from all those clips. I love a man that can make me laugh.

That RA has some voice though, eh. And he's tall as!

Speaking of The Voice - went to see Star Trek last night. Holy deep voice on Benedict Cumberbatch! Very cool villain!!
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:36 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:If I'm being honest though don't hate me I thought Martin Freeman made me smile most from all those clips. I love a man that can make me laugh.

did you watch Martin's 60seconds then? there's a 2nd vid where Richard interviews Martin. he starts talking about the powdery gunk that stuck to his skin after he took off the hobbit feet, & well, just watch it ;) :P

and yes, Richard does have quite a voice 8-) and he's tall, and he has beautiful eyes, and, and... his attributes are just endless :D :oops:
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby absolutelyvlc » Mon May 20, 2013 9:42 am

kelbel75 wrote:
absolutelyvlc wrote:If I'm being honest though don't hate me I thought Martin Freeman made me smile most from all those clips. I love a man that can make me laugh.

did you watch Martin's 60seconds then? there's a 2nd vid where Richard interviews Martin. he starts talking about the powdery gunk that stuck to his skin after he took off the hobbit feet, & well, just watch it ;) :P

and yes, Richard does have quite a voice 8-) and he's tall, and he has beautiful eyes, and, and... his attributes are just endless :D :oops:

TWSS :D
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby absolutelyvlc » Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 am

Ok, it's no secret that I've never been much of a Ray Manzarek fan, but it's inarguable that he played a pivotal part in a band responsible for some of the most formative sounds of my youth. So it would be inappropriate not to pay tribute to him and mark his passing. RIP Ray.

absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby kelbel75 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:34 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:
kelbel75 wrote:

TWSS :D

don't know if you are a fan of the US version of "the office" or not, but during the series finale the other night when Michael Scott showed up and said his famous "that's what she said", I was so happy, I cried! I'm a dork :oops:
kelbel75
Craft Services

Postby Muffinmom » Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 am

I don't really watch much of anything so I can't comment on tv shows... Image and I have no clue who Ray is (feeling very uneducated right about now, LOL!) Though I have to admit RA does have a fab voice and I adore Martin (how could I not? He's BILBO Frigging' BAGGINS!!!)

HOWEVER, I stopped by to report that today I survived week 2 of my training session with my yoga teacher. At one point she had me laughing on the floor, cuz what she was asking me to do was in the "NO WAY JOSE" category. I think I actually cried I laughed so hard! Image My balance just ain't there, yet, honey, that's WHY I hired ya!

Of course today I decided to try something new - a skirt - since it was ez to pack. Then after I put it on (after the workout) I realized I never shaved... I guess I'll have to be grateful I have sparse thin hair on my leg, but ... ewww!! Image

What's everyone's PICKUP ME UP song, ie the song you use to kick your butt back into gear? Mine is Muse's Supermassive Black Hole (yes go ahead and roll your eyes Image )
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby kelbel75 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:48 pm

I just pic spammed the other thread w/Richard pics, so to be even I'll throw some in here too ;)

kelbel75
Craft Services

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Daily Chats