Go to footer

Holiday Hootenanny

Wanna talk about your kids? Wanna talk about how your man will never live up to Rob? Wanna talk about your final you will fail b/c instead of studying you read "Wide Awake?" Wanna give virtual hugs to some new friends? Do that here- in Rob's flat- the home of daily hang-outs (BYOH- bring your own Heineken)

Moderators: Rob's Flat Mods, Challenge Mods

Re: Holiday Hootenanny

Postby absolutelyvlc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm suddenly craving Cinnabon
And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start to mould a new reality
"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
absolutelyvlc
Friend of The Tuck

Postby Kay Kay » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 pm

kelbel75 wrote:Happy belated Birthday to Kay Kay! :D

YAY! Two sexy beasts who were saved from my nightmare lucid dream!
I found these on ADF from the new trailer. YOM! I'm pretty sure this show will make me like the books better.

Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:
dancing_echoes wrote:At least he doesn't have those horrible ear covers on in that shot! Those are the bane of my winter season, along with those silly knit headbands with a flower on them. :? :D

:? :? :? :( :( :( :(

So... they're earmuffs without the headband? Like clip ons? Did he lose his beanie?
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi everyone!

I miss it here.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Kay Kay » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Muffinmom wrote:Happy Belated Birthday, KK!!!Image

Yay! Thanks MM and GG! It was the least eventful birthday to date. I did get a few gift cards so I can get some clothes though. Desperately needed. I tried on all my pre-baby clothes and they *fit* but not well. Shopping spree!!!!!!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby Kay Kay » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 pm

JodieO wrote:Hi everyone!

I miss it here.

I miss it here too! I check it everyday but it's hard to post from my phone. The second I even LOOK at my computer O'Plaidly starts fussing. Everyone needs to stop being so busy. Right now!
Kay Kay
Alice's stuntcar driver

Postby JodieO » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm

absolutelyvlc wrote:I'm suddenly craving Cinnabon

I've never had Cinnabon, but it sounds delicious.
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby JodieO » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 pm

This place has been quiet lately. Know what happens when it gets quiet here? I decorate.

JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Muffinmom » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 am

OK Jodie – I guess we need a topic here? How about a plea for help? I could use some flatmates help if you’re so inclined/ talented… I want to new ringtones for my iphone – aside from buying them does anyone have recs on how to get them?

Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby Alexandra » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 am

HELLO! Yes I am still alive and I'm sorry I've been MIA lately. :| It has been a hectic few weeks and weekends, but the big events are over now, and I can get settled back into my usually managable chaos! Yay. I've missed you all.

I woke up this morning dreaming about a big party at DE's house in the country. Funny, though I got there on the subway and walked across the street in NYC and down a long driveway to her fabulous country house. It was some sort of Flatmate gathering. Everyone was there or on their way. I only remember a few details - no idea what the occasion was, but there were supposed to be fireworks later - damn I woke up before the fireworks. (I love fireworks!) Anyway, I was sitting inside the house on the sofa having a long talk with Ron. Just chatting away . . . and then I saw someone with red hair outside walking up to the house. And I yelled "Oh! That's either Jodie or Lori. I need to go! I'll be back in a bit." Yes. I left Ron for you ladies. I hope you appreciate me. Then I woke up.

It is true: I would leave Ron sitting alone to run and see you ladies.
ImageImageImageImageImage
sets the standards for all bitches
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby amynkansas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Alexandra wrote:HELLO! Yes I am still alive and I'm sorry I've been MIA lately. :| It has been a hectic few weeks and weekends, but the big events are over now, and I can get settled back into my usually managable chaos! Yay. I've missed you all.

I woke up this morning dreaming about a big party at DE's house in the country. Funny, though I got there on the subway and walked across the street in NYC and down a long driveway to her fabulous country house. It was some sort of Flatmate gathering. Everyone was there or on their way. I only remember a few details - no idea what the occasion was, but there were supposed to be fireworks later - damn I woke up before the fireworks. (I love fireworks!) Anyway, I was sitting inside the house on the sofa having a long talk with Ron. Just chatting away . . . and then I saw someone with red hair outside walking up to the house. And I yelled "Oh! That's either Jodie or Lori. I need to go! I'll be back in a bit." Yes. I left Ron for you ladies. I hope you appreciate me. Then I woke up.

It is true: I would leave Ron sitting alone to run and see you ladies.

I think it is so nice that Ron shows up to many of our Flat gathering... and it was not overlooked that you left him to join the newcomers. I'm not sure I would RUN to you guys (as I would look very funny) ... but I WOULD walk REALLY REALLY fast.
Here for all your inappropriate photoshopping needs
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby dancing_echoes » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm

JodieO wrote:
absolutelyvlc wrote:I'm suddenly craving Cinnabon

I've never had Cinnabon, but it sounds delicious.

It smells way better than it actually is sadly.
Image ImageImage
dancing_echoes
Rob's Friend with Benefits

Location: On Facebook, "investigating" the Britpack's whereabouts

Postby amynkansas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Dear Crafty People (or non-crafty people who might KNOW crafty people)
I have 2 sets of red fake suede drapes and I want to paint them to fit in with my new bedroom colors (yet to be determined... but definitely not red). But I don't want them to be all stiff (TWSS). I really don't want to have to spend $80+ on new curtains. Do we know if this will work? I would add fabric paint medium to the paint. I thought I would just use some wall paint that I have left over and tint it to make it a totally free endeavor. But if it doesn't work out, I will have to go out immediately and get new curtains/drapes and I don't really want to do that.

Thoughts?
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:15 pm

amynkansas wrote:Dear Crafty People (or non-crafty people who might KNOW crafty people)
I have 2 sets of red fake suede drapes and I want to paint them to fit in with my new bedroom colors (yet to be determined... but definitely not red). But I don't want them to be all stiff (TWSS). I really don't want to have to spend $80+ on new curtains. Do we know if this will work? I would add fabric paint medium to the paint. I thought I would just use some wall paint that I have left over and tint it to make it a totally free endeavor. But if it doesn't work out, I will have to go out immediately and get new curtains/drapes and I don't really want to do that.

Thoughts?

How big are the drapes?
What color are you looking for?
Are they flat rectangle types or are they gathered or swaggy in any way?
Curtains are so super easy to make for way less than $80. Do you know anyone who sews?
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby amynkansas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 pm

JodieO wrote:
amynkansas wrote:Dear Crafty People (or non-crafty people who might KNOW crafty people)

Thoughts?

How big are the drapes?
Curtains are so super easy to make for way less than $80. Do you know anyone who sews?

They are just a hem at the top and hem at the bottom (and lined). And even I can sew things straight-ish. But I guess I was trying to spend the least amount of money as possible. I am planning on painting the walls and that will be about $50 in paint alone and then I will want to buy a few towels because our bathroom is attached to the bedroom. And I might need a new little rug. I don't think I can start from scratch and have it be less than $15 (2 pairs of long curtains)
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby JodieO » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:34 pm

amynkansas wrote:
JodieO wrote:

Thoughts?

How big are the drapes?

They are just a hem at the top and hem at the bottom (and lined). And even I can sew things straight-ish. But I guess I was trying to spend the least amount of money as possible. I am planning on painting the walls and that will be about $50 in paint alone and then I will want to buy a few towels because our bathroom is attached to the bedroom. And I might need a new little rug. I don't think I can start from scratch and have it be less than $15 (2 pairs of long curtains)

In my experience painting fabric makes it really stiff. Unless it's a thinner fabric in a lighter color that you can more or less dye with a paint of some sort. If they are faux suede and red, you might not end up with a desirable result. Maybe put one panel in a bag and take it to your local fabric or craft store or even curtain shop to see if they have any advice.

You could always scope out the bargain bin of your local fabric shop to see if there are any decent fabrics going on sale. If they have an app (I know Joann's does) they are forever having coupons available and sales and stuff.

You could also look on ebay for curtains. Sell your red ones for new curtain money! Or check your local thrift store.

I say this as someone who decided it would be easier to paint the room to go with my existing curtains rather than figure out new ones..
JodieO
Comber of Bear Skin Rug

Postby Muffinmom » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:54 am

Amy - I agree with JodieO, painting will make the fabric stiff unless you're dying it (which I don't believe you're planning on doing). Are there any fabric outlets in your area? We have a couple by me, and they've been a goldmine in the past for finding cheap cheap fabric (as in $3-5/yd for upholstery fabric). I'd even be happy to scout them for you if you want, just send me a snippet of the fabric you wanted to replace (or a descriptin) so I can find a smilar texture, I can then text you a picture of the colors I find in the store. I might even be able to send you a snippet back first. LMK!
Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner!
http://anafiftyshades.blogspot.com
Muffinmom
Berry Cobbler Enthusiast

Postby lori_seals » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:46 pm

"JodieO"]
amynkansas wrote:
JodieO wrote:

Thoughts?

How big are the drapes?

In my experience painting fabric makes it really stiff. Unless it's a thinner fabric in a lighter color that you can more or less dye with a paint of some sort. If they are faux suede and red, you might not end up with a desirable result. Maybe put one panel in a bag and take it to your local fabric or craft store or even curtain shop to see if they have any advice.

You could always scope out the bargain bin of your local fabric shop to see if there are any decent fabrics going on sale. If they have an app (I know Joann's does) they are forever having coupons available and sales and stuff.

You could also look on ebay for curtains. Sell your red ones for new curtain money! Or check your local thrift store.

I say this as someone who decided it would be easier to paint the room to go with my existing curtains rather than figure out new ones..[/quote]

:? All of this is why my walls and curtains are the same since I bought the place in 2002.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
lori_seals
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby cedvanhalen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Heeeeeey! It took me forever to try and remember my password. Also, my name is silly and I can't remember the story behind it. Too bad I can't change that.

Anywoos, KK and I were discussing the suede curtain situation on the tweetie. My 2 cents:

1. Painting it will make them stiff.
2. There is suede fabric dye, but I'm not sure how well it will work if you're starting out with red. It depends on what color you're trying to make them. Obviously going from red to black will be easier than going from red to yellow. Apparently Rit Dye has a color remover that you might be able to use first, but I've never used it and don't know how it will work on suede
3. If you do end up getting new curtains, you can get fabric pretty cheap with sales and coupons (JoAnn takes competitor coupons and will match competitor prices/sales if you bring them a copy of the sale flyer). Another idea: if you find cheap curtains at a thrift store (or other cheap fabric that you can make into curtains), you could always re-dye them if they aren't the right color. Look for light colored cotton or linen. They're the easiest to dye. And if you do dye them, make sure you use gloves. Otherwise your hands are going to look like you have a skin disease for a good couple of days. Learn from my laziness.

Also, take the lining off of your current curtains and re-use it if you make new curtains. That way you don't have to spend money on new lining fabric.
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby Alexandra » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:04 pm

lori_seals wrote:All of this is why my walls and curtains are the same since I bought the place in 2002.

This. We are soul mates. (If any of our wonderful artsy flatmates come to visit my house, I'm going to have to turn down the lights and get them drunk so they won't notice my crappy/non-existent decorating skills.)
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

Postby lori_seals » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Alexandra wrote:
lori_seals wrote:All of this is why my walls and curtains are the same since I bought the place in 2002.

This. We are soul mates. (If any of our wonderful artsy flatmates come to visit my house, I'm going to have to turn down the lights and get them drunk so they won't notice my crappy/non-existent decorating skills.)

dust, cat and dog hair count as decorating, right?!
lori_seals
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby lori_seals » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Chris laughs at me because I totally freak out about people coming over. My house is cluttered and shabby and NOT nicely decorted. Why would I want people to see it?!
lori_seals
Dick & Clare's Neighbor

Postby amynkansas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:47 pm

lori_seals wrote:Chris laughs at me because I totally freak out about people coming over. My house is cluttered and shabby and NOT nicely decorted. Why would I want people to see it?!

my house is rarely uncluttered and dust free. If any of you stop by, please give me an hour's warning so I can hide my mess in the basement and spray pledge to make it smell clean. Of course my small dog will probably distract you with her jumping and licking.

I don't redecorate very often and am disappointed in the fact that if you change one element it seems like the rest of the room needs to be changed with it. The culprit this time was getting a new mattress. we got a larger mattress (KING ME!) and so then we had to get a new bed/headboard. Our previous bedroom set was circa 1992... so it was time. then we had to get a new comforter. The new GREY comforter (the only one we agreed on) does not match the gold walls and red curtains (which are FAKE suede). Paint will come last.

I am a bold color sort of person and my walls reflect that. But I think I will start using neutral tones on the big stuff and leave the bold stuff to accessories so they can be changed without all the hubbub. (my dark reddish purple couch is a prime example of what NOT to do)

This isn't any sort of decorating emergency but I really appreciate all of you chiming in. We even go Whitney to visit!!!!!
amynkansas
Provider of Plaid

Postby cedvanhalen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:50 pm

amynkansas wrote:
lori_seals wrote:Chris laughs at me because I totally freak out about people coming over. My house is cluttered and shabby and NOT nicely decorted. Why would I want people to see it?!

This isn't any sort of decorating emergency but I really appreciate all of you chiming in. We even go Whitney to visit!!!!!

I'm always up for decorating and crafty talk! I missed this place!

I've been watching a lot of HGTV and DIY Network lately, and then the other day I was looking at houses for sale online. I think it is about time for us to move house. So, if any of you want to send some extra money my way, that'd be nice.
ImageImageImageImage
Because Silly Face Rob= Best Rob.
cedvanhalen
Rob's Eyebrow Plucker

Postby Alexandra » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 am

Happy Monday! :roll: Around here the weekend was a total washout. Rain, rain, rain on Saturday. Sunday was a real treat with rain, snow, sleet and hail. :roll: :roll: :roll: So now that it is Monday and everyone is back to work and school we have gorgeous blue skies and it is supposed to reach 65 degrees today.

I hope that this means that spring will finally stick around and the flowers can bloom without worry of being buried under a foot of snow.

Did anyone see Moon and UC's post with 2014 Twi news on twitter or TN today? While I don't ever enjoy news of someone's divorce, it was great to see them back talking about Twi - if only for the moment. ;)
Alexandra
Runs with Vampires

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rob's Flat