Go to footer

What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the malts

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods


What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the malts

Postby amynkansas » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:04 pm

OKAY people...I think I need my supportive healthy eating group back. I was invited last night to do a local challenge of sorts. It's called DietBet. I have been challenged to lose 4% of my weight in 4 weeks. I have to pay $25 but if I complete the challenge I get some or all of it back, {plus more if others fail in the challenge}.
There is some sort of official way to weigh in which in on January 13th. I'm not saying we should be doing the dietBet but I am saying that I will be doing it and will need you guys to talk me down from eating binges (PMS is right around the corner) and to encourage me to get on that dusty treadmill in the basement. There might be a few others in this room who might need to start getting back on track again. Exercise, healthier food, organizing your life so things aren't so stressful...and *maybe* even getting that Christmas tree taken down. :?

New Year. New Beginning.
What do you need to work on that might make things easier, healthier and happier this year? Not a resolution...but a wish, that we can turn into a plan... and with some work and love from all of us, make it happen, for a better life for you (or someone else).

So are you in?

Image
Image
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
User avatar
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Kansas


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:54 pm

amynkansas wrote:OKAY people...I think I need my supportive healthy eating group back. I was invited last night to do a local challenge of sorts. It's called DietBet. I have been challenged to lose 4% of my weight in 4 weeks. I have to pay $25 but if I complete the challenge I get some or all of it back, {plus more if others fail in the challenge}.
There is some sort of official way to weigh in which in on January 13th. I'm not saying we should be doing the dietBet but I am saying that I will be doing it and will need you guys to talk me down from eating binges (PMS is right around the corner) and to encourage me to get on that dusty treadmill in the basement. There might be a few others in this room who might need to start getting back on track again. Exercise, healthier food, organizing your life so things aren't so stressful...and *maybe* even getting that Christmas tree taken down. :?

New Year. New Beginning.
What do you need to work on that might make things easier, healthier and happier this year? Not a resolution...but a wish, that we can turn into a plan... and with some work and love from all of us, make it happen, for a better life for you (or someone else).

So are you in?

Image


I'd like to lose the 15 or so pounds of baby weight I'm carrying so I don't have to go out and buy an entire new wardrobe for any reason other than my new wider, sexier hips. Hips are YAY, floppy belly is BOO. Plus I've been stress eating like a mo fo due to a lot of crap that's been going on in my life right now. If it weren't for the calories I burn breastfeeding I'd be the size of a house right now. I'm in.
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby BakingNath » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 pm

I m in !! I m in !!

Thanks to your tweet mentioning the new thread i connected for the 1rst time in a long time.
As before the holidays i have reached my highest weigth ever and as losing a bit during the holidays felt great i want to continue...
I even joined Weight Watchers Online program with the point counting and all. For the moment it is not that difficult (even when going to the restaurant tonight, i got the fish and no alcohol instead of meat with fries and a glass of wine), but i started on monday so it has not even been a week.. The challenge will be next week as i am going in Belgium for 3 days for a workshop with 10 of my colleagues, I expect we ll go out in the evenings at restaurants and to get a beer ( or several). Anyways i ll see on the long term of i handle it.
I also dusted off the WiiFit board and started doing yoga and aerobics exercises, it is actually a good way to move while having fun

AMy, how do you want to proceed ? We use this thread only for cheering each other on ? or do we set up some kind of challenge ?
Image
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
User avatar
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Somewhere in Normandy, France


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby amynkansas » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:21 pm

BakingNath wrote:I m in !! I m in !!

AMy, how do you want to proceed ? We use this thread only for cheering each other on ? or do we set up some kind of challenge ?


I'm up for suggestions..What do you think will work best for you? I will lose weight if a) I eat less and b) exercise more. Duh. but I haven't figured out a great way to make this constantly happen. I seem to do better when I know that someone is going to ask me about it later and we all promise we're going to do it. I feel like I'm letting a friend down if I don't follow through and they're trying and I'm not. SO I guess i respond to old fashion guilt...
However if you guys think some sort of guide line or set of rules will be best for you, I can make that happen.

I am 6 pounds shy of my highest weight ever (I was never this big even the day before I gave birth to last kid :o ) so something needs to be done. Plus I go to the doctor in 5 weeks and want to show her that i can lose weight and that I don't need to be on old people meds.

Tell me what works for you and what doesn't. We can use Twitter too in case logging in here is hard to do each day.

(Belgium sounds like fun! What will you be doing there Nat?
Image
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
User avatar
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Kansas


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:40 am

amynkansas wrote:
BakingNath wrote:I m in !! I m in !!

AMy, how do you want to proceed ? We use this thread only for cheering each other on ? or do we set up some kind of challenge ?


I'm up for suggestions..What do you think will work best for you? I will lose weight if a) I eat less and b) exercise more. Duh. but I haven't figured out a great way to make this constantly happen. I seem to do better when I know that someone is going to ask me about it later and we all promise we're going to do it. I feel like I'm letting a friend down if I don't follow through and they're trying and I'm not. SO I guess i respond to old fashion guilt...
However if you guys think some sort of guide line or set of rules will be best for you, I can make that happen.

I am 6 pounds shy of my highest weight ever (I was never this big even the day before I gave birth to last kid :o ) so something needs to be done. Plus I go to the doctor in 5 weeks and want to show her that i can lose weight and that I don't need to be on old people meds.

Tell me what works for you and what doesn't. We can use Twitter too in case logging in here is hard to do each day.

(Belgium sounds like fun! What will you be doing there Nat?


I liked the structure of previous challenges came here for encouragement and to talk it out. Nat, I've done Weight Watchers in the past and had great success! I lost 50 pounds using WW online but unfortunately I wasn't "cured" of being fat & stopped watching what I ate & exercising & gained it all back. If you actually do what you're supposed to do to be healthy you can lose weight. Shocking, I know. I'm currently using the free MyFitnessPal on my phone (which syncs to the same app on my kindle fire & the website) to log my food to keep an eye on & be honest with myself what & how much I'm eating & to log my (currently infrequent) workouts. If anyone wants to, you can join that site & we'd be buddies to see what each other are up to. That way I can cheer for you if you log in a workout or you can yell at me if you notice I ate my weight in reese's PB cups for dinner. The only thing I don't like is that the app only tracks calorie intake, not factoring in that 100 calories of an apple is nutritionally different than 100 calories of chocolate, and that it doesn't provide allowances for other health points, such as my needed some extra calories while I breastfeed. If anyone has similar free apps that do all this better let me know. Anyway I rambled on like an idiot. Just tell me what to do!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby amynkansas » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:37 pm

here is what we have used in the past.

You'll earn points for the following activities:
1) Sleep 7 hrs/per night (Naps can take up the slack)
2) Drink 64 oz. water
3) Exercise at least 20 minutes
4) Be ready to present myself to the world by 11am
5) Eat 3 servings of fruit or 2 servings of vegetables (if you can do both, even better!)
6) Enjoy no more than two (2) small treats/per day (200 calories or less per treat)
7) Take 20 minutes for yourself. Whether you watch TV, read ff, sit in a dark closet and rock. Just something for you, to you and about you. You decide.
8) Eat or drink some dairy (or calcium of some kind. No, ice cream doesn't count)
9) Finish eating by 10 pm
10) Wild Card - this will change every week

what do you want to keep, what to toss and what to alter? (good luck on that sleeping point Amanda)
I am not good at excel spread sheets so if we need one of those...send it to me when you're done. :?
Image
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
User avatar
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Kansas


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby BakingNath » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:22 pm

amynkansas wrote:here is what we have used in the past.

You'll earn points for the following activities:
1) Sleep 7 hrs/per night (Naps can take up the slack)
2) Drink 64 oz. water
3) Exercise at least 20 minutes
4) Be ready to present myself to the world by 11am
5) Eat 3 servings of fruit or 2 servings of vegetables (if you can do both, even better!)
6) Enjoy no more than two (2) small treats/per day (200 calories or less per treat)
7) Take 20 minutes for yourself. Whether you watch TV, read ff, sit in a dark closet and rock. Just something for you, to you and about you. You decide.
8) Eat or drink some dairy (or calcium of some kind. No, ice cream doesn't count)
9) Finish eating by 10 pm
10) Wild Card - this will change every week

what do you want to keep, what to toss and what to alter? (good luck on that sleeping point Amanda)
I am not good at excel spread sheets so if we need one of those...send it to me when you're done. :?


I am fine with that plan, but point 4) would be too easy for me, maybe i could change it to something related to WW (i need to work on its definition, but maybe sthg like "only use points from daily account and not from extra weekly account")
I can have a look at the spreadsheet this week end, but we need to get wild cards for "how many ?" weeks and that s a part i am not good at.

@Amy I am going to Belgium for a workshop/training for 3 days
@Manda thanks for the info on WW, i always found that counting calories, even for an apple, was a bit tedious. With the current WW program, most fruits and vegetables cost 0 points so you can eat them as much as you want, being active makes you win points, etc... i is quite fun (for the mmt) and handling points is really easy
Image
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
User avatar
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Somewhere in Normandy, France


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:46 am

I'd like to join.
I can do up WILD CARD challenges if we want to keep that?
-What do we think of changing #4 altogether? Being ready by 11am was never much of a challenge for me either - even on weekends. Maybe we can change it to something like eat at least one properly balanced meal per day (1/2 your plate should be veg/fruit, 1/4 your plate a protein and 1/4 a good carb) or something like that?
Or maybe changing it to a personal challenge where we work on something that each of us wants to work on?

I didn't see the tweet about this starting back up again, so I for one would like to keep this thread as an available option for checking in - just in case (my phone is moody when it comes to giving me messages/notifications).

Shall we try for either an 8 week (2 months) or a 12 week ( 3 months) challenge?
Image
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
User avatar
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck
 
Posts: 1858
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: The Great White North


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby BakingNath » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:26 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:I'd like to join.
I can do up WILD CARD challenges if we want to keep that?
-What do we think of changing #4 altogether? Being ready by 11am was never much of a challenge for me either - even on weekends. Maybe we can change it to something like eat at least one properly balanced meal per day (1/2 your plate should be veg/fruit, 1/4 your plate a protein and 1/4 a good carb) or something like that?
Or maybe changing it to a personal challenge where we work on something that each of us wants to work on?

I didn't see the tweet about this starting back up again, so I for one would like to keep this thread as an available option for checking in - just in case (my phone is moody when it comes to giving me messages/notifications).

Shall we try for either an 8 week (2 months) or a 12 week ( 3 months) challenge?


Thanks abs any Wildcards ideas are welcome !!
I am quite in favor of having #4 as a customizable one, with the only condition that each of us defines her own and shares it the first week of the challenge.
As for the duration, i don t mind either 8 or 12 weeks.Do we want to start on monday ? Do we share it in the other thread ?
If so we need at least 1 wildcard for the week, and the rest can be defined next week..
I propose to keep the xls file from the last challenge, with all its additional tabs for those who need it and update it with the dates and rules of this new challenge.
Image
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
User avatar
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Somewhere in Normandy, France


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby amynkansas » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:20 pm

BakingNath wrote:
Thanks abs any Wildcards ideas are welcome !!
I am quite in favor of having #4 as a customizable one, with the only condition that each of us defines her own and shares it the first week of the challenge.
As for the duration, i don t mind either 8 or 12 weeks.Do we want to start on monday ? Do we share it in the other thread ?
If so we need at least 1 wildcard for the week, and the rest can be defined next week..
I propose to keep the xls file from the last challenge, with all its additional tabs for those who need it and update it with the dates and rules of this new challenge.
.

I'm voting for an 8 week challenge (i lose steam if it's too many weeks in a row) but I can work with 12 if that's what the majority wants.
I think we should change #4 too.
Image
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
User avatar
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Kansas


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby BakingNath » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:22 pm

I have finalized a first draft of the spreadsheet on google drive..
Everyone can PM me one email adress so that i share it directly with them and/or send it back via mail if easiest.
Please note that i am leaving for work travel on monday and will not have any editing access on the file and only reading possibilities on the forum until thursday evening (France time :) ) that is why i started the file so early.
It is up for improvements and contains no date or wildcards for the moment, but will be available for editing by anyone as soon as shared... Any suggestions for improvement of the format and/or content of the Weeks sheets are welcome of course :)
Image
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
User avatar
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Somewhere in Normandy, France


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby amynkansas » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:14 pm

BN..Did I miss your birthday? Hope it was a good one!!!

Image
Image
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
User avatar
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Kansas


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby BakingNath » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 am

amynkansas wrote:BN..Did I miss your birthday? Hope it was a good one!!!

Image


Hum, i don t think you missed it.... it was on the 24th of july... not that recently .. but thanks anyways :) ;)
Image
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
User avatar
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Somewhere in Normandy, France


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby BakingNath » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:36 am

The challenge has not yet started, but i am proud to share with you that after almost 1 week of WW (it will be tomorrow morning) i have lost more than 1kg. Next week may be more difficult to keep up with points with 2 "picnic" lunches and 2 dinners&drinks at restaurants
Image
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ...
but are felt in the heart.
User avatar
BakingNath
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Somewhere in Normandy, France


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:35 pm

BakingNath wrote:The challenge has not yet started, but i am proud to share with you that after almost 1 week of WW (it will be tomorrow morning) i have lost more than 1kg. Next week may be more difficult to keep up with points with 2 "picnic" lunches and 2 dinners&drinks at restaurants


Woohoo! Go you! It may be difficult but you can handle the upcoming challenges this week!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby obava » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:28 pm

I want in! Nath, I am PMing you my email address.

Since the last time we did this, some of my circumstances have changed, so I will be adjusting the challenges to fit my situation. I was diagnosed with "gastroparesis" which basically means my stomach doesn't empty correctly. I can no longer eat any whole grains, nor most fruits & veggies. I also have to eat very small portions- only 1/2 to 1C at a time. And I can no longer pound the fluids or else I get too full to eat nutritive foods. It has actually been difficult for me to get more than 1000 cal/day.

Also, I am on a no-added sweetener personal challenge. I now keep a food diary and am seeing a naturopath, Dr. S. Dr S looked through my food diary and we had a come-to-Jesus talk about all the sweeteners I was ingesting: honey in my tea, brown sugar in my oatmeal, sugar in my coffee, cookies and candy in the afternoons, alcohol at night. I agreed that that wasn't healthy and so am taking a self-imposed 1 month break from it all (except sweetened yogurt, mixed half and half with plain- yogurt is important for me right now but I'm not at the point where I can eat a half cup of plain :? ). I am having no honey, no added sugars, no stevia, no agave, etc. It has been interesting- I don't feel my energy levels are different, but my palate has definitely changed. Things taste very different to me now.

In the next few weeks/months I am also thinking of going "no white starches"- no white potatoes, bread, four, etc. We'll have to see...

Soooo anyhoo I am so looking forward to Challenging with you ladies again! I've missed this- I've missed us. SeattleLisa and I were actually talking in September about trying to get another one together but neither of us felt we could take on the responsibility of creating it & nurturing it.

So thanks Amy, Manda, Nath & Abs for doing this!

xo O
User avatar
obava
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby JodieO » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:02 pm

I probably won't be keeping track of the points, but I really need to be held accountable for my choices. I've been in a junk food spiral for months now and I'm back on the processed food. This needs to stop. Breakfast is always a carb and a protein of some sort, lunch is almost always a ham & cheese sammich, and dinner used to be a protein and two veggies, but lately there have been a lot of pots of mac n yak, a lot of cookies, a lot of salty snacks, and not nearly enough healthy food. So I need to start working it in. I also need to remember to take my vitamin D daily since I'm only remembering a couple times a week. And I definitely need to start getting more sleep. I'm fully convinced that the reason I caught this cold is because I've been so lax in eating veggies and getting decent sleep.

So here are my goals:
Eat more veggies.
Eat more yogurt.
Eat at least one piece of fruit a day.
Go to bed at 11 or earlier. (except Sundays)
Spend less money on stupid shit.
Image
User avatar
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug
 
Posts: 16163
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Maine, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby absolutelyvlc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Sound like good goals all around, ladies.
So here's the low-down on the new Challenge.
PM BakingNath if you would like access to the Google Doc for tracking your points.

LET"S DO THIS!!!! ;)


HEALTHY LIVING CHALLENGE
Starting Monday, January 13th, and going for 8 weeks (i.e until Sunday, March 9th) we will be starting up a new incarnation of The Challenge. Below are daily guidelines to follow for those who want/need structure. A Google Doc will be available to track points earned on these daily tasks. If you already have a special diet your follow, or if you want to follow your own guidelines or points system, or if you just want to hang out and gab with us about your own journey to healthier living, then climb aboard. We're in this together :D

Follow these guidelines for healthier living. Try to achieve 10 points a day.
1) Sleep 7 hours per night (naps can take up the slack). You get a point for a full 7 hours.

2) Exercise at least 20 minutes per day – every day. This can be as simple as making lifestyle changes like parking at the far end of the parking lot and walking, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or doing a couple sets of squats at your desk between work tasks. Or you can do a full-on workout. Just as long as you get yourself moving more. Push yourself, even if it’s just a little, outside of your norm. It all adds up! The goal is to accumulate at least 2 – 2 1/2 hours of moderate to vigorous physical activity each week. You don't have to do it all at once. Choose a variety of activities spread throughout the week. You’ll get a ¼ point for every 5 minutes of activity you do that challenges you physically each day. Do a full 20 minutes (or more) each day to get a full point.

3) Drink a minimum of 4 cups of water per day. Keep in mind, as the Challenge goes on, this will be adjusted higher to get us all hydrated like the beautiful flowers we are. Let’s get a solid hold on 4 cups per day first. You’ll get a ¼ point for every cup you drink. Drink 4 cups, get a full point (note: 1 cup = 8 U.S. fluid ounces = approx 237ml.).

4) Green is good! Eat 6 servings of fruit or vegetables each day. You get ½ point for 3 servings and a full point for 6 servings (note: a ‘serving’ is approximately the size of your fist).

5) Remember when your mom used to tell you “drink your milk, dear” – well nothing’s changed. Dairy is still important to a healthy body. Women aged 31 – 50 are recommended 2 servings of dairy products a day.
Get a ½ point for each serving you consume per day.

6) A treat now and then isn't always a bad thing. But they stop being “treats” and start becoming “threats” when we overindulge in them. Eat no more than 400 calories per day in “indulgent foods”. You’ll get a point for every day you are master over your cravings.

7) Take 20 minutes of “ME TIME” each day. Nourishing your soul is just as important as nourishing your body. Read a book, write a poem, talk to your BFF, surf for Rob P0rn – whatever makes you happy. No half points here - you'll get a full point for 20 minutes or more.

8) Finish eating all meals (and snacks too!) by 10pm. Manage this and get a point.

9) During this round of The Challenge your 9th point will come from your efforts at self-improvement. We all have something we want to work on that will improve our health, enrich our lives, or help make us happier. The New Year (and a new Challenge) is the perfect time to tackle this head on. This will be a Challenge-long project. You set the parameters for how you’ll award yourself points each day/week/month. The end of The Challenge doesn't have to be your finish line, but it could be. Since this is YOUR project only you can define it. But deadlines do help us achieve results – so set a goal for the end of The Challenge to either complete your self-improvement project, or to achieve something along your journey to success. Share your self-improvement project with the rest of us on The Challenge thread – we’re all here to cheer each other on. If the details of your self-improvement project are too personal to share, tell us your timeline for whatever benchmark(s) your want to achieve. We don’t need to know your deep and darkest to be able to cheer you on. We just need to let you know that we’re here to help you on your journey!

10) WILD CARD – this will change each week. A creative task that will keep The Challenge exciting! Wild Cards might be a daily or weekly task. Points will be detailed in the Wild Card description each week.

KEEP FIT AND LIVE HEALTHY
________________________________
Wild Cards
Week 1:(Jan 13 - Jan 19) : Hello, I'm Edward Cullen, I didn't get a chance to introduce myself last week.
Some of us have been at this for a while, while others may be joining us for the first time. Either way, it would be great to know you better. Tell us anything you’d like to share with us – your name, where you live, which “other” member of the Wolf Pack your secretly dream about, where you hunt for mountain lions. Whatever. Besides whatever personal deets you choose to share, this week’s Wild Card task is to tell us about your personal self-improvement goal for this Challenge. You get all 10 points for the day when you share this with us!
Image
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
User avatar
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck
 
Posts: 1858
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: The Great White North


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby mandaliz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm getting a head start on the wild card introduction/personal goal stuffs so here goes:

I'm Amanda. In case you didn't already know, I'm the mom of a little girl who'll be 7 weeks this Tuesday the 14th. For the very first challenge we did on here we had to state the reason why we were joining and mine was to take care of myself & get healthy since I'd been trying to get preggers for-ev-er and eventually I got there so thanks for all the support y'all! Anyway, the sleep point may be a little challenging when I have to get up one or twice a night to feed her but I'll do my best. I like to knit when I have the time and my hands aren't hurting. I love love love to read am in grad school to be a school librarian.

My personal goal will be to remember to take my meds every day. I am really struggling with some pretty severe postpartum depression. My doctor changed & upped my meds in addition to prescribing me counseling and I have to actually remember to take them consistently so I can take care of myself. I also need to remember to take my bc pills because, as much as I want a 2nd child, getting pregnant again so soon will most likely not help my mental health. Additionally, I need to keep taking prenatal vitamins since I'm breastfeeding. So my goal: Meds. Take them.

So that's me in a nutshell!
User avatar
mandaliz
Alice's stuntcar driver
 
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Virginia


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby obava » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:14 pm

mandaliz wrote: For the very first challenge we did on here we had to state the reason why we were joining and mine was to take care of myself & get healthy since I'd been trying to get preggers for-ev-er and eventually I got there so thanks for all the support y'all!


I am totally taking credit for this baby, BTW. And her name is Plaidly. No matter what her "mother" calls her ;)
User avatar
obava
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby SeattleLisa » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Hello, All. I haven't been around these parts in a long, long time. Thank you Obava for letting me know this is starting again.

Just a drive by for now, will post more later. Just returned from cycling!! woot! :)
User avatar
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: just east of Forks


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby obava » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 pm

I've got my Challenge planned out, so I'll take a cue from Manda & do my introduction tonight.

My name is obava (not really :D ) and I did my first Challenge on here in the spring of 2010. It literally changed my life. I met so many awesome people, many who are part of my daily life (online, but that still counts, right?) and have made so many positive changes. My life has gone through many changes, also. At that time I was the single mom of 2 kids, and was finishing up graduate school. Now I have only 1 kid still at home, and started my 2nd post-graduate job a few months ago (although I'm not loving this new position).

So I already said I've got some new medical stuff going on, hence the low-fiber diet. But I have also battled depression for many years, and these Challenges have helped me tremendously. Some new things I started in the last few weeks that I'm making part of my Challenge are "light" and "good." The "light": I got a UVB light box and want to use it for at least 30 minutes a day. Sometimes I forget, and I have created many, many positive habits thanks to the Challenges so I'd like the light box to be one of those. The "good": I made a Good Things jar- a place to put in note about surprises, accomplished goals, beauty, LOLs, memories worth saving, and daily blessings. I am a pessimist and constantly focus on the negative in life- my friends and family used to call me "Eeyore." This jar is to keep me focusing on the positives! (When I told my DS about the jar, he looked at me sceptically and said "No offense, mom, but I don't really see that catching on" :roll: ). I also want to start socializing more. I have turned into a veritable hermit but want to break out of my cave and start interacting with human beings more often.

So I guess my project is to help fight my depression, and I'm choosing different ways to do that- positives, socializing, less internet/tv, light box, more exercise. I also have never been on a grown-up vacation but am now dying to get away. I have never really been close to my sister, but I want that to change, so she & I are planning a grown up vacation (no kids! adult time! sister bonding!) at the end of this year. We haven't decided where we want to go, but we do know we want WARM and TROPICAL. Any suggestions are welcome! I haven't been anywhere, and she's been almost everywhere- we want someplace that's new to us both. We're thinking the Caribbean- Curacao (where we have some family), the Dominican Republic, etc.

Thanks to previous Challenges, some of this round's won't challenge me at all, so I've created my own:
Drink 4+ C water/day
Exercise 20+ min Sat & Sun (3.5pts/day) [I already exercise every work day- it's the weekends I don't do]
1C juicer juice/day [since I can't eat fruits & veg, I'm going to try juicing- we'll see how my stomach likes it]
Light box 30 min/day
Only 1-2 alcoholic drinks (measured!)/day
No more than 2 small treats/day
Reading time 7pm/day [I used to be very good about this but have slacked off & chosen internet/tv over reading]
Socialize (7pts/week)
Add to Good Things jar/day

These may change, depending on how things go with me. I'm really looking forward to this new Challenge!
User avatar
obava
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby obava » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:Hello, All. I haven't been around these parts in a long, long time. Thank you Obava for letting me know this is starting again.

Just a drive by for now, will post more later. Just returned from cycling!! woot! :)



LISA MY INTERNET WIFE!!!!!


I love you truly, madly, and deeply. :P
User avatar
obava
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby amynkansas » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:03 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:Hello, All. I haven't been around these parts in a long, long time. Thank you Obava for letting me know this is starting again.

Just a drive by for now, will post more later. Just returned from cycling!! woot! :)


LISA!!!!!!!!!!
Image
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
User avatar
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Kansas


Re: What'd you expect?Coffee,luncheons & malts?No,Not the ma

Postby SeattleLisa » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:32 pm

SeattleLisa wrote:Hello, All. I haven't been around these parts in a long, long time. Thank you Obava for letting me know this is starting again.

Just a drive by for now, will post more later. Just returned from cycling!! woot! :)


God, how I love you!
User avatar
SeattleLisa
Twilosophy Major
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: just east of Forks

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest